• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First GTX 1070 benchmarks

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What event? The Macau event was yesterday. All we found out from that was the 29th June NDA date presumably for Polaris cards.

Should be no more than £350. But they won't be at launch. But that is the price they should normalize at. But 'should' is different to 'will'.

That's all we learned, but AMD demoed the cards for the invitees. And presumably we are going to get some public details this week too at Computex unless AMD changed their plans.

Breads

Banned
I was going to make a topic on this but I guess I could just ask this here.

As someone who bought a R7 370 as a holdover until Pascals came out (my previous card was much worse), if I am quite content with the 32 inch 1080p/60hz TV that I use for my PC and console gaming what are the reasons to skip the gtx1070 and go right to the gtx1080?

I don't have an immediate interest in VR and although I intend on getting a Gsync/4k set eventually -unless my current 1080p/60hz set dies- I have no compulsion to change or upgrade. The R7 370 card I currently use is only okay but the real upgrade is coming soon and the gtx1080 seems a bit overkill for my immediate 1080p/60fps goals.

Zojirushi

So, Ultra Settings + 1440p/1080p + 60fps for the rest of the gen is a safe bet?

Certainly not. Don't focus on "Ultra" settings, that is always a dumb thing to do in PC gaming. Let developers put in that sweet future tech that no current card can run properly.

Odorono

Banned
Certainly not. Don't focus on "Ultra" settings, that is always a dumb thing to do in PC gaming. Let developers put in that sweet future tech that no current card can run properly.

Agreed, people are too obsessed with having max settings. Turning one setting down from Ultra to very high can make a HUGE difference but a lot of people don't seem to care.

Tasty benchmarks, but will keep my 970 for now until the 1170 is out, and get that hbm2 goodness.

I'll oc my 970 later this year or next year to keep up with the new releases. Doom runs like an absolute champ on this card.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I don't think you'll get 200€ for a used 970 now that the 1070's just around the corner. It's gonna be a buyer's market with every enthusiast wanting to upgrade and flooding the second-hand market with previous-gen cards.

I'm not even expecting to get 250€ for my 980, TBH.

Oh, don't worry. I'll get them. I sold a two 680 for €150 each a year ago :p

Should I go for the 1080 or the 1070 will be substantial enough?

In other words, is the ~€300 difference justified?

Oh, don't worry. I'll get them. I sold a two 680 for €150 each a year ago :p

Should I go for the 1080 or the 1070 will be substantial enough?

In other words, is the ~€300 difference justified?

Sell my 980 for me ^^

As for 1070 vs 1080, it all depends on what your needs are. What do you play? What monitor do you have? Do you want to jump into VR? How future-proof do you want to be?

cripterion

Rafy

I don't think you'll get 200€ for a used 970 now that the 1070's just around the corner. It's gonna be a buyer's market with every enthusiast wanting to upgrade and flooding the second-hand market with previous-gen cards.

Locally they still sell for around 300€ used, and I don't think they'll get much cheaper considering that retailers here will be pricing the AiB cards the same as the FE. They just did the same with the 1080 AiB cards 2 days ago.

That FE pricepoint really screwed things up here in the EU. Almost all the AiB cards will use that for MSRP instead of the 380€ by Nvidia. The fact that the FE will be available for the lifetime of the 10 series cards makes things even worse...

According to Italian sites the 1070 cards from board partners will start around 440,00€

Unain

Time to start building that new computer.
Finally time to upgrade my 5 year old i5-2500k and replace my 770 GTX with a 1070 GTX!

Zojirushi

Locally they still sell for around 300€ used, and I don't think they'll get much cheaper considering that retailers here will be pricing the AiB cards the same as the FE. They just did the same with the 1080 AiB cards 2 days ago.

That FE pricepoint really screwed things up here in the EU. Almost all the AiB cards use that for MSRP instead of the 380€ by Nvidia. The fact that the FE will be available for the lifetime of the 10 series cards makes things even worse...

According to Italian sites the 1070 cards from board partners will start around 440,00€

Yeah, be ready to pay 500€ for that thing. NVidia has effectively raised the X70 prices to X80 levels and x80 prices to x80Ti levels. Congratulations.

