• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Omen Trailer

Koozek

Note: My command of Japanese is at a Basic level, I would appreciate if anyone fluent in the language can rectify my translations.

With regards to the last few lines in the trailer, I started to look at the Japanese subs hosted on Square Enix Japan's YouTube channel to see if the translations were any different. Interestingly, the last few lines of dialogue play out a bit differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsCOPWGkLbs

Regis: これまでにどれだけの命が犠牲になったことか。
(So far, how many lives must be sacrificed)

Being:すべての犠牲は未来の王のため。そして我々の使命終わる。
(All of the sacrifices are for the sake of the Future King. And then Our Mission* will end)

Regis:王は必ず使命を果たす。
(The King will surely fulfill the Mission*)/(The King will surely fulfill his responsibility)

Being: 当然のことだ。
(Of course.)

The bolded text is different from its English counterpart.Notably the Being says nothing about looking forward to a specific death, but instead states that all many of sacrifices are for Noctis' sake. And Regis' line there refers to Noctis.

Another thing is the Being's usage of the term 我々 (Ware Ware), a plural form of the first person pronoun, indicating It is speaking on behalf of a larger group, different from the English version's usage of "I".

*But the most interesting thing is that the Being refers to a 使命 which means Mission or Responsibility or Task. However, in the context of Fabula Nova Crystallis, 使命 was translated as "Focus".
Thank you for this!

Uhm, but wait, does the English voice say "I have seen many deaths, but now I'm only looking forward to one. And the I can rest." instead of "All of the sacrifices are for the sake of the Future King[/B]. And then Our Mission* will end."!? Or am I overlooking something? How is that not an huge difference again, like the changes with Ignis? Man, I worry about the English script more and more.

Can you PM me the game you're talking about?
That TPS game wouldn't happen to be (SUPER SPOILER!)
Spec Ops: The Line
would it? It's the only game I can think of right now.

EDIT: Or it may well be
The Last of Us
also.
Me too, please!
I hope Son of Sparda was talking about The Last of Us cause that's what I was referring to.
Whaaa I thought you were talking about
Spec Ops:The Line
too

In the Last of Us
Joel isn't a bad guy particularly, that's how almost every adult is in this world.He does those things in order to survire

where in the case of Spec Ops
the protagonist does those because he is ordered to, without knowing much and believing in what he does as good

which I think is more in line with FFXV
Okay, didn't expect many people to be interested in knowing the game's name.

Well, I was definitely talking about
Spec Ops The Line

In that game
you unintentionally do something horrible and cause many innocent people do die. The protag can not face and accept that reality so he kinda goes insane and becomes delusional. Sees and blames an enemy that is not there. Because of his delusions he causes many more people to die including his own comrades. At the end of the game when he finally finds the enemy that he is been looking for, the reality comes crashing down. The enemy has been dead for a long long time. The protag himself has become a villain and killed many people due to his insanity.

The game does this astonishingly. Not only the reveal is mind blowingly good, but the fact that you could have seen some of it coming if you had been more perceptive makes the whole story that much more amazing.

At the very end of the game
finally the US army finds you and you have an option to attack them and get yourself killed (as a way to atone for your sins) or you can drop your weapon and be rescued as the sole survivor.

If you do the latter, you are treated with a cutscene in which you are in a car with other soldiers and one of the sees all the bodies and carnage (that you have caused but they aren't aware of) and asks "How did you survive all of this, sir?". And after seeing everything that you've done there is only one true answer and it really hits home "I didn't."

Story in that game was truly something else. I thought sappyday was referring to that game. Now I'm kinda disappointed that he wasn't.

Thank you for this!

Uhm, but wait, does the English voice say "I have seen many deaths, but now I'm only looking forward to one. And then I can rest." instead of "All of the sacrifices are for the sake of the Future King. And then Our Mission* will end."!? Or am I overlooking something? How is that not an huge difference again, like the changes with Ignis? Man, I worry about the English script more and more.

That was the one strange moment I was referring to. Both instances of the line are quite different from each other. The rest of the dialogue is similar though.

This was another reason why I took 使命 to possibly mean Focus. Since the English version mentions the Being can "rest" upon its fulfillment provides a parallel to FFXIII and how Focus worked there.

Okay, didn't expect many people to be interested in knowing the game's name.

Well, I was definitely talking about
Spec Ops The Line
WOO! I win! I actually haven't played that game but had it spoiled for me and it came to mind when you mentioned the villain protagonist. I should play that game...

