• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC sells 1.2 million copies, brings in $4.8 million revenue

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Smash Bros. DLC inevitable.

Hero

I can already see it.

DLC costumes/skins for Smash Bros characters.

Dr Mario: 400 yen
Mario Strikers Peach: 400 yen
Ocarina of Time Adult Link: 400 yen
Ocarina of Time Young Link: 400 yen
Metroid Fusion Suit Samus: 400 yen
Jigglypuff with the green bandana: 400 yen

WOWZA! I did NOT see this coming at all! I am glad the game is so successful!! <3 IntSys

I can see alternate costumes as DLC for Smash, hmm.

Kenka

I can already see it.

0062_xhcc.gif

Jethro

Or Smash Bros. goes the Free to play route. You can buy stuff via Smash Coins, or buy them with real money in a faster way.

Taruranto

Catch them all for 0.99$!

I can already see it.

The sad thing is that people will buy and support this.

Foffy

Banned
any news about the DLC plan oversea?

No idea, but I'm sure if DLC is considered, they'll probably abandon the incentive they gave the Japanese release for more money. One of the DLC chapters was free as long as you bought the game within the first 30 days it came out. I think the community here in NA isn't as big in Japan and they'll probably end up hooking less in as a result, so I imagine there's very little reason to offer incentives here.

mclem

I think an interesting thing that hasn't really been latched onto in the posts thus far is that that's digital purchases in a country generally regarded as being bad for digital purchases. Is there a sea change brewing?

onilink88

I think an interesting thing that hasn't really been latched onto in the posts thus far is that that's digital purchases in a country generally regarded as being bad for digital purchases. Is there a sea change brewing?

Is DLC performance of this level a first or is it an ongoing trend in the Japanese market?

It's too early to say, I think. We'd need to see how other DLC performs before we can make that assessment as FE: A's is the only data available to us (it is, right?) and could be an outlier for all we know, no?

Well, Namco has made a ton of money with their Idolmaster DLC and they support their Tales games with a lot of DLC, too. If you appeal to the right crowd DLC is already a pretty big deal for the publisher in Japan.

onilink88

Well, Namco has made a ton of money with their Idolmaster DLC and they support their Tales games with a lot of DLC, too. If you appeal to the right crowd DLC is already a pretty big deal for the publisher in Japan.

Right, right, forgot about 'em. Dumb post on my part. :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be surprised if the next Mario kart didn't have dlc after reading this. Too much money to be made.
this is the kind of dlc I would buy. An entire new cup? sold.

JoeInky

this is the kind of dlc I would buy. An entire new cup? sold.

I think it would screw up the online a bit unless they made it mandatory to download a patch containing the content but not giving you access to it.

Which I don't particularly like the idea of.

NeonZ

Seriously? Wouldn't they just sell Pokemon?

I don't think they'd sell Pokemon themselves, maybe new areas that can have some Pokemon which are rare/unobtainable with a single version of the game, but I can't see them just selling Pokemon, it'd kind of hurt the whole trading aspect.

vareon

I'm curious to see Nintendo's next step in DLC since this is successful. Every Fire Emblem DLC comes with at least a character and a map? Right?

So, Smash Bros Extra Character and Map?
Extra mini dungeons in Zelda?
Extra Dungeon in Pokemon where you can catch another version's unique Pokemon?

Jawmuncher

Didnt someone here say DLC for Fire Emblem in Japan included swimsuit costumes or something? If it's japan thats what sold the majority over there.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Didnt someone here say DLC for Fire Emblem in Japan included swimsuit costumes or something? If it's japan thats what sold the majority over there.

All the DLC from the first run is fairly standard stuff--new characters, new maps, new scenarios. The second run, which is currently being rolled out now, features a beach/swimsuit scenario, but it's not typical of any of the other stuff (or FE in general).

Jawmuncher

All the DLC from the first run is fairly standard stuff--new characters, new maps, new scenarios. The second run, which is currently being rolled out now, features a beach/swimsuit scenario, but it's not typical of any of the other stuff (or FE in general).

ahh ok. Was wondering about that.

NeonZ

And the beach DLC still hasn't been released. The second batch so far has been 3 challenge maps with special conditions and/or enemies (+ 1 classic character in each one) and a festival map (Standard map, but adding a lot of extra dialogue for most playable characters).

ffdgh

That....was waaay more than I expected o_O

I can already see it.

.....change jigglypuff to peach's crown and I woulg get every single one of these sadly XD

I should mention the swimsuit and hot spring maps haven't even been released yet.

But I do wonder if the later DLCs are selling less than the earlier ones or something. It be kind of tragic, since the later ones are the more interesting ones IMO.

BD1

Banned
I am just happy that Fire Emblem did so well. Great initial sales and great DLC sales should move the IP to the next level.

Plus the DLC strategy was a model on how DLC should be released.

Shaffield

Holy shit.

Has Square released any numbers for Theatrhythm DLC sales? I'm curious how well the extra songs have been selling
and if everyone else has been spending too much on it like I have

I just hope they don't start pulling that "launch DLC" shit where you feel like you're paying extra money to get the full game.

Chrom

No idea, but I'm sure if DLC is considered, they'll probably abandon the incentive they gave the Japanese release for more money. One of the DLC chapters was free as long as you bought the game within the first 30 days it came out. I think the community here in NA isn't as big in Japan and they'll probably end up hooking less in as a result, so I imagine there's very little reason to offer incentives here.

Nintendo of America announced that they were in fact going to be releasing the game's DLC back in the June Nintendo Direct, but we literally don't know anything beyond that.

Top Bottom