HowZatOZ

Banned
How can a 20% faster card give you two more years? It's hard to say how long a card will last without accounting for a lot of subjective things but you would need a much higher difference for that to happen, like 2x not 1.2.

Sorry, I more meant the timeline for my own personal benefit. Considering I've had the 770 for now going on three years I could definitely see either or card taking me to well past four or even five years.

PnCIa

Yeah, be ready to pay 500€ for that thing. NVidia has effectively raised the X70 prices to X80 levels and x80 prices to x80Ti levels. Congratulations.
Yep. But there are enough people applauding so who cares, right? :>
I really hope that the fastest polaris chip reaches 1070 performance levels, nvidia needs competition fast or else us consumers are fucked.

Hasney

Still, I think these cards are too damn expensive considering they're not Ti versions.

The 980 was lainced at similar to Ti prices too. If it follows similar from the 980 series, the Ti version will only be about $50 more than the 1080 and the 1080 price will drop. It worked out well for them without making the To ridiculously expensive.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Sell my 980 for me ^^

As for 1070 vs 1080, it all depends on what your needs are. What do you play? What monitor do you have? Do you want to jump into VR? How future-proof do you want to be?

1920x1080, 60 Hz. It's not so much about resolution, but about performance. My 970 struggled with some titles, like the most crowded scenes in Hitman or some areas in Rise of the Tomb Raider. Also, I don't care about VR right now, to be honest.

I'm hoping the upgrade will last me for three or four years. I will be upgrading my motherboard and CPU when the new Intel line is released. I'm still rocking my old i5 2500K@4.2 GHz and the difference in performance with the latest CPUs has not been enough to justify the upgrade.

Breads

Banned
Sell my 980 for me ^^

- Current gen RPGs (Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3), random AAAs (Doom, Tomb Raider), mobas, and indies.
- 1080p/ 60hz
- VR interest is only secondary
- At least 2 years full screen with high but not necessarily maxed settings.

Honey Bunny

I saw a 970 go for 198 EUR on ebay yesterday.

cripterion

The 980 was lainced at similar to Ti prices too. If it follows similar from the 980 series, the Ti version will only be about $50 more than the 1080 and the 1080 price will drop. It worked out well for them without making the To ridiculously expensive.

Hoping it does follow suit. I'm just not liking the Euro prices on these new cards.

DieH@rd

Banned
I was going to make a topic on this but I guess I could just ask this here.

As someone who bought a R7 370 as a holdover until Pascals came out (my previous card was much worse), if I am quite content with the 32 inch 1080p/60hz TV that I use for my PC and console gaming what are the reasons to skip the gtx1070 and go right to the gtx1080?

I don't have an immediate interest in VR and although I intend on getting a Gsync/4k set eventually -unless my current 1080p/60hz set dies- I have no compulsion to change or upgrade. The R7 370 card I currently use is only okay but the real upgrade is coming soon and the gtx1080 seems a bit overkill for my immediate 1080p/60fps goals.

1070 will be fine, although in a few days we will get the info about Polaris 10. It may be a little slower than 1070, but price/performance ratio should be better.

wildfire

Banned
Still getting a 1070 (waiting for the gaming bundles that usually come in the fall) but these results are underwhelming. When I was mapping out my plan to upgrade I was hoping for a card slightly faster than a Titan to reach certain performance benchmarks but I did that so far back I wasn't up to date on how much closer the 980Ti and Titan have gotten in benchmark performance. That titan X has really become a joke of a high end card and as a result being slightly faster than it still doesn't meet my previous expectations of reaching certain thresholds.

Oh well at least there is still gsync but I really wanted to fully enjoy the benefits of ULMB with the games coming out in the next 9 months.

Hopefully Polaris will be able to at least come close to this so there will be competition. 500€ is still a high price for a considerably cut down second tier chip.

I'm probably waiting until DX: Mankind Divided releases in August before I make my move, unless there's a good deal coming sooner. By then there should be a good amount of custom cards available from both sides, and the prices should settle.

OmegaDL50

The MSI HD7950 I have in my PC is about 27.5cm long. (roughly under 11 inches)

The GTX 1080 according to HardOCP was measured at 10.8 Inches, so almost identical in length as my HD7950.

