• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 · Review Thread

FordGTGuy

Banned
https://twitter.com/aegies/status/515051828686241792

So I imagine no ABS/TCS/STM, driving line corners only (OFF seems to be impossible for a games reviewer), normal drivatars (how many drivatar difficulties are in this game and where does normal rank? 3rd easiest?)

And back to topic:

Have you all got your tickets for the HYPE TRAIIIIIIIIIIIN?!

Polygon: A game set to easy is too easy.

Normal is really easy on the difficulty scale on this game.

I believe that it is easy, normal, hard, pro and unbeatable.

psychotron

I've never jumped on Gies, and even this makes me..

facepalm.gif

That doesn't even makes sense. Every open world game I've ever played, no matter the genre, tends to be a learn by mistake/over time sort of game. Every moment can be tense. That's what makes them so intriguing. In the case of FH2, blasting through trees at night for example, it's a heart pounding situation where you know you could fail at any moment.

When you do pull it off...it feels awesome.

OT name change?

Forza Horizon 2 IOTI God Hates You
Forza Horizon 2 IOTI Dark Souls On Wheels

MilkyJoe

Metro have one of the lowest metascore averages of all publications. They are responsible for lowering the score of most games on Metacritic.

They are a part of a major UK newspaper so they don't have to worry about getting black listed if they call a spade a spade. Some of their interviews with executives are pretty cutting, straight to the point. Sometimes they go overboard Ryse 3/10 and sometimes they are contradictory - ie they are damning to pre-order culture but seemed to be quite supportive with Alien Isolation & the Ripley DLC bullshit. But most of the time I find them to be worthy as a trusted go to.

Pretty much falls in line with what I expected.

Horizon has the open world racer figured out, and others in the genre will struggle to reach their level of execution for a while.

Xbox One owners will be very happy.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've never jumped on Gies, and even this makes me..

facepalm.gif

That doesn't even makes sense. Every open world game I've ever played, no matter the genre, tends to be a learn by mistake/over time sort of game. Every moment can be tense. That's what makes them so intriguing. In the case of FH2, blasting through trees at night for example, it's a heart pounding situation where you know you could fail at any moment.

When you do pull it off...it feels awesome.

I think the rewind feature negates that entirely, unless that's not allowed for online play, which I'd have to imagine isn't.

So I imagine no ABS/TCS/STM, driving line corners only (OFF seems to be impossible for a games reviewer), normal drivatars (how many drivatar difficulties are in this game and where does normal rank? 3rd easiest?)

The first game had Easy, Medium, Hard and Insane. Regardless, if you find opponent difficulty in a Forza game too easy, you raise the difficulty until you're at the highest level. We're not talking about some shooter that has a few preconfigured settings, in Forza everything can - and should - be separately configured to your heart's content. All it takes is to enter the menu and change a few settings.

ekim

I think the rewind feature negates that entirely, unless that's not allowed for online play, which I'd have to imagine isn't.

I don't know - if you find the game too easy either from the AI perspective (on normal setting) or by using the rewind stuff, just disable the latter and increase the former. It's not the game's fault if you don't use the options it offers.

MilkyJoe

Let's face it, in reality if you are racing through a field at 80mph and you decide to go through a hedge, there might just well be a fallen tree on the otherside, so the man is talking shit.

Gestault

The first game had Easy, Medium, Hard and Insane. Regardless, if you find opponent difficulty in a Forza game too easy, you raise the difficulty until you're at the highest level. We're not talking about some shooter that has a few preconfigured settings, in Forza everything can - and should - be separately configured to your heart's content. All it takes is to enter the menu and change a few settings.

Exactly. This is why I don't understand a review which focuses on the game being too easy or too hard, when (I don't think this is overstating it) they're playing a game known for having the most flexible difficulty and input settings in the genre. It's hard to relate to that particular point when the subjective concern is so easily addressed.

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/515051828686241792

And back to topic:

Have you all got your tickets for the HYPE TRAIIIIIIIIIIIN?!

Okay, so he's clearly used to racing games then judging by no driving aids (but still uses auto shifting), used the difficulty setting one position higher than the lowest difficulty in the game (there's new racer, average, highly skilled, pro and unbeatable), and complains about low difficulty?

O_O....wwuuaaaaaaht?