It's crazy how many comments I've seen here and elsewhere of people saying they didn't know much/weren't interested in this game and then saw this trailer and are now intrigued.

Well done, trailer. Well done.

wmlk

Thank you for this!

Uhm, but wait, does the English voice say "I have seen many deaths, but now I'm only looking forward to one. And the I can rest." instead of "All of the sacrifices are for the sake of the Future King[/B]. And then Our Mission* will end."!? Or am I overlooking something? How is that not an huge difference again, like the changes with Ignis? Man, I worry about the English script more and more.

I wouldn't worry about this part. Personally, I like the English version because it keeps you guessing. It's not ambiguous in the context of the game either. I'm pretty sure Regis and whatever the Crystal is know what they're talking about.

We wouldn't be having a whole bunch of pages in this thread if it weren't ambiguous.

It's crazy how many comments I've seen here and elsewhere of people saying they didn't know much/weren't interested in this game and then saw this trailer and are now intrigued.

Well done, trailer. Well done.
A dark trailer reminiscent of Versus can do wonders on persuading people, since the look and feel of Versus is what got people's attention to it in the first place.

Plus CGI is awesome and the music goes great with the trailer.

LordKasual

Banned
I think I understand Regis conversation with that mysterious voice.
When the voice says it's looking forward to one more death, I think it means Regis'. He must die so the omen won't come to pass. Regis then asks the gods to forgive him, because with his death, there will be no barrier. Lucis will fall.

You know what, that makes sense.

Hey...I think i'm onto something else as well! This trailer offers interesting insights. Long post, spoilers incoming, sorry but i'm at work and quite bored so here goes

Link, leads to kingsglaive spoilers

TL;DR version --
it's clear that Ifrit and Hellfire are integral to the story, but how deep it goes is probably a really big plotpoint.

Long version:

So, this is making an observation about the
difference in teleportation energy from when King Regis was alive in kingsglaive vs. after he died, and Nyx made a pact with the Old Wall to borrow their powers.

- When Regis is alive, all teleportation has a mixture of red and blue sparks. These sparks are violent, and animates almost like fire.
- When Regis dies and Nyx borrows the power, it's the typical wispy, calm blue that Noctis also has.
- In Kingsglaive there's actually a scene where a glaive fries an enemy simply by porting close to them.
- Also, on occasion you can see their clothes briefly simmering for a short time after teleporting.
- Those who put on the Ring of Lucii and are deemed unworthy are set ablaze in a blue/red flame.
- Notice how Regis and Nyx both, while using the King's magic, have been seen igniting a flame in their hands. Which is funny, because Fire isn't really a staple of their power...

- Nyx does not have any trace of the red sparks. When he first gains the power.

Now, about the Omen trailer...

First off, I doubt this is an oversight by the team who did the CG, for reasons to follow

- We know Noctis and his friends have the calmer version of the sparks. And seeing as Regis is already dead by the time Noctis finds out and he does not have the Ring of Lucii yet, we can conclude this is because Noctis' powers are his own.

- But in the Omen trailer, notice that Noctis is using the same sparks as the Kingsglaive. Two possibilities:

- 1) Noctis' powers have begun to go down the same road as King Regis' powers. Perhaps he is overusing them? Or perhaps it has something to do with the darkness that takes him by the end?

- 2) King Regis is still alive somehow, and Noctis is loaning his power. Perhaps because he never got the time to hone his own, and borrows from his more powerful father. This could explain why, as the omen moves forward, his powers become more and more unreliable.

- The Omen ends with an evil noctis surrounded by hellfire, murdering Luna, and taking her trident. Pryna, a sort of symbol for Luna takes on an evil hellhound look, similar to the Cerebrus surrounding them. As if it's been leading him into his own demise.

- The omen belongs to King Regis. The conversation with the Crystal at the end is looking forward to a death.

- If he was looking forward to Regis' death...that explains the "You will take responsibility" and "Gods forgive me" line, because the crystal will be taken and Insomnia will certainly fall, leaving the future completely in the hands of Noctis and his friends.

And, finally...

- Anyone notice Ifrit's horns? Anyone notice how Regis and the Glaives all don a similar horn?

- Notice how Nyx is slowly taken by fire as his pact ends with the Old Kings?

- Notice how Nyx somehow forces General Glaucia at the end of the film to randomly grow one of the same horns out of his back after touching him with his flaming arm? And Nyx claims "he owes him"? The General was also a kingsglave, but Regis is dead, so where did this come from?

- Notice how the longer Nyx fights and his pact ends, the aspect of fire begins to return to his abilities?