The GTX 1070 shouldn't have any problems fitting in more recent PC cases.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Looks pretty good, though I don't like how far Nvida went to make sure that it can never match a stock 1080 in a realistic scenario. :/ I guess I'll buy it, though the nerfed overclocking is making me think about waiting to see what an overclocked Polaris 10 can do.

FE will be 499€ in Europe (Germany). So probably around 450€ for the basic non-FE models and 450-500€ for the good versions. A used 980 Ti is also roughly at 450€. One benchmark I want to see is typically overclocked 980 Ti vs. typically overclocked 1070.

980 Ti should overclock much better and beat the 1070. 1070 overclocking is nerfed. Only up to a 112% power limit, and a max clock of 2050MHz without a custom BIOS.

Nope. Consoles use AMD APUs.

Next round of "upgrades" will be based on Polaris GPU modules.

Well, Nintendo is going with Nvidia this time around, though it'll be closer to a cut-down GP108 than this beast.

The MSI HD7950 I have in my PC is about 27.5cm long. (roughly under 11 inches)

The GTX 1080 according to HardOCP was measured at 10.8 Inches, so almost identical in length as my HD7950.

The GTX 1070 shouldn't have any problems fitting in my case.

Partner cards will have different dimensions.

Zojirushi

Hopefully Polaris will be able to at least come close to this so there will be competition. 500€ is still a high price for a considerably cut down second tier chip.

I'm probably waiting until DX: Mankind Divided releases in August before I make my move, unless there's a good deal coming sooner. By then there should be a good amount of custom cards available from both sides, and the prices should settle.

Are prices really going down over time with these cards? I think the 970 still sells for roughly the same price and it was selling above MSRP for a long time.

Agreed, people are too obsessed with having max settings. Turning one setting down from Ultra to very high can make a HUGE difference but a lot of people don't seem to care.

So true.

Newer games often become more computationally demanding to run as the developers push for more complexity and visual fidelity.

The pursuit for 60fps max settings for a set number of years is a tough one. Computational demands and requirements vary between different games and developers and they constantly grow.

A GTX 970 could easily last another 2 or more years at graphical settings that are notch or two below the highest at 1080p and stay close to a 60 fps target.

You could even have a custom mix of settings which push for the most noticeable boosts in visual fidelity while still maintaining a 60 fps target.
This could be something like 4 very high settings, two high, and maybe one medium thrown in.

You would need a lot of headroom to cope with the fluctuations in computational demands in order to keep that max settings 60 fps target, unless you don't mind letting the minimum dip into the 50s or something. Even then, one setting could lift your minimum into the 60s.

If you're running an SLI or Crossfire setup then it can be achieved pretty easily, at 1440p and above they really begin to stretch their legs.
Crossfire and SLI scaling is often at 80% and over, so if you get one of the fastest GPUs at the time and run two of those then you're potentially looking at GPU power that's in a league of it's own until the next generation of high-end GPUs.

An example of this would be the R9 295X2 and the Titan X.
The R9 295X2 is faster than the Titan X, and the Titan X or even the 980 Ti in SLI is faster than the GTX 1080.

The downside of this is that you'll be relying on SLI and CF support and profiles.

DieH@rd

Banned
Well, Nintendo is going with Nvidia this time around, though it'll be closer to a cut-down GP108 than this beast.

Rumor has said that they went with nvidia Tegra for handheld. That will be small 5W chip at best, nowhere close to these desktop parts.

For home console AMD is the best choice since only they can create highend APUs.

Yep, 1070 it is for me then, faster than a Titan X for 379.99 once the FE stuff passes. Moving up from a GTX 770, so I'll be seeing some ludicrous gains. Then play practically nothing but Overwatch and waste such glorious power.

pa22word

Geez are those arkham knight benches real? just before the refund thing revoked all the keys it was running nowhere NEAR those framerates on my 980ti setup

Geez are those arkham knight benches real? just before the refund thing revoked all the keys it was running nowhere NEAR those framerates on my 980ti setup

Arkham Knight's weird. For some it runs terribly on excellent hardware and for others (like me on an i7 875k@stock, 8Gb DDR3-2000 & R9 290) it ran pretty well. Either they lucked out or they just bruteforced their way through the bottlenecks.

E: I should probably try it again now I've OC'd the CPU to 3.5Ghz, added 8Gb of RAM and upgraded to a 980...

Going from a GTX 760 (goodbye old friend you've served me well) to a GTX 1070 is going to be a major upgrade, cannot wait to get back to playing games on Ultra at 60fps.

The GTX 1080 is a beast of a card but the GTX 1070 isn't exactly dragging it's feet either and as I only play at 1080p on a 40" HDTV, the GTX 1080 would be overkill for the price, just for 1080p gaming.

Okay, so I'm gonna hop in here because I think this place is where it makes the most sense to ask this question.

I'm looking on upgrading in the very near future, and I'm trying to decide if I should get the 1070 or the 1080. I know the 1080 will be a significantly bigger bite out of my wallet, but it's also looking like it's a ridiculously powerful card (in comparison, I bought my current PC prebuilt and have replaced parts as I feel like it - started with a GT 520, to GTX 560Ti, to the GTX 770 I have now. Essentially every other part in this PC is getting retired, I'm only keeping the PSU, Disc Drive, and HDD). Anyways, my real question is this: I like my games to look good, but I'm not a 4K gamer, 1080p60 is just as good in my eyes. I am an idiot when it comes to looking at power numbers and whatnot and understanding these graphs. That said, a 1070 would be strong enough for me to play pretty much any game at 1080p60, right? Even if I threw in some solid graphics mods and whatnot?

EDIT: Actually reading the thread some before I posted a question like this would show that this is a dumbass question, and a 1070 will kick pretty much anything I throw at it right in the teeth.

neoemonk

Jeez it is going to be so hard come upgrade time. Do I get the 1080 and not have to worry about upgrading for the next five years or do I get the 1070 and live comfortably at 1080p for the next three to five years. Either one is a gigantic upgrade from my 770 but boy is it hard.

Hahaha it really is. I'm in queue for a step up to an ACX 3.0 1080, but I may switch gears and end up going with a 1070 instead. Alternately if EVGA throws a 1080 FTW out there I may jump on that.

At the end of the day these are good problems to have though.

Okay, so I'm gonna hop in here because I think this place is where it makes the most sense to ask this question.

I'm looking on upgrading in the very near future, and I'm trying to decide if I should get the 1070 or the 1080. I know the 1080 will be a significantly bigger bite out of my wallet, but it's also looking like it's a ridiculously powerful card (in comparison, I bought my current PC prebuilt and have replaced parts as I feel like it - started with a GT 520, to GTX 560Ti, to the GTX 770 I have now. Essentially every other part in this PC is getting retired, I'm only keeping the PSU, Disc Drive, and HDD). Anyways, my real question is this: I like my games to look good, but I'm not a 4K gamer, 1080p60 is just as good in my eyes. I am an idiot when it comes to looking at power numbers and whatnot and understanding these graphs. That said, a 1070 would be strong enough for me to play pretty much any game at 1080p60, right? Even if I threw in some solid graphics mods and whatnot?

The 1070 looks like a cheaper slightly better 980 Ti or Titan X, and you can find tons of 1080p/60 benchmarks out in the wild right now since they've been out for a while. If you're staying at 1080p I think you're fine with a 1070.

Hahaha it really is. I'm in queue for a step up to an ACX 3.0 1080, but I may switch gears and end up going with a 1070 instead. Alternately if EVGA throws a 1080 FTW out there I may jump on that.

At the end of the day these are good problems to have though.

The 1070 looks like a cheaper slightly better 980 Ti or Titan X, and you can find tons of 1080p/60 benchmarks out in the wild right now since they've been out for a while. If you're staying at 1080p I think you're fine with a 1070.

I'm likely to stay at 1080p, since my dad recently 'gave' me a 1080p 32" Sony TV to use as a monitor. I think my only real issue with my 770 at the moment is that I went cheap when I got it because I didn't really know the differences, and got one without much VRAM. I'm not playing super demanding games on it typically.

Top Bottom