• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Nintendo Switch accessories shows up on EBGames Aus. Includes USB-C cable.

Nosgoroth

Best thing about this is that USB-C can be plugged in upside down too, so no more guessing. That and that I already have one
because Apple made me buy one to build apps for Apple TV 4.

I've used a power bank with my N3DS in the past, it was useful. It'll be nice to be able to do that with the Switch without having to resort to weird third-party nonstandard cables.

For charging on the go? I can't imagine the dock connects through USB-C.

What would it connect to then?

because you leave the dock by your television at home always, so you need something to charge with on the go

They're not going to include two different charging solutions in the box. It's just redundant and drives up costs. Also I doubt a lot of people are going to "charge on the go"

That's a very, very poor photoshop of the Switch in that case. Not that it can't be an official EBGames product, but why wouldn't Nintendo provide promotional material of their official merchandise?

I feel like it's reasonable to assume that third parties have the hardware specifications already so they can start designing, manufacturing and selling accessories, but Nintendo isn't distributing finalized hardware for promotional shots. Like, I don't doubt that the case exists and works with the Switch, they just don't have a real switch to show it off with.

They're not going to include two different charging solutions in the box. It's just redundant and drives up costs. Also I doubt a lot of people are going to "charge on the go"

Actually that'll be me maybe 85% of the time. Not really on the go too- it'll mostly be me on the couch or in bed with it plugged in.

And it might use the same cable for connecting the dock to the power supply, which will have to be included in the box. So yeah, there may not be two separate cables included.

I feel like it's reasonable to assume that third parties have the hardware specifications already so they can start designing, manufacturing and selling accessories, but Nintendo isn't distributing finalized hardware for promotional shots. Like, I don't doubt that the case exists and works with the Switch, they just don't have a real switch to show it off with.

Right, I initially assumed this was official Nintendo merchandise, when it's actually a third party accessory.

Spinluck

Thank god, no proprietary bullshit, or sorry ass micro USB. I cannot believe how long micro was the standard. Micro USB is a fucking piece of shit.

Terrell

Can't help but feel like Nvidia partnering with Ninty is one of the best things to happen. They must've been involved with this decision to some degree.
Seems more like a necessary design decision. If it has to transmit 1080p AV content and power from the single connection in the dock, then USB-C is the only possible choice aside from something proprietary. But why design a port when you clearly don't have to?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Well, the Tegra has support for quick charge at least. The Shield Tablet can be fast charged with a Quallcomm quick charger for example.
I get your point, but the Switch isn't a device from nVidia. That's up to Nintendo to decide if this functionality will be implemented or not. Of course I hope that it does support quick charging. My Nexus 6P does support quick charging and I can't go back to regular charging speeds.

budpikmin

Nintendo using modern tech is great news but USB-C is still in it's infancy and saftey standards aren't really in place yet. If the average consumer picks up a cheap cable they could quite easily break their device. Nintendo's repair service could be busy when this launches.

Considering Nintendo went with the long-obsolete USB Mini connector on the Wii U Pro Controller, I think people were right to be worried about that!

Nah, I was glad they went with USB mini. It was the standard game controller port at the time... it meant that the Wii U Pro Controller could charge using the same accessories I'd bought for my PS3 controllers.

Hylian7

Owning a Nexus 5X, I am VERY confident about the battery life on this thing, even if it sucks. While that says nothing about the battery itself, it charges damn fast. My phone can go from 0 to 100 in less than an hour, even on a power bank using less than half of it. (although my power bank is fairly large)

so it's already ahead of the OG 3DS

nice

I know right? It's pretty funny when people are all doom and gloom about the rumored battery life as if it's unprecedented...

Worst case scenario in that rumor is that the (overclocked) Switch (Devkit) has the same battery life as the regular 3DS.

The listing calls this an "extra-long" charging cable, so that at the very least implies that the Switch will come with a charging cable packed in.
Ehh. To me it just means a third party accessory manufacturer wants to use the best adjectives to make their long cable sound impressive.
Seems more like a necessary design decision. If it has to transmit 1080p AV content and power from the single connection in the dock, then USB-C is the only possible choice aside from something proprietary. But why design a port when you clearly don't have to?
Regarding have to: I've seen some people wondering if they'd use something else for the dock that would engage and disengage more easily than USB, so you could dock and undock without needing to do something like pull Switch and dock apart with different hands, or hold the dock down with part of the hand while loosening the Switch with the other.

Yeah... This happens all the time with new iPhone/Samsung Galaxy models. You'll see cases and accessories with dummy models before the phone is even announced publicly.

Actually that'll be me maybe 85% of the time. Not really on the go too- it'll mostly be me on the couch or in bed with it plugged in.

And it might use the same cable for connecting the dock to the power supply, which will have to be included in the box. So yeah, there may not be two separate cables included.

This seems like the most likely scenario!

jacksrb

For charging on the go? I can't imagine the dock connexts through USB-C.

According to a report on LetsPlayVideoGames, the dock uses the USB-C connector to charge and power the device while also carrying the video signal to the dock and eventually the TV.

Great move by Nintendo. I hated the fact that they used proprietary cables to charge the 3DS and Wii U gamepad (ended up buying 3rd party usb cables for them) so this is definitely a good thing.

ika

Why not? Wii U has two AC adapters inside the box, one for the console and one for the gamepad. Doesn't sound out of this planet if they includes one adapter for the dock and other to use on the go. In fact, IIRC, in the Switch teaser you can see at one point that Skyrim guy at the airport with the Switch and it seems to be charging in some outlet...

EDIT; thinking about it, the best solution would be to include one AC adapter for the dock that is always plugged, one USB-C cable to charge the Joy-Con grip and also a small AC adapter (like the one that comes with the iPhone) that in combination with the USB-C cable can be used to charge the main unit on the go. That would be convenient and cheap.

phanphare

Banned
I know right? It's pretty funny when people are all doom and gloom about the rumored battery life as if it's unprecedented...

Worst case scenario in that rumor is that the (overclocked) Switch (Devkit) has the same battery life as the regular 3DS.

I mean, I was half joking. glad it's more but the battery life of the OG 3DS was fucking awful. I would always dim the brightness, never use 3D, and turn off the wifi and still get around 3 hours per charge.

Nintendo using modern tech is great news but USB-C is still in it's infancy and saftey standards aren't really in place yet. If the average consumer picks up a cheap cable they could quite easily break their device. Nintendo's repair service could be busy when this launches.
Did you know that cheap cables already exists... on almost every device.. including Nintendo...

AzaK

You have it all wrong, it's for using your USB-C only macbook as a charger for the USB2.0 switch connector

Link is gone.

I mean, I was half joking. glad it's more but the battery life of the OG 3DS was fucking awful. I would always dim the brightness, never use 3D, and turn off the wifi and still get around 3 hours per charge.
That doesn't sound like a true statement unless your battery was defective. On mine, the 3 hours is what I get without taking the energy saving measures.

phanphare

Banned
That doesn't sound like a true statement unless your battery was defective. On mine, the 3 hours is what I get without taking the energy saving measures.

3-3.5 is what I got by doing that, it varied. I had an aqua blue og purchased close to when OoT3D came out.

Mah god. Nintendo suppporting a modern cable standard. Amazing times we live in. Now if that.usb-c can be put to good use and enable connection with a beefy external gpu in a dock for home gameplay that would be awesome.

3-3.5 is what I got by doing that, it varied. I had an aqua blue og purchased close to when OoT3D came out.

That sounds horrible, I got mine at launch. It's the sparkly black one... With the settings you listed, I can get around 5 hours. Everything on and the screen turned up drops me down to three...

I'd say you've have had a bad battery this whole time.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Is there any way the Switch doesn't have terrible battery life?

With fast charging and the expectation that you will use the dock a lot, It feels like Nintendo will spin it that battery life isn't a huge issue.

phanphare

Banned
That sounds horrible, I got mine at launch. It's the sparkly black one... With the settings you listed, I can get around 5 hours. Everything on and the screen turned up drops me down to three...

I'd say you've have had a bad battery this whole time.

I'd say that every OG 3DS had a bad battery, mine might have just been badder

atbigelow

Note that using a Type-C connector does not guarantee the Switch is using a USB 3+ port. The connector is separate from the port standard.

Having said that, with the Switch being based (at least initially) off the Tegra X1, that chipset HAS USB 3 support already. They'd have to go out of their way not to include it. My Pixel C (which uses an X1) supports it.

Curious if they're gonna support the USB Power Delivery specs for maximum charging speed. Exciting stuff.

I wonder if they will utilize the usb c as a video out as well? Gonna plug my nexus 6p into it to charge while out and about lol

Top Bottom