• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT11| This Is Our Year!

Don't understand people buying 4K TVs when the content isn't there.

By the time it is, much better TVs will be out at much better prices.

Precisely.

Most current 4K TVs can't do 4K at 60 fps and none use the Rec.2020 standard for 10-12 bit colour depth.

What's on offer is like an anaemic version of 4K without a lot adjacent benefits you should be getting when the standards are properly implemented.

That and really you want quantum dot or OLED.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Nightcrawler didn't get nominated

ngDCi9a.png

arkon

It really will make me happier, but I hate letting people down, which will happen to two really good people at my current school.

I had a phone interview with the guy today and it sounds like it is basically mine for the taking. I just have to go in and have a look around on Tuesday.

Plus, there is another Arsenal fan there :)))

Do you know that for sure? You might end up hating working life at School 2 even more than your current situation.

I know somebody who changed jobs to be closer to home, better conditions etc. but the reality of working there was far different and he now regrets leaving his cushy previous position.

--

Like a pinball wizard

I like pinball

El Topo

I hope The Grand Budapest Hotel wins whatever it can win. I'm also a bit worried how much Grantland's article about nominations for actresses is true, never even heard of three of those movies.

kharma45

Precisely.

Most current 4K TVs can't do 4K at 60 fps and none use the Rec.2020 standard for 10-12 bit colour depth.

What's on offer is like an anaemic version of 4K without a lot adjacent benefits you should be getting when the standards are properly implemented.

That and really you want quantum dot or OLED.

Yeah once OLED becomes a mature technology it'll be worth getting.

I miss the old days of 9G Pioneer Kuro's, GOAT TVs.

Fintan

Yeah I thought there'd be 10 too.

Anyway, I hope Grand Budapest Hotel wins. But I'd be pleased with Boyhood (which I still haven't seen :lol but I know its going to be good) and Birdman too. (Seeing Foxcatcher tomorrow)
I think it can be up to ten, but a movie has to pass a certain nomination threshold. So if there aren't ten movies that get enough votes, they just put in whatever amount of movies that did.

Ramza86

Neo Member
That can only mean you haven't seen Whiplash yet.

I don't think Whiplash will win Best Picture, but as long as JK wins Best Supporting Actor it's all good. Grand Budapest has no chance of winning it IMO. Guys like Wes Anderson and Spike Jonez are all only allowed to win Best Original Screenplay.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh I didn't know there are only 8 best picture nominees this year. It was 10 the past couple of years innit?

Any who, except for American Sniper I called all of them. That was hard
p1kx90C.png

There can be anything between 5 and 10 I think. Depends how many first place votes a film gets.

Was only 9 last year.

Boyhood will win film and director, Keaton best actor, Moore best actress, Simmons/Arquette support.

Linius

Huh, Wikipedia now says GotG and Gone Girl are nominated for best picture on top of the eight we already knew.

What

EDIT

Someone is apparently updating that shit at the moment. It's gone now :p

I only really wanna watch Gone Girl, Interstellar and Nightcrawler of those lists

Wanna watch Grand Budapest Hotel as well, never seen a Wes Anderson film before except for Life Aquatic, which I can't remember anything about

kharma45

I only really wanna watch Gone Girl, Interstellar and Nightcrawler of those lists

Wanna watch Grand Budapest Hotel as well, never seen a Wes Anderson film before except for Life Aquatic, which I can't remember anything about

Grand Budapest Hotel is shit. The only funny bits are in the trailer.

FootballFan

I don't think Whiplash will win Best Picture, but as long as JK wins Best Supporting Actor it's all good. Grand Budapest has no chance of winning it IMO. Guys like Wes Anderson and Spike Jonez are all only allowed to win Best Original Screenplay.

Welcome

Who do you support

Gbh is so good Ethan

Seriously watch it mate.

Tobinishi

Z3 bros.

I really like it. Realllllly. But maybe that's because my previous phone is a Samsung s3, either way I'm really happy with it.