- Notice how FFXV chooses open 10 years into the future with a flaming Ifrit calmly sitting on the throne, adopting the same pose as Regis and Nyx with the flaming hand?

...Okay, for the first time since they dropped, i'm starting to believe the original leaks may actually have some merit that goes past advertising material. The imagery here isn't necessarily hard to notice and if you pay attention they're clearly beating you over the head with it. But now with all of the advertising material out, the game opening the way it does begins to make sense.

WOO! I win! I actually haven't played that game but had it spoiled for me and it came to mind when you mentioned the villain protagonist. I should play that game...
You really should. I knew it before hand that it was gonna be something along those lines (had been spoiled about you not being the good) but I was still awestruck when it happened. The way the game handles its story is nothing short of amazing.

Note: My command of Japanese is at a Basic level, I would appreciate if anyone fluent in the language can rectify my translations.

With regards to the last few lines in the trailer, I started to look at the Japanese subs hosted on Square Enix Japan's YouTube channel to see if the translations were any different. Interestingly, the last few lines of dialogue play out a bit differently.

(All of the sacrifices are for the sake of the Future King. And then Our Mission* will end)

(The King will surely fulfill the Mission*)/(The King will surely fulfill his responsibility)

(Of course.)

The bolded text is different from its English counterpart.Notably the Being says nothing about looking forward to a specific death, but instead states that all many of sacrifices are for Noctis' sake. And Regis' line there refers to Noctis.

Another thing is the Being's usage of the term 我々 (Ware Ware), a plural form of the first person pronoun, indicating It is speaking on behalf of a larger group, different from the English version's usage of "I".

*But the most interesting thing is that the Being refers to a 使命 which means Mission or Responsibility or Task. However, in the context of Fabula Nova Crystallis, 使命 was translated as "Focus". Of course I am not entirely sure on this, I could be looking too deeply into this, since after all, 使命 is a fairly common noun. However, seeing as the Fabula Nova Crytallis originally played a large role in Versus XIII, I did not rule out the possibility of it referring to "Focus".

Oh man I just saw this. How the hell did they translate that to what we got in the English version? Seriously, sometimes it's like they are writing an alternate version of the script. And this one doesn't even have anything to do with different cultures or whatever bullshit they came up with for changing script in the game.

ED Cantu

How is that not an huge difference again, like the changes with Ignis? Man, I worry about the English script more and more.

I'm worried too, maybe I'll play the game with spanish subs even if I don't like some of the translated names they use.

I wouldn't worry about this part. Personally, I like the English version because it keeps you guessing. It's not ambiguous in the context of the game either. I'm pretty sure Regis and whatever the Crystal is know what they're talking about.

We wouldn't be having a whole bunch of pages in this thread if it weren't ambiguous.
Yeah but the meaning is very different, in the japanese one it implies that what Regis and the crystal/voice are doing is for Noctis' sake, while the english version is saying that they are sending Noctis to apparently kill someone specifically.
That's completely different, with the first one being more in line to what we know about the game and the second throwing a possible new plot line that no one knew before (that may or may not actually exist).

Slater

Banned
I just realized something:

There has never been a Nomura Final Fantasy with the Crystals in it.
Lol there has never been a Nomura Final Fantasy period.

He was just a character designer on VII, Kingdom Hearts is his claim to fame, it's always been him using characters that aren't originally his for the most part outside of TWEWY

Koozek

I'm worried too, maybe I'll play the game with spanish subs even if I don't like some of the translated names they use.
Unfortunately I'm not sure if you guys are as lucky as we here in Germany seem to be w.r.t. the translation, which apparently is closer to the Japanese script judging by some of the preview videos. IIRC correctly someone here said the Spanish subs where pretty close to the English dub in one of the previews. Maybe you can check them out (look here for the section with Spanish previews). I assumed that all European translations would be like that, as with older FFs (FFX's German version as the prime example - it had huge differences between subs and English dub). AFAIK, back then they often translated JRPGs from Japanese to French and then used the French as the base for the other European languages.

Koozek

Lol there has never been a Nomura Final Fantasy period.

He was just a character designer on VII, Kingdom Hearts is his claim to fame, it's always been him using characters that aren't originally his for the most part outside of TWEWY
That's a misconception. He was involved in some of the key moments of FFVII, see:
Yeah, Nomura had much more influence on FFVII's story than many think. The Aerith "scene" was his idea, for example. He's credited under "Based on the story by" next to Sakaguchi himself:
9ibGuHN.png

U3HAcmc.png

Slater

Banned
That's a misconception. He was involved in some of the key moments of FFVII, see:
Ha cool, still though, it's true there never has been a Nomura original FF, that's what Versus was going to be.

