• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Nintendo Switch accessories shows up on EBGames Aus. Includes USB-C cable.

Now if we're lucky it'll have one of those UFS microSD hybrid slots

Also will be important to know if this is type-C USB 2, type-C USB3.1 gen 1, or type-C USB3.1 gen 2

iN3krO

Neo Member
Considering Nintendo went with the long-obsolete USB Mini connector on the Wii U Pro Controller, I think people were right to be worried about that!

"obsolete" but much sturdier than the not so obsolete micro connector.

The micro USB was a huge mistake. At least the type c connector seems about right :)

-shadow-

Note that using a Type-C connector does not guarantee the Switch is using a USB 3+ port. The connector is separate from the port standard.

Having said that, with the Switch being based (at least initially) off the Tegra X1, that chipset HAS USB 3 support already. They'd have to go out of their way not to include it. My Pixel C (which uses an X1) supports it.

Curious if they're gonna support the USB Power Delivery specs for maximum charging speed. Exciting stuff.

If the tablet connects to the dock through just the port, would USB 3 be required for it to be able to both be able to connect two USB 2 ports and the HDMI feed? I know USB 2 supports a whole bunch of devices at once, but I don't actually know if you can combine that with a 1080p/60fpa feed at the same time.

Considering Nintendo went with the long-obsolete USB Mini connector on the Wii U Pro Controller, I think people were right to be worried about that!
I honestly prefer it above the micro USB cable Sony uses. They feel flimsy and the connection doesn't feel solid. It might not be used much these days, but still...

atbigelow

If the tablet connects to the dock through just the port, would USB 3 be required for it to be able to both be able to connect two USB 2 ports and the HDMI feed? I know USB 2 supports a whole bunch of devices at once, but I don't actually know if you can combine that with a 1080p/60fpa feed at the same time.

You can do a LOT with a fully powered USB 3.1 port. Look at the new MacBook Pros as an example; they are using Thunderbolt internally which acts as a superset of USB 3.1. Has a lot of bandwidth (40 Gbps). Even normal USB 3.1 has enough bandwidth to drive 1080p@60 FPS.

I don't know if there will be enough bandwidth to act as everything, though. When attached to the dock, you'd want it to act as a USB hub (rumors state the dock has 2 USB 2 and 1 USB 3 port), monitor (1080p@60), and to power+charge the unit itself. Thunderbolt 3 would definitely have that bandwidth, but I'm not expecting to see an Intel technology show up in an NVidia chipset.

I honestly prefer it above the micro USB cable Sony uses. They feel flimsy and the connection doesn't feel solid. It might not be used much these days, but still...

I bet with Scorpio and better, we'll see Type-C connectors on the controllers. Maybe the next PS iteration will have them as well. They kind of just barely missed the tech boat to use Type-C for the original DS4.

Why not? Wii U has two AC adapters inside the box, one for the console and one for the gamepad. Doesn't sound out of this planet if they includes one adapter for the dock and other to use on the go. In fact, IIRC, in the Switch teaser you can see at one point that Skyrim guy at the airport with the Switch and it seems to be charging in some outlet...

EDIT; thinking about it, the best solution would be to include one AC adapter for the dock that is always plugged, one USB-C cable to charge the Joy-Con grip and also a small AC adapter (like the one that comes with the iPhone) that in combination with the USB-C cable can be used to charge the main unit on the go. That would be convenient and cheap.

You can't charge on the console otherwise they wouldn't have included it.

ika

You can't charge on the console otherwise they wouldn't have included it.

I'm not sure that an AC adapter would be necessary for the gamepad, they could just make a USB cable that you connect to the Wii U to charge the gamepad like the PS4 controller. Even if that's somewhat not possible for technical reasons (I'm not an expert), my point was they included two AC adapters before, and they're cheap, so they can do it again.

But who knows... This is Nintendo, the company that don't include AC adapters in NES mini and some 3DS models so... :p

ggx2ac

Reposting this from one of the other threads seeing as people were wondering how the Switch is powered when docked.

It seems more likely that the dock has USB-C ports in the back and that it is arranged in a parallel circuit that changes to a series circuit to work with that one USB-C port on the Switch.

Cy8ypRZVIAEVhzK.jpg

As shown here there are two cables of the same thickness, it is very likely that one is a USB-C to HDMI cable and the other is a USB-C cable connected to a power supply.

Whether the USB-C ports are the 15W standard or the 100W standard, I don't know.

