• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screenshots of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (Platinum)

The eyes and noses are ehhhhhhhhhhhhh... bad.

The rest looks good. Foot clan, Bebop....

Guys! Maybe you can unlock 80's models! Or Eastman and Laird!
not a chance in hell

Peff

Maybe the Activision PR guy was bored of all the IS THIS AN ARENA FIGHTER!? and gave up this time around.

minx

Looks like a cheap game reusing Transformers engine, and I wasn't impressed with Transformers gameplay, story, upgrade system. Hopefully this offers deeper gameplay.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I still haven't gotten around to playing The Legend of Korra or Transformers: Devastation, but they sound like polarizing games. Could someone who disliked them, but liked Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising explain what is wrong with them? Do they merely lack content, or has Platinum made unpopular decisions developing their combat systems?

NotLiquid

It looks lovely. The style of the game suits the franchise perfectly. I'm a little iffy on the eyes but other than that I can't wait to play it.

Also they should totally squeeze in a remix of Sewer Surfin somewhere in there.

Memory

I still haven't gotten around to playing The Legend of Korra or Transformers: Devastation, but they sound like polarizing games. Could someone who disliked them, but liked Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising explain what is wrong with them? Do they merely lack content, or has Platinum made unpopular decisions developing their combat systems?

The combat is never an issue with Platinum (The slow unlock of Korras powers aside), the issue is that these are licenced games. Licenced games have traditionaly had the same issues, low budget and short development times, these impact the quality and scope of the games. Some people are treating them like they are AAA productions when they are barley even A. Platinum are an indie studio which alot of people forget.

Transformers was awesome but Korra was very bland in terms of environments,length, game modes, enimemy variety and only being able to use Korra.

Considering the turn around time and budgets of these games Platinum is doing an awesome job so far. Korra was a miss for me but Transformers made up for it.

jett

D-Member
It looks about as good as I expected. I hope there's more scenery variety than in Devastation.

Looks really bad imo Platinum needs to step up there game.

It's a budget game releasing on five different platforms. Figure it out.

Loomba

Why have platinum been doing these smaller little fighting games recently (Korra, Transformers and now this) someone needs to give them some money to do a big release.

Why have platinum been doing these smaller little fighting games recently (Korra, Transformers and now this) someone needs to give them some money to do a big release.

Nier Automata and Scalebound are those.
But these games pay the bill. Which is a good thing, especially if they can reach TF quality again.

Man, those Turtle designs look really bad, not just the faces - they seem oddly proportioned on the whole. I really, really dislike them. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult to create decent looking character models for them, but Out of the Shadows had really ugly Turtles as well. And why the weird glow on their weapons?

Otherwise, the graphics look like they do a pretty solid job at creating a comic book/cartoon style aesthetic, which I can dig. And with Platinum behind the wheel, there's a pretty good chance this will be the best TMNT game since Konami's in the 90s, so I'm in... atrocious Turtle designs and all.

Since it's cell-shaded, I hope they pull another Transformers and nail the particle effects to really make it shine in motion:

zqychc.gif

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
The combat is never an issue with Platinum (The slow unlock of Korras powers aside), the issue is that these are licenced games. Licenced games have traditionaly had the same issues, low budget and short development times, these impact the quality and scope of the games. Some people are treating them like they are AAA productions when they are barley even A. Platinum are an indie studio which alot of people forget.

Transformers was awesome but Korra was very bland in terms of environments,length, game modes, enimemy variety and only being able to use Korra.

Considering the turn around time and budgets of these games Platinum is doing an awesome job so far. Korra was a miss for me but Transformers made up for it.
Thank you for the information. I can live with limited scope and lack of polish in some areas, as long as the core systems are solid.

rmanthorp

After TF I am HYPED - wish they went with a classic look like they did with TF but this looks fine!! Can't wait to see how it plays - hopefully we get turtle switching on the fly to continue combos and sewer surfin' - HYPPE

FaRd!N

Neo Member
In fact i was waiting for a dark themed TMNT all time (Rocksteady style), but because of the Platinum Games, then i am ok with it :D

AerialAir

Banned
In fact i was waiting for a dark themed TMNT all time (Rocksteady style), but because of the Platinum Games, then i am ok with it :D

Yeah, I too was expecting something more mature, but if they deliver with this game a quality such as the one in Transformers, I'm buying this game at launch.

KooopaKid

Banned
Looks exactly like I expected. Transformers with a TMNT skin with dull and empty environments as always.
Still, I want to see more. Playing with 4 turtles could be very cool. Hope the combat scenarios and missions are much more varied than Transformers. I hope the level traversal in itself is fun, Jet Set Radio X TMNT.

I'm okay with the style, but those eyes are really creaping me out. I'll hold my reservations until I can actually seen it in motion.

Wonko_C

Out of the Shadows art style was really perfect for the TMNT game. They should have just used that.

maxresdefault.jpg

We meet again cell shading.

It's jarring how better CC2 is at cell shading than the rest of the industry.

CC2 are gods at cel shading. But other devs deserve love too.

Nintendo for Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, Clover Studios for Okami, Ignition for El Shaddai, and of course the OG Cel Shaders: Smilebit for Jet Set Radio.

Don't forget Guilty Gear Xrd. Arc System Works outclassed even CC2 with that game, 3D close ups that look eerily close to anime, "2D" graphics that makes you forget they're not sprites.

Piers

They can squeeze out these neat titles under an Activision deadline/budget, so wasn't expecting much from those screenshots.
Feels similar to Treasure/Konami being hired to create cool games on western IP.

Don't forget Guilty Gear Xrd. Arc System Works outclassed even CC2 with that game, 3D close ups that look eerily close to anime, "2D" graphics that makes you forget they're not sprites.

Having tried it once at this gaming centre, I (and person next to me) genuinely wasn't sure if it was the new one until it did the camera pivot.

sonto340

Platinum has done some wonderful work for activision. I'll probably play through this when it drops in price a little and I have almost no interest in TMNT. I just can't resist that platinum polish.

I just hope and pray activision doesn't get a wild hair and try to buy platinum.

Top Bottom