Do you guys put yours under water or are you scared like dc89 that it will break.

I put it under water first day. Same with my z2 tablet lol.

It better do what it's advertised to do or I'm going HAM! :p

No way I would put it under water. I broke my last phone and was without one for a week . I would have no chances to keep up with all those Arsenal transfers.
iyIEIP15d8gqE.png

Found Grand Budapest Hotel to be mostly enjoyable but really uneven.

I think it says everything about this year and the Oscars themselves that Imitation game has 8 noms.

Yen

Hope Birdman does well - Keaton, Innaritu, thon cinematographer. I haven't seen Boyhood yet but I can't see it being shot or directed better than Birdman (beyond its central gimmick of course).

Wilbur

Banned
Grand Budapest Hotel is shit. The only funny bits are in the trailer.

Found Grand Budapest Hotel to be mostly enjoyable but really uneven.

I think it says everything about this year and the Oscars themselves that Imitation game has 8 noms.

GBH is great. Imitation Game is shit.

I'm surprised to see Foxcatcher getting ignored for best picture by the way. Though there was a lot of buzz for it.

It won't be anyone's favourite film. I thought it was great, but I'd be surprised to see many say it was the best of the year.

No noms for Under The Skin. Expected. Someone in the Oscar thread using the excuse of "well all the other directors thought Imitation Game was worthy" doesn't know how the Oscars work :lol

Salvadora

Arteta is out for 3 months after having surgery on his ankle.

Guess that's the end of his Arsenal career, then.

In better news:
Sam
‏@samuelJayC
SSN: Bielik flying to London to complete Arsenal move on Friday. £2.3m fee. Straight into first-team squad. #AFC
Edit: It's actually been confirmed by his club now. Nice.

Linius

Hope Birdman does well - Keaton, Innaritu, thon cinematographer. I haven't seen Boyhood yet but I can't see it being shot or directed better than Birdman (beyond its central gimmick of course).

There isn't anything special about how Boyhood is shot and directed. Other than the fact it took 12 years to make it. It's the complete package that makes it so compelling for me. But realy none of the actors, or other things you can say about a film stand out that much that they deserve an award imo.

Fintan

Grand Budapest Hotel is really great, but it wouldn't be my favourite Wes Anderson. It's just cool to see a guy who's been making consistently great films for 20 years now get recognized.

Wilbur

Banned
There isn't anything special about how Boyhood is shot and directed. Other than the fact it took 12 years to make it. It's the complete package that makes it so compelling for me. But realy none of the actors, or other things you can say about a film stand out that much that they deserve an award imo.

Direction is way more than just the way its shot; I think a lot of people compare that and cinematography in error.

Linklater will win because he orchestrated what is seen to be a wonderful film over 12 years, got great performances out of his cast (including a child)... that's more of a feat than a single take film.

Linius

Direction is way more than just the way its shot; I think a lot of people compare that and cinematography in error.

Linklater will win because he orchestrated what is seen to be a wonderful film over 12 years, got great performances out of his cast (including a child)... that's more of a feat than a single take film.

Yeah that's true I guess. He had a great vision and had it work out over such a long time. But other than directing and best picture I don't think there's anything else at which Boyhood excells over the rest. It's the complete package for me that makes it so good.

Wilbur

Banned
YES Wilbur

Film that ostensibly wants to morally set itself against homophobia (both historically situated and, lamentably, enduring) but can't show its gay protagonist, you know, being gay.

Absolutely. And to suggest he's committing treason by not revealing who the mole is and everything... fucking heinous rancid shit.

And it's boring. And Cumberbatch just plays Sherlock. And Keira Knightley plays Keira Knightley.

Fintan

Yeah that's true I guess. He had a great vision and had it work out over such a long time. But other than directing and best picture I don't think there's anything else at which Boyhood excells over the rest. It's the complete package for me that makes it so good.
I think that both Arquette and Hawke would be fair Best Supporting Acting winners. They were both really good. And the Supporting Actress category is really weak this year apart from Arquette.

Top Bottom