• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ford Motors shamelessly steals official art from Firewatch

Chobel

(PS: I have been delighted to see some other devs get into the spirit)

Cl-3Kw-VYAAG4tk.jpg

Cl_rMGDUsAEXezK.jpg:large

Brilliant.

Illucio

Banned
Always recreate it. Explain to your boss you can get sued if they fight back and in my experience, 98% of the time they will just cave in and say something like make it happen as fast as possible. So I have personally always opted to recreate it. You will 1) have a clear conscious and 2) get really good at whatever your chosen app may be.

FYI I am 41 and have been doing digital design for over 18 years now. I have recreated a whole, whole lot in my time, especially earlier on.

I reckon I could completely recreate the Firewatch art in less than 30 minutes, and it would look very damn close. And that is no knock against the original artist, just once the art is there for reference, it is super easy to redo. I would open up Illustrator, make a few trees (and you have the hard part done as you clone the hell out of them), bust out my Wacom tablet and do the mountain ranges, and create 8 layers which includes the background, and you are pretty much done. Hell, you can even eyedrop the colors if you really wanted to.

So yeah, I would go as far as saying if a designer did create this, they have under 1 year of experience on the job. It would basically be design 101 to recreate this image.

Im wary of recreating somethings, I try to make it different enough that the design is its own thing.
But yeah remaking the Firewatch image is a half of an hour work, maybe another 15 to tweak it to make it different and more original.

But I can't tell you how many times I had a supervisor walk past me and tell me just use that and just crop out the names or words.

I have told that we can be sued but I'm just told either a) it's only going to be on_____ no one going to notice. b) were a small company no one is going to notice or c) that's inefficient and we want this done within the shortest time frame so just take something online and have it done by the hour or you're more then welcome to leave if it's too much work to tweak a image for you.

Recreating something is usually called "reinventing the wheel" and that I shouldn't do it if it's already made for me.

-sigh- I have recreated stuff all the time and got yelled at for taking the time to do because I took an hour and not 45 minutes. I think i remember the job didn't even have tablets or would even let me install mine onto the computer.

What you have to do in this career path is so frustrating. I wish I had a tougher voice and sound more threatening or alarming when I warn the places I worked at about this shit.

memoryswap

Neo Member
I saw your other posts as well.

You don't actually know what plagiarism is.

It think that many of you think you know what the word means, but have never actually read a proper exhaustive definition.

Plagiarism is a pretty open term that isn't restricted to stealing the actual work of art but also includes STEALING IDEAS i.e. The blatant knock-offs like the ones I've shown. If you paid attention, I said that they were conceptually 1:1 copies.

From wiki:

"Plagiarism and copyright infringement overlap to a considerable extent, but they are not equivalent concepts, and many types of plagiarism do not constitute copyright infringement, which is defined by copyright law and may be adjudicated by courts."

I don't know what else to say here. I feel like people are getting defensive because I'm attacking games they like, which is completely besides the point.

No, none of the examples I've given represent coincidental overlap of ideas. It is conceivable that such a thing can happen by accident but it's absurd to pretend that the hitman shot, for ex., is an original idea, made by someone who had never seen Skyfall. Let's be honest here.

Stuff like this is super common in games. The image is of course reconstructed and content is different but conceptually, it's a 1:1 copy. It's reprehensible.

hitman_2_silent_assassin_136936.jpg

Assassin_039_s_Creed_aa0a1_250x250.png

...Nope. Font's different, Hitman has stylized font, the red is a different color, the grey logo in the background is positioned differently (and is completely different), etc.

White background with black and red text (not even the same red mind you) is not a unique concept. You could probably find many other things in that vein.

Imagine you are are teaching a graphic design class and you have two students submit the logos I posted - would you shrug it off as 'not plagiarism'? Come on now...

more "inspired by' stuff:

VG-RP-Top10-Videogame-Characters-Based-On-Celebrities-480p30_480.jpg

1K1csWu.png

First image set has a different color for the inner part of the jacket, and the jacket in one has a black part while no black part is visible in the other.

Second image set is an -extremely- common perspective and scene. Probably seen in media many thousands of times. It's a common sense approach to that kind of scene because it looks nice and lets viewers/players take everything in. As for claims of plagiarism, one scene is tinted blue and the other green. The light fixtures are different (both use fluorescent lighting because it would be strange if neither did). No clock in one image, table is turned a different way.

memoryswap

Neo Member
First image set has a different color for the inner part of the jacket, and the jacket in one has a black part while no black part is visible in the other.

Second image set is an -extremely- common perspective and scene. Probably seen in media many thousands of times. It's a common sense approach to that kind of scene because it looks nice and lets viewers/players take everything in. As for claims of plagiarism, one scene is tinted blue and the other green. The light fixtures are different (both use fluorescent lighting because it would be strange if neither did). No clock in one image, table is turned a different way.

LOL ...I give up

Stasis

https://www.reddit.com/r/ANormalDayInRussia/

This subreddit is dedicated to russians wearing adidas (and knockoff adidas) tracksuits. Also there is a lot of dashcam videos.

WoaCaAT.jpg

Not saying the dude ain't Russian but that's definitely downtown Montreal, Sainte-Catherine street. The Reddit says "Just your everyday occurrence in Russia". Still ugly af.

Slightly embarrassed to say my cell phone case is similar, though a different phone, lol.

Top Bottom