• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screenshots of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (Platinum)

Neiteio

Transformers was fucking amazing

icmfam.gif

Can't wait for the Turtles

duckroll

Transformers Devastation is a fantastic game which does not even need to be compared to Korra to be great. The core mechanics are very tight, the movesets are good, and the weapons are fun to use. Where the game stumbles is in the unbalanced weapon crafting and leveling system which feels half-baked in implementation. It's also a somewhat budget title in terms of production values, but overall as an action game first and foremost, it's pretty top class.

dan2026

Transformers Devastation is a fantastic game which does not even need to be compared to Korra to be great. The core mechanics are very tight, the movesets are good, and the weapons are fun to use. Where the game stumbles is in the unbalanced weapon crafting and leveling system which feels half-baked in implementation. It's also a somewhat budget title in terms of production values, but overall as an action game first and foremost, it's pretty top class.

It is also easily the best Transformers game ever made.
And it ran at rock solid 60fps. As I am sure TMNT will too.

It is also easily the best Transformers game ever made.

I wouldnt go that far. War/Fall of Cybertron was amazing and more like what you'd expect transformers games to play like.

TF:D for all its greatness is still a bit left field as a Transformers game. If you arent a fan of beat em ups or character action you dont really see how it fits in the overall lore.

Neiteio

The penultimate battle of Transformers Devastation (spoiler:
The Autobots in a team-based battle against the Constructicons, and then vs. Devastator, and then vs. Devastator AND Menasor
) is straight-up one of the best Platinum set-pieces. Talk about escalation!

I detail why I love TF at length in Part 1 of my GOTY writeup:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192406592&postcount=2471

And if you're curious, here's Part 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192406698&postcount=2472

And Part 3: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192406851&postcount=2473

Agreed.

I hope Turtles is of a similar quality, though a lot of TF's aceness could perhaps be attributed to Saito, who is rapidly making a name for himself.

dan2026

I wouldnt go that far. War/Fall of Cybertron was amazing and more like what you'd expect transformers games to play like.

TF:D for all its greatness is still a bit left field as a Transformers game. If you arent a fan of beat em ups or character action you dont really see how it fits in the overall lore.
I am just a sucker for 60fps character action.

Base it on the Transformers and you have essentially made a game just for me.

Random question, but how old are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles actually supposed to be?

"Teenage" is kind of a broad spectrum.

Peff

Yeah, Transformers is legit. I feel like even Korra would be substantially improved if it had had twenty-ish Devastation-esque challenges with a little extra enemy variety. The advanced mechanics are there, but you don't really get the chance to use them extensively even in the unlockable difficulty. Still, even with the game as-is, you can do worse for the price range.

Neiteio

Don't think so. But it must be nice to work for a company where you can ask guys like Kamiya and Saito for input. :)
Oh, for sure. I have faith in all of their directors.

One of the most underrated Platinum titles is Anarchy Reigns, which was directed by Masaki Yamanaka. Maybe it's that guy?

giphy.gif

I feel like people talk themselves into thinking that Platinum is infallible.

They aren't infallible. The fact that people in this very thread are hoping this won't be like Korra and noting Transformers' biggest weaknesses is a testament to that.

Doesn't mean that people can't recognize them for the mechanically solid games that they are.

MrBadger

giphy.gif

And you're saying this in response to a post that criticises the weapon crafting and budget, as well as bringing up Korra, which most people were concerned about this and Transformers being similar to?

Coda

giphy.gif

I mean their track record speaks for itself, they never made a completely "bad" game. Some are better than others but overall all their games have had redeeming qualities.

RK128

giphy.gif

Buddy, Platinum is far from perfect :l.

-Bayonetta on PS3 was a horrid port that was out of their control (360 was the lead version)
-Madworld had issues (death kills repeated after a while) with the only big one being the camera
-Metal Gear Rising looks a bit dated at points and the lack of level verity is an issue to some. Combat system could of been expanded upon in addition to the Blade Mode controls being refined a bit better (still great, but have issues)
-Kora was there first 'Bad' game; lacked in content, combat was locked off for too long, and level design could of been better. Still an okay game, but the first 'bad' game by them
-Transformers has level progression issues (level up system could of been a bit better) and crafting elements could of been explored more

They are not perfect, but they still make amazing games (with every game I listed but Kora being a great game despite the issues I pointed out). Its always good to give criticism, as that allows things to get better.

TreIII

Random question, but how old are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles actually supposed to be?

"Teenage" is kind of a broad spectrum.

Standard practice is to have them being 15-16. But to be fair, only the likes of the IDW comic and Nicktoon have been at all close to actually portraying them as teens.

Regiruler

its from Activision, no way this will be Exclusive to any platform

everyone is gonna get to enjoy some Platinum goodness
Except Wii U

It gets guitar hero but nothing else, despite the fact thay Platinum has substantial experience with the machine.

Who's directing Nier?

Yoko Taro, director of the first Nier game is directing Nier 2 (Nier Automata). Takahisa Taura (Metal Gear Rising designer; also worked on The Wonderful 101 and Anarchy Reigns as designer) is heading the game design.

http://platinumgames.com/tag/takahisa-taura/

My guess is the Anarchy Reigns director might be directing this. Masaki Yamanaka. He was a lead designer on God Hand and Resident Evil 4 also.

Kamiya and Hashimoto are busy.

Saito could've been working on Transformers when this was in development.

So that leaves the guy who directed Korra.

Who's directing Nier?

It could be directed by someone new to the job. The only Platinum games to have been handled by veteran directors are Bayonetta, Vanquish, Wonderful 101, and Transformers.

Everyone agrees Korra is crap.

Korra is ten times the game Madworld is (and still at least a decent game).

My guess is the Anarchy Reigns director might be directing this. Masaki Yamanaka. He was a lead designer on God Hand and Resident Evil 4 also.

Yeah, that would make sense regarding the online co-op nature. Since it's seemingly a budget title, I wouldn't mind if they borrow the general framework of Anarchy Reigns for this game too. I'd like to revisit that.

I think you will find that Legend of Korra is, in fact, a good game.

The only bad game Platinum has ever made is Bayonetta 2.

This thread's great.

Why do people keep comparing korra? It's obvious that had no budget compared to transformers digital only vs retail and digital. $15vs$50. Korra could have been a good game if it had been given at least a transformers budget and even transformers wasn't all that good

Warxard

Banned
I know people mock you for your Bayo 2 statement but I kinda agree?

Worst parts of that game are the combat sections

I like Bayonetta 2 but it's an obvious step down from what Bayonetta 1 does. The combat feels like a downgrade, there's little exploration and the game just throws more monsters and bosses at you over and over. It's filled with content but I get the feeling that every level in Bayonetta 2 gives you that annoying Alfheim feel.

I still play Bayonetta 1 almost daily on 360 and Wii-U. I haven't touched Bayo 2 since October of last month...

I don't like comparing the two, but it feels like going from Ninja Gaiden Black to Ninja Gaiden 2....

RK128

Why do people keep comparing korra? It's obvious that had no budget compared to transformers digital only vs retail and digital. $15vs$50. Korra could have been a good game if it had been given at least a transformers budget and even transformers wasn't all that good

And Korra likely got a very short dev cycle (4-6 months) in addition to the lower budget. The game being as good as it is should be impressive enough considering that.

Coda

With Korra I feel like I got what I paid for honestly. $15 bucks for a decent Platinum game was worth it. I just hope TMNT is a $50-60 full priced title with a ton of content and replayability and great co-op. Also interesting levels, game design. Transformer's world felt kind of barren in a way.

And Korra likely got a very short dev cycle (4-6 months) in addition to the lower budget. The game being as good as it is should be impressive enough considering that.
I actually enjoyed it for what it was you could tell when they first started talking about it, that it would be low budget. Im sure tmnt wont be like that tho.

I'll agree thats on the edge of your seat action but survivng like that could be in alot of games.

That's a good fucking counter and example. I'd love to see the genuine reaction from whom you quoted.

Absolute truth.

Rocksteadys batman, and all the modern/western games that use similar look how awesome what you aren't doing is combat is so pathetically pandering its painful.

For the record, I have nothing against Rocksteady combat, and in fact I have spent many hours myself in challenge missions, where to get the highest scores you need almost as much dexterity, reflexes and anticipation as with many P* games. However there is no denying that 1) in their games such level of mastery is relegated only to high-scoring these side missions, never to surviving the game itself (which you can do by button mashing with a few exceptions), and 2) the freedom P* games provide is simply on a completely different level.

In other words, Rocksteady's combat is actually not bad, but it never forces you to discover its depth. And it'll never be as good as P*, but again, nothing is.

This is level headed, realistic GAF. Transformers was not all that great for a Platinum made Transformers game.

No, this is bad taste GAF. Devastation was arguably the best Transformers game ever (and "arguably" only because the amazing High Moon games exist); it has one of the deepest, most fun systems ever devised by Platinum (which obviously makes it tower over brawlers made by anyone else). When someone like Saur tells you that he's spent 140 hours in a game and he keeps learning new things and still having a blast, you know you have a winner. You have to look a bit further than the simplistic, recycled enviroments and mooks and take notice of the core game, its bosses and how it remixes them in the amazing challenge missions.

Monocle

I think you will find that Legend of Korra is, in fact, a good game.

The only bad game Platinum has ever made is Bayonetta 2.
Dying.

No, this is bad taste GAFl. Devastation was arguably the best Transformers game ever (and "arguably" only because the amazing High Moon games exist); it has one of the deepest, most fun systems ever devises by Platinum (which obviously makes it tower over brawlers made by anyone else). When someone like Saur tells you that he's spent 140 hours in a game and he keeps learning new things and still having a blast, you know you have a winner. You have to look a bit further than the simplistic, recycled enviroments and mooks and take notice of the core game, its bosses and how it remixes them in the amazing challenge missions.
100% this.

Jito

Banned
How many people were dissapointed by Transformers exactly? You, and three other people maybe?

Someone was hurt by that..

And I never claimed people found it disappointing, I said I did, which is true for myself.

The game had great combat and looked fantastic, but didn't have the awesome level and enemy variety or set piece moments I've come to expect from platinum games. It was close to being great but failed due to the clear budget constraints.

No, this is bad taste GAF. Devastation was arguably the best Transformers game ever (and "arguably" only because the amazing High Moon games exist); it has one of the deepest, most fun systems ever devised by Platinum (which obviously makes it tower over brawlers made by anyone else). When someone like Saur tells you that he's spent 140 hours in a game and he keeps learning new things and still having a blast, you know you have a winner. You have to look a bit further than the simplistic, recycled enviroments and mooks and take notice of the core game, its bosses and how it remixes them in the amazing challenge missions.

That's great some guy I don't know loves it, doesn't change the fact I found it disappointing.

Top Bottom