• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First GTX 1070 benchmarks

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I mean, with these cards and the half assed PC shift with the new consoles coming out, everyone should just use a PC.

dr_rus

Well maybe 'concerned' was the wrong word to use. What I meant was, DX12 performance is one reason why I would consider a cheaper, less performant Polaris card. As going forward, AMD being hamstrung by their poor DX11 drivers will become less of a negative for their cards.
Well, sure, but I'm pretty certain that both 1070 and 1080 positioning is done in such a way as to account this new reality where AMD cards are performing a bit better than they used to back in 600/700/900 days. Basically, I don't think that Polaris will outperform 1070 even in DX12 even in AMD sponsored titles. NV sees the same benchmarks as everyone else.

Are you sure about AotS and async compute though? I am pretty sure async is a factor in that game's performance across both sets of cards.

The dev said this on the matter:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1569897/...ularity-dx12-benchmarks/1200_20#post_24356995
Yeah, I'm sure, as AotS is pretty good on AMD even in DX11 and async on switch gives some Radeons +10% at best, 0% at worst. AotS has a rather peculiar renderer where a lot of stuff is done in (a big) texture space with compute shaders which automatically switches off any delta or other color compression routines GPUs have and leads to a clear advantage of GPUs which have more pure bandwidth - like Fury for example.

The hype, for once, is real. I'm underwhelmed by the 1080 price/perf (expected) but am pleasantly surprised by the 1070, particularly in DX11 performance. The Founders Edition price premium and limited power envelope is, of course, a joke. But, the stock numbers - on par with the 980 Ti and within shouting distance of the Titan X - are impressive nonetheless. With the added bonus of amazing efficiency at a nice upper-mid price (assuming AIB versions are actually available at $379 sometime soon, the 1070 is disruptive).

Going forward, DX12 perf gives me just enough pause to see how Polaris 10 stacks up before I make a choice for one of my HTPC upgrades. If AMD can get the 480X within, say, 10%-15% of the 1070 on average at a $279 price point it'd be a strong contender in its own right.

For now, I'm taking a "wait and see"... But AMD better reveal something soon or chances are my primary HTPC will stay on the green team for now. Regardless of DX12 or Founders Edition bullshit, the 1070 would be a huge boost over this system's GTX 960. It's never wise to make a purchase before seeing the competition, but I'm beginning to lose patience with AMD and have money burning a hole in my pocket for this upgrade....

dr_rus

Any RAM tests? Does this card have a full 8GB?

Reposting from reviews thread:

43Rb.png

https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/737042686683713536

MuchoMalo

Banned
Moderately, lol. And despite the fact that it isn't moderately OCed a comparison makes only sense between the same preconditions. A 1070 that's OCed by 40 % will destroy a 980 Ti that's OCed by 40 %.

There are two issues with this.

1. No, it won't. They trade blows at stock, so the same applies when overclocked.
2. You're never going to see a 40% overclock of a 1070 on air.

Haunted

What's the release date on this card?
June 10 for the more expensive Founders Edition straight from nvidia.

Various rumours about the custom card (your MSIs, gigabytes, palits etc) release dates ranging from almost simultaneous releases (unlikely) to end of June (possible) to July (likely).

I'm basically scouring the news sites for any mentions and leaks about the 1070 plans of various custom card manufacturers. :D

Mivey

I hate to break it to you, but the 970 has a full 4 GB and always has. That was never the issue with the 970.
Liar! Jen-Hsun Huang personally opened up every GTX 970 and cut out 0.5 GB out of each card with a utility knife. Not because he gained anything from it, (the memory had to be 4GB at some point), but out of utter malice and contempt.

That's not "strange". A Fury X is a card with 8.6 TF single precision FP performance and 512GB/s of bandwidth. What's "strange" -- if anything is -- is just how far below its expected performance it punches in the vast majority of games.

a furyx isnt even scaling beyond a 390x tho. a390x is achieving the same perf and its <6 tlop

Durante

a furyx isnt even scaling beyond a 390x tho. a390x is achieving the same perf and its <6 tlop
Exactly. Strange, isn't it?
(Well no, it's not, it's just a result of actual in-game GPU performance being more complex than merely a function of FLOPs and bandwidth. But it's an indicator of the HW potential, and that was my point)

With how grossly expensive AIB 1080s are here in China (Asus and Zotacs cost a whopping $865!) I think I might just go for a 1070 and wait for 1080Ti sometime next year.

I've had 2 670s in my PC since I built it at the end of 2012. They've served me well, really well, in fact. The second card was a massive boon when it came to retaining 60fps at 1080p in games like Fallout 4 and GTAV. I'm amazed at just how well these cards have coped with most well optimised modern games at high settings. It made sense to wait when I could still play games that would look either the same or slightly better than the PS4 version. The 1080 is out of my price range, but the 1070 isn't. After eyeing up a GPU upgrade since last year and being told to wait, it's kind of satisfying that I managed to hold out. Hopefully in August/September I can pick one of these up.

Liar! Jen-Hsun Huang personally opened up every GTX 970 and cut out 0.5 GB out of each card with a utility knife. Not because he gained anything from it, (the memory had to be 4GB at some point), but out of utter malice and contempt.

He likes to wear the skins of dead animals during his product reveals too, the heartless bastard.

Various rumours about the custom card (your MSIs, gigabytes, palits etc) release dates ranging from almost simultaneous releases (unlikely) to end of June (possible) to July (likely).

I'm basically scouring the news sites for any mentions and leaks about the 1070 plans of various custom card manufacturers. :D
Thanks. I'm waiting for the ASUS model.

I want to pick one of these up as soon as possible, but I'm a little worried about how hard to find they're going to be. 1080s have been going out of stock super fast, and I have a feeling the demand for this card is going to be even higher.

draliko

I haven't decided yet, is it worth to buy a evga 970 for about 280€ and then wait for the step up program? I'm actually unsure of the 1070 price here in Italy and my 6950 is clearly showing its age... I don't know how much I'm gonna lose in the step up process, any suggestion guys?

Azar

From the ones I've talked to at Computex, nobody's giving out real dates just yet (and the dates may not even be completely finalized). But summer is a safe bet. End of June at the earliest, I think.

I haven't decided yet, is it worth to buy a evga 970 for about 280€ and then wait for the step up program? I'm actually unsure of the 1070 price here in Italy and my 6950 is clearly showing its age... I don't know how much I'm gonna lose in the step up process, any suggestion guys?

I would just wait.

Top Bottom