• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch Review Thread

Nameless

Yeah, with Witcher...I never really understood the big hooplah. I've always found it very serviceable on PS4. So if that's anything to go by I should be fine with Firewatch. Now Bethesda games lol? Nah. Fool me once...

Even with Fallout you saw Jim Sterling come out and say his experience was fine, while Jeff Gertsmann found his to be abysmal. GAF's opinions were similarly contradictory.

But yeah, whatever. If I have to put the game aside for a while fine. We'll see.

Z3M0G

$20 seems a bit steep for a 4 hour game

Sounds absolutely perfect to me. I was hoping this wasn't 10-15 hours or something like that... knowing it is only 4 hours long guarantees that I will buy this some day. I watched the IGN review and wasn't sure how "enjoyable" it was to do what you do in the game... but this makes me feel much better about playing it.

SuperSah

Banned
I see Steam has a Mac OS X version.

It does say needs a dedicated GPU but surely a standard 2015 Macbook Pro will run this, no?

noomi

I guess you could say Destructoid..destroyed the suspense.

Just skimmed through the page, and there was just one thing I wish I didn't read :/

It's my own damn fault, I should have just stayed away like I saw I was going to do.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do you have examples? It sounds like you're painting a really wide brush.
Of course. Go check out the following on consoles and you'll find awful, unstable performance...

Grow Home
Oddworld New n' Tasty
Gone Home (not Grow)
Galak-Z
Roundabout
The Last Tinker
Ziggurat
Never Alone

...and there may be more but those are the ones I've played. Performance is wildly unstable in all of them. They judder and lurch around horribly and, you know what? Some of them are bad on the PC as well.

It's not always bad. Ori and the Blind Forest, for instance, looks and runs well on XO (with minor slowdown and some crash bugs). Cuphead is awesome looking in person and seems to run well. Escape Plan was fine. The issue is, 80% of the time, when a game is built in Unity you can expect issues. Games like Jazz Punk, Kairo, Grow Home, Roundabout, Ziggurat and Galak-Z on the PC all run at 60fps no problem - but they have inherent issues with camera movement that results in a jerky looking experience. Why? Who knows, but it's not something you see in other engines. It's something I only started encountering as Unity blew up.

So, yeah, it has actually prevented me from enjoying games too many times now for many reasons and I've grown to hate the engine or at least approach with caution. I've even made a game in Unity before (unreleased) and can say it's nice to use - but UE4 is so much better. Heck, I'd rather work in UDK or CryEngine.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Good reviews, can't wait to play it.

tebunker

Banned
I have no issues with lebgth of the title, but I just cant throw another game on the pile. Looking forward to playing it soon though. Sounds like a neat experience

tuxfool

Banned
Now Unravel is an example of a technically well programmed game. Perfect 60fps experience on all platforms and beautiful visuals. The Witness was also rock solid.

Seemingly an odd engine choice for an indie dev, but it worked out well for them, it is hard to argue against the results.

Krakn3Dfx

From Alex at GB

1se8PEV.png

finalflame

Gold Member
So there are PS4 performance/stuttering issues? This was day 1 for me, but guess I'll hold off for a little while :/

Now Unravel is an example of a technically well programmed game. Perfect 60fps experience on all platforms and beautiful visuals. The Witness was also rock solid.

I've been reading a lot about Unravel today, thinking about picking it up tomorrow. Should I do PC or PS4? I have an i7 and a 290x.

So excited for the amazing Firewatch reviews. I've had it preordered since last week, and knew I was going to pick it up since the trailer at E3. Now all I need is Cuphead and I'll have my top three "Indie" games for this year (Barring any, albeit welcome, surprises).

dark10x

I've been reading a lot about Unravel today, thinking about picking it up tomorrow. Should I do PC or PS4? I have an i7 and a 290x.

So excited for the amazing Firewatch reviews. I've had it preordered since last week, and knew I was going to pick it up since the trailer at E3. Now all I need is Cuphead and I'll have my top three "Indie" games for this year (Barring any, albeit welcome, surprises).
Well, for Unravel, you are guaranteed a stable 60fps at 1080p on PS4. Probably also on the PC, unless there are some unforeseen issues. Either way, you should be good.

From Alex at GB

1se8PEV.png
Honestly, my biggest issue (unlocked frame-rates) isn't something that is going to bother all people. It absolutely drives me insane but I could see how someone could completely ignore it.

BeeDog

Wouldn't say The Witness was rock-solid (PS4)... managed to get it to tear quite badly in some spots. Still, very competent game, and Unravel seems to be competent as well. Too bad Firewatch turned out bad from a technical perspective though.

dark10x

Wouldn't say The Witness was rock-solid (PS4)... managed to get it to tear quite badly in some spots. Still, very competent game, and Unravel seems to be competent as well. Too bad Firewatch turned out bad from a technical perspective though.
Ah, news to me. I never tested it but, after playing for a whole mess of hours, I never once saw tearing...but I still have a LONG ways to go in the game.

Top Bottom