• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dragon Quest XI (PS4/3DS) screenshots

this is exactly what i wanted, when i thought about the next graphical step of Japano Games in this gen.

After those underwhelming Graphics of the japano games so far and seeing how Tales of Berseria still looks like a Ps3 Game its refreshing to see Kingdom Hearts 3 and now Dragon Quest 11 in their beauties
Hopefully now Level 5 will join them aswell

Agreed. Even more, I can't understand people clamoring for the 3DS version when the PS4 version is so stunning. The 3DS version isn't looking too hot, they could have at least made use of the New 3DS XL's power to boost those visuals a bit. Yikes.

Huh?I can argue that The 3DS version have two vision style, one of which is a 16 bit style and one is one of the most impressive looking portable game on 3DS while the ps4 have one. It's a matter of taste (retro, portable, home console) I will say 3DS have an advantage since its basically two games in one lol.

Aeana

Agreed. Even more, I can't understand people clamoring for the 3DS version when the PS4 version is so stunning. The 3DS version isn't looking too hot, they could have at least made use of the New 3DS XL's power to boost those visuals a bit. Yikes.

This is going to blow your mind, but some people think the 3DS version looks cool. A game can look appealing without being the top of the line graphically.

This looks great on both platforms, and that's annoying because I don't own either. Yet.

However, I have a couple of questions, and please realise this is the first i've ever seen of this game.

1. Other than art style and presentation, is this the exact same game on both platforms?

2. If it is, then where are all the people who complain about last gen holding back current gen games in this thread? Surely the 3DS is a far greater technological barrier to the design of a PS4 game than the PS3 is?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
However, I have a couple of questions, and please realise this is the first i've ever seen of this game.

1. Other than art style and presentation, is this the exact same game on both platforms?
It isn't the exact same game on both platforms because PS4 version is using Unreal Engine 4 which doesn't run on 3DS.

Bloodrage

Banned
...They're not even the same genre of game.
Hey I didn't bring up the weird comparison. I agree with you. But even if we were to compare, Versus, at this stage, STILL looks like one big tech demo for a fake game, and I don't see how it looks better than DQH gameplay wise.

Some Nobody

This looks great on both platforms, and that's annoying because I don't own either. Yet.

2. If it is, then where are all the people who complain about last gen holding back current gen games in this thread? Surely the 3DS is a far greater technological barrier to the design of a PS4 game than the PS3 is?

This argument only makes sense if a team has to split up its resources to develop it. These games are designed by two completely different teams. I'm guessing the only similarity is the basic story between them.

kagamin

I can't take a PS4 everywhere with me can I? Also I don't own one so there?

I absolutely wanna get this for ps4 for the hd towns with Dragon quest art from toriyama however I'm absolutely gonna get 3ds version too. It just looks awesome on both consoles and is really the best of both worlds for the two install bases. Square getting their act together thank god.

Bitanator

Yes let them take the N3DS power to alienate the 17 million other 3DS systems in japan to cater to the fraction of people who think it does not look that good. Honestly it looks like a much more refined DQ IX, I think it looks great for a jrpg on the 3DS, has the style I love and am asking for regarding Dragon Quest. Plus that 2D sprites on the bottom are to me "Looking Hot"

Reknoc

Because only a few key elements are the same. Both versions are versions made specifically for that console.

Ixion

How many of you are going to play the 2D version first, then the proper 3DS version second, and then the PS4 version last?

Hugstable

Banned
How many of you are going to play the 2D version first, then the proper 3DS version second, and then the PS4 version last?

I'm gonna do something close to that, gonna do 2D version, then PS4 and then the 3D 3DS style. Wanna switch up the console/handheld from playthrough to playthrough.

Rymuth

Depends on what gets released stateside first but I believe I'll go this order -

* PS4 version
* 3DS Classic style
Wait six months
*3DS new style

magnetic

Weird, I don't like the protagonist design at all in the PS4 version, but he looks pretty good in 3DS polygons. I like Toriyama when he does chibi style, but his more realistic proportions always looked off to me. (Dr Slump will always be remains among my all time favorite comics.)

I never liked how they have these odd egg heads in 2D, though, missing the rest of their faces, always reminded me of generic RPG Maker sprites. Though the animations on the enemies in the DS remakes were out if this world, do we know if they animate like that in 2D mode here as well?

On a sidenote, I also really loved how you could rotate the camera in the DS versions, sometimes with environments spanning the two screens, it gave these games a very dynamic feel and made the large castles and towers feel really spacious and massive. Actually, it almost reminded me of role playing miniature dioramas, like as if you were actually peeking inside a model of a castle, moving around your head. Super charming!

Hugstable

Banned
I never liked how they have these odd egg heads in 2D, though, missing the rest of their faces, always reminded me of generic RPG Maker sprites. Though the animations on the enemies in the DS remakes were out if this world, do we know if they animate like that in 2D mode here as well?

I think it's going to end up being like how Super Famicom 3 and 6 were in that they stay still normally but have animations for when they attack. Seems they are trying to channel the 16 bit feel more

That's the problem buddy, i can only seem to select "attack" lol!
lol...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173091076&postcount=1370

feels good to gloat sometimes, I figured this type of deal was going to be made because too much money was going to be left on the table by not going on 3DS. But, you want the franchise to grow and continue to expand (technically as well) to new audiences so you need powerful hardware and a console with momentum outside of the Japanese regions.

Dingens

I don't know why... but for some reason the ps4 visuals just don't do it for me.
Don't get me wrong, it looks really nice and clean, but just take away the characters and this might as well be some sort of generic-rpg UE4 tech demo

I don't know what I expected... but it was probably a lot more Cell shaded, akin to DQXs cut scenes for example

inner-G

Banned
I probably won't play the classic style. I don't need to play the same RPG 3 times.
So graphics are all there is to an RPG?

PS4 version looks sublime... shame that my skills are poop poor when it comes to RPG's T_T
You don't need RPG skills. DQ is literally probably the easiest RPG series to get into, it's really simple. Try one on your phone or something, you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom