• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale had Over 1 Million Players on its First Day

Kei-

Waiting for the DICE version of Battle Royal. Amazing graphics, already has destructible environments and know vehicles well. I bet on them winning the dev BR battle for BR dominance.

They certainly have the pedigree for it, but I can only see it as another mode in their next Battlefield game. I don't see it being the focus.

Bluehole are larger than Epic in teamsize afaik,

The ๖ۜBronx;250292102 said:
I thought Bluehole were pretty big, studio wise?

Yeah, they made TERA after all. It was no small feat. I was mainly comparing it to the industry giants like Rockstar, Ubisoft, EA, Blizzard, etc who still have major online issues in their games every now and then. I'd like to see them try coping up with 100 players maps.

MUnited83

For you.
I find it hilarious that both are using the very same engine yet one is janky as hell while the other is buttery smooth. The buttery smooth one also lets you destroy/build new environment, something that should be more taxing than the static environment of PUBG.

Eh the physics are a lot more complicated in PUBG (Fortnite's doesn't have much in the way of it, and the kind of destructible environment it has is really super damn basic. A couple of texture cracks and then a object simply disappears. Throw a grenade or shoot at a door in PUBG. That kind of physics is a shitload more taxing.). Not to mention Fortnite uses hitscan (which feels like crap in a mode like this), which is also less taxing than projectiles.

Even without taking that into account.... Epic are literally the goddamn creators of the damn engine lol, no shit they might have a bit more of experience with it.

Dabanton

This is fun but I find the art style very off putting it's like you're in candy cane world.

I can see this having legs for a few weeks, it being free is a big incentive to at least try it.

Awesome that Epic Games, a company worth nearly 1 billion dollars and partly owned by the 10th largest company in the world, was able to find a strong player base for their middle of the road Minecraft+TowerDefense game. I am super glad they were able to "borrow" the gameplay mechanics of a game too stubborn to get out of Early Access and onto console. Like who do they think they are? An independent studio whose team size is unable to scale their development to accommodate 3 platforms since the game's launch in March? Pffft, not an excuse to me! What's the problem with getting it on console? Besides the PS4 unable to even support Early Access? Sure sounds like lazy devs to me! Sorry Bluehole! You snooze, you lose. Stop complaining about FBR being made in bad faith, especially since Epic is your middleware business partner. No one likes you complaining and moping about your sour grapes. More like Playerunknown Battefrowns, amirite?!

Awesome that Epic Games, a company worth nearly 1 billion dollars and partly owned by the 10th largest company in the world, was able to find a strong player base for their middle of the road Minecraft+TowerDefense game. I am super glad they were able to "borrow" the gameplay mechanics of a game too stubborn to get out of Early Access and onto console. Like who do they think they are? An independent studio whose team size is unable to scale their development to accommodate 3 platforms since the game's launch in March? Pffft, not an excuse to me! What's the problem with getting it on console? Besides the PS4 unable to even support Early Access? Sure sounds like lazy devs to me! Sorry Bluehole! You snooze, you lose. Stop complaining about FBR being made in bad faith, especially since Epic is your middleware business partner. No one likes you complaining and moping about your sour grapes. More like Playerunknown Battefrowns, amirite?!

I hope you realize you are coming off as extremely whiny.

Wereroku

You realize Bluehole isn't an indie dev right? They are actually a pretty massive company.

Ploid 3.0

You're tripping all over yourself, but um...

P8Vlgm8.jpg

Fortnite PVE is also in early access for months.

Spman2099

Epic filled the gap. Good on them. I have been playing it a bit today... there is a lot to like here.

It seemed like PUBG was going to take their time to get to the PS4, they hadn't even announced official support. Now they are going to have to fight for that market share.

Judging from the few hours I've put into Fortnite: BR (and subsequent hours put into the PvE part), I think this game is gonna have legs. It did only go public two days ago, so I'm not in too much of a rush to see patches, but judging from what they've been saying in the forums, there's a lot planned for this.

Honestly I don't mind the initial barebones nature. It's fun to pick up and just play a couple rounds.

Tapioca

Banned
I'm really disappointed in this game. The map is tiny and the loot system is terrible. It is a really bad version if PUBG.

PrismStar

Yeah, they made TERA after all. It was no small feat. I was mainly comparing it to the industry giants like Rockstar, Ubisoft, EA, Blizzard, etc who still have major online issues in their games every now and then. I'd like to see them try coping up with 100 players maps.

Yeah according to some South Korean media, TERA was the most expensive MMORPG when it was released, I believe it's still one of the most expensive MMOs of all time and MMOs in general are very expensive.

liezryou

I'm trying to figure out what the fuck you are trying to say, but I've read this 5 times now and i still don't have a clue.

I started playing PUBG about 2 months ago, I love it but can't stand the bugs and how some games can feel very slow(tho i understand it works for that style)

Fortnite i played alot when it launched, Love the idea of their never ending PVE world and was super excited to see their Battle Royale mode.

If you are a fan of PUGB and even H1Z1 its worth a shot, it was built of a solid game and is FREE

Also keep a eye on the offical forum posts, they are working on a lot of requested things, i can't wait for the new inventory system, and character customization will be next lvl

Ploid 3.0

I'm so bad at this, but I like that I only let myself down when I die, and I root on the person that kills me. I actually watch til the end a lot since I'm usually close to the final 20. If I die early though I just restart. I'll eventually get good. Heck I may even try steam controller, but I don't know about that.

I never been too good with mouse/keyboard, but I'm super comfortable with track pad on Steam controller, throw in the gyro for fine aiming. Total couch comfortable casual playing (I always play pc games on my couch, I'm just saying that with the controller have more relaxing options with just one item and no arm movements).

mreddie

Quick question, with PUBG on the PC and my PC can't run it, I do have a PS4, do I get Fortnite or double dip on GTAV since they have it there too? (Still have it on PS3)

Ploid 3.0

Yeah just download it on PS4. Also I bet you could run it if you turn down the settings far enough. This is how bad Paragon could look with settings turned all the way down.

zR1G3wv.png

Ploid 3.0

GTAV Battle thing looks like Twisted Metal + well GTA (if Twisted metal allowed leaving the vehicles).

First time seeing the queue thing. 300+ was in it, but I guess it just made 3 rooms because it ended quick.

Heysoos

Yeah, gave it's fair shake but I don't think this is for me. Absolutely feels more action focused, the game is buttery smooth, looks great, but the gun play is ass. I wasn't necessarily expecting pubg like shooting mechanics but it just doesn't feel satisfying to play.

I'm trying to figure out what the fuck you are trying to say, but I've read this 5 times now and i still don't have a clue.

Not only do I find the context of FBR's development and release crass and in bad faith, the "fuck Bluehole" attitude I see in this thread is in poor taste as well. In my annoyance, I tried to mirror that petulant tribalism. Listen, I get clones will happen and I feel that more people should experience this kind of game. I just don't like the dismissive tone that folks adopt when contrasting the two games. Was I off base? Sure, I can see that. 1 million in a day is incredible though. People are hungry for this kind of game, that's for sure.

Ploid 3.0

I think it's just because people expect this in gaming. It's always happened, it always will (cover system used before Gears, but so many games use it now and Gears is credited to making it popular). It's a risky business, and it's good to supply a demand if you see it. Luckily this mode didn't seem like it takes years to develop. Expecting more games beside GTA and Fortnite to follow.

liezryou

Not only do I find the context of FBR's development and release crass and in bad faith, the "fuck Bluehole" attitude I see in this thread is in poor taste as well. In my annoyance, I tried to mirror that petulant tribalism. Listen, I get clones will happen and I feel that more people should experience this kind of game. I just don't like the dismissive tone that folks adopt when contrasting the two games. Was I off base? Sure, I can see that. 1 million in a day is incredible though. People are hungry for this kind of game, that's for sure.

PUBG was a fucking copy of h1z1 which was a copy of the culling which was a copy of the arma mod. So yes, i can confidently say FUCK BLUEHOLE when they are threatening a lawsuit over their so called originality.

PUBG was a fucking copy of h1z1 which was a copy of the culling which was a copy of the arma mod. So yes, i can confidently say FUCK BLUEHOLE when they are threatening a lawsuit over their so called originality.

#1 - you understand that three of the four projects you just named were headed up by PlayerUnknown, right? I know you know, because you brought up The Culling, and damn near nobody on GAF knew or talked about The Culling before some of you noted that, hey, finally, it's a BR game we can point at that wasn't made by Brendan Greene!

#2 - The issue isn't over Bluehole believing they have some alleged claim to the Battle Royale concept and format. Bluehole wouldn't have had grounds to complain (they've said as much) had it been literally anyone else besides Epic to bring out a PUBG alternative like this. However, it was Epic. Bluehole's biggest business partner in the endeavor that is PUBG, undercutting PUBG during a time when PUBG is potentially breaking more and more records by being the first to market with a PUBG 'clone' by leveraging their unique position.
I don't think they'll litigate; I don't think they even have grounds to. Don't get so hung up on that, though. Fortnite Battle Royale is cool, but it's not hard to see how PU and Bluehole might not be suuuuper happy about Epic taking everything they've learned and developed through their collaboration with Bluehole (both tech-wise and how to effectively structure a BR game - mentions of other games might hold up better if Fortnite BR wasn't clearly borrowing from PUBG to a greater extent than it does the other games of this persuasion), and about how Epic has almost immediately appended that knowledge to an existing game of theirs.

