• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Horizon review [Engadget]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure that there might be a person out there that agrees with me about almost every game but one. Someone can't like a game I like and still agreed with me about others.
Just sayin

Tagyhag

It's an interesting review, and I liked the parts that describe Aloy, but I don't get much out of the review considering the reviewer isn't a fan of other open-world RPG's and didn't go too much into detail regarding its gameplay systems.

I need other games to compare it to

Also, I hope they don't get in trouble for breaking the embargo lol.

It means alot as Engadget and the Verge only commentate if the game is super hype or if its really good. And according to Gaf hype was meh.

What ?
No one would say that HZD was not hype but it also had it share of it not going to do well.
All you have to do is read any HZD thread.

Oh, and seriously, I wish we got more reviews like this. It's very well written and expresses why the game is good for this person; it's not a review trying to appeal to everyone but rather why this game appealed to her. That is the kind of impressions and perspective you can't get from watching gameplay on Youtube

xabbott

They're complaining about game length now so too late

After seeing the previews it seemed pretty clear it was an Ubisoft style RPG. I had 25-40 hours in my mind. That's completely fine by me. If they wanted to make it like Skyrim or Fallout they would just end up padding it with tons of "go to x and kill x."

So far, in recent memory only The Witcher managed to make a ton of actual content to fill out a massive RPG. I'm good with just one of those every few years too. I still never even got to the Witcher's expansions.

Loudninja

Oh, and seriously, I wish we got more reviews like this. It's very well written and expresses why the game is good for this person; it's not a review trying to appeal to everyone but rather why this game appealed to her. That is the kind of impressions and perspective you can't get from watching gameplay on Youtube
Yeah going to read it again when ti up great review with no spoilers.

This. Also that bob ross painting

After seeing the previews it seemed pretty clear it was an Ubisoft style RPG. I had 25-40 hours in my mind. That's completely fine by me. If they wanted to make it like Skyrim or Fallout they would just end up padding it with tons of "go to x and kill x."

So far, in recent memory only The Witcher managed to make a ton of actual content to fill out a massive RPG. I'm good with just one of those every few years too. I still never even got to the Witcher's expansions.

What? No just no, length has nothing to do with it. Mass effect is also 20-30 hours.... It doesn;t have much in common with ubisoft games other then having moving towers. This game has very little in common with ubisoft games unless you think Ubisoft invented map markers and crafting. Ubisoft games don;t have 10 hours if dialog, dialog wheels or choices.People who have played it also say it is more like TW3 then any ubi game.

Uh... I don't think so lol. Impressions suggest the side quests are dynamic and similar to TW3

Tutomos

Wouldn't be surprised if Horizon reviews and sells better than Zelda. People will inevitably compare them both in a few weeks. Sony seems very confident about the game. They stay firm with the release date and give reviewers ample time to play the game.

Wouldn't be surprised if Horizon reviews and sells better than Zelda. People will inevitably compare them both in a few weeks. Sony seems very confident about the game. They stay firm with the release date and give reviewers ample time to play the game.
There's also the matter of number of user base difference between the consoles...

ShdwDrake

Banned
What? No just no, length has nothing to do with it. Mass effect is also 20-30 hours.... It doesn;t have much in common with ubisoft games other then having moving towers. This game has very little in common with ubisoft games unless you think Ubisoft invented map markers and crafting. Ubisoft games don;t have 10 hours if dialog, dialog wheels or choices.People who have played it also say it is more like TW3 then any ubi game.

Uh... I don't think so lol. Impressions suggest the side quests are dynamic and similar to TW3

Go to the media outlets and youtube. Many people are calling it "a Ubisoft game".

I don't think Engadget is an outlet that really sets the trend for reviews in general. Their bread and butter is hardware not software. This means very little in determining what the overall score will be.

This may be true now, but Jess Condit used to work for Joystiq, which was rolled into Engadget, though the video game coverage is obviously a shell of its former self.

I can see reviews beating Zelda, with it being its first different the the usual formula.

Sales? I think Zelda will sell more in the long run. Good news is, looks like we got two great games coming, but bad news is there so close to each other. Times like these I wish I were a kid again.

LOL you tube. What media outlets? I'll defer to people who have played it.

I have seen some people say "You know, like towers in an Ubisoft game" and "Kinda like the outposts in Far-Cry" when describing things in the previews but never heard it outright called an Ubisoft game.

