• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First GTX 1070 benchmarks

K' Dash

In most benchmarks a nicely OC'd 980ti clocked very close to the 1080, this numbers doesn't make sense, I'll wait for more sites to do their thing.

120v

Reminder: I called it.

I didn't expect the 1070 to wipe the floor like this, though. Incredible. LOL at the 980Ti owners who wanted the gaming world held back.

i recently got a great deal on a 980 Ti.... i admit it is bittersweet

but i'm glad nvidia is carrying over the price/perf of the 970. i was worried that card was an anamoly

Disxo

This will be my next gpu, time to retire my gt640. (Wonder how much will it improve)

Is a third gen I5 not going to bottleneck this beast?

K' Dash

i recently got a great deal on a 980 Ti.... i admit it is bittersweet

but i'm glad nvidia is carrying over the price/perf of the 970. i was worried that card was an anamoly

980ti is still one of the more powerful cards in the market, it will serve you well for years to come.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yes but they're most likely from the benchmarking tool the game provides, which does not correlate to what your performance is like in the actual game. The morning AK came out, people were posting great numbers like that and getting all excited, then they fired up the campaign and it all went to shit.

Yeah, I raised an eyebrow at those AK benchmarks. No way in hell is my 960 getting 60fps. Not unless the GPU fairies showed up.

BriGuy

I'm not as gaming PC savvy as most people in this thread, but I kind of don't see the point in getting a 1080 over a 1070, at least not at that price differential.

holygeesus

Banned
In most benchmarks a nicely OC'd 980ti clocked very close to the 1080, this numbers doesn't make sense, I'll wait for more sites to do their thing.

The numbers tally with what Nvidia have been saying i.e. it will outperform the 980ti/Titan X

Stock for stock that is. Depending on how the overclocks are, and the fact that literally nobody in the world runs a 980ti at true stock speeds, then any 980ti owner is likely to see comparable if not better performance in games than anyone using a 1070. I'm getting nigh on 1080 performance out of my overclocked 980ti.

ghibli99

I don't think you'll get 200€ for a used 970 now that the 1070's just around the corner. It's gonna be a buyer's market with every enthusiast wanting to upgrade and flooding the second-hand market with previous-gen cards.

I'm not even expecting to get 250€ for my 980, TBH.
Is supply on 1070/1080 cards going to be an issue, though? While there will undoubtedly be lots of people wanting to early adopt 'em, I think there's still going to be room for decent resale. Maybe not on 970s, but I think 980s will still be popular.

K' Dash

The numbers tally with what Nvidia have been saying i.e. it will outperform the 980ti/Titan X

Stock for stock that is. Depending on how the overclocks are, and the fact that literally nobody in the world runs a 980ti at true stock speeds, then any 980ti owner is likely to see comparable if not better performance in games than anyone using a 1070. I'm getting nigh on 1080 performance out of my overclocked 980ti.

Yup I agree, that's why I think these numbers are too optimistic, I subscribed the best benchmarks for the 1080 on YouTube, I'll just wait for them to do their thing and adored tv to do their analysis.

Maaan, I was going to hold out with my EVGA SSC 970 until I built a new PC in like 2018 but the temptation is strong here. I too might wait until Fall though when the game bundles start rolling out seeing as I ended up getting four games with my 970 which made the deal even better.

I didn't expect the 1070 to wipe the floor like this, though. Incredible. LOL at the 980Ti owners who wanted the gaming world held back.

I "called it" back in like January or December but I don't feel the need to bring it up every other time I post in these topics.

Maaan, I was going to hold out with my EVGA SSC 970 until I built a new PC in like 2018 but the temptation is strong here. I too might wait until Fall though when the game bundles start rolling out seeing as I ended up getting four games with my 970 which made the deal even better.

Yeah, I have my EVGA FTW 970 which has held up fine since I got it around November 2014. But getting a 1440p monitor last year has started to push it a bit in certain games so a 1070 is looking mighty tempting.

That said, I think you're right about the game bundles. At some point last year weren't they bundling MGSV and The Witcher with Nvidia cards? I could probably hold out a bit to see if they start bundling Battlefield 1 or Deus Ex with the 1070s or 1080s.

Wipe the floor as in 10% upgrade?

And where are these 980ti owners who wanted to held the gaming world back? All I see is your constant posting about 1) how shit Vive is (despite having a shitty gpu) and 2) 980/980ti owners are doomed.

I own two 980tis, and I can't wait to see my gpus get obsolete, since I love this stuff and I can afford to upgrade as much as I like. This just isn't the time.

Teletraan1

Banned
This looks like the card I will get. The current price in Canada for the 1080 is too much for my taste.

Glad we are getting less of those pointless "waiting for HBM2" posts now that people are seeing what these cards can do for what they cost.

120v

980ti is still one of the more powerful cards in the market, it will serve you well for years to come.

no regrets here... the important thing is i'm pleased, its more than capable with 1440p, VR, ect. there's always going be something else around the corner.

i admit i didn't expect the next x70 card to match it but it bodes well for my next upgrade so no salt. plus i don't expect these cards to be readily available until august or september or so

Yeah, I have my EVGA FTW 970 which has held up fine since I got it around November 2014. But getting a 1440p monitor last year has started to push it a bit in certain games so a 1070 is looking mighty tempting.

That said, I think you're right about the game bundles. At some point last year weren't they bundling MGSV and The Witcher with Nvidia cards? I could probably hold out a bit to see if they start bundling Battlefield 1 or Deus Ex with the 1070s or 1080s.

At this point last year, or well a couple weeks earlier in May it was Witcher 3 (until it ran out) and Arkham Knight, MGSV was added in late July IIRC which I still imagine was so hassle free for many of us to get because of the train wreck AK ended up being. I also got AC:Syndicate in the Fall due to NewEgg being cool, I just asked at the end of a chat about something else and didn't expect them to do it but the CS did.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Stop the trolling bro.
It is what they said and look how it turned out. 980Ti owners can sit still but no way should anyone get a used 980Ti over a 1070. Unless it's for like $250.

1) how shit Vive is (despite having a shitty gpu)
Are you saying upgrading my GPU will fix my graphical issues with my Vive?

Fitts

I've been more than happy with my 960 as a stopgap card but yeah... I'll aim for having a 1070 in time for Mankind Divided. Good shit.

K' Dash

no regrets here... the important thing is i'm pleased, its more than capable with 1440p, VR, ect. there's always going be something else around the corner.

i admit i didn't expect the next x70 card to match it but it bodes well for my next upgrade so no salt. plus i don't expect these cards to be readily available until august or september or so

Your next upgrade should be the 1080ti, 1170 or 1180, anything else is not worth it :)

That's what they said about the 780Ti.

Funny thing is, I'm still using a single 780Ti for my 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and it's doing pretty well. Obviously can't crank all the settings up on every new game but the games I play the most (which right now is Overwatch) it runs like a dream.

It did serve me for "years" after the next set came out. The biggest limiter in the 780ti was VRAM and 980Ti doesn't really have the problem as much.

Is supply on 1070/1080 cards going to be an issue, though? While there will undoubtedly be lots of people wanting to early adopt 'em, I think there's still going to be room for decent resale. Maybe not on 970s, but I think 980s will still be popular.

Possibly, I think I recall the 970 being very hard to get early on. 1070 being an even better case of bang for your buck will most likely mean the same situation.

th4tguy

I've always bought the mid series cards. 670, 770, 5850, and so on. After about a year, I can never find benchmarks for them. It's like they don't exist. They'll always have the high and low tier cards but never the mid.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm just saying that judging something that needs at least a 970 with a far lesser gpu is plain stupid.
I'm assuming you've never used it, have you? It works fine. And I'll get to see myself whether a better gpu fixes the blur. I doubt it.

Pay more attention to the content of posts instead of the poster. You'll be happier.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

Are you serious?

Who honestly wanted GPU performance to be held back? as a 980Ti owner I certainly didn't, I'm very happy with my card and I'll be happy with the 1080Ti when it comes out.

I'm assuming you've never used it, have you? It works fine. And I'll get to see myself whether a better gpu fixes the blur. I doubt it.

Pay more attention to the content of posts instead of the poster. You'll be happier.

You're not fixing the lenses with a new gpu, if that is what you're implying. Still, other visual clarity related issues *could* be performance-related, judging by my experience with all VR headsets.

But you're right, I should just ignore you altogether.

Considering in Europe the price difference between the 1080 and 1070 will probably be around 300 Euro, I think they 1070 will be what I will go for.

petran79

Banned
I've always bought the mid series cards. 670, 770, 5850, and so on. After about a year, I can never find benchmarks for them. It's like they don't exist. They'll always have the high and low tier cards but never the mid.

you can find some youtube videos for older cards that compare them with the new ones. For 1080 those cards are very good if you enable just basic enhancements. Street Fighter V runs fine on max settings even on a GTX660.

Really if you do not pay attention to the latest multiplatform titles and focus on games made specifically for PC, they can still run at 60 fps

kaskade

Looks solid to me. I can't wait to get mine so I can get back to playing doom. I'd love to start back up with Witcher 3 as well.

Well... I'm not easily impressed but here I am. The card is more powerful and less power hungry than a 970. I'm a big proponent of power efficiency and this looks really good. Now I'm interested in what could come out of a 1060 or a 1050 card.

This is what I needed. My monitor is only 1080p and I don't have any intent to upgrade so the 1080 is total overkill. Can't wait to pick this up!

Top Bottom