• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 · Review Thread

The demo was awesome, and a smart move by Microsoft as it gave you a taste of what's to come.

The Only thing I'm worried about is that with the ability to drive everywhere and the huge map I'll end up missing out on most of it due to driving around in circles.

The reviews are great so far, I am interested in how this performs next to The Crew as it's the only other open world racers game this fall, and in particular how different the polygon review score is

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
ohh yeah, those reviews are as expected. A+ game.

4 more days :p

Some great scores today! Really made up for the team at Playground Games :)

Game looks freaking awesome and ton of fun. You guys did a fantastic job.

Playground outdoes Turn 10 once again?

If there is one thing I have found when it comes to reviewers, they seem to favor open worlds. So do many gamers as well, don't get me wrong. That is to take nothing away from Horizon 2, you still have to be a good game after all. Turn 10 May have made the better racer, whereas Playground made the more fun game is likely the better way to look at it.

ALAN ULTIMATE

Neo Member
For those in the UK still pondering if they should buy an Xbox One here's a little more incentive....

Starting 30th September 2014

Xbox-One-price-cut-Septembe.jpg

Scores are about what I expected based off the demo. Can't wait to dig into this. Looks to be one of the highlights of the year for me.

One4U

Banned
Racing game is popular in Europe, but Xbox One is unpopular in Europe. I guess this will lead to FH2 cannot enjoy great sales results as Drive Club.

Really hope this game can convince some consumers to pick up a Xbox One. Your purchase will be justified by FH2 and many other wonderful games.

BouncyFrag

Glad to see it doing well. This is great way to kick off the next two months of big releases. Soon our cup of gaming shall runneth over.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Racing game is popular in Europe, but Xbox One is unpopular in Europe. I guess this will lead to FH2 cannot enjoy great sales results as Drive Club.

Really hope this game can convince some consumers to pick up a Xbox One. Your purchase will be justified by FH2 and many other wonderful games.

You don't see this game making Xbox One little more popular then?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I read Polygon's review, nothing about it worries me in the slightest because I haven't played Forza Horizon 1. Also, I wasn't expecting "branded tracks" as he said he wants. He was saying that if this game had well known tracks it would have been better. I can't wait to see what tracks they do have. If they're tracks I can get in and take the time to master them (Off road or on) then I'll be quite happy with that. Even if they don't exist in real life.

I can't wait to play it, to compare Polygon's review to it. I always feel like they want to be the hipster of the reviewers and go against the grain for more clicks (which I provided). Which is fine, if it's justified even a little bit.

Not deterred. I'll read a couple more reviews to see what they think.

Here's my site's review!

http://www.xboxgamer.me/forza-horizon-2-review/

Score: 9/10

1. So much content
  2. Large open world
  3. Developers say their conservative estimate is 100 hours completion time
  4. Weather system
  5. Great handling (similar to Forza 5, changes with rain)
  6. Radio stations – 7 in total (start with 3), should find something you like
  7. Fun to explore for no reason
  8. Barn Finds
  9. Showcase events – as in the first Horizon and the demo, races against special opponents such as planes (no more information to not give spoilers – part of the fun is seeing what you’re racing against)
  10. Barrelling through a vineyard in a Koenigsegg Agera. In any car, really.
  11. Turning off the road mid-race to take shortcuts
  12. Online Road Trips
  13. No-lobby multiplayer

Dislikes

1. Occasionally noticed Drivatars/traffic pop into the game down the road, most noticeable on long straights (eg Nice’s seafront) and at high speeds
  2. Loading times involved in Photo Mode

One4U

Banned
You don't see this game making Xbox One little more popular then?

I really hope, but the fact might just say NO. DC will be sold tons more than FH2 in Europe. (DC is a great game as well.)

I just expect more people will realize the good of Xbox One and FH2.

If there is one thing I have found when it comes to reviewers, they seem to favor open worlds. So do many gamers as well, don't get me wrong. That is to take nothing away from Horizon 2, you still have to be a good game after all. Turn 10 May have made the better racer, whereas Playground made the more fun game is likely the better way to look at it.

I think reviewers seems to be more mainstream gamers than they used to be. Sim-racing is treated like some weird fetish at sites that previous would have gone nuts for it on consoles.

There's been a definite shift in the last ten years away from mainstream sites employing folks who seem hardcore into stuff like strategy or racing.

You only have to watch the FM5 video reviews with the racing lines on and scoffing at the idea of turning assists off.

VinFTW

Holy hell, excellent review scores. Definitely a GOTY contender. Can't wait to dive into it...

