• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC sells 1.2 million copies, brings in $4.8 million revenue

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wait until Nintendo learns you can charge an absurd amount ala Capcom 12 character on disc DLC

Here Comes New Challengers DLC, 8 6 Characters for 2000 ($20 correct?) Wii U Points for Super Smash Brothers Wii U

Their costumes sold separately

Smash cost like $150 total with-in a year+ of release... No GOTY lol Ninty will make you buy all

tkscz

Wait until Nintendo learns you can charge an absurd amount ala Capcom 12 character on disc DLC

Here Comes New Challengers DLC, 8 6 Characters for 2000 ($20 correct?) Wii U Points for Super Smash Brothers Wii U

Their costumes sold separately

Smash cost like $150 total with-in a year+ of release... No GOTY lol Ninty will make you buy all

I believe Nintendo already said (multiple times) that they won't do on disc DLC, or DLC that allows you to finish the game.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I believe Nintendo already said (multiple times) that they won't do on disc DLC, or DLC that allows you to finish the game.

When there is money to be had, tunes changes quickly

As others said video game business... not charity

gif.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've no issue with the price point, or what they're offering. It's strictly DLC that's fan service, and they're not taking out classes, or making the 'true ending' DLC. The more of this sort of DLC the better. Once they start axing characters from Smash Bros. in favour of putting them up for DLC, then we'll have problems.

It can be inferred that Nintendo didn't even have plans on localizing the game until late April or early May of this year at the very earliest, because Iwata himself said this on April 27th:

"In addition, regarding 'Fire Emblem Kakusei' (Japanese title), which was released last week in Japan, its initial sales figure reached the record-high in the series since the GameBoy Advance and we have received a lot of messages from the Club Nintendo members that they bought a game from the series after a long interval. Although we have not decided on a plan to release it overseas, we hope to further increase its sales."

Yes, there was a time when Nintendo was seriously not planning on localizing the game.[...]
We've been through this elsewhere, but "not decided on plans" doesn't mean "we won't release it". The original Japanese statement made this much more obvious.

Also, don't forget a European release (for 2012) was announced on 22nd March 2012.

Would $4.8 million cover the budget of the game? I can't imagine it being a particularly high budget game and Nintendo generally keeps budgets small.

Boney

Banned
I've no issue with the price point, or what they're offering. It's strictly DLC that's fan service, and they're not taking out classes, or making the 'true ending' DLC. The more of this sort of DLC the better. Once they start axing characters from Smash Bros. in favour of putting them up for DLC, then we'll have problems.

I have an issue with the price point because cost wise, it's peanuts to actually make maps. Heck I figure the most expensive part is paying the guest artists. And I know cost doesn't equate to price but it still stings when all the DLC is so expensive for individual maps, which repeats itself for the whole DLC saga right?

I love what they're offering though, stand alone game offers tons and tons of shit, and this is adding even more on top of it, but as I said earlier, this is still keeping them busy slowing down future FE's and AW's!

The Lamp

DLC is going to happen for Smash Bros. I can smell it.

If Nintendo starts chopping away features and characters from games just to sell them as DLC, don't even doubt me, Nintendo. I will drop you like a plate of shit.

But other than that, good for Nintendo.

DLC is going to happen for Smash Bros. I can smell it.

If Nintendo starts chopping away features and characters from games just to sell them as DLC, don't even doubt me, Nintendo. I will drop you like a plate of shit.

But other than that, good for Nintendo.

If there is dlc for SSB, I have the feeling the majority of it will either be free, useless, or really cheap considering harada and sakurai's views on dlc

Chrom

We've been through this elsewhere, but "not decided on plans" doesn't mean "we won't release it". The original Japanese statement made this much more obvious.

Also, don't forget a European release (for 2012) was announced on 22nd March 2012.

I think you may be misunderstanding me. You're definitely right that "not decided on plans" doesn't mean "we won't release it", but what I mean is that it's indicative that nothing was set in stone at the time, which is a major contradiction to what had once been said before.

That said, I'm aware of the European Nintendo Direct from February (not March, actually) announcing the game for 2012. However, that same presentation also announced Pokémon Conquest for Europe (back when it was still called Pokémon + Nobunaga's Ambition), which Nintendo later said that they had "no comment" of bringing it over anywhere or not, only to have it reconfirmed for Europe at the Nintendo Direct from June. I believe these two situations are similar. What I mean is, someone or something's jumping the gun, or even announcements at Nintendo Direct aren't necessarily decisive.

I may be the only one to think this, but I do have the firm belief that because of that statement by Iwata from April, the initial European announcement may not have meant anything after all.

Right, and it will not happen in 2012.

Yeah, but his point was that Nintendo had previously "confirmed" it before in response to my saying that it wasn't until the summer that they said it was to be localized in the future.

donny2112

If there is dlc for SSB, I have the feeling the majority of it will either be free, useless, or really cheap considering harada and sakurai's views on dlc

They already had DLC in Brawl in the form of the downloadable stages. That was free, so it'd make sense to at least do that much for the Wii U/3DS versions. New characters wouldn't make sense, since they spend so much time balancing (trying to) the game already. Adding in a new character throws all that off.

Top Bottom