• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Omen Trailer

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm expecting one final trailer the week of launch.

Also, I wonder if they'll use parts of the omen trailer in tv advertising?

Mailbox

One thing that I didn't quite get from this:
Why is Luna mirroring Noctis?
Similar events? Both chasing what they think is a path to the other? Maybe both being tricked?

Maybe this trailer is about how there are 2 bad paths that can go down and in an attempt to stop them both, Regis shielded Noctis and tried to make Luna and Noct meet sooner... or something.

Also, lil thing; despite being beaten around again in this trailer (topic for another day), we do see Luna as being somewhat capable. She can shield herself, she definitely uses that spear as her weapon (when we all originally thought it was just a way to summon Leviathan), and its implied that she can hold her own against a behemoth. I do also like how we get a more somber look through the reflections. We've only ever seen the "gotta set shit up for Noct" side of her so far, and that one split second reflection of her in the trailer did more to make her interesting and at least somewhat 3 dimensional than other stuff we've seen (i haven't seen Kingsglaive, just as an fyi) I like how this trailer portrayed all the characters involved is what I'm saying :p

Just watched this. SO GOOD.

FFXV is clearly a deal-with-the-devil story. I love this.
I can't wait for noctis to go to Korean pop band hell.

'cigars are evil you dont need them
You should advertise other products
What a worthy fella
Wearing Armani sweaters
Here in Korean pop band hell'

Square have always been good at producing trailers and generating hype for an upcoming title, and this was no different. Incredible!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that I didn't quite get from this:
Why is Luna mirroring Noctis?
Similar events? Both chasing what they think is a path to the other? Maybe both being tricked?

Maybe this trailer is about how there are 2 bad paths that can go down and in an attempt to stop them both, Regis shielded Noctis and tried to make Luna and Noct meet sooner... or something.

Also, lil thing; despite being beaten around again in this trailer (topic for another day), we do see Luna as being somewhat capable. She can shield herself, she definitely uses that spear as her weapon (when we all originally thought it was just a way to summon Leviathan), and its implied that she can hold her own against a behemoth. I do also like how we get a more somber look through the reflections. We've only ever seen the "gotta set shit up for Noct" side of her so far, and that one split second reflection of her in the trailer did more to make her interesting and at least somewhat 3 dimensional than other stuff we've seen (i haven't seen Kingsglaive, just as an fyi) I like how this trailer portrayed all the characters involved is what I'm saying :p

Maybe the actions taken by Luna will somehow drive her to the dark side and she knows it, as does Regis. And Noct will still have to kill her, except she'll be Dark Luna instead.

Mailbox

Maybe the actions taken by Luna will somehow drive her to the dark side and she knows it, as does Regis. And Noct will still have to kill her, except she'll be Dark Luna instead.

Nah, she'd be "New Luna". :^)

Just saw it again like 13 times after 2 days.
This trailer is amazing guys. Amazing!

Its such a far cry from the tgs trailer which was poorly edited and many scenes overstayed their welcome.

I honestly think this game makes a very good case for the inclusion of cg trailers :3

I don't know about that but...

P-wOVY.gif

It is interesting that you can clearly see (at least in the video) that in the reflection Noctis jumps into, the white dog's reflection is the black dog, and Noctis' reflection is Luna. I haven't seen anyone who noticed that or at least no one has spoken about it. The Luna reflection on the train is obvious, but this one is so subtle that I only noticed in on Halloween when I was watching the trailer again.

I wonder what it all could mean. Is it just saying that they are connected, or are we supposed to "see the truth in the reflection"? Since the true form of the white dog is the black dog, maybe it is implying that some or all of the scenes where we see Noctis, we are actually supposed to see Luna? It's pretty odd, I wonder if it'll actually mean much in the game.

I have a feeling the dualism is just supposed to make clear the bond of fate they share, and that it isn't even necessarily about love but instead just destiny, but I don't know. The theories that maybe Luna will actually turn evil at some point instead of Noctis are certainly interesting. Perhaps that is the "trick" of the omen Regis sees, he just sees the surface message, that Noctis will be corrupted, but he perhaps misses the deeper clues in the reflections, that Luna is the one that needs to be watched closely and protected from corruption.

If the crystal is really the evil entity Regis is speaking to, I wonder if the story at the beginning of "the crystal seeking a king of light" also has a twist, that it isn't talking about Ravus or Noctis, but of Luna or maybe on a meta level the marriage of Noctis (the king) and Luna (the light). I don't know. :p

Don't some people say maybe
Ardyn is the who Regis was talking too
? In that case, the crystal unlocking some special power upon the marriage of Noctis and Luna makes some interesting sense, since apparently
Ardyn suggested the marriage, or at least delivered the demand, so he'd have something to gain

I don't know though, this is pretty confusing. XD Hopefully the game is equally bewildering at times, with lots of interesting answers too. A really good story is what XV needs most I think.

.JayZii

Banned
Stella is "Dark Luna".
I don't know about that but...

It is interesting that you can clearly see (at least in the video) that in the reflection Noctis jumps into, the white dog's reflection is the black dog, and Noctis' reflection is Luna. I haven't seen anyone who noticed that or at least no one has spoken about it. The Luna reflection on the train is obvious, but this one is so subtle that I only noticed in on Halloween when I was watching the trailer again.
It was mentioned a lot earlier in the thread.

Stella is "Dark Luna".

It was mentioned a lot earlier in the thread.

Ah OK. Maybe not in the first few pages but a while ago still?

Stella was never an Oracle right? And the Light/Dark relationship was never established as well? I wonder if they reworked her into Luna in order to ramp up the dualism even further. I wonder what her role will ultimately be.. Luna and Noctis were childhood friends as well, but apparently Stella meet Noctis just before the invasion?

It seems like there may be a lot more to Luna than Stella (to be fair we've seen much more of Luna than Stella now), even if I preferred Stella's more apparent power comparable to Noctis. Perhaps it was for the best to reinvent the character? Though why they even bothered to change the name is a little unknown to me, is it just to promote some more prominent moon connection in XV compared to Versus XIII?

OrionX

Stella was never an Oracle right? And the Light/Dark relationship was never established as well? I wonder if they reworked her into Luna in order to ramp up the dualism even further. I wonder what her role will ultimately be.. Luna and Noctis were childhood friends as well, but apparently Stella meet Noctis just before the invasion?

Yeah, Stella wasn't an Oracle and had similar powers to Noctis. It seemed like she and Noctis had never met, but I think I've seen that debated some.

It seems like there may be a lot more to Luna than Stella (to be fair we've seen much more of Luna than Stella now), even if I preferred Stella's more apparent power comparable to Noctis. Perhaps it was for the best to reinvent the character? Though why they even bothered to change the name is a little unknown to me, is it just to promote some more prominent moon connection in XV compared to Versus XIII?

I've always wondered why the name change was really necessary as well. They could've kept the name and changed whatever they wanted about the character, unless like you said they wanted to tie her closer to the moon for some story purpose.

Anyway, the Omen trailer gives me hope that Luna hasn't been shelved as another side character, and might actually have a very important role to play after all. The impression I got from the trailer is that Luna and Noctis are tied together by fate. Their actions and choices are linked somehow and in the end, things will come to a head, just probably not in the way Regis foresaw since he's taken measures to prevent that specific outcome.

bunkitz

I would assume this theory's been discussed here before. I only just saw it and it's pretty crazy, but... I can dig it. Never knew that "Tenebrae" meant "darkness," so that's a bit of a mind-blowing discovery for me. And if I recall correctly, Umbra is the one who delivers that letter from Luna to Noctis, right? Would make the light/darkness naming make even more sense to me.

I do really like the idea of Noctis and Luna forcefully being pitted against each other, though, in that it mirrors Noctis and Stella reluctantly fighting each other. Not that I'd want that to happen, and Noctis being brainwashed by Niflheim or something seems awful, but it's still cool. Especially thematically, what with the light/darkness thing.

I know it's futile to hope for some lovey-dovey, happy ending for Noctis and Luna, but... I still can't help but hope for it. I should prepare my heart for the heartbreak.

TheMan

Have impression of this game improved? People seemed to be down on the demo, and previews from a while back shit on the driving sequences for various reasons.

carlsojo

Finally watched the trailer. Boy was that a mistake. My hype had been simmering in the back of my mind for a long time, but now holy shit do I need this game.

Finally watched the trailer. Boy was that a mistake. My hype had been simmering in the back of my mind for a long time, but now holy shit do I need this game.

Make sure it's the last trailer you watch. The last trailer always goes a step too far and gives too much info. Good trailer but not sure if noctis dad is as fatherly as we think. Looks like the fathers sins plays a role.

LTTP

Was looking for the cinematic where Noctis has a CGI dream. Pleasantly surprised the CGI actually came from this trailer (that I missed being on media blackout).

Holy shit this trailer!

I can imagine this getting people super hyped before the game, but having played thru the majority of the chapters... the added context has made the emotional elements from the trailer hit that much harder.

Probably one of my favorite trailers this year.
I almost wish they released this in a commercial version to air along side with the other official commercials.

This is the type of trailer/marketing you see for western released games, like Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Halo, etc..

TacosNSalsa

LTTP

Was looking for the cinematic where Noctis has a CGI dream. Pleasantly surprised the CGI actually came from this trailer (that I missed being on media blackout).

Holy shit this trailer!

I can imagine this getting people super hyped before the game, but having played thru the majority of the chapters... the added context has made the emotional elements from the trailer hit that much harder.

Probably one of my favorite trailers this year.
I almost wish they released this in a commercial version to air along side with the other official commercials.

This is the type of trailer/marketing you see for western released games, like Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Halo, etc..

It was extremely well done..and to those that asked in case it wasn't answered the song is Endless by Really Slow Motion

Top Bottom