Just for charging the Switch and doing video output to the TV at the same time the 15W standard would be fine.

For reference:

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

USB-C Digital AV Multiport

The USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your MacBook with USB-C port or MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.
This adapter allows you to mirror your MacBook or MacBook Pro display to your HDMI-enabled TV or display in up to 1080p at 60Hz or UHD (3840x2160) at 30Hz. It also outputs video content like films and captured video. Simply connect the adapter to the USB-C port on your MacBook or any of the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports on your MacBook Pro and then to your TV or projector via an HDMI cable (sold separately).

As shown above, here is a product that can do do video output and make use of a USB-C charging cable at the same time using a multiport adapter connected to one USB-C port. This shows that USB-C can handle multiple electrical sources at once without overloading.

Cuburt

This is great news! Nintendo continues to surprise with this device, in seemingly non-Nintendo-like breaking from traditions, in a good way.

Terrell

Regarding have to: I've seen some people wondering if they'd use something else for the dock that would engage and disengage more easily than USB, so you could dock and undock without needing to do something like pull Switch and dock apart with different hands, or hold the dock down with part of the hand while loosening the Switch with the other.

It seems like the guiding pins that have been speculated as being in the dock will help alleviate this problem by keeping the insertion of the USB-C connector perfectly straight. It may also be some sort of recessed port that comes out when you place it on the guiding pins and inserting the Joycons disengages it. I just think it's hard to imagine a scenario where Nintendo doesn't make it work like they showed in the teaser: put in your JoyCons and it slides right out of the dock, with your grip never leaving the JoyCons themselves.

Looks like those pages have been removed now.

I guess it was a leak, rather than just a third party company trying to get their accessories out early.

Reposting this from one of the other threads seeing as people were wondering how the Switch is powered when docked.

It seems more likely that the dock has USB-C ports in the back and that it is arranged in a parallel circuit that changes to a series circuit to work with that one USB-C port on the Switch.

As shown here there are two cables of the same thickness, it is very likely that one is a USB-C to HDMI cable and the other is a USB-C cable connected to a power supply.

Whether the USB-C ports are the 15W standard or the 100W standard, I don't know.

Just for charging the Switch and doing video output to the TV at the same time the 15W standard would be fine.

For reference:

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

USB-C Digital AV Multiport

As shown above, here is a product that can do do video output and make use of a USB-C charging cable at the same time using a multiport adapter connected to one USB-C port. This shows that USB-C can handle multiple electrical sources at once without overloading.

I doubt the mains cord will be usb, it could be but I think they'll just use something like the Wii & Wii U had, and the leaked NX debug kit or whatever it was has one of those ports.

I think the system will come with a short usb a to c lead which will recharge the joycon grip and double as a remote charger for the tablet. Leaving the dock mains cable for the dock and it helps the simple docking action without encouraging people to fiddle about with mains cables.

"obsolete" but much sturdier than the not so obsolete micro connector.

The micro USB was a huge mistake. At least the type c connector seems about right :)

The micro connector isn't perfect, but it crucially shifts the point of failure from the socket to the cable, so when it wears out, you can just replace the cable instead of buying a new controller (or reaching for the soldering iron to replace the socket).

I will say that the unparalleled battery life of the Pro controller mitigates this somewhat, as you don't have to plug it in all that often, but it was still a needlessly poor decision from Nintendo in my opinion.

I knew we were due for a leak lol.

I actually prefer this kind of leak over a software leak. Leave some surprises for January, okay people??

I doubt the mains cord will be usb, it could be but I think they'll just use something like the Wii & Wii U had, and the leaked NX debug kit or whatever it was has one of those ports.

I think the system will come with a short usb c lead which will recharge the joycon grip and double as a remote charger for the tablet. Leaving the dock mains cable for the dock and it helps the simple docking action without encouraging people to fiddle about with mains cables.

That's a good point that they'd want to cause as little confusion with the various cords as possible. The joycon grip will need a charging cable so it would really make sense to use a USB-C for both.

It's interesting that so far the only way to charge the joycons that we can see is through the grip or the tablet itself. That seems to discourage using them in a split scheme like 2 wiimotes.

Why? Unless your play sessions last longer than the battery life?

Well assuming they have motion controls like Wii motion +, and this "next gen" rumble rumored by Laura, and when you consider their small sizes, I can't imagine they have a very good battery life. I'm thinking somewhere around 10 hours.

While that certainly is longer than most play sessions, since there's no (apparent) way to simply replace the batteries or charge them instantly, you're out of luck if they are low on charge and you want to sit down for a split control play session.

It's interesting that so far the only way to charge the joycons that we can see is through the grip or the tablet itself. That seems to discourage using them in a split scheme like 2 wiimotes.

That's a really good point! I can't imagine Nintendo would want players to use a Wii-remote + nunchuck setup on Switch in which they could lose functionality if the controllers die.

Based on this information, here are my thoughts for the control methods we should see on the Switch.

"Handheld" Mode:
- connected joy-con controllers offer gyro controls, supplemented by input on the touch screen.
- Disconnected joy-con controllers offer gyro controls, supplemented by IR-pointer input to simulate touch

"Home" mode:
- Disconnected joy-con controllers (both seperated and docked in the Grip) offer gyro controls, supplemented by IR-pointer input to simulate touch

What are your thoughts?

Well assuming they have motion controls like Wii motion +, and this "next gen" rumble rumored by Laura, and when you consider their small sizes, I can't imagine they have a very good battery life. I'm thinking somewhere around 10 hours.

While that certainly is longer than most play sessions, since there's no (apparent) way to simply replace the batteries or charge them instantly, you're out of luck if they are low on charge and you want to sit down for a split control play session.

The solution is to sell you a back up pair ;)

That's a really good point! I can't imagine Nintendo would want players to use a Wii-remote + nunchuck setup on Switch in which they could lose functionality if the controllers die.

Based on this information, here are my thoughts for the control methods we should see on the Switch.

"Handheld" Mode:
- connected joy-con controllers offer gyro controls, supplemented by input on the touch screen.
- Disconnected joy-con controllers offer gyro controls, supplemented by IR-pointer input to simulate touch

"Home" mode:
- Disconnected joy-con controllers (both seperated and docked in the Grip) offer gyro controls, supplemented by IR-pointer input to simulate touch

What are your thoughts?

Yeah that seems pretty likely. I don't think you'd be able to use the IR very well when the joycons are connected to the grip but other than that it seems right.

It's just a bit weird that there's no other way to charge the joycons (that we know of). What if you're playing Just Dance, which likely requires using the joycons in a split control scheme, and one or both batteries die? You can't continue playing that game since you have to connect them to the grip or tablet to charge them.

A good solution would be if there is a removable battery but nothing we've seen has suggested that so far.

Maybe the gimmick this time is Nintendo has perfected wireless power transfer!! /s

The solution is to sell you a back up pair ;)

Yep, that does sound a bit like Nintendo.

Yeah that seems pretty likely. I don't think you'd be able to use the IR very well when the joycons are connected to the grip but other than that it seems right.

It's just a bit weird that there's no other way to charge the joycons (that we know of). What if you're playing Just Dance, which likely requires using the joycons in a split control scheme, and one or both batteries die? You can't continue playing that game since you have to connect them to the grip or tablet to charge them.

A good solution would be if there is a removable battery but nothing we've seen has suggested that so far.

Maybe the gimmick this time is Nintendo has perfected wireless power transfer!! /s

In the case of Just Dance, they primarily advertise the newer entries as being playable via a downloadable smartphone app. Alternatively, the games seem to support things like Kinect and PS Move, but Ubisoft seems to push the app front and center. I think that's their way around the limitations we've listed above.

USB-C for Switch as good as confirmed.
...not really, since the third party manufacturers making this (hoping to jump the gun on the announcement to be first out of the gate) might be making all sorts of assumptions.

In the case of Just Dance, they primarily advertise the newer entries as being playable via a downloadable smartphone app. Alternatively, the games seem to support things like Kinect and PS Move, but Ubisoft seems to push the app front and center. I think that's their way around the limitations we've listed above.

If that's their solution to that issue then I guess that works, but this essentially means you can't have any motion controlled games on the Switch (even Nintendo games) which rely on the full motion control from an individual joycon, since you'd come to the same problem.

If that's their stance then what's the point of including full wii motion + functionality in the joycons?

If that's their solution to that issue then I guess that works, but this essentially means you can't have any motion controlled games on the Switch (even Nintendo games) which rely on the full motion control from an individual joycon, since you'd come to the same problem.

If that's their stance then what's the point of including full wii motion + functionality in the joycons?

I wish we had more of an explanation on the Wii Motion Plus thing. I just re-read that article and it states that Switch will offer "basic" motion control similar to the Wii Motion Plus. When I think "basic" in relation to the Wii-remote, I'm thinking of the launch controller.

