• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Final Fantasy XVs avatar creation system, will be used in multiplayer

Black Desert-quality character creator pleasee.

ob_4ea9f3_669751476692095043.gif
Whoa what game is this???
I'd rather they focus important things. It seems super bizarre to introduce this into a game that was all hyped for single player story.
Yet somehow I feel like that wouldn't be enough for some of you either.

Also one man's trash is... well you get the point.

Whoa what game is this???

Yet somehow I feel like that wouldn't be enough for some of you either.

They say the character creation system is good in that game, but you can only make skinny women, so I dunno.

If FFXV's avatar system means I can make the protagonists all black, then I'm for it. It's about damn time.

If it works for countless Western RPGs and for Dragon's Dogma (and a host of other JRPGs), Why are you hell bent against CC coming to FF?

I think it's fair to say that a big part of Final Fantasy stories are their protagonists and it gives them more of an identity. Character creation dilutes this, I think. Having an identifiable and unique protagonist in Final Fantasy is important to me and I'd imagine many others. When you think of say Final Fantasy VII, you're likely to immediately get images of Cloud in your head. Now imagine if that character were just a generic whatever from a character creator instead of the icon he became.

It's fine in online RPG's. That makes perfect sense. But I've found every RPG where I've had to make a character ends up in me just not having a bit of a damn connection to them. I'd rather have a more solid, creative protagonist than Brandon Strife. I love Mass Effect, but Shepard is boring as fuck. I like Fallout and Elder Scrolls, but there's nothing to say about the main character because they're not characters, they're just there, observing, doing a thing without a voice or personality.

I think it's obvious by now that they want to turn FF XV into a games as service title. they already had content planned for 1 year, and hope to keep making content for years to come.

OmegaDL50

Proposal: They plan for their next game to have a character creator and feel like building the feature now.

I can only see this properly implemented if they use something like FF1 or FF3 with the blank slate template four characters you create and assign specific classes.

FF1's party creation could very well be expanded as a create-a-character function for a modern era FF.

It's not implausible.

Squire

Banned
I think it's very likely FFXVI adopts XIVs aesthetics and does feature a custom MC in a bid to chase that Skyrim/Dragone Age money.

I'm not opposed to that ok paper - I might even be into it as a huge DA stan - but SE hasn't shown the strength of story/character writing to carry a game like that in many years. XIII and XV have such awful, barely-even-conveyed narratives. If they don't get their act together, this style of game would only exacerbate their current issues. In their current form, they're Morley likely to pick up the bad habits of WRPGs than the good one.

I think it's obvious by now that they want to turn FF XV into a games as service title. they already had content planned for 1 year, and hope to keep making content for years to come.

Yeah, I said the same thing in a previous thread. The problem is it's not, no one thinks it is, and they can't just graft that perception on to it months after launch.

I really like the general idea of service games and the few specific examples I play regularly, but you have to create that perception on day one. That needs to be in the pitch. They sold XV as the polar opposite of the spectrum: A AAA holiday release that most people will buy before January, probably not finish, and ultimately trade in to get something else.

They can throw as many staff and features at it as they want. No one is going to care about their "fixes" for Chapter XIII of the game in late March after the Switch and Mass Effect are out. They still won't care a few months later when Stormblood is out for FFXIV and Zodiac Age releases weeks after that - and those are releases from the home team.

It's over. It's done. But hey, maybe their expectations are in check and yeah, these are really just testbed operations they know they can do because the game has largely already gotten the vast majority of traction it's going to get, and the players that are still watching are probably into the game to the point that they'll be largely receptive to at least trying whatever Tabata cooks up.

benzy

They say the character creation system is good in that game, but you can only make skinny women, so I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGYEVIfI0Bg&t=15m14s

I can only see this properly implemented if they use something like FF1 or FF3 with the blank slate template four characters you create and assign specific classes.

FF1's party creation could very well be expanded as a create-a-character function for a modern era FF.

It's not implausible.

This is more like testing grounds for Tabata's new IP rather than for a new mainline Final Fantasy.

Arkeband

Banned
I think it's fair to say that a big part of Final Fantasy stories are their protagonists and it gives them more of an identity. Character creation dilutes this, I think. Having an identifiable and unique protagonist in Final Fantasy is important to me and I'd imagine many others. When you think of say Final Fantasy VII, you're likely to immediately get images of Cloud in your head. Now imagine if that character were just a generic whatever from a character creator instead of the icon he became.

It's fine in online RPG's. That makes perfect sense. But I've found every RPG where I've had to make a character ends up in me just not having a bit of a damn connection to them. I'd rather have a more solid, creative protagonist than Brandon Strife. I love Mass Effect, but Shepard is boring as fuck. I like Fallout and Elder Scrolls, but there's nothing to say about the main character because they're not characters, they're just there, observing, doing a thing without a voice or personality.

"coming soon to Dissidia, the protagonist of FF16...!"

a3b7b3b4e990912b1659d688e442a0968161f880_hq.jpg

FFXV-GAF: "omg sick!!!"

120v

if this means a bigger world, more dungeons... i'm all for it

wish people would wait and see before screaming about it

tuxfool

Banned
Black Desert-quality character creator pleasee.

ob_4ea9f3_669751476692095043.gif

One thing that should noted: The more complicated and more bones available to edit, the harder it is to animate a face without completely breaking it, or turning it into some hideous monstrosity.

Yeah it looks pretty in static screenshots, but the technical deficit is immediately apparent as soon as it is animated.

One thing that should noted: The more complicated and more bones available to edit, the harder it is to animate a face without completely breaking it, or turning it into some hideous monstrosity.

Yeah it looks pretty in static screenshots, but the technical deficit is immediately apparent as soon as it is animated.
I just think that even if we had that level of character creation without making it look cringy, I wouldn't go that deep into it since I can get super picky on stuff like that. So in a way I'm kinda glad that it's most certainly not gonna be that detailed?

tuxfool

Banned
I just think that even if we had that level of character creation without making it look cringy, I wouldn't go that deep into it since I can get super picky on stuff like that. So in a way I'm kinda glad that it's most certainly not gonna be that detailed?

Ultimately it doesn't matter how much you personally customize, the quality of the facial puppet is governed by its complexity. So for example they would simplify mouth animations so that it works better for a wider range of mouth shapes.

I mean, people have issues with Bioware animation. Ultimately that is the kind of price you pay for customizability. I'm sure part of it is because Bioware isn't good at it, but another part is due to the complexity in dealing with non-static face rigs.

You know, I wouldn't mind a Final Fantasy game with a customized character. Not a main character, but perhaps a deutagonist. Maybe take a page out of Fire Emblem: Awakening and have set main characters with a customizable character as a support that's also a spanner in the works.

Like Vaan really could have been a custom character, with being the entry-point character to the setting that quickly lost focused against Basch, Ashe, and Balthier. If he was a character I spent time making, I would be more okay with him being a character in the roster than just taking up space.

You can still have characters with a sense of personality even with character creators. I wouldn't mind if FFXVI used a character creator for the mc

Playing this with others online will be so jolly.
Gotta keep the positivity going! Especially in XV threads.
Ultimately it doesn't matter how much you personally customize, the quality of the facial puppet is governed by its complexity. So for example they would simplify mouth animations so that it works better for a wider range of mouth shapes.

I mean, people have issues with Bioware animation. Ultimately that is the kind of price you pay for customizability. I'm sure part of it is because Bioware isn't good at it, but another part is due to the complexity in dealing with non-static face rigs.
That makes sense. Bioware does have some issues with character customization that I'm hoping doesn't happen in Andromeda.

Just give me SCV character creation with way more freedom please.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I wouldn't mind this if the main game didn't have the issues it does.

Kyzer

Banned
I wouldn't mind this if the main game didn't have the issues it does.

Same. I wonder how effective rollouts will be of DLC and stuff like added multiplayer, and if the game will have the legs to support it. This all seems really weird to me.

lumi7890

STOP THIS MADNESS SQUARE

Nobody asked for this. NOT A SINGLE PERSON.

