• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screenshots of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (Platinum)

Peff

Now that I think about it, if it's an open world game like the achievements suggested there isn't much chance of the PS360 versions being 60fps. Let's hope it got greenlit around the time where last-gen stopped being a priority, and not designed around them.

whyyyyyy do they have noses?

It looks like the game might be based on the current IDW comic. The art looks similar to current artist Mateus Santolouco's work.

db3f5c4f46e5127e76ab1debef21310e-d72iuoz.jpg

tmnt_2.jpg
That shot of Bebop with the chainsaw? Straight from the comic.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Platinum Cycle:

They announce they are working on X Franchise -> People get hyped -> X is finally announced -> People become more hyped -> Screenshots are shown -> People call game ugly/think it's crossgen or last gen -> Game releases -> People are having too much fun to care what it looks like -> People want more franchises worked on by Platinum Games

Metal Gear Rising
Anarchy Reins
Star Fox Zero
I guess we can add TMNT:MiM to the list.

Neiteio

I think this looks great so far! Also, it's neat seeing a Western AAA titan like Activision keeping Platinum busy. Seems like they appreciate the fact that Platinum understands action like none other. Maybe they'll greenlight an original Platinum title at some point?

Neiteio

Do we know if this will support switching between characters on the fly, maybe even mid-combo? The screens show team-based battles.

Also, I wonder if this will support some kind of multiplayer. I'd be stoked if they can recreate the feel of Anarchy Reign's multiplayer.

Peff

Do we know if this will support switching between characters on the fly, maybe even mid-combo? The screens show team-based battles.

Also, I wonder if this will support some kind of multiplayer. I'd be stoked if they can recreate the feel of Anarchy Reign's multiplayer.

Yeah, you can, and there's some sort of online play, but no details yet. Maybe they'll leak next week.

Neiteio

Yeah, you can, and there's some sort of online play, but no details yet. Maybe they'll leak next week.
"Yeah, you can," as in you can switch between characters on the fly?

Oh man, that's HYPE. Imagine flinging someone into the air with Don's staff and then spiking them back to earth with Leo's swords.

The visuals look gorgeous, too. Rocksteady looks PERFECT.

Peff

"Yeah, you can," as in you can switch between characters on the fly?

Oh man, that's HYPE. Imagine flinging someone into the air with Don's staff and then spiking them back to earth with Leo's swords.

The visuals look gorgeous, too. Rocksteady looks PERFECT.

You can switch characters in combat, though it's not clear yet whether that means the new turtle will teleport to your enemy or the camera will move to their position, since it appears the other three turtles are always on-screen and controlled by the AI. There's a decent chance of it being the former, though, because even Korra had something similar with the mid-combo element switching.

Looks cool and faithful to the source material.

Any reason why they didn't go with the 80's TMNT? They did with Transformers. I'm kinda in the mood for a cheesy nostalgic trip with this series. Would have been cool as a lost episode. I wanna battle in the giant 80's Technodrome, fight all those cheesy enemies, Gaint Krang, Pizza Monsters in the sewers, Rat King and have an epic battle with Super Shredder for the conclusion.

Pretty much remake TMNT 3 Manhattan Project as a 3D Platinum action game.

poodaddy

How did they get these images if the game hasn't been announced yet? Gaming illuminati, (
I prefer to call them The Patriots
), confirmed. Game looks amazing, and I really really really really hope they make this co-op. Recently got my daughter into The Turtles and this could be great fun together.

Quick question; will this be a mutliplat or Xbox exclusive? Doesn't really matter as we have them all, but I was just wondering.

Neiteio

You can switch characters in combat, though it's not clear yet whether that means the new turtle will teleport to your enemy or the camera will move to their position, since it appears the other three turtles are always on-screen and controlled by the AI. There's a decent chance of it being the former, though, because even Korra had something similar with the mid-combo element switching.
It'll be cool either way, but I can definitely imagine them doing something similar to the team battles in Arkham Knight, where if you switch characters mid-combo, the other character will teleport to the enemy you're fighting and they'll tag in with their attack.

Overside

Banned
Turtles have noses
Eastern_Box_Turtle_Head.jpg

No, like your picture clearly shows, they have beaks, which is what they used to have in the e&l/mirage style,. Even from the very beginning:

s-l1000.jpg

Now they have these faces that just look like a person who was in an accident painted their face green, and has the body of a turtle.

But as was posted earlier, they are clearly being done from some new comic book, and to that end they are flawlessly done. Utter perfection to the source, which is as expected from platinum.

But if even the comics are suddenly no longer allowed to use a face design that is recognizable as the iconic beak and teeth, I'm pretty sure something legal is definately going on.

No, like your picture clearly shows, they have beaks, which is what they used to have in the e&l/mirage style,. Even from the very beginning:

s-l1000.jpg

Now they have these faces that just look like a person who was in an accident painted their face green, and has the body of a turtle.

But as was posted earlier, they are clearly being done from some new comic book, and to that end they are flawlessly done. Utter perfection to the source, which is as expected from platinum.

But if even the comics are suddenly no longer allowed to use a face design that is recognizable as the iconic beak and teeth, I'm pretty sure something legal is definately going on.
I was being sarcastic they indeed have bics not noses!

TreIII

Looks cool and faithful to the source material.

Any reason why they didn't go with the 80's TMNT? They did with Transformers. I'm kinda in the mood for a cheesy nostalgic trip with this series. Would have been cool as a lost episode. I wanna battle in the giant 80's Technodrome, fight all those cheesy enemies, Gaint Krang, Pizza Monsters in the sewers, Rat King and have an epic battle with Super Shredder for the conclusion.

Pretty much remake TMNT 3 Manhattan Project as a 3D Platinum action game.

Probably because of two main things I could think of.

1) I've been told there still are a number of tricky rights-related issues when it comes to the Fred Wolf cartoon series, which isn't a thing with Hasbro and G1 Transformers. This is the main reason why even though Nick/Viacom holds the license to the TMNT, they tend to lean more towards just bringing back aspects of the 80s series in current media (IDW comic, NickToon, upcoming BayTurtles sequel), rather than actually utilize the original cartoon in full.

2) If you're Activision, you know that your recent TMNT shovelware based on the recent movie and NickToon has ranged from mediocre to terrible. The best chance you may have at a "fresh start" with the brand is giving core fanbase developer darling P* a chance to make a game, and utilizing a different TMNT series altogether. And again, with the IDW you get the best of both worlds, because it's a new series, but still will have familiar names and faces like Bebop, Rocksteady, Foot Soldiers
Wingnut and Krang
in the mix.

Mista Koo

Holy shit...I think I figured out how they are doing this and its definitely not a bullshot if so.

• render your model with its normal texturing in a front and back view.
  • Take screens into photoshop, duplicate, turn black and white and up the threshold to get the crazy black and whites you need for the comic book contrasting blacks and clone that layer.
  • Take the cloned threshold layers and save them out as various maps like diffuse, specular, etc...generally these are black and white maps that tell the engine how to light, or shade things based on whether its black or white. Some of these effects only appear in direct lighting too like with specular maps.
  • Trace over the original renders 2d Pencil detailing like the hatching and such on anywhere you want detailing to be more prominent. This includes various outlines. Duplicate this file and use one on top of your UV maps for the model's texture map. Use the other as a bit of an extra for your specular. Likely with a lot of opacity so it doesn't always show and look traced on. This way you can use an outliner option in your engine to generate outlines, but use the specular to add a bit more emphasis on the areas you want with these traced effects.
  • Create ramp shaders based of the threshold layer duplicates and map these with additional low opacity so that they flow as a black and white shadow/lighting effect as light passes over the model on don't look painted on. This is the only part I feel may not be necessary because you can hook a ramp shader up to the engine lighting nodes and generate this effect quite possibly more cleanly.

Trace/Threshold tactics are something I've seen folks do with a 3d reference model for 2d images to create amazingly detailed Cel Shaded looking comics, but it never occurred to me till now looking at it that this may be a way to apply those results backwards onto the model's maps for animation.

Gonna try this. I think I'm right or at least in the ballpark on how to generate these results. I'll work on this to see if it works out well or needs more or less maps/techniques to pull it along.

EDIT: Found it! I remembered a guy using this stuff before for a 3d to 2d work flow. This is what I think they have adapted as a technique to create maps for 3d cel shading of this level
Basically trace in the line work, save some of it for texture maps and other layers of it for specular/diffuse map assistance to help the toon shader outline tools to gain line weight. Setup either you own ramp shaded maps for musculature from threshold layers converted to specular/diffuse maps or if it looks too painted on even as a highly opaque map just rely on rampshader node properties added to your light nodes in the engine. Should only have to draw in details on anything inside the general outline of the character and the engine should generate the rest of your lines on its own and even get assistance from any opaque diffuse/Specular maps you throw in.

Gotta go. Zbrush is calling me.
How is that any different than any other cell shaded games though? It's always thresholds with finer details and inner outlines in the texture.

joecanada

The art is nice but I just gotta say with those noses and faces they don't even look like turtles anymore but weird green men with turtle costumes. I respect the art though to be what it is

DSix

Banned
"What's wrong with your faaaaaaaceee?!"

Platinum needs to fix this. Otherwise the game looks very nice.

dan2026

The weapon glow is actually probably a very smart adition.

If all 4 turtles are on screen at once doing shit at once its going to very difficult to tell who is who just from the bandanas.

Jito

Banned
Reckon it'll be disappointing just like Transformers. Sad Platinum have lowered themselves to doing cheap rushed games for Activision.

Sesha

Platinum Cycle:

They announce they are working on X Franchise -> People get hyped -> X is finally announced -> People become more hyped -> Screenshots are shown -> People call game ugly/think it's crossgen or last gen -> Game releases -> People are having too much fun to care what it looks like -> People want more franchises worked on by Platinum Games

Metal Gear Rising
Anarchy Reins
Star Fox Zero
I guess we can add TMNT:MiM to the list.

The same happened with Vanquish too. I remember people being incredibly dismayed about Mikami doing a sci-fi shooter and were super whiny about it, comparing it to Halo.

It really is true that people don't know what they actually want until they get it.

I think this looks great so far! Also, it's neat seeing a Western AAA titan like Activision keeping Platinum busy. Seems like they appreciate the fact that Platinum understands action like none other. Maybe they'll greenlight an original Platinum title at some point?

Doesn't sound like something Activision would do.

jett

D-Member
This is level headed, realistic GAF. Transformers was not all that great for a Platinum made Transformers game.

Transformers was legit great if you're actually interested in playing with expertly designed game mechanics.

NEO0MJ

This is level headed, realistic GAF. Transformers was not all that great for a Platinum made Transformers game.

IMO it was great but like you said due to the rushed and low-budget nature of the title it s full potential was held back. Well, Nier is coming this year and it seems like it was given a better budget and schedule than this and Transformers.

Top Bottom