• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fixing 97% of Vita's Wi-Fi problems - Solution inside

TomShoe

Banned
Oh cool, now the PSN store is actually usable. I was wondering why it was even slower than the PS3 store when everyone else was claiming the contrary. What a shitty setting, why does it even exist in the first place?

Best guess is to save battery.

BigDug13

Oh cool, now the PSN store is actually usable. I was wondering why it was even slower than the PS3 store when everyone else was claiming the contrary. What a shitty setting, why does it even exist in the first place?

its crazy to think that everyone's impression of the vita's online capabilities hinged on this defaulted horrible setting that nobody realized was wrong.

Sony should patch out the entire setting to ensure maximum fix.

It's a setting that makes no sense. Want to save power, just turn wifi OFF. Why would anyone EVER want to use wifi in a gimped state to save battery instead of simply turning wifi off when not needed?

For whatever reason, I thought the wording was perfect. Didn't know this was a problem for so many, but now I could totally see why people would think that.

LMAO I basically learned to live with the fucked up wifi for 2 years, are you telling me it could have been avoided by unchecking that one option? FUCK!!

laughing-royality.jpg

Stupid americans, that's what you get for raping ye english language!

creid

Oh jesus christ, seriously? I did have some pretty shitty experiences with Remote Play in the past, curious to see if they're fixed now. It'd be interesting to go back and look at people's "Vita remote play is awful and works like shit" vs "no it doesn't it works perfectly you're doing it wrong" arguments, in retrospect.

plainr_

I think that was the first thing I disabled when I got my Vita.

Save mode to me always sounded like throttling.

Yeah, I've messed around with this before and it sadly didn't help. My Vita's Wi-Fi is still absolute trash. It's lucky to get one bar when everything else I've got sitting around is at full strength. :(

Are you kidding me Sony? And I thought the whole time that the wifi chip is just downright terrible and not even Nintendo could find such outdated hardware.

hesido

For whatever reason, I thought the wording was perfect. Didn't know this was a problem for so many, but now I could totally see why people would think that.

7vc2H9t.gif

The phrasing is bi-stable. It could be regarded as "Keep wi-fi on during stand-by" (power save is reminiscent of this or like Sony intended.

Nightbird

I luckily never encountered this Problem (wich is odd, since every other Wi-Fi Device in my Home has some kind of issue with the connection), but now i can make sure that i never will.

Thank you OP!

Just unticked it. I generally get a decent experience using remote play but I'll test it later and see if it's any better. That option is really stupid if it's causing wifi issues all this time.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
- To some rare few... nothing can provide good RP. :-/

This is me. T_T

I might try just plugging my PS4 directly into my router. Would involve bringing the system into another room, but just once I'd like to see this actually work well.

hesido

I'm still getting only one or two bars, and the "connection to the server has been lost" on the PS store

This had helped me a bit... It's worth trying.
Apparently, I needed to switch to WPA2 that uses AES for encryption, rather than WPA which uses TKIP.

This made things better as more often than not the Vita was able to assign itself an IP on the network, but no dice on PSN connection.

I also added manual DNS numbers, which helped a bit more, that said, the wi-fi still dropped at random and frequent times.

Cqef

Man, that's the worst phrasing ever...
What I do wonder though, is if it actually significantly saves battery when ticked compared to full-power WiFi. As a portable system, it'd still make sense.
But it's totally useless on the PSTV though :v

breakfuss

Sure enough I had this option ticked. Unbelievably confusing wording. Thank you for the headsup. Hell, this revelation deserves to be stickied.

Bradach

Thanks for this thread. I checked mine and I had that option ticked.

That is terrible labelling from sony's UI team

creid

I wouldn't be surprised if this was set to "on" by default because they knew people reviewing the system early on wouldn't know to turn it off, and as a result the Vita's battery life would seem to last longer.

Game changer. I really thought it was my crappy modem+router and was disappointed when my speed only increased a little bit when I upgraded the router.

I assume this will drain the battery much faster?

I don't recall ever seeing that option, and I don't recall my Vita ever having problems with WiFi, so I'm guessing it's unchecked for me anyway. I guess certain games like LBPV I always claimed to have terrible, virtually unplayable online multiplayer. Maybe some of the blame could go to a lot of people having that option checked? Then again, PSASBR normally worked very well for me.

Sinistral

Wow thanks! Just tested it out locally, which I had connection problems with before and Bloodborne was running beautifully with no compression artifacts showing up. Will try offsite in a couple hours.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is me. T_T

I might try just plugging my PS4 directly into my router. Would involve bringing the system into another room, but just once I'd like to see this actually work well.

Before that, just do a quick test.

Go into the PS4>Settings>Network and turn off the internet connection completely. Then start RemotePlay in Direct Mode. Having PS4 WiFi module serving both internet connection and RP is really not reccomended. Even if PS4 is not transferring anything, Vita don't gets good priority.

Browsing gaf from the vita now, anyone have a link where I can run a speed test from the vita?

Vita should have network test tool in its Settings, that includes down/up speeds to PSN servers.

Jusoni

Well theres your problem. I've been struggling with low download speeds forever. Did a quick test download. Ping! All problems solved. Worst. Phrasing. Ever.

hesido

Vashetti definitely deserves one as I said in the other thread where this started. Some pun on "Vita means Life" involving WiFi or something, I dunno.

Yeah, it's Vashetti that prompted the thread, but also this is mentioned in the official remote play thread by DieH@rd.. I had to find it out myself at the time though, so I thought it was a good idea to make this front news.

Top Bottom