Maybe try the higher difficulties then?

nib95

Banned
Whoa, may have to unblock you from twitter when this happens! :p

Lol you have me blocked from twitter? I barely ever even mention the Xbox One on my twitter except when your guys drag me in to silly conversations lol. And I'm generally a multi console gamer (owned every console last gen, and the gen before). Just waiting on some more price drops with the Xbox One, which I think are inevitable over the course of the next 6 months or so.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Looks fucking cool! Jealous of X1 owners right now. I loved the original Forza Horizon. Hoping Driveclub can match the standard set by the Forza series.

Does he specifically complain about Drivitar difficulty?

He complains about that separately...

I think regarding difficulty though his complaints have some validity. He basically says the first race you do is no more difficult then the last race which cheapens the sense of progression.

Great scores for what seems like a fun game to play. Great stuff for PG. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more from them in the near future.

Terrible EDIT.... I should say disappointing reviews so far imo. I predicted a 91. Like with Destiny, I was way off. I called an 80 for that game. I'm not sure what's wrong with the reviewing process this generation so far. It's been pretty terrible so far.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
have any reviews mentioned ai rubber-banding? it was definitely present in horizon 1 and i hope to god its missing in 2.

jesu

Does he specifically complain about Drivitar difficulty?

He complains that they don't get harder to drive against as the game goes on

But it also revealed that the other drivers you race against start at one nominal difficulty level that never really changes as the game goes on. I never found a shift in the challenge presented by my opponents.

But they never got any better in my time with the game, a problem Drivatars also suffered in Forza Motorsport 5. Races later in the game weren't much more challenging than when I started, shy of some very poorly explained staged events.

He could have at least have tried the harder Drivatar settings to see how he got on.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't know - if you find the game too easy either from the AI perspective (on normal setting) or by using the rewind stuff, just disable the latter and increase the former. It's not the game's fault if you don't use the options it offers.

Turn it off then.

That's like saying this emulated arcade game with infinite continues is fine because you can quit yourself after three turns.

I mean, you could, but you probably won't. The inherent difficulty is watered down unless you make up your own rules.

derFeef

have any reviews mentioned ai rubber-banding? it was definitely present in horizon 1 and i hope to god its missing in 2.

I often read that, but I doubt it was true. The game never felt rubberbandy to me, because once the AI was ahead, I could not catch up, but left some other behind pretty far.

Kssio_Aug

The rewind can be disabled and obviously you cant use it in online races! Also the difficulty can be increased with few steps on the menu. Complain about that is pretty stupid imho!

jesu

That's like saying this emulated arcade game with infinite continues is fine because you can quit yourself after three turns.

I mean, you could, but you probably won't. The inherent difficulty is watered down unless you make up your own rules.

You get more XP if you turn it off.
I will be.

U2NUMB

Very good question.. the bane of any racing game. I do not remember it being a big issue with Horizon 1 and I still enjoyed the hell out of it so not too worried. Was not at all like Blur...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I often read that, but I doubt it was true. The game never felt rubberbandy to me, because once the AI was ahead, I could not catch up, but left some other behind pretty far.

it seemed to me there definitely was. you could get only so far ahead of cars then it always felt like they were artificially beefed up to keep pace, always making you feel like you were one crash away from losing a lead. i also saw it in action in one of the final races of the first game where you race around a huge chunk of the maps highway in a super car. early on, my 1v1 opponent crashed, but several seconds later i could watch his dot fast approaching mine at ridiculous speeds while i was red lining at top speed.

Terrible EDIT.... I should say disappointing reviews so far imo. I predicted a 91. Like with Destiny, I was way off. I called an 80 for that game. I'm not sure what's wrong with the reviewing process this generation so far. It's been pretty terrible so far.

gaming journalist are struggling to find a reason to exist.

This post says it best and I feel the same way.

I predict a solid 8.8 from IGN.....which would be equal to 9.5 in terms of last gen review standards.

Something weird is going on this generation behind the scenes. Too many people think they're waaaaaayyy more important than they really are. And I think games are the ones being hurt in the outcome. Good solid games getting some weird scores. All of a sudden a fellow bot like Gies rates this solid game a 7?

Right.

This game is great.

Or instead of using the AI second to last in terms of difficulty, then complaining that as he progressed, got better cars and got better at the game, he started to find it too easy......

He could just use one of the three higher difficulty settings available to him?

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but if the problem with the game is that it's too easy, the simple solution is to take it off easy mode and see if you like the higher difficulty better?

Top Bottom