This game was one of those rare cases where the demo truly did tell you how amazing the end experience was going to be.

Congrats Playground Games! (and turn 10)

ALAN ULTIMATE

Neo Member
@One4U, Still early days my friend we're only just approaching one year into this current generation.......

PS4 certainly got off to a better start, but the XB1 sales have not stopped just yet!

Holy hell, excellent review scores. Definitely a GOTY contender. Can't wait to drive into it...

This game was one of those rare cases where the demo truly did tell you how amazing the end experience was going to be.

Congrats Playground Games! (and turn 10)

Fixed that for you :D

Kssio_Aug

Polygon as always screamming for some clicks, I give up about them.

About the thread, overall scores are pretty damn good!! :D

Sounds promising. I might need to pick this up. One thing that might stop me is if microtransactions are just as intrusive as they were in Forza 5. It's a problem that really pissed me off with F5 as well as NBA 2K14, for example. Unfortunately its an issue that "professional" reviews seem to ignore for one reason or another so Id be curious if anyone on GAF has any info about this before I make a purchase. I hated this element of both aforementioned games so much I returned both for full refunds out of disgust despite enjoying certain gameplay elements. If this has been rectified with FH2 I'd happily put in a pre-order in the next couple days.

Anion

Sounds promising. I might need to pick this up. One thing that might stop me is if microtransactions are just as intrusive as they were in Forza 5. It's a problem that really pissed me off with F5 as well as NBA 2K14, for example. Unfortunately its an issue that "professional" reviews seem to ignore for one reason or another so Id be curious if anyone on GAF has any info about this before I make a purchase. I hated this element of both aforementioned games so much I returned both for full refunds out of disgust despite enjoying certain gameplay elements. If this has been rectified with FH2 I'll be put in a pre-order in the next couple days.
No microtransactions, Im pretty sure they said that players didnt like it in F5, so tbey avoided it all together

Sounds promising. I might need to pick this up. One thing that might stop me is if microtransactions are just as intrusive as they were in Forza 5. It's a problem that really pissed me off with F5 as well as NBA 2K14, for example. Unfortunately its an issue that "professional" reviews seem to ignore for one reason or another so Id be curious if anyone on GAF has any info about this before I make a purchase. I hated this element of both aforementioned games I returned both for full refunds in disgust. If this has been rectified with FH2 I'll be put in a pre-order in the next couple days.

As far as they have said there are no microtransactions in the game at launch. That leaves it open for them to add it later but they know that they didn't want another FM5 launch situation this time. I will give them credit though because they have fixed most (if not all) of those issues now.

Duxxy3

So, any review for the 360 game yet?
Will buy it on X1 later, but not this year.

I don't even think we've seen a screenshot of the 360 version. Pretty sure it's still coming out, but it's even more mysterious than than the 360 version of Titanfall.

Anion

Seriously? Thats AWESOME if true. My pre-order trigger finger is getting itchy.... :)
Here is an article about it
"The approach we've taken is that we've designed our game at Playground Games from the ground up to be fair, to be fun, to be rewarding," Fulton told Digital Spy. "That's incredibly important to us. For that reason, we will launch in September without tokens."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-exclusive-forza-horizon-2-won-t-have-microtransactions-at-launch/1100-6420532/

Eolz

I don't even think we've seen a screenshot of the 360 version. Pretty sure it's still coming out, but it's even more mysterious than than the 360 version of Titanfall.
We had some screens, it's really horizon 1's engine. Looks like the same in a different setting.
I'm just interested in the gameplay since it's not the same devs (but still good).

I don't think we should jump on reviews that differentiate, especially when they still scored it decent and identical reviews are a common complaint about games media.

Looking good though, makes me want a One!

Differentiate?

This is absolute nonsense:

Arthur Gies said:
...save that there's little proper direction in offroad races. There are checkpoints that construct some kind of route, and the rest is up to God. God in this scenario is fickle. Strategies that seem expedient can be sabotaged by terrain that slows you down inadvertently or sends you flying, and the only way to figure it out is to fail

Who would have thought an off-road race wouldn't have a clearly defined route and obstructions to slow you down.

I think Arthur needs to go play Ridge Racer (bumper cars) to get some satisfaction.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Differentiate?

This is absolute nonsense:

Who would have thought an off-road race wouldn't have a clearly defined route and obstructions to slow you down.

I think Arthur needs to go play Ridge Racer (bumper cars) to get some satisfaction.

Yeah, I have no problem with a lower scored review as long as it makes sense. I agree with you on this one.

Top Bottom