What the fuck are you doing?!?!?

Work on FF15-2 or on FF16 for fuck's sake........... Jesus Christ......... what. are. you. doing. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?
trying to make as much money as they can from this game?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Only if we get
Older Iris and
Older Cindy

But I really really hope we get the character you mentioned.

They're fixing some of the issues though. Hopefully enough.

People keep saying this but so far they've only really committed to some scenes in Chapter 13. That's the least of the game's narrative issues - most of which start at its very foundation.

Can you explain why that's obvious? I'm not being an asshole, genuinely don't get it.
Purely just speculation but it would make sense given the amount of
daemons around and how the hunters played a big part in keeping the world safe and why customization is being brought into it essentially make your own hunter

Man do ppl even really care..

Squire

Banned
People keep saying this but so far they've only really committed to some scenes in Chapter 13. That's the least of the game's narrative issues - most of which start at its very foundation.

There are no feasible updates that will make this a good story.

Trying to fix the narrative issues is too little, too late. Ideally your game at release ought to properly tell the story as the player is first going through it, so revelations, impacts of plot beats and payoffs of build-ups feel organic and earned. Retroactive attempts to flesh out some of the largely absent characters with new scenes is tantamount to putting a plaster strip over a gaping shotgun wound at this point.

At least with this MMO-like update, as weird a direction to take as I find this to be, it's chiefly to ensure gameplay longevity and hopefully to expand the existing gameplay loop, so I suppose that's always worth the effort. Unlike futile attempts to try and salvage the narrative.

Purely just speculation but it would make sense given the amount of
daemons around and how the hunters played a big part in keeping the world safe and why customization is being brought into it essentially make your own hunter

That makes sense. It would be kinda depressing though since
it would always be dark. I could definitely imagine you being a member of the hunters guild though, that makes 100% sense.

Hmm good point. Well, I'll look forward to it. We really can't be expecting an entire overhaul of the story (which I personally don't have a problem with the story in general) so I'm going to look into the technical stuff.

I have problems with other stories in other games but I know others enjoy them. Not going to go on a vendetta.

I could do with a different ending though.

No some kinda don't. See some of the comments close to yours.

That makes sense. It would be kinda depressing though since
it would always be dark. I could definitely imagine you being a member of the hunters guild though, that makes 100% sense.
I wonder if it'll be a run around the open world type deal at all tho. That's seems like an an incredible undertaking. I was expecting an arena or a feature at the coliseum.

Kyari

Can you explain why that's obvious? I'm not being an asshole, genuinely don't get it.

Snippets of interviews with people working on the game indicated that far more concept art for this section of the game, including towns and characters, were drawn up and then not used in the game's current state.

VariantX

It's obvious that the multiplayer will be playing as hunters in
the World of Ruin during the time skip.

Shit, hope we can at least make female characters in the avatar creator. Though I would expect them to have to make female versions of nearly every animation on offer for it to look right.

I wonder if it'll be a run around the open world type deal at all tho. That's seems like an an incredible undertaking. I was expecting an arena or a feature at the coliseum.

if they're planning to make it as service games, it make sense to go all out. once it start running, they can keep adding stuff like new bosses, new weapons/armor, new dungeons, and if this is a success, they can basically treat it like mmo and add new area expansion etc. in the context of FF XV world, the places we can explore in the single player story is not that big, so many places they can add like maybe new area outside altisia for example.

Create-a-character does not belong in single-player FF's, I will never stop bitching if they do this.

Yeah. I'm not really a fan of it, especially in my JRPGs where I want them to tell me their story, not write around a protagonist that barely interacts with the narrative and character growth.

Proposal: They plan for their next game to have a character creator and feel like building the feature now.

Man, I hope not.

Was one of my least favorite parts of Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I still liked but could have been great. Elma should have been the MC. Also contributed to giving it the most unfocused story in a Takahashi game so far (also killed White Knight Chronicles) which had previously always been a huge strength. I don't like when JRPGs have to write around this type of character. When given a choice I much prefer a distinct character that can actually take part in their story in the character party interactions.

Top Bottom