• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Round 2015 - Fighting Game Tournament - March 20th - 22nd

fader

I do think that Asia's top players are overall better than NA and EU as a whole. Dieminion talked about this when momochi showed a "beginner" tutorial to competitive usf4 with the wakeup OS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1VeqwFEmsg

But the gap isn't super large in a 2/3 setting. Its more obvious in a larger set like FT 5/7/10 such as the master series.

I don't think its character choice, but they do play a factor. I mean ryan hart plays yun and its not even close to kaz's level. Imo, its all due to the arcade scene and how arcades vs consoles are viewed.

Also I think it's how closely knit their community are. I'm not saying the American scene is selfish but there's like 4 huge regions in America (West, East, South, Midwest), 1 equivalent to japan in size. Information gets to more players there even with the day and age of internet. I mean that momochi OS, all of Japan knew about it and we barely discovered it even though it was online for like a year.

tagrat

Watching this makes me really want to get back in to Street Fighter. Do we have any clue when USFIV is coming out for PS4?

Also I think it's how closely knit their community are. I'm not saying the American scene is selfish but there's like 4 huge regions in America (West, East, South, Midwest), 1 equivalent to japan in size. Information gets to more players their even with the day and age of internet. I mean that momochi OS, all of Japan knew about it and we barely discovered it even though it was online for like a year.

ehh I agree but not for the same reason exactly.

There are regions of japan where the top players do not play at. Pepedai is considered in "backwater" japan (not sure if true) and was relatively unknown to any international players and surely there were Japanese players that didn't know who he was either.

I think information does travel more quickly only because they are together way more often in their arcade scene. WNF is once a week when it was active in a sprawl out area. NLBC is also once a week but luckily in a more dense area.

These players have the potential to play with each other way more often than anybody in the EU or NA. So the information does travel faster but only locally in Japan. Honestly, the NA/EU are more willing to share info with things like youtube. Don't really see Japanese players record their games or post tutorials.

but this is all imo.

edit
Also the fact that in the arcades, you have an incentive to be good financially.

sikvod00

Banned
Fuudo is like top 10 in the world and he happens to play a high tier character. That means he generally doesn't have to work as hard as a Sim player, for example. We don't have to discredit the player or discredit how strong their character is.

Making a distinction between players and characters is not something that everyone can do. :p How many Fei Long are currently doing very well outside of Fuudo? Certainly not Mago, that's for sure lol.

Alot can't ;)

But maybe this ties to a problem raging is talking about. The game is the arena with its rules and the characters are the weapons you choose when you step in.

People blame characters too much or are too stubborn to switch or blame wins and loses on characters when it is really their play and decision making.

Whos knows.

Making a distinction between players and characters is not something that everyone can do. :p How many Fei Long are currently doing very well outside of Fuudo? Certainly not Mago, that's for sure lol.

In America there is Hamad. In Singapore there is Gackt.

Fuudo > Gackt >> Hamad

All 3 are very good.

He's viewed as the japanese Gootecks these days (I also like the Mago c-tier meme)... :p

Japanese Gootecks, you say?

AOcjh9a.jpg

Top Bottom