And the second he got full control of VII/Cloud he flanderized the hell out of him in KH and AC

I just realized something:

There has never been a Nomura Final Fantasy with the Crystals in it.

You mean the FF games Nomura has been a strong part of beyond just art duties (VI, VII, VIII, and X mostly)?
I guess I could agree that they aren't as 'in your face', especially compared to FFI-V, then IX, however the games weren't completely devoid of crystals.

FFVI's Espers are converted into crystal form thanks to crazy Magitek science.

FFVII's save spots were crystals and the Huge Materia are essentially crystals, too. They also cover the four basic elements, which goes back to classic FF as well.

FFVIII has the Crystal Pillar; a large crystal structure originating from the Moon that triggers the Lunar Cry. It's very important to the sorceresses, so it has a pretty damn big role to play.

FFX uses crystals in the interior of Sin to progress. It's minor, but there they are: ten of them, to be exact.

You mean the FF games Nomura has been a strong part of beyond just art duties (VI, VII, VIII, and X mostly)?
I guess I could agree that they aren't as 'in your face', especially compared to FFI-V, then IX, however the games weren't completely devoid of crystals.

FFVI's Espers are converted into crystal form thanks to crazy Magitek science.

FFVII's save spots were crystals and the Huge Materia are essentially crystals, too. They also cover the four basic elements, which goes back to classic FF as well.

FFVIII has the Crystal Pillar; a large crystal structure originating from the Moon that triggers the Lunar Cry. It's very important to the sorceresses, so it has a pretty damn big role to play.

FFX uses crystals in the interior of Sin to progress. It's minor, but there they are: ten of them, to be exact.

Don't forget FFV, the last FF with a classic "four elemental crystals" mythos. Gilgamesh is one of Nomura's most popular creations.

LordKasual

Banned
Ha cool, still though, it's true there never has been a Nomura original FF, that's what Versus was going to be.

And the second he got full control of VII/Cloud he flanderized the hell out of him in KH and AC

Yeah I love Nomura for what hes good at. But writing stories absolutely positively is not something he's good at.

I've never been a fan of Japan's tenancy to give a project's entire creative freedom to one guy. Sometimes it has amazing consequences...other times you end up with Kingdom Hearts's narrative.

People long for the story Versus was going to tell...but i really don't think they considered what a dark and gritty, trilogy-based, nomura written story was going to really end up being like...

ED Cantu

Unfortunately I'm not sure if you guys are as lucky as we here in Germany seem to be w.r.t. the translation, which apparently is closer to the Japanese script judging by some of the preview videos. IIRC correctly someone here said the Spanish subs where pretty close to the English dub in one of the previews. Maybe you can check them out (look here for the section with Spanish previews). I assumed that all European translations would be like that, as with older FFs (FFX's German version as the prime example - it had huge differences between subs and English dub). AFAIK, back then they often translated JRPGs from Japanese to French and then used the French as the base for the other European languages.

Yeah, now that you mentioned it I'm not sure if the spanish translation is based of the english one or the original japanese script, I noticed a few changes between the english and spanish subs for Brotherhood but that could mean nothing for the game, and I don't remember how it was for the platinum demo, I'll check the link you posted, thanks, too bad SE decided not to do a latin american dub.

Koozek

Yeah, now that you mentioned it I'm not sure if the spanish translation is based of the english one or the original japanese script, I noticed a few changes between the english and spanish subs for Brotherhood but that could mean nothing for the game, and I don't remember how it was for the platinum demo, I'll check the link you posted, thanks, too bad SE decided not to do a latin american dub.
There are Latin American Spanish (and Brazilian Portugese) subtitles too, btw. Maybe there's a chance those are closer to the Japanese script^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGlg876rSk

Who knew teleportation would be the key. After all these years they've made it even more interesting than its simple action itself.

This trailer gives me great faith that the XV story is much more than meets the eye to every single person interested

luckyguess

Neo Member
Yeah but the meaning is very different, in the japanese one it implies that what Regis and the crystal/voice are doing is for Noctis' sake, while the english version is saying that they are sending Noctis to apparently kill someone specifically.
That's completely different, with the first one being more in line to what we know about the game and the second throwing a possible new plot line that no one knew before (that may or may not actually exist).

