• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch Review Thread

oti

Banned
How long is this game? Too afraid to read reviews because of spoilers but I want this game to be tight.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's a piss poor solution to deal with something that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

Yeah it takes years of training to see something slowing down in front of yours eyes

Here comes the "You have to be looking for it to notice it" comments.

I don't see many of the things other people do. If I do see problems it's because they're bad, not because I'm looking for them. If that's what other people want to do then that's fine but I'm happy the way things are for me.

I don't see many of the things other people do. If I do see problems it's because they're bad, not because I'm looking for them. If that's what other people want to do then that's fine but I'm happy the way things are for me.

So you have a relatively low level of quality then. Lots of other people see more and it's fair to point them out. Remember that we are paying customers and have certain expectations for a product. Would you stand for a Blu-Ray movie that slowed down, tore frames or crashed? No, you would not.

And, no training is required to see issues and we don't go looking for them either. I feel like this conversation has happened in the past with the same people complaining that because they accept issues, it's odd that others do not.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So you have a relatively low level of quality then. Lots of other people see more and it's fair to point them out. Remember that we are paying customers and have certain expectations for a product. Would you stand for a Blu-Ray movie that slowed down, tore frames or crashed? No, you would not.

And, no training is required to see issues and we don't go looking for them either. I feel like this conversation has happened in the past with the same people complaining that because they accept issues, it's odd that others do not.

I buy the game, I enjoy the game. I don't see a low quality game, I see a game I've enjoyed.

Compsiox

Banned
Yeah it takes years of training to see something slowing down in front of yours eyes

Here comes the "You have to be looking for it to notice it" comments.

To be honest I didn't notice things like screen tearing until I found out what they were and what caused them.

Performance issues and potential game-breaking bugs on PS4?

Ugh. Guess I'm waiting to see if these things get ironed out before buying.

Ambitious

Framerate issues in a game like this, which doesn't even run at 60fps? Oh come the fuck on, what is this? Get your shit together. Not gonna buy it until this is fixed.

breakfuss

Framerate issues in a game like this, which doesn't even run at 60fps? Oh come the fuck on, what is this? Get your shit together. Not gonna buy it until this is fixed.

Not saying you guys don't have a right to voice your concerns (I hate shitty framerates as much as anyone), but I believe someone from their team is actually in the thread...lol...so maybe exercise a little more tact.

Navid

Shame to hear about PS4 performance issues, I guess I'll hold off and see if it gets fixed or not... bit disappointing to be honest considering I'm guessing they chose to focus on only PC and PS4 in order to avoid stuff like this by spreading themselves too thin.

I'm really excited for this and happy about all the good reviews. This seems like a really intriguing mystery and completely my cup of tea.

finalflame

Gold Member
Fair enough, but it doesn't seem like a gameplay/control heavy game so I don't see how not optimal performance should hinder anything.

Because performance issues hinder enjoyment for a lot of people. It's annoying as fuck to be playing a game and have it constantly hitch/stutter/dip into noticeably low framerates. If we're talking 30 with rare dips to > 25, that's fine. If we're talking about constant hiccups, hitching, and dips to < 25fps, it is not only noticeable, but to many, it's unenjoyable.

Just because this doesn't bother you doesn't mean it shouldn't bother others. It also means the game is technically (from a technical standpoint) flawed, and released in an unpolished state on the platform. Games are not supposed to hitch, stutter, or otherwise dip constantly below acceptable framerates. Let's stop being apologists for a quick minute and not accept games that have substandard performance, and denounce others for being bothered by it.

If you're ok with playing a game that has shit performance go for it. Nobody in this thread is asking for locked 60fps, they are just concerned that the performance issues will hinder their enjoyment, which is perfectly and entirely justified.

Poster#1

Afraid you'll get burned?

Yes :3

Welcome back! Thought you were gone for good.

Performs well for most part. Minor stuttering in a few places. Doesn't really impact the gameplay, but it's perceptible. Hopefully it should get patched. There was a ~220mb update a couple of days back. Didn't change much. But IMHO not a deal-breaker by any means. Specs of the machine I played it on: i5 3470 (3.2GHz), GTX 980Ti, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Windows 10, Asus 4K display.

That's good to hear. I'll pick it up this weekend :)

nOoblet16

I couldn't care less about frame dips in a walking simulator. Please guys can we stop the whining?

The game stutters...not just frame dips.
You would care when you try to soak in the atmosphere and then you find your camera chugging and freezing when you try to move it.

Performance issues are important and they do hamper experiences, even to people who are not sensitive to them and as such it's not correct to call these concerns.... "whining".

Hearing that the PS4 version has performance issues is pretty frustrating. I'm very eager to play this game the day it comes out, but I don't want my experience to be affected by technical problems.

Because I'm not reading any reviews: how is the stuttering? And is it a problem that nearly every review mentions?

Hearing that the PS4 version has performance issues is pretty frustrating. I'm very eager to play this game the day it comes out, but I don't want my experience to be affected by technical problems.

Because I'm not reading any reviews: how is the stuttering? And is it a problem that nearly every review mentions?

No, hardly any reviews mention it, but they never do. I am sure Digital Foundry are working on an article right now.

Yogg

To be honest I didn't notice things like screen tearing until I found out what they were and what caused them.

You never noticed screen tearing before you learned about the thing? That's probably one of the most obvious issues I can find in a game. I guess we don't all notice the same kind of issues, but that's leagues ahead of framerate as far as noticeability goes.

Ambitious

I couldn't care less about frame dips in a walking simulator. Please guys can we stop the whining?

This is a review thread. We discuss reviews and their scores. We discuss the positives of games and their flaws and problems, which, in the case of Firewatch, includes framerate issues. Could you please stop the whining?

I'd like to see you getting it running at 60FPS.

And if I can't, I have no right complain, right? That's not how it works.
I never complained about the game not running at 60fps. I complained about performance issues in a 30fps game.

Humdinger

I tend to be less bothered by tech glitches than most people. Bummed that it is getting knocked in reviews for that, but I don't think it'll bug me unless it's Two Worlds bad. I'm looking forward to playing it tomorrow on PS4.

gabbo

I'm going to wait for the guys on Idle Thumbs to give their thoughts before I buy. I trust those guys with their thoughts on games

CHC

okay these reviews seem positive but....

What is Firewatch?

A first person adventure game where you play as a dude who takes a job as a firewatching park ranger to take his mind off bad relationship / other life stresses. You walk around the wilderness doing stuff and talking to a woman over a radio, and can make dialogue choices and stuff like that. It relies on beautiful scenery and well written characters.

Top Bottom