• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

It'd be interesting if it basically worked like the old Fallout games. You see things in the world, and if they're hostile and you get within range, turn-based movement/combat starts.

thats what it looks like because you can see the other enemies in the background.

So looks like you touch an enemy, enter turn based attack phase, and you still see everything as-is around you. No arena loading or anything

thats what it looks like because you can see the other enemies in the background.

So looks like you touch an enemy, enter turn based attack phase, and you still see everything as-is around you. No arena loading or anything

This is how it works in Dragon Quest X. I expect the same in XI.

F4r0_Atak

I was talking about Dragon Quest VIII bro, they released it on iOS and Android, I think that if they release it on PC it could be profitable for SE since there's a lot of gamers that really like the DQ games. ;)

SE never released DQVIII for the PS3 as PS2 Classics, so it would a great idea to port it for the PS3, PS4 or PC...

On! I'm sorry for misunderstanding you. And yes, now would be a good time re-release DQVIII on PS3/PS4 as a PS2 Classic (as PC gamers can easily have access to it through emulation (PSCX2?) And have better resolution for the game).

I honestly cant wait :p

Ah, why's that :p?

You made me imagine what a Chrono Trigger remake running on UE4 could look like because of your comparison... The reason why I hate you right now. :p

I really hope this sells very well outside of Japan so that it break those assumptions that people don't like turn-based RPG anymore (which I feel they pulled out suddenly from nowhere). Bravery Default was the first step.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I can't get over how amazing this game looks... so beautiful, on consoles, with menu-based combat!! Even the 3DS version looks great in both its polygonal and 2D forms. This game, Persona 5, Star Ocean 5, Nier 2, Xenoblade X, FF7 remake, Project Setsuna, Exist Archive. This gen is looking to make up in spades for what us console RPG fans had to go through last gen.

daxgame

man, I don't have a PS4 but I swear I'd buy both. They look so so different yet so beautiful.
If the NX version turns out to be closer to the PS4 than the 3DS one, I might grab that one.

This is all assuming that it even ever makes it overseas lol

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Really liking how they nailed the right artstyle in the PS4 version. This is really a promising gaming gen for jRPGs passionates.

Koozek

On! I'm sorry for misunderstanding you. And yes, now would be a good time re-release DQVIII on PS3/PS4 as a PS2 Classic (as PC gamers can easily have access to it through emulation (PSCX2?) And have better resolution for the game).

You made me imagine what a Chrono Trigger remake running on UE4 could look like because of your comparison... The reason why I hate you right now. :p

Like this? :p
Chrono_Resurrection_screenshot.jpg

Kssio_Aug

man, I don't have a PS4 but I swear I'd buy both. They look so so different yet so beautiful.
If the NX version turns out to be closer to the PS4 than the 3DS one, I might grab that one.

This is all assuming that it even ever makes it overseas lol

Since its coming to PS4 they may have plans for western release. Hopefully for both versions!

As gorgeous as the PS4 version looks, I'm much more hyped and intrigued by the 3DS version. The two different presentation styles is an amazing gimmick.

Can't wait to here the Sugiyama soundtrack. Both versions are Day 1

SonicBoom

Game looks stunning on both systems. Great job Epic/Square

Now I would love to see Final Fantasy 9 remake in Unreal Engine 4

Yesss, I love how the 3DS version's characters have small bodies and huge heads, we definitely don't see enough of that on Nintendo handhelds, and I'm totally not tired of it

Like this? :p
Chrono_Resurrection_screenshot.jpg

I actually always kind of hated the way this looks.

But I think Toriyama's artstyle is really finicky and it either only works in sprites or cel-shaded (or otherwise cartoony) 3D models and I don't think the latter would work for Chrono Trigger.

I think Dragon Quest Swords is the only exception to this but he changed up his style enough for those designs.

120v

i just hope the 3DS version is pretty far along... i think the only thing that'd keep it from coming west is coming out too late in the system's life. SE usually localizes their marquee titles, and this obviously isn't some gimped afterthought of the PS4 version

AmyS

Ahhh, the lovely 16-bit goodness of 3DS version's bottom screen.

dq-s-5.jpg
dq-s-1.jpg
dq-s-2.jpg

SE, don't you dare keep this from me.

dq-s-5.jpg
dq-s-1.jpg
dq-s-2.jpg

Unfortunately, only the PS4 version is a lock for localization, given DQH and the fact that none of the 3DS remakes/spinoffs have made it overseas.

I'd still give the 3DS version 50-50 odds, though.

mrpeabody

There's something really funky with this and DQ:Builders, the monsters looks like they were superimposed on a background of some other game. Heck, everything looks strangely out of place to me for some reason.

Maybe its the black lines?

The level of detail is too different. The monsters are smoothly shaded but the dungeon has detailed textures.

They have some work to do on unifying the style.

rpmurphy

Unfortunately, only the PS4 version is a lock for localization, given DQH and the fact that none of the 3DS remakes/spinoffs have made it overseas.

I'm holding onto Horii's words about the DQVII and DQVIII remakes. The man has never lied, has he?

Aeana

Sorry if this is already answered, but DQ7 and 8 is already localized and available on mobile, no ? Why is it a problem to bring the 3ds versions over then ?

DQ7 is not. 8 has been released in English on PS2 and mobile, but the 3DS version has new story content to translate and voice. Still, I think 8 has a much higher chance of coming over than 7.

dq-s-5.jpg
dq-s-1.jpg
dq-s-2.jpg

Just want to inform you that the double screen display is only for the intro. You have to choose 2D or 3D after the intro, but can switch freely.

javadoze

I can see either only the PS4 version (localized by Square-Enix), or the NX/3DS versions (both localized by Nintendo) as the two possible scenarios here.

t26

I don't think they will ignore the fact in the US Dragon Quest IX was the best selling game in the series either.

Famassu

I don't think they will ignore the fact in the US Dragon Quest IX was the best selling game in the series either.
3DS is no DS and IX only achieved that with Nintendo's huge marketing push (there were even TV commercials for it where I live, something you almost never saw for DS games). You also have to take into account what 3DS' position might be in 2017, when a localization might realistically be released. It's not in the healthiest state now, it'll probably be even less so in 2017.

Why don't the 2D scenes on 3DS use the full width of the bottom screen? If they built this from the ground-up, why still display at 4:3?

Edit: I forgot 3DS has different width` screens, which the screenshots fill in with black. Oops! (Why, Nintendo.. why!)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I understand nostalgia and all that, but it blows my mind somone ould prefer the bottom screen to the top.

Agreed. Even more, I can't understand people clamoring for the 3DS version when the PS4 version is so stunning. The 3DS version isn't looking too hot, they could have at least made use of the New 3DS XL's power to boost those visuals a bit. Yikes.

Agreed. Even more, I can't understand people clamoring for the 3DS version when the PS4 version is so stunning. The 3DS version isn't looking too hot, they could have at least made use of the New 3DS XL's power to boost those visuals a bit. Yikes.
The 3ds is portable, though. Portable RPGs tend to be more convenient for folks, particularly grind-heavy ones.

inner-G

Banned
I think the style looks awesome, especially the sprites.

Top Bottom