As a player, though, I'm not too invested in this debate, and I expect Bluehole is kicking themselves hard for jumping the gun here and putting out something of a combative statement on the matter. After all, there's a reason I used quotes around the word 'clone'. Fortnite BR and PUBG are worlds apart in terms of both the intended experience and the way the games actually play out. As someone who has played both, that fact alone has me chuckling at how many people in this thread are implying quietly that Fortnite BR is simply a better game for fans of BR gameplay than PUBG is. I don't expect Fortnite BR to leech very many players from PUBG, and I don't expect it to get anywhere near PUBG's success, either, but it will be a success all its own, and the two games can absolutely co-exist without cannibalizing each other. They share a basic skeleton but they've got two totally different flavors: Fortnite BR feels more like this creative deathmatch variant and PUBG is more of this tense hardcore variant.

I wish PUBG implemented the 'sound / damage direction' indicator FNBR has. Its subtle and I think it would add to the realism of the game actually. If you are directly in front of a gun shot, or directly behind a gun shot, they sound the same, and its simply insane to not know where you are getting shot from if it hits you. Between the 2004 blood splatter and the 'uh uh uh' sound you make when hit. good luck. People when the get his usually either run because they have no idea whats happening, or they spin around trying to find you, because they have NO IDEA.

Shot detection isn't a skill in PUBG. Its highly limited and often dependent on equipment.

Bluehole talks about how they want parity by forcing Post processing, and shadows to to fixed setting, and they want parity by blocking certain key bindings. Meanwhile someone with $400 headsets can actually tell if a shot is in front of them or behind them, and most people with 2 channel speakers / headphones simply can't tell.

Huh? I use regular headphones and have no issue telling whether shots are coming from behind or in front of me. Are you sure you aren't confusing the whip/crack sound of the gunshot passing you for the actual gun firing sound, because that tripped me up at first.

Ambient80

lol what is it about BR games that brings out the truckloads of salt?

I’ll give this mode a shot next week for sure, I’ll be busy until then unfortunately. Looks fun!

I find it hilarious that both are using the very same engine yet one is janky as hell while the other is buttery smooth. The buttery smooth one also lets you destroy/build new environment, something that should be more taxing than the static environment of PUBG.

Fortnite's map is also ridiculosly tiny, features far less things on screen, is more barren and more simpler technically.

Also has others said: It's made by the guys doing the engine and Fortnite as a game has been in work for longer.

Fortnite's map is also ridiculosly tiny, features far less things on screen, is more barren and more simpler technically.

i like it, there is no "realistic" camo gear, characters are big and blocky, easy to distinguish from backdrop, no one can adjust gamma or vegetation and shadowquality so the field is even.

JDB

Banned
H1Z1 (KotK) came before The culling.

Huh? I use regular headphones and have no issue telling whether shots are coming from behind or in front of me. Are you sure you aren't confusing the whip/crack sound of the gunshot passing you for the actual gun firing sound, because that tripped me up at first.
Yeah, you don't need an insanely expensive headset to hear the direction properly.

People pouring salt on top of salt in here. They're different enough to offer a different experience between them, and both are very enjoyable. Both need improvements, both are in early-access and will get them.

Metroid

Bought pubg and refunded it after an hour. Stuttering like hell, not optimized at all, too much jank. So I think fortnite it is.

Now every time I try to join a game it gets to the loading screen for lobby and then says my connection has been lost. My friend is literally sitting next to me with another Xbox and his is working fine.

Ubisoft really could attempt this considering they upgraded their anvil engine to handle much more massive land sizes without sacrificing scene density.
GlamorousValidBelugawhale.gif

Wonder if they're actually thinking about doing so.

They would be insane not to. The only reason I wanted that game was because of its similarities to ARMA.

In fact, I can't think of a better game for a Battle Royale mode than Wildlands. That map alone *drool

Now that could get me off of PUBG.

I can only assume that gameplay would skew heavily toward long-range engagements on a map like Wildlands' Bolivia, as it sometimes does in ARMA. So it'd be pretty different from the get-go. But yeah, I'd probably play that alongside PUBG, as something of a more accessible alternative to ARMA 3 BR. Something like that might actually pull me away from PUBG, at least for a while.

How do none of these have any relation to RUST? I am getting RUST vibes all day from this new 'genre" of games.

Darg

Neo Member
i like it, there is no "realistic" camo gear, characters are big and blocky, easy to distinguish from backdrop, no one can adjust gamma or vegetation and shadowquality so the field is even.

Yeah thats one of the things i like about this game, changing settings doesn't suddenly make your cover or some of the decisions useless because someone else decided to toaster their settings, i understand why people do it because the optimization is terrible aside from certain gameplay advantages. In the pc version of this you can keep the settings high or on epic and not worry about certain gameplay disadvantages. Pubg has improved on this front alittle bit but it still needs some ways to go.

Top Bottom