• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Horizon review [Engadget]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A random aside: there's something really cool reading about someone finding their gateway game into a genre. XCOM Enemy Unknown was my first turn based game, Demon's Souls my first action RPG, Elite Dangerous my first space sim, Company of Heroes my first RTS.

I know that feeling expressed in the review very well. It's like suddenly being aware of an entire new dimension, a itch you never knew existed now being scratched.

Horizon has a great open world full of exploration, so it's nothing like Mafia were the world is just there. This game eve has dungeons. This game has a lot of side stuff.....
It's in the same vein. Many impressions in the other thread say how the story informs the world and the world informs the story, it's a tight narrative-driven cycle while also still being an open world with side quests and dungeons

WadeitOut

Isn't it possible to like both types of games? Not gonna knock your tastes because it's what you like, but do you know enjoy games like Horizon where maybe it's not as involved in its RPG systems?

No idea what you are talking about. I have the collectors edition of Horizon preordered from Amazon. I like both types of games. I think you completely misread what you're quoting.

My point was that if someone tells me they like Fast and Furious movies I don't care what they have to say about Paterson.

ShdwDrake

Banned
LIke? Examples?

Easy Allies, Kinda Funny, Polygon, IGN, random youtubers that got to play I started to just link my history but its too much.

Edit: I can put some quotes here since you can't google "Horizon: Zero Dawn Ubisoft".

"It is also a vast, open-world adventure that feels on par with the types of games Ubisoft has been making and refining over a decadelong period."

"It reminds me a bit of Ubisoft's Far Cry Primal as well, though this looks better than that game."

Im not saying "hurr hurrr hurr its a Ubi game. But it gets compared ALL the time.

No idea what you are talking about. I have the collectors edition of Horizon preordered from Amazon. I like both types of games. I think you completely misread what you're quoting.

My point was that if someone tells me they like Fast and Furious movies I don't care what they have to say about Paterson.

Oh I got you, my mistake, a bit tired today.

And, I no longer care for their opinion.
This is ridiculous. If someone never could get into turn based games or cRPGs but then XCOM and Divinity were the games that hooked them in a way that no other games had ever done before and got them into the genres, are their opinions suddenly worthless?

If anything, those kinds of impressions say more about a game than those by someone who's played every game in a genre

Raylan

Banned
'Horizon Zero Dawn' made me fall in love with open-world RPGs

There's something about Aloy. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's an enchanting kind of magic in the way she shoots a bow, speaks her mind and sprints across vast valleys littered with monstrous metal beasts. Aloy is powerful and loyal, an underdog outcast who rises to glory on an epic scale, and it's impossible to not root for her. She's as clever as Hermione Granger, as tough as Lara Croft and better with a bow than Katniss Everdeen -- and she's the reason I fell in love with Horizon Zero Dawn..
df640e-1487394218.gif

This is ridiculous. If someone never could get into turn based games or cRPGs but then XCOM and Divinity were the games that hooked them in a way that no other games had ever done before and got them into the genres, are their opinions suddenly worthless?

If anything, those kinds of impressions say more about a game than those by someone who's played every game in a genre

Yep, but it lets people dismiss an opinion they don't want to agree with, I expect more of this in the review thread.

A random aside: there's something really cool reading about someone finding their gateway game into a genre. XCOM Enemy Unknown was my first turn based game, Demon's Souls my first action RPG, Elite Dangerous my first space sim, Company of Heroes my first RTS.

I know that feeling expressed in the review very well. It's like suddenly being aware of an entire new dimension, a itch you never knew existed now being scratched.

It's in the same vein. Many impressions in the other thread say how the story informs the world and the world informs the story, it's a tight narrative-driven cycle while also still being an open world with side quests and dungeons
Yep, Bloodborne gave me the same first time experience. It was wonderful.

Floody

My only real worry was the story and side content and based on this and the early copy impressions thread they seem to be pretty damn good. Based on everything I've seen, heard and the very little I played, it's gonna be a pretty excellent game me thinks.