More like the Japanese translation confirms that Noctis is the person the voice wants to see die before it can rest in the American trailer. In other words, the voice wants to see Noctis reach his full potential before he kills him. For what purpose, I don't know. In one of the TGS trailers, Ardyn is watching Noctis being absorbed by the crystal while telling him to accept the crystal's power and become the "true king", because killing him wouldn't bring him much satisfaction otherwise.

Monarch

Banned

Link, leads to kingsglaive spoilers

- Notice how Nyx somehow forces General Glaucia at the end of the film to randomly grow one of the same horns out of his back after touching him with his flaming arm? And Nyx claims "he owes him"? The General was also a kingsglave, but Regis is dead, so where did this come from?

About that part, after reviewing the end of the film, I think you missed one detail!
It's Libertus that struck General Glauca on top of the Audi's roof. During the scene, you can see the dagger being absorbed by Glauca's armor. In the end, Nyx being ablaze, melted the armor and the dagger that was absorbed emerged. When Nyx said "Looks like I'm gonna owe him big", he was likely referencing Libertus.

Either way this entire theory seems plausible !

Nya

I honestly can't over how great the trailer is, I showed it to my brother (who absolutely doesn't care about Final Fantasy games at all) and he was instantly sold into the game.

Ahhh 29th is so far away q_q

I honestly can't over how great the trailer is, I showed it to my brother (who absolutely doesn't care about Final Fantasy games at all) and he was instantly sold into the game.

I've been watching this trailer everyday. Sooo good.

Tyaren

(Of course.)

*But the most interesting thing is that the Being refers to a 使命 which means Mission or Responsibility or Task. However, in the context of Fabula Nova Crystallis, 使命 was translated as "Focus". Of course I am not entirely sure on this, I could be looking too deeply into this, since after all, 使命 is a fairly common noun. However, seeing as the Fabula Nova Crytallis originally played a large role in Versus XIII, I did not rule out the possibility of it referring to "Focus".

Great... :/ now I really have to play the game in Japanese with German subtitles. I thought I'd settle with the English dub after all since the German dub is imo awful and I don't want to read subtitles all the time playing it in Japanese. But the liberties they are taking in English aren't acceptable anymore. That's a very different script. In this scene two completely different things are implied in Japanese and in English.

Great... :/ now I really have to play the game in Japanese with German subtitles. I thought I'd settle with the English dub after all since the German dub is imo awful and I don't want to read subtitles all the time playing it in Japanese. But the liberties they are taking in English aren't acceptable anymore. That's a very different script. In this scene two completely different things are implied in Japanese and in English.

I've been thinking about this translation thing...

"(All of the sacrifices are for the sake of the Future King. And then Our Mission* will end)"

and

"I have seen many deaths but now I am only looking forward to one and then I can rest"

Could theoretically mean the same thing, but it's just two different ways of saying it. If that was obvious/understood already by people I'm not sure but it seems that people are looking at it as two completely different things but I don't think that's the case.

Whatever/whoever that is speaking can be saying they are only looking forward to one more specific death (Luna?) because that death is the sacrifice being made for the sake of the future King. I think there's a good chance that Luna is going to give herself up at some point in the game to save Noctis, and that's why Tabata and co. keep saying she is a strong character.

On another note, this is my favorite part of the trailer:

insta.gif

jennetics

Yea I am pretty sure it's just Luna's reflection disappearing and it just being a normal reflection of Noctis.

But you can see Noctis' arm in the reflection. Noctis is wearing a jacket in the train. Other than what he's wearing, I don't think anything is different between the reflection.

Tyaren

But you can see Noctis' arm in the reflection. Noctis is wearing a jacket in the train. Other than what he's wearing, I don't think anything is different between the reflection.

The sleeve of his jacket is ripped off since the car crash.
That's definitely just Noctis.

.JayZii

Banned
Oh man I just saw this. How the hell did they translate that to what we got in the English version? Seriously, sometimes it's like they are writing an alternate version of the script. And this one doesn't even have anything to do with different cultures or whatever bullshit they came up with for changing script in the game.
They have the entire script and are localizing it with context of the whole story in mind.
Virtually impossible to see unless you pause but their disinterested expressions

H1Ce0Qs.png

whew
I don't know what I'm looking at.

Sydle

After being utterly indifferent to everything else I've seen of this game this trailer piqued my interest. I really hope this is great. I'd love to look forward to Final Fantasy games again.

Samimista

Tell me about it, lol.

November is my favorite month, but I honestly can't wait until it's almost over. I've been so hyped for Gilmore Girls and Final Fantasy.

I've been watching the Omen trailer a few times everyday since it released. Easily my favorite one since the 2008 Versus XIII trailer.

Top Bottom