• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC sells 1.2 million copies, brings in $4.8 million revenue

Linkup

Somebody could have already brought this up, but I'm going to do it again.

When a game is brought to the US/EU like this FE and let's say they are not done releasing DLC in Japan. Will Nintendo decrease the price and include the DLC in the US/EU versions since the DLC existed before that version was out?

Didn't Iwata says something to the effect that they will make the full game and charge for that then make the DLC and then charge for that?

If they will only make and charge for DLC after finishing the full game then DLC released in outside of Japan were the game isn't out yet should be free or at least reduced price. That would make the wait for the game to release outside of Japan much easier knowing that the game has DLC that will be free or reduced in price. Right? maybe I misheard Iwata.

A.E Suggs

Who knows but if paid DLC is what gets FE out of japan for good then i'm ok with paying for it. The DLC isn't important to anything anyway so that's another reason why they may not lower the price but again who knows.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Somebody could have already brought this up, but I'm going to do it again.

When a game is brought to the US/EU like this FE and let's say they are not done releasing DLC in Japan. Will Nintendo decrease the price and include the DLC in the US/EU versions since the DLC existed before that version was out?

Didn't Iwata says something to the effect that they will make the full game and charge for that then make the DLC and then charge for that?

If they will only make and charge for DLC after finishing the full game then DLC released in outside of Japan were the game isn't out yet should be free or at least reduced price. That would make the wait for the game to release outside of Japan much easier knowing that the game has DLC that will be free or reduced in price. Right? maybe I misheard Iwata.

Short answer: probably not, or at least not for the reasons you're describing.

Long answer: the philosophy Iwata outlined--don't work on DLC at the expense of the main game, and don't remove content just to charge for it later--doesn't clash with the idea of charging the international market for the same DLC content. The FE DLC may end up being cheaper than it is in Japan, but that'll probably have more to do with the perceived value of the content (ie they don't think it'll sell at an equivalent price) or currency conversion rates or whatever.

The Theatrhythm DLC is around 30% cheaper internationally than in Japan, IIRC.

olimpia84

Those numbers are absolutely insane. I can't even imagine the numbers that the popular franchises like Mario and Pokemon will put out. Nintendo is and will be rolling in dough with this whole DLC business.

Unozawa shared sales figures that showed that 1.2 million units of paid Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC have been sold thus far. These DLC sales have brought in revenue of 380 million yen (about $4.8 million).

Retail revenue from Fire Emblem: Awakening is about 2.4 billion yen ($30.6 million). DLC sales accounted for an additional 15% of revenue.
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/22/fire-emblem-awakening-dlc-sales-in-japan-are-doing-well/

aS5sy.jpg

A.E Suggs

If the DLC can at least make up for the niche numbers the game will sell in the U.S we will always get FE games no worries.

How did this game end up being, compared to the others? It certainly looked a lot more interesting than the last couple of FE games.

I hope nintendo doesn't go all Namco Bandai on the dlc for the next fire emblem/monolith soft game but this is good news. Hopefully we get the Marth DLC for free in NA :D

How did this game end up being, compared to the others? It certainly looked a lot more interesting than the last couple of FE games.

Certainly sold better than nearly all.
Might have sold better than the first, but if irc it sold close to it; sure someone else can confirm/deny.

It did very well though.
Am hoping all this makes an Advance Wars 3D more likely, mind you - why this isn't localised yet is fucking mental. Especially with Luigi shifted; I don't see whats stopping them :/ Especially with the sales/DLC.

From impressions, very polished, great music, nice support systems, the new mechanics are a great welcome.

Path of Radiance level of awesomeness.

I kind of hope Nintendo keeps the franchise in handhelds for a while. Path of Radiance is my favorite in the series, but I loved playing Fire Emblem on portables a lot more than on consoles.

donny2112

If the DLC can at least make up for the niche numbers the game will sell in the U.S we will always get FE games no worries.

At this point, I'm planning on buying every piece of DLC and probably the game itself twice (once physically, cause got to have the real cartridge, and once digitally, cause got to have it available all the time for DLC and don't want to take up the cartridge slot). That may change as more information comes out about the game and DLC, (it did for NSMB2, for example, once Co-op turned out to be a real letdown) but that's my feeling now on it. If that helps make the series a little more likely to keep coming to the U.S., that'd be nice, too. :p

Javier

From the impressions I've read, it's like they took the best features from all the previous games and combined them to make this one.

urfe

FE is in high stock at used game stores in Japan.

I saw it as low as 2000 yen to buy used, and I almost picked it up.

Jawmuncher

Im more concerned with what exactly is taking Nintendo so long to bring this over.
Only thing I can think of is their splitting big releases so that there isn't a lot of dryness in the release chart.

subtles

I kind of hope Nintendo keeps the franchise in handhelds for a while. Path of Radiance is my favorite in the series, but I loved playing Fire Emblem on portables a lot more than on consoles.

I personally prefer playing RPGs on handhelds as I feel they add much more to the experience then having it on a large TV. It really depends on the game though, as some ambitious projects like Xenoblade/The Last Story suffered from not being on stronger systems.

Yes...
YES....

MORE.

Actually does F-Zero need to have swimsuit DLC to sell? That would be cool. Like Captain Falcon all ripped and stuff, yeah. Best DLC ever.

Prax

I will happily pay for extra maps and possibly characters I like as DLC. *___*
And also for more support conversations, I guess! I don't know how much of the Beach DLC will be useless fluff, but if it goes to sell well, I can only hope that it will fund the WiiU version to be extra awesome. I'm so glad FE:A's doing well. Looks good for the series' future.

I haven't exactly been keeping up since it makes the wait for the game more agonizing, but how have reviews for the game been? How's the story for the main campaign? I have some concerns that it might come off as too jokey or slick (or.."modern"?) just because of the art style, but I hope that's not the case.

kswiston

I assume that with this announcement it's also the game in the series that's brought in the most profit. As far as Nintendo's concerned, they'll be overjoyed.

I think the highest selling Fire Emblem was quite a bit ahead of this one, so it probably still made more than Awakening, even with the DLC included. However, that was the first SNES Fire Emblem released 20 years ago in Japan only. A western release should put Awakening on top.

Chrom

Im more concerned with what exactly is taking Nintendo so long to bring this over.
Only thing I can think of is their splitting big releases so that there isn't a lot of dryness in the release chart.

It can be inferred that Nintendo didn't even have plans on localizing the game until late April or early May of this year at the very earliest, because Iwata himself said this on April 27th:

"In addition, regarding 'Fire Emblem Kakusei' (Japanese title), which was released last week in Japan, its initial sales figure reached the record-high in the series since the GameBoy Advance and we have received a lot of messages from the Club Nintendo members that they bought a game from the series after a long interval. Although we have not decided on a plan to release it overseas, we hope to further increase its sales."

Yes, there was a time when Nintendo was seriously not planning on localizing the game. When you consider how long it's been since then, it's not so much splitting big releases being the biggest reason why it's not here yet, but rather that Nintendo made a tardy decision. Reasonable, as Fire Emblem in the West has exponentially been selling less and less with each title (and it is what many believe to be the reason why we didn't get New Mystery of the Emblem for DS from 2010), but tardy. There was no way that Awakening was going to be released in English in 2012 after it was confirmed over the summer (heck, they didn't even have anything in English to show at the time), and even if were somehow possible, they probably would want to move it later down the line because of how occupied the end of 2012 is for Nintendo already, like what you were thinking.

I wouldn't expect any updates on the game's progress until late October, and that's if we're lucky if Nintendo wants to show anything.

Top Bottom