ShdwDrake

Banned
None of them said it's like a ubisoft game....they said it has some similarities that's it, so does every other open world game.

Yeah they said "It reminds them of a Ubisoft game" or its "structured like a Ubisoft game". Not that it is a ubisoft game. The game is made by Guerilla.

So can the crows be served now or is it too early since its just one review and we can discredit her opinion for not liking other open world RPGs that I like?

TwiztidElf

How can this and Zelda launch within three days of each other? It's like the awesome gods are fighting for our attention.

Yeah they said "It reminds them of a Ubisoft game" or its "structured like a Ubisoft game". Not that it is a ubisoft game. The game is made by Guerilla.
Witcher 3 is structured like a Ubisoft game. There are special spots that unlock points of interests around the map, resources to collect so you can craft, places to clear so the locals can take it back, etc.

State of Decay too. That game even has towers and high spots where you can mark points of interest. And light RPG elements, and crafting, and stealth kills

The elements of a Ubisoft game are the elements of the open world game. Ubisoft just does them worse than other games

jdstorm

Banned
That review was glowing. Deadly.

This makes no sense, it is still open and you can wander and explore in nay direction.

While im sure you can wander in any direction and there will likely be a few hidden secrets. It seems like the Narative direction will continually push the player forward in a singular direction.

This narative momentum is usually more common in action games rather then RPGs that typically meander at a slower pace and let the player complete a series of paralell objectives at their leasure, until enough are completed to unlock the next segment jump.

How can this and Zelda launch within three days of each other? It's like the awesome gods are fighting for our attention.

Its almost as if Sony planned this to keep mindshare against the Switch's launch

Floody

This year so far has been that, constantly good-great games releasing that I'm just overwhelmed, already gave up on getting to my late 2016 backlog. Horizon, Zelda and Mass Effect are going to probably make me do the same with this years offering or at least put them off for months.

Its almost as if Sony planned this to keep mindshare against the Switch's launch

Well Sony had its launch date first. Zelda didn't get one till this year. Honestly, I don't believe these two games are going to hurt each other at all in sales and whatnot.

Ppl call it a far cry game with dinos like it's a bad thing. The far cry games are pretty good tbh.

The issue is people are using the "Ubisoft, Farcry" talk as a way to downplay it. Sure it has some similarities, but it really is more an RPG. I mean Far cry never invented crafting... I mean far cry does not have any dialog or dialog wheels for instance like Horizon does. 10 hours worth, with choices.

Permanently A

There are "some people" out there who want this game to fail hard. For whatever (Z) reason.....
So in the end, crow will be served. Let's see what happens in a few days (review embargo ends on monday, right?).

I can see the gameplay complaint possibly having merit, but literally everyone is saying the narrative is surprisingly good. Crow will be served alright.

Loudninja

While im sure you can wander in any direction and there will likely be a few hidden secrets. It seems like the Narative direction will continually push the player forward in a singular direction.

This narative momentum is usually more common in action games rather then RPGs that typically meander at a slower pace and let the player complete a series of paralell objectives at their leasure, until enough are completed to unlock the next segment jump.

The game had it release date since June
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1228925

Skux

Sounds fantastic. Yes there are elements of other games here. Of course there are. No game exists in a vacuum. But for the reviewer at least, they're put together in a way that's grabbed her. If she never played open world RPGs before and found that Horizon clicked with her, then it must be doing something refreshing and unique compared to all the Witchers and Far Crys and Tomb Raiders out there.

Maybe it's Aloy and her characterisation. Maybe it's the beautiful environments. Maybe it's the bow gameplay that shares both shooter and RPG elements. Maybe it's the robot dinos.

Maybe it's everything that has been done before, put together in a way that's never been done before.

The Horizon date was announced in fucking June. There's absolutely no way they could have known then that the Switch was launching 3 days later. Sure, maybe they planned it because they knew the Switch was in March, but even then that's a bit of a stretch.

Kin5290

I have never finished TW3. I stopped playing around Skellige for travel and never picked it up. I still love the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom