• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Horizon review [Engadget]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds fantastic. Yes there are elements of other games here. Of course there are. No game exists in a vacuum. But for the reviewer at least, they're put together in a way that's grabbed her. If she never played open world RPGs before and found that Horizon clicked with her, then it must be doing something refreshing and unique compared to all the Witchers and Far Crys and Tomb Raiders out there.

Maybe it's Aloy and her characterisation. Maybe it's the beautiful environments. Maybe it's the bow gameplay that shares both shooter and RPG elements. Maybe it's the robot dinos.

Maybe it's everything that has been done before, put together in a way that's never been done before.
You can add elements of other games but it's the way you polish or add to it that matters. Take nioh for example

Crayon

raw

ShdwDrake

Banned
Witcher 3 is structured like a Ubisoft game. There are special spots that unlock points of interests around the map, resources to collect so you can craft, places to clear so the locals can take it back, etc.

State of Decay too. That game even has towers and high spots where you can mark points of interest. And light RPG elements, and crafting, and stealth kills

The elements of a Ubisoft game are the elements of the open world game. Ubisoft just does them worse than other games

Thats part of it. The main reason, however, would be that its currently the only type of game that Ubisoft makes and Ubisoft generally put out multiple triple A titles a year. Last year we got the Division and Watch Dogs 2 for example.

Its more of a mindshare thing. When you review games or play alot of games and one developer makes all their games, or the vast majority, the same way.

As soon as some people and some from the media started with the "a bit like Zelda" stuff, I knew this would happen.

like that comment a while back by some journalist saying KZ2 might be the Halo killer

lol memories

I mean good games don't mean that your other said game is going to die or something

mugwhump

Terrible effort 3/10

Hey, I think the game looks quite good. But I thought the review was awfully lacklustre.

Although I could be biased since I don't really like Aloy. I find the way she chatters to herself insanely annoying. I'm interested in HZD for the gameplay, and this review really didn't cover that as well as it should have, IMO.

Monday is gonna be a bad day for all the Sony haters. There I said it.

GG has probably been laughing their asses off at some of the shit that has been posted about Horizon over last couple of months.

Crayon

Aloy could be the next Disney princess

She's better than a disney princess. I'm actually not a big disney fan. That aside, Aloy is a striking and refreshing main character for a game this big. This may be the Lara Croft of the new generation.

TsuWave

guerrilla lets go!!!!! seriously tho, its great to see a studio break out of their "comfort zone" and seemingly do so well in a different genre.

Hey, I think the game looks quite good. But I thought the review was awfully lacklustre.

Although I could be biased since I don't really like Aloy. I find the way she chatters to herself insanely annoying. I'm interested in HZD for the gameplay, and this review really didn't cover that as well as it should have, IMO.

This review is a personal opinion on why this person individually enjoyed their experience. It wasn't because of the gameplay. It was because of the story and the main character, so that's what they covered.

It's much more personal than other types of reviews, and honestly I welcome it. We'll have tons of reviews that go into detail about the gameplay and graphics. This one is focused on other parts of it.

jjonez18

Nothing but praise. I was holding my breath on this one. Guess I can finally let out a sigh of relief.

Just that new IP carried by marketing and hype have destroyed my hype-o-meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom