• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fixing 97% of Vita's Wi-Fi problems - Solution inside

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
As has already been said, 30fps games benefit from selecting 60fps streaming.

Oh and make sure "use Wi-fi in Power Save Mode" is disabled on the Vita.

Oh my god. No wonder my wifi was so shitty on my Vita.

Thanks for the heads up.

LMAO I basically learned to live with the fucked up wifi for 2 years, are you telling me it could have been avoided by unchecking that one option? FUCK!!

Exactly. I'm fuming. :(

Fuck you Sony. You are straight up derping us.

Halabane

I did have it checked off. It has always worked great for me. RezoGun has been great. That has not been the issue. Its the controls and worse the size of the text. Wish there was an option in the game for using larger text. Other than that it works fine. Maybe the new button mapping option will allow me to play things like diablo? Just seems odd that they did not have some kind of menu setting on the vita to have it automatically mimic a ps3 or ps4 controller better. Why go thru all this work of remote play if you don't do that?

Trogdor1123

Anyone got some suggestions to reduce the lag on my PSTV and my PS4? Both are hardlined from the router and the lag is pretty bad. I tried blood borne which may not be the best game to play but there was an extremely noticeable lag.

Could I have messed up my settings perhaps?

I remember when I first found out about this because it kept automatically pausing my downloads when it was enabled.
Actually, I recently verified I had this enabled, because I thought it was supposed to prevent my downloads from pausing, and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. ><

KAL2006

Banned
Holy shit this changes everything. This and 60FPS, suspend mode, makes quick games of portable Diablo 3 grinding much easier.

DieH@rd

Banned
So many people here ignored FAQ in the official Remote Play thread that was made year and half ago when PS4 was launched, and was bumped on regular basis since then. There is a step by step instruction of what needs to be done to make sure RP has best performance possible, and Vita Power Savings trick was clearly mentioned.

T_T

edit - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683245

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So many people here ignored FAQ in the official Remote Play thread that was made year and half ago when PS4 was launched, and was bumped on regular basis since then. There is a step by step instruction of what needs to be done to make sure RP has best performance possible, and Vita Power Savings trick was clearly mentioned.

T_T

What official remote play thread?

EDIT. Never mind. It's in the OP.

score01

WTF

I have this setting switched on but always assumed it was broken as when the screen switched off downloads seem to pause. I get poor remote play around the house as well.

DieH@rd

Banned
What is better WiFi or Direct PS4?

Well, it is always WiFi.

Choosing Direct just means that PS4 WiFi Module will be used. If you unselect Direct, Vita will connect via Router [it it can find it].

It is highly recommended that PS4 is not using its WiFi module for both Internet and sending Remote Play stream. Get that LAN cable. :D

injurai

Banned
Wow.... so my vita hasn't been complete shit over the wifi then...

dammit sony, this is why you can't have nice things

RSP

Ok, so It's connecting pretty quick now. PS4 and Vita both on WiFi at the moment. Not seeing 60fps yet, but whatever.

I was so excited hoping this would increase my performance but it turns out I already had it off. Oh well, remote play was never really that bad for me to begin with.

Iorv3th

My remote play experience is still poor even with that setting off. Something might be wrong with my vita. And yes it is connected directly to my ps4 :-(.

Don't connect directly to the ps4 unless you are sitting very close to it. The wifi chip in ps4 is ass. You also could have interference from other wireless devices.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Before that, just do a quick test.

Go into the PS4>Settings>Network and turn off the internet connection completely. Then start RemotePlay in Direct Mode. Having PS4 WiFi module serving both internet connection and RP is really not reccomended. Even if PS4 is not transferring anything, Vita don't gets good priority.

Vita should have network test tool in its Settings, that includes down/up speeds to PSN servers.

Well, interestingly enough after switching the signal from channel 6 to channel 8, I am actually now getting a decent connection via my new wireless router and with the framerate set to high-- it actually works better on high than standard, which makes no sense to me, but I'll take it. Ditto on the channels...I thought 1, 6, and 11 were the supposed to be ones to use.

Well, it is always WiFi.

Choosing Direct just means that PS4 WiFi Module will be used. If you unselect Direct, Vita will connect via Router [it it can find it].

It is highly recommended that PS4 is not using its WiFi module for both Internet and sending Remote Play stream. Get that LAN cable. :D
Wait wut? I thought Direct was the best?

DarkOneX

Wow this is crazy, day one Vita owner here too and I have always left that on as I thought it meant to keep wifi enabled when sleeping, which most people would probably want. That's so damn crazy, thanks for this!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm still having issues with the WiFi. Im in the bedroom, router in living room (the rooms share a wall) so about 40 feet away at most, and I always get the low connection icon. I have 100mb internet, but the vita always says I'm getting like 12.

What's the deal? I can't really use remote play.

hesido

T_T

edit - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683245

I'm already linking to your thread in OP after you mentioned it the first time. That's a great thread and covers a variety of settings. That said, this thread emphasizes the importance of that setting :)

EL OH EL.

Is this real?

I'll be sure to try this when I get home. But I have to say, the 60fps remote play has been fantastic. I get 60fps 99% of the time, so maybe this will boost it to 100%!

RSP

Check out this clip

I've made a video of what my remote play looks like.

- WiFi save thing disabled
- 60fps mode enabled
- PS4 on WiFi
- Vita on WiFi

- In the same room, about 10ft away from the router.
- signal strength on Vita is at 80%, getting about 20mbit up / 10mbit down on PS4 connection test.

Z3M0G

Sadly not fixing my remote play issues from my bedroom. I really should disable wifi on my ps4 and try that.

kng3025

Nice! Just did this and damn,the download speed is much faster. No wonder I had a shitty experience over the years. I would have never thought to do this.

BigDug13

Serious question, what's the point in having a "gimped wifi" option? The machine already lets you turn wifi on and off at will. I'm failing to see what possible use I would have for "make wifi function but function poorly just to save some battery" option. All it did was cause 95% of Vita owners (maybe more) to have a fucked up system. And even with this thread the Vita will continue to have more than 90% users with gimped wifi.

They need to patch that option completely out.

hesido

Check out this clip

I've made a video of what my remote play looks like.

- WiFi save thing disabled
- 60fps mode enabled
- PS4 on WiFi
- Vita on WiFi

- In the same room, about 10ft away from the router.
- signal strength on Vita is at 80%, getting about 20mbit up / 10mbit down on PS4 connection test.

The url doesn't work..

Vashetti

Banned
Serious question, what's the point in having a "gimped wifi" option? The machine already lets you turn wifi on and off at will. I'm failing to see what possible use I would have for "make wifi function but function poorly just to save some battery" option. All it did was cause 95% of Vita owners (maybe more) to have a fucked up system. And even with this thread the Vita will continue to have more than 90% users with gimped wifi.

You may want your system to stay connected, but not necessarily care about the speed it downloads anything. The setting has purpose, it just needs to be better named/described.

BibiMaghoo

I imagine its for things that don't use a continuous connection. So games that update a scoreboard online when you finish a level for example, or grabbing an Item from Near. It saves power and still functions for a few packets of data here and there.

Wow, thanks for this thread. I just got a Vita and assumed that setting meant "keep WiFi on when in standby". The device drops connection constantly, even when standing right next to the router (which is a good router; I have a dozen other devices that have no connection problems).

I look forward to fixing this when I get home.

hesido

You may want your system to stay connected, but not necessarily care about the speed it downloads anything. The setting has purpose, it just needs to be better named/described.

Hey! :)

The setting not only needs to be better named / described, but also should work better, as it causes constant wi-fi drops / PSN log outs / store disfunction for quite many.

Also, Vita could also assist with a trouble shooter if it detects poor wi-fi performance, including suggestions to turn this off along with standard stuff like wi fi channel modification etc.

BigDug13

I imagine its for things that don't use a continuous connection. So games that update a scoreboard online when you finish a level for example, or grabbing an Item from Near. It saves power and still functions for a few packets of data here and there.

But it's doing WAY more harm than good. It's a feature that has EXTREMELY limited usefulness yet is causing nearly everyone's Vita to suck.

Disguises

Oh wow. So it's not perfect like some people seem to be claiming, but it's a massive improvement. Starting to see why this is a big deal now and all thanks to a mis labeled option. Nice one Sony

Edit: still can't connect to my WiFi because the password starts with "0". Oh well

Shengar

ivaCIA2UUgrOe.gif

Seriously mind blown. I've had it on since day 1.

this
seriously, wtf sony

thenexus6

Is there anyway of setting it so the PS4 doesn't actually turn on? I don't need it to load up on screen and everything as i'm obviously looking at my vita screen not my TV

Top Bottom