• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I thought JRPG's were like 50+ hours so I've never put much time into them (except Persona 4, loved that game)

Well it was made 29 years ago. Different time back then and DQ was among the first, if not the first JRPG of its kind.

leroidys

Honestly, the more I look at the screens, the more beautiful it gets. I genuinely don't see what these people are weirdly complaining about besides obviously having a far more detailed environment than any other DQ game in the past.

Don't even get me started on how they haven't even seen it in motion either.

The lighting, the textures, everything looks so spot on already I hope nothing changes. This art style is a dream come true. Making it look muddier and less detailed, like an upscaled 3DS game = instant hype killer.

They showed it in motion at the reveal.

Don't see that happening. As SE doesn't seem to see the need to release it on other platforms (for example PC or Xbox One) to make it profitable for them. Usually the creator of DQ chooses the "most" popular platform as the sole way to enjoy/play the new entry (in this case 3DS and PS4). Dragon Quest games are usually exclusive games, the reason why they are bringing the portable version only on 3DS (not Vita too) and the console version only on PS4, as they are only considering the NX version (for now. SE might be waiting to see if NX can gain a certain momentum or a good enough userbase and if it will be powerful enough to run UE4 to bring the game on it).

Weren't there any other Dragon Quest games where you only had the main character to play with?

I was talking about Dragon Quest VIII bro, they released it on iOS and Android, I think that if they release it on PC it could be profitable for SE since there's a lot of gamers that really like the DQ games. ;)

Nice port begging fellas.

SE never released DQVIII for the PS3 as PS2 Classics, so it would a great idea to port it for the PS3, PS4 or PC...

Soriku

The battle shot is really clean. This game will looks beautiful on a TV :3

Really? I thought JRPG's were like 50+ hours so I've never put much time into them (except Persona 4, loved that game)

Many are...many aren't.

Let's all hope that the battle system is faster than it was in VIII. That game quickly got tedious.

I didn't think the battles were terribly slow in VIII, but that game had random battles which made things worse. Fortunately this game doesn't.

Reknoc

The battle UI is identical to X, probably doesn't mean much in a franchise with a barely changing UI but I can definitely see this as playing a more gorgeous X.

55CB5FDD464ACA001A

this is a dream

It really was. Is the Battle UI finalised?

Soriku

It doesn't?

Well, count me the fuck in!

You can see enemies roaming the field in this shot (as well as in the gameplay video from the conference).

DQ9 didn't have random battles either, although it was annoying because enemies ran faster than you and caught you pretty often. Very annoying in enclosed spaces. I don't think this game will have the same problem though...

Ganondorfo

I never see people talk about Dragon Quest 1-3, are these games not that popular in the franchise? Or is the first one remembered because it came with a magazine back then.

Wereroku

I never see people talk about Dragon Quest 1-3, are these games not that popular in the franchise? Or is the first one remembered because it came with a magazine back then.
The first one is probably the worst. 2 and 3 are great but different from 4-8. 4-6 are considered the best by many.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The first one is probably the worst. 2 and 3 are great but different from 4-8. 4-6 are considered the best by many.

The thing with Dragon Quests games is that there isn't any entry that can be considered bad. Most of them are really good and each entry introduces something new (never got why people said they're always the same), be it the narrative or new game systems. Everyone has their favourites but every entry is worth playing.

Mr YuYu

This is looking so good!! So will the 3ds version and the ps4 version be almost the same? (storywise that is) or will it be worth it to buy the 2 versions?

Been a while that i have this hyped for a game :)

Holy crap wow just wow

Man I can't wait I can't

The graphics mmmmm just incredible

unbelievable best use of the hardware

Oh yeah the PS4 and 3DS upper screen looks OK too

kagamin

I feel like 2D vs 3D is gonna be real tough for me to choose on the 3DS version, cause I love the sprite style so much.

It looks awesome, all hail Unreal Engine 4!! I cant believe how many Jrpgs and japanese games we are getting this generation, this looks like the revival of japanese gaming, at least i hope all these games come to the west so they can sell a ton of copies because i dont see japan abandoning portable gaming anytime soon.

Cassovia

imagine if FFVI remake is done in UE4 like that 0_0

Now that you mentioned it, I started imagining it :)
I think this generation will be wonderful, with SQ willing to use UE4, it's going to be glorious and QUICK. Not to mentioned that they just started using it, so it is going to better and better.

SQEX & UE4: a perfect match. This game looks incredible, and I have to imagine that the excellent dev tools are allowing them to build this game quickly. Fuck proprietary engines, I hope they go full UE4 from now on.

...but now we have to stress over whether they will localize this or not. :-(

Look like bullshots to me but I'm sure the games look great anyway on both platforms. I'm confident the characters will be "real" characters with specific design and background since there is a "set" MC (when 8 was revealed, they only revealed the MC alongside the game and other party members later). Super Hype !

BumRush

Honestly, the more I look at the screens, the more beautiful it gets. I genuinely don't see what these people are weirdly complaining about besides obviously having a far more detailed environment than any other DQ game in the past.

Don't even get me started on how they haven't even seen it in motion either.

The lighting, the textures, everything looks so spot on already I hope nothing changes. This art style is a dream come true. Making it look muddier and less detailed, like an upscaled 3DS game = instant hype killer.

Agreed. I assume the word incoherent was used incorrectly

Top Bottom