If I had to take a wild guess... I'd say the real "point" would be Wii and Wii-U virtual console games without "needing" a Wii Motion Plus remote. That functionality would still be available in some form for Switch games, but I don't think Nintendo wants to limit games to one control method.

It seems likely enough to me the joycons will be able to be charged separately, using whatever it connects to the main Switch with to instead connect to a charging cable. But that wouldn't really change the situation you describe, because nobody's going to want to play Just Dance with a joycon that's attached to a power cord.
I think the fact that the battery is just going to last long enough for most situations is going to be enough. I don't foresee a developer getting into the quandary of "We've got a great concept for a dual motion game... but it might be somewhat inconvenient if a person wants to play for 12 hours without rest!"

I wish we had more of an explanation on the Wii Motion Plus thing. I just re-read that article and it states that Switch will offer "basic" motion control similar to the Wii Motion Plus. When I think "basic" in relation to the Wii-remote, I'm thinking of the launch controller.
It says
the detachable NX controllers will support basic motion control, similar in fidelity to the Wii Remote Plus
which to me reads like the Wii Remote Plus rather than the launch controller, since that's what it says. I think the reason that's considered basic is to differentiate it from systems in use for Move/Vive/Touch that do more advanced camera tracking.

It says

which to me reads like the Wii Remote Plus rather than the launch controller, since that's what it says. I think the reason that's considered basic is to differentiate it from systems in use for Move/Vive/Touch that do more advanced camera tracking.

That definitely makes sense. It shows how out of touch I am when it comes to motion controls! I knew about Vive/Touch but I never really looked into how they worked and their overall accuracy.

I really hope a good quality glass screen protector comes to the Switch.

It's not glass, but there are a few companies like Zagg that will custom-cut and apply screen protectors for you. When I used to work at a tech store in a mall we had one right across from us. We sent people there pretty regularly and they always came back happy.

budpikmin

Did you know that cheap cables already exists... on almost every device.. including Nintendo...

USB-C is different though. USB-C cables are actually very complex as they transfer both power and data at the same time. For them to do this and regulate the power flow effectively they need to contain small chips. A cheap USB-C cable won't necessarily contain this chip and can damage your device. It's a problem currently happening to people buying cheap cables for their new USB-C phones. My advice is only use official cables with this thing.

Fun fact - Apple actually had to recall some of their own USB-C cables a while back because they were damaging Macbooks.

GriffinCorp

I really hope this is going to happen. USB-C is great new tech and I will be very happy if Nintendo pushes this. I think if it offers fast charging that would be incredible. I know the rumor is 3/4+ hours of battery life but this would help it out a lot for me. Gaming 3 hours on the road/outside isn't really my thing. But being able to charge in 15/30 minutes would be awesome for those long car rides/plane trips,etc.

KingV

USB-C is different though. USB-C cables are actually very complex as they transfer both power and data at the same time. For them to do this and regulate the power flow effectively they need to contain small chips. A cheap USB-C cable won't necessarily contain this chip and can damage your device. It's a problem currently happening to people buying cheap cables for their new USB-C phones. My advice is only use official cables with this thing.

Fun fact - Apple actually had to recall some of their own USB-C cables a while back because they were damaging Macbooks.

Genuine curiosity: how is this different from a regular old USB cable? I can charge and send data at the same time on a phone, controller, etc. Are those devices effectively switching modes between power and data transfer very quickly or something?

It's pretty pathetic that we have been conditioned to expect less from Nintendo. That's their track record though. Stupid design decisions and terrible hardware, maybe this is a sign of things finally changing for the better.

My expectations are super low though.

XenoRaven

I wish every company would make a revised USB-C controller. All of my micro USB chargers eventually wear and then just fall out of the controller, so I can't play and charge and I can't use them wired on my PC. Good to see Nintendo actually being slightly ahead of the curve.

budpikmin

Genuine curiosity: how is this different from a regular old USB cable? I can charge and send data at the same time on a phone, controller, etc. Are those devices effectively switching modes between power and data transfer very quickly or something?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe type c can deliver far more power, higher data speeds and can also be used for hd video and audio signals. I don't know how it's achieved though.

I dug this article up that explains the safety issues:
http://m.androidcentral.com/what-happens-next-usb-c?_ga=1.127509197.116747653.1477065442

Top Bottom