• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at Final Fantasy XVs avatar creation system, will be used in multiplayer

Gambit

I wonder if we can make these characters, lol
2914724-ff4.jpg

why do they all have red soles?

the real question is: why am I immediately infatuated with girl Ignis?

Yes, Mam.

EDIT: not really top of the page-worthy..., sorry

I hope the character creator will be as elaborate as the FFXIV one, though I normally much prefer fixed characters.

timmyp53

Seems cool. I'm all for it. Will start my copy of the game after all the main patches release. When is the story adjustment patch coming out?

UberTag

this is so fucking awful, the pandering to western expectations and tastes are coming at the cost at destroying FF's identity. Genuinely bummed about this grab for Elder Scrolls fans, and GTA fans who think it would have made sense to drive the regalia off the cliff and crash the cars into NPCs. Tabata, you're great man but learn to filter out the garbage requests from western gamers, not all feedback is gold
They're going to continue crowd-sourcing Western gamers for Final Fantasy until it resembles every generic Ubisoft title.

the real question is: why am I immediately infatuated with girl Ignis?

Yes, Mam.

EDIT: not really top of the page-worthy..., sorry

I hope the character creator will be as elaborate as the FFXIV one, though I normally much prefer fixed characters.

Lady Ignis is great, Lady Prompto is not bad, Lady Gladio is also not bad but would be better with only one side of her head shaved IMO (and easing up on the constipated facial expression, it looked stupid on Gentleman Gladio)...but Lady Noctis is terrible.

Ferr986

this is so fucking awful, the pandering to western expectations and tastes are coming at the cost at destroying FF's identity. Genuinely bummed about this grab for Elder Scrolls fans, and GTA fans who think it would have made sense to drive the regalia off the cliff and crash the cars into NPCs. Tabata, you're great man but learn to filter out the garbage requests from western gamers, not all feedback is gold

Is this a new GAF meme I missed?

Squire

Banned
Is this a new GAF meme I missed?

It might be a bit of an overreaction as nothing is set in stone, but there's not much that's meme-ish about it. I love a lot of western AAA games, but the field has greatly homogenized as certain design trends have just caught on. That hasn't really happened for Japan, largely because they've sort of struggled to really take to making modern AAA games at all.

I mean, as an example, look at how many common threads run through most open-world action games made in the last five years. Now look at how long it took a Japanese studio other than From Software to make an RPG in the Souls mold (as in Nioh) despite that series having proven its popularity and staying power years ago.

People feel like Japanese games have a sense of identity that western productions struggle to match or even establish at all. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some fans (I'll be nice and not say "weaboos") make it out to be, but I do think there's somewhat of a case to make and people are making it.

I found FFXV to largely be a bad imitation of western-made open-world games, so yeah, I think it apples here.

OmegaDL50

I liked to note some folks keep bringing up that FF's core is its narrative focus with it's characters having unique identities. Yet in the original FF all four of your generated class specific party members were effectively the opposite of this, in which the game's story and lore were world centric and not character centric.

The same could be applied to the original version of Final Fantasy III (i.e Onion Kids), which were given personalities but not actual individual characters. At least not until the DS remake which gave them actual identifiable personalities and names along with some minor interaction.

Let's not make the assumption FF cannot work without a story that isn't revolved around the characters or an actual identifiable cast. Because the very first game in the entire series did exactly this very thing.

A future FF game in which the story is more world driven focusing on events in the world itself rather than focusing on the character driven narrative. Yes this is a thing and isn't just some "Western" design sensibility.

Ferr986

It might be a bit of an overreaction as nothing is set in stone, but there's not much that's meme-ish about it. I love a lot of western AAA games, but the field has greatly homogenized as certain design trends have just caught on. That hasn't really happened for Japan, largely because they've sort of struggled to really take to making modern AAA games at all.

I mean, as an example, look at how many common threads run through most open-world action games made in the last five years. Now look at how long it took a Japanese studio other than From Software to make an RPG in the Souls mold (as in Nioh) despite that series having proven its popularity and staying power years ago.

People feel like Japanese games have a sense of identity that western productions struggle to match or even establish at all. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some fans (I'll be nice and not say "weaboos") make it out to be, but I do think there's somewhat of a case to make and people are making it.

I found FFXV to largely be a bad imitation of western-made open-world games, so yeah, I think it apples here.

Saying these kind of creating side optional modes are pandering to the west is stupid, especially when it's not the first japanese game that has character creation or cars. Let's not forget the game has a main set cast. All this doom and gloom for an optional mode with a character creator is extremely silly.

People that think that way is stuck in the early 90s so, every change for them is "western pandering" instead on natural evolution and experimentation with the genre.

Mythos

Didn't unerstand from the beginning why i would need something like this in a SP Game, i don't even use it in a MMORPG that much, cause you always see the person from behind and face is mostly covered in Gear. But good for peope who enjoy char creation, i guess.

I would've liked to see a new dungeon, bosses, then something like this, but well.

fvng

They're going to continue crowd-sourcing Western gamers for Final Fantasy until it resembles every generic Ubisoft title.

"Tabata give us first person mode!!"

Tabata: shucks fine, anything you want!

Tabata buckling to the whims of every whiny gamer is worse than releasing an unfinished game

LordKasual

Banned

You can't find a single Ubisoft game that looks anything like this game.

Hell you can't find another Japanese RPG that looks anything like this game.

"Tabata give us first person mode!!"

Tabata: shucks fine, anything you want!

Tabata buckling to the whims of every whiny gamer is worse than releasing an unfinished game

What, specifically, would you change about XV to make it a better game?

Key word, "specifically".

I feel as though i should stop wasting my time rebutting statements like these and use the opportunity to see what makes people say stuff like this lol

I'm more curious as to why they are doing this.

I feel like Square has other ideas in store. Could they be trying to attempt at a Destiny like game building off of Final Fantasy XV?

Or is this character crew to in just randomly thrown in because they had the assets to do it and thought it might be fun?

Or was it beneficial to make one so making NPC's would become easier?

The better question is, why not?

I mean seriously, why not? XV is a completed videogame by every sane reviewer's definition. Were it any other mainline Final Fantasy game (or JRPG in general), the benefits of owning the disc would end there.

I would be 100% fine with "Why not?" being the logic behind these updates and DLC plans....even though it's obvious they're using XV as an experimental testing ground. But as long as the majority of the development team is putting all their effort into whatever they do...there is really nothing to lose here.

People are pretty much just complaining for the sake of complaining, but i have yet to see anyone post a real negative to anything that is being done here. I haven't even seen someone try to stretch a negative out of nothing.

Top Bottom