Skux

Wait so the reviewer couldn't make it through DA, The Witcher or Skyrim?

Review 100% null and void to me
Now

Well it's not an "RPG-RPG", it's an action-RPG. Closer cousins for comparison would be Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect, which have much more focus on action gameplay than game systems.

I can see reviews beating Zelda, with it being its first different the the usual formula.

Sales? I think Zelda will sell more in the long run. Good news is, looks like we got two great games coming, but bad news is there so close to each other. Times like these I wish I were a kid again.

Does Zelda even sell that much? Isn't it on massive decline?

Also I'm glad the review didn't have a score and people now have to read it :p

Well it's not an "RPG-RPG", it's an action-RPG. Closer cousins for comparison would be Watch Dogs, Far Cry, Tomb Raider and Mass Effect, which have much more focus on action gameplay than game systems.

The Witcher is an action RPG....It is not like Tomb raider/Far cry/Watch dogs neither of which are RPG's.

ShdwDrake

Banned
LOL you tube. What media outlets? I'll defer to people who have played it. I think you have been listening to the wrong people.

Its not about the people that I've listened too. Its about impressions. And most people get their impressions from Youtube (Easy Allies, Giantbomb, etc are all on youtube).

And how is people that played the game "the wrong people" thats a stupid statement.

xabbott

I should have said. I didn't mean it in a negative, I like a lot of Ubisoft open world games. I skipped a ton of the AC titles only because I was a little bored of that universe but loved Far Cry 3 and Watchdogs 2. Those have missions and side missions that allow you to tackle them the way you want. I feel they do it much better than say Fallout 4. If someone told me Horizon was more like Fallout 4 or Dragon Age Inquisition I would find it much less appealing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really enjoyed that review. It was a good example of the relationship between the game and the reviewer instead of a buyer's guide.

Its not about the people that I've listened too. Its about impressions. And most people get their impressions from Youtube (Easy Allies, Giantbomb, etc are all on youtube).

And how is people that played the game "the wrong people" thats a stupid statement.

LIke? Examples? I mean there are people who have the game early and say it's more like TW3, not people who played just a verticle slice and mentioned ubisoft because it has towers....This game has more in common with RPG's then Far Cry/ubisoft games. This review only further shows that.

Stiler

That review was glowing. Deadly.

This makes no sense, it is still open and you can wander and explore in nay direction.

No it makes perfect sense.

It sounds to me like the Mafia Games (1 and 2 at least, not 3).

In Mafia, unlike the GTA games, they were focused on telling a good but linear narrative, they didn't fill the world with a bunch of side-stories galore and keep you going off-track.

Mafia I and 2 were set in an open world but it's narrative was linear and pulled you into the story. The story in Mafia I was 10 fold better then the GTA games because of this.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny, without an review score, you would think that they would just add a "P" in front of "review" and make a few edits to solve the problem as opposed to removing the article completely.

Well then in fairness and solidarity to Conditt, I will also ignore your written review for this game.

Isn't it possible to like both types of games? Not gonna knock your tastes because it's what you like, but do you know enjoy games like Horizon where maybe it's not as involved in its RPG systems?

Zasa

Hmm, what a glowing review for a Ubisoft game
/s

But seriously, take my pre-order money GG, most anticipated game behind Andromeda. Also, please no more mediocre Killzone games.

No it makes perfect sense.

It sounds to me like the Mafia Games (1 and 2 at least, not 3).

In Mafia, unlike the GTA games, they were focused on telling a good but linear narrative, they didn't fill the world with a bunch of side-stories galore and keep you going off-track.

Mafia I and 2 were set in an open world but it's narrative was linear and pulled you into the story. The story in Mafia I was 10 fold better then the GTA games because of this.

Horizon has a great open world full of exploration, so it's nothing like Mafia were the world is just there. This game eve has dungeons. This game has a lot of side stuff.....

I'm generally drawn to experiences I can play in bursts, like League of Legends, TowerFall, Neko Atsume or Overwatch, and I've never been tempted to play all the way through massive, open-world role-playing games like Dragon Age, Skyrim or The Witcher. I see the appeal of these series -- I'm a nut for the fantasy and sci-fi genres in general -- but they never hold my attention for long.

And, I no longer care for their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom