• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for Disney's Moana (dir. Ron Clements & John Musker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
doesn't really sound like the movie is doing anything to stand out from the rest of the Disney animation output, though. I expect a solid crowd-pleaser that won't really be talked about much in the years to come
e: aside from having an entirely(?) Polynesian cast, that is

No.

If you're trying to sell people on a movie, throwing out a reductive, inaccurate hot take on another movie that people love isn't going to get you much traction.

It's not inaccurate, you're just getting defensive. Not trying to sell people on a movie, cause most people here have seen the other movies. The Lego Movie was great entertainment, but I'm not going to lie that it's deep or thematically rich compared to other animated films.

It's not inaccurate, you're just getting defensive. Not trying to sell people on a movie, cause most people here have seen the other movies. The Lego Movie was great entertainment, but I'm not going to lie that it's deep or thematically rich compared to other animated films.
It literally says more than that in its surface-level text. That's not a claim of deeper meaning, that's me saying you're misremembering, didn't pay attention, or are being willfully reductive.

Film is also a visual medium, so just talking about the meaning of the written word is a disservice to what's on screen in The Lego Movie. Strong visual comedy isn't all that common.

Did not like Wreckit Ralph. Just throwing that out there since I see many praise it so. Tangled is damn good though!
For better or worse, Moana doesn't have the directors of either of those films attached (Rich Moore and Byron Howard, respectively) - they put out Zootopia instead.

alemmon

I really liked Moana. The music was fun and while still Disney, had a little bit of a different flare. The movie was funny and heartfelt. The animation was incredible. Maui and his tattoos were pretty great too. I hope people liked it as much as I did.

samn

Fuck..FUCK..Rogue One was to be the only movie left this year. Fam is gonna wanna see this one too..

mcnulty-kicks-desk-o.gif

Money money money..

wait for the blu ray

Oersted

Moana has a lot of the hallmarks of your classic Disney adventure — the goofy animal sidekicks, the feel-good messages

People keep complaining about the Marvel formula, but the Disney formula is somewhat much more tiresome to me.

captainpat

but its heroine is something new, a smart and fiery deviation from your standard European lovestruck princesses.

People still say this crap? It's like the last Disney movie they watch was the sleeping beauty.

BH6 was the most bland, forgettable movie that DAS has produced in quite some time, but I guess it didn't have a funny animal sidekick in it

I pretty much agree with you, but for me I'd say Wreck It Ralph was slightly more forgettable. At least Big Hero 6 had Baymax.

I know there are departures from the Disney formula and movies which dressed up the formula better.

I'm still rather tired of it.

Fair enough.

A-V-B

Agreed. BH6 is way at the bottom of the New Disney Renaissance totem poll.

IIRC, it also had the unfortunate honor of beating both Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea at the Oscars just because a ton of voters had no idea what to think about foreign animated films. Not really its fault, just the way it worked out.

jett

D-Member
IIRC, it also had the unfortunate honor of beating both Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea at the Oscars just because a ton of voters had no idea what to think about foreign animated films. Not really its fault, just the way it worked out.

Disney(+Pixar) is going to have the monopoly on that award for years to come, whether they deserve it or not, sadly.

Violet_0

Banned
I pretty much agree with you, but for me I'd say Wreck It Ralph was slightly more forgettable. At least Big Hero 6 had Baymax.

heh, Silverman alone ensures that the movie won't fade into obscurity, even if only because of how divisive she is
the videogame setting is also far more unusual than yet another superhero movie, of which there are quite a few now even in animation
BH6 barely ever gets mentioned here, which I suspect is because there isn't really anything to discuss - a throw-away plot, a few likeable but ultimately unremarkable characters, visually nice but nothing exciting. If nothing else, Ralph has a more engaging story to tell

Guess I'll go see it next week, especially since I have some free passes to use up before Nov. 30. (Thank you cereal addiction)

It's not in 3D, though?

That's actually a good thing for me given that the tickets don't cover 3D.

overcast

Reading a review from a trusted site shows that this doesn't do much to differentiate itself aside from the fantastic visuals. Not bad, but "fine".

Still going to watch it to see for myself!

Reading a review from a trusted site shows that this doesn't do much to differentiate itself aside from the fantastic visuals. Not bad, but "fine".

Still going to watch it to see for myself!

The general consensus so far seems to be that's it's pretty by the books in terms of story, but it's execution of it is really great.

UrbanRats

BH6 was the most bland, forgettable movie that DAS has produced in quite some time, but I guess it didn't have a funny animal sidekick in it

BH6 was bad, but thankfully Frozen is there to keep it from being the worst thing they did since their resurgence!
Infact, i'd say only Tangled and Zootopia were really great, technical wonders aside.

Blues1990

I personally think BH6 would've worked better as a serialized television series, which is why I'm looking forward to watch the BH6 animated series that will debut next year.

Really, Disney's animated television division has brought out some wicked shows & shorts, though it's a bummer that some of them had ended up on the chopping block.

jonno394

Taking my nieces to see this early December as per our Christmas tradition. Haven't seen much of the film but these reviews sound great!

Looking ahead it seems like Disney Animation's production is going to slow for a bit. Their next original film is Gigantic, which is two years away. I'm glad their last film for a while looks to be good.

UrbanRats

Tangled, in addition to being the first film in the resurgence, is the best film in the resurgence.
This i agree with, though i quite liked Zootopia.

do we dislike frozen now?
"We"? I always did, since i got to see it, you can follow along now if you want.
Bland songs, terrible pacing, boring story, unappealing character design, and all around not very interesting art direction.

It's still a far cry better than big hero 6 or wreck it Ralph imo. Those are truly the bottom of the barrel for recent Disney flicks

GhaleonEB

It's still a far cry better than big hero 6 or wreck it Ralph imo. Those are truly the bottom of the barrel for recent Disney flicks

The only character I remember from BH6 is Baymax. I know there was a troupe of friends who were heroes...but I literally can't remember any of them. Totally forgettable.

UrbanRats

BH6 is truly bad, but at least it's visually interesting.
Wreck It Ralph is decent i think, at least it has some creative setting, even though it doesn't play much with it (and focuses on the racing plot).

Frozen had none of that.

Amazing song, I wonder how many from this movie will end up being classics. From what I've heard of this and 'You're Welcome', those two will definitely be remembered.

I've heard all of them and every single one is solid. 'You're Welcome' is instantly catchy and fun and 'Shiny' sticks out because it sounds so different. 'How Far I'll Go' could potentially be the next 'Let It Go'.

Overall, the songs are great and match the Polynesian theme like a glove. Really good stuff!

BH6 was bad, but thankfully Frozen is there to keep it from being the worst thing they did since their resurgence!

Tangled is their worst since Chicken Little.

7iGCuNE.jpg

bounchfx

tangled was dope as fuck. frozen was solid too. looking forward to this a lot if only for lin-manuels song. 100% on RT doesn't mean too much to me personally considering if it's mostly positive it counts as a 'good'. It's a fantastic sign though.

Disney just dropped the full soundtrack on YouTube. Some of the songs are seriously top tier Disney songs. GOGOGOGOGO!

whaaat, link that shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom