• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for Disney's Moana (dir. Ron Clements & John Musker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonkid

Glad, but not surprised, they did well. Definitely one to catch.
To this day I still can't get over Brave winning the Oscar over ParaNorman AND Wreck-it Ralph.

jimmy-mcnulty.gif
Bruh don't even get started on Oscars animation salt. Frozen beating Ernest et Celestine will always be a fresh wound :'(

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Wooooo! Glad to hear people like it! Hopefully I will, too.

In fact
Tangled
Winnie the Pooh
Wreck-It Ralph
Frozen
Big Hero 6
Zootopia

All I would consider as modern classics.

Ooo, I didn't dislike a single one of those. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. Winnie the Pooh was one of the biggest surprises for me. I'm certainly biased because I adore the character/IP, but I'm in love with that movie's script. So tight.

Well Princess and the Frog and Aladdin are my two favorite Disney movies... but Hercules was one of my least favorite. Hopefully this indicates that w0e41're getting their A game.

Edit: Brave deserved its Oscar, but man Kaguya and Wind Rises were totally robbed. Big Hero 6 was entirely forgettable.

Timbuktu

Edit: Brave deserved its Oscar, but man Kaguya and Wind Rises were totally robbed. Big Hero 6 was entirely forgettable.

Non of those were really that great IMO. Ghibli never quite got the level their 80s/90s output for me after the heights of Spirited Away. Brave's year was pretty weak overall, especially compared with this.

It looks like another slam dunk for king Disney, as expected. However, it's going to have to be something truly special to be better than Kubo and the Two Strings, aka the best movie of the whole year so far.

Goodstyle

I want this movie to be good and all, but I also want it to have a good villain. Can we do that Disney? Can we have a truly spectacular bad guy? Because we haven't had one since Dr. Facilier.

Brave winning anything is a disgrace.

Agreed. I've heard someone describe it perfectly once and I've been repeating it ever since: It's basically a movie length "How do I unwish this wish?" episode of Fairly Odd Parents.

Man Disney's had a really solid run since Tangled. Individual tastes vary but I think just about all their movies since then have been pretty well-received.

Can't wait to see this!

Debirudog

Well Princess and the Frog and Aladdin are my two favorite Disney movies... but Hercules was one of my least favorite. Hopefully this indicates that w0e41're getting their A game.

they made more classics than flops and Hercules was sort of a cash-film either way.

Debirudog

i don't think Disney has ever been a champion of live-action films (Unless you count Marvel but I don't really want to open that can of worms), so it's something I don't really expect them to do well.

Pete's Dragon was supposedly good though.

You want to talk about Disgrace for Oscars? It's the Lego Movie getting fuckall for a nomination while The BoxTrolls, Tale of Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea got nominations.

Either way, I'm happy to see that it's reviewing well, even though there have been some blunders(That Maui Costume was just.. all kinds of problematic)

RoyalFool

Banned
Remember those dark, dark days at Disney Animation?

It really is SO good to see Disney back in such a strong way and have a whole new generation fall in love with their films.

John Lasseter has done a sterling job, still can't get over that he's some random joe sweeping main street USA in my childhood holiday video, and now he's the head of Disney animation.

It feels like Disney will overtake Pixar on the metacritic score average at this rate, even with Chicken Little in the equation.

John Lasseter has done a sterling job, still can't get over that he's some random joe sweeping main street USA in my childhood holiday video, and now he's the head of Disney animation.

Uhh have you posted that video online?? That would probably do extremely well

He even offered a reward at one time if anyone had a picture of video of when he was a Jungle Cruise skipper.

You want to talk about Disgrace for Oscars? It's the Lego Movie getting fuckall for a nomination while The BoxTrolls, Tale of Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea got nominations.

Either way, I'm happy to see that it's reviewing well, even though there have been some blunders(That Maui Costume was just.. all kinds of problematic)

Are you saying the Lego Movie deserved a nomination over Kaguya, and Song of the Sea? I never saw The Boxtrolls so I have no comment on that.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Frozen, Wreck it Ralph, Big Hero 6, Zootopia, Moana...

Disney Animation Studios just keeps winning.

Are you saying the Lego Movie deserved a nomination over Kaguya, and Song of the Sea? I never saw The Boxtrolls so I have no comment on that.
Yes, I am. The Lego Movie does so much more then BoxTrolls does. I've watched Kaguya and I didn't enjoy it, and Song of the sea was worth a spot. The Lego Movie is probably one of the best animated films in recent years in terms of themes, narrative, animation, etc that also managed to overcome the stigma of being a toy movie in terms of quality.

My major issue is that The Academy treats animated films like a joke slot where they don't even watch half of the stuff that's on the ballot. They chose Brave over WIR/Paranorman ffs.

notworksafe

It really is SO good to see Disney back in such a strong way and have a whole new generation fall in love with their films.

This came out the same year as The Incredibles. Wouldn't exactly call that "dark days".

Garlador

This came out the same year as The Incredibles. Wouldn't exactly call that "dark days".

Disney Animation didn't make The Incredibles. Pixar did. Seperate studios. And Pixar's success and Disney Animation's failures almost resulted in Disney shutting down their own animation division entirely.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Yes, I am. The Lego Movie does so much more then BoxTrolls does. I've watched Kaguya and I didn't enjoy it, and Song of the sea was worth a spot. The Lego Movie is probably one of the best animated films in recent years in terms of themes, narrative, animation, etc that also managed to overcome the stigma of being a toy movie in terms of quality.

My major issue is that The Academy treats animated films like a joke slot where they don't even watch half of the stuff that's on the ballot. They chose Brave over WIR/Paranorman ffs.

Having watched all these recently, I agree that this is a travesty. Brave is fine and all - in that kinda sterile Pixar way - but WIR in particular is full of nuance, variety, and is incredibly well-acted. It's not quite Wasabe-trying-to-cut-a-circle-in-a-door-in-BH6 perfect, but it's pretty damned close.

I have the exact same issue you do with The Academy too. I never saw BoxTrolls so you could be right. The Lego Movie was a great movie, but IMO in no way is it better than Kaguya or Song of the South.

overcast

Awesome, thought the trailers looked good.

Still wouldn't say Disney animation has more than two potential classics in Tangled and Zootopia. Frozen and Wreck it Ralph are okay. Big Hero 6 is one of the most forgettable animated flicks I've seen in years.

Astral Dog

Still wouldn't say Disney animation has more than two potential classics in Tangled and Zootopia. Frozen and Wreck it Ralph are okay. Big Hero 6 is one of the most forgettable animated flicks I've seen in years.

BH6 had sooo much potential :(

i still liked it though

Frozen is definitely a classic.

Opinions are opinions, but The Lego Movie could never touch Kaguya for me. Kaguya is an emotional destroyer. It's a masterpiece about the plight of women. All The Lego Movie has to say is adults shouldn't be stubborn and let kids play.

JordanN

Banned

open-uri20150422-12561-1iqe79h_61b54914.jpeg

At least they were still making hand drawn animation back then.

So while their movies may be popular now, I kinda despise it came at the complete sacrifice of an art form.

Nice. Looking forward to it.

Did not like Wreckit Ralph. Just throwing that out there since I see many praise it so. Tangled is damn good though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom