• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

veidi

Leagues with divisions sound really great.
A mod for longer races would be a good option. Can you activate more than 1 mod?
Sadly just few new infos.

Really great off screen video here. The water on the windscreen looks improved

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_forza_motorsport_2_gc_brands_hatch_gameplay-35237_en.html

FM2? @Blimblim

CggNoI9.jpg

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
ASK HIM ABOUT RACE LENGTHS!!!11

So, I just walked by Dan and asked him, it's much more like it was in FM4, during the first 15 minutes you get short races of about 3 minutes, but it gets longer and longer and can reach up to one hour.

There's also endurance in Shocases events up to two hours or so.

Mods cannot make races longer or shorter.

Azzawon

Not sure how to feel about these new career mode "mods". Sound like bullshit that should be kept to arcade racing games imo.

I dunno, I quite like the idea myself. It adds an extra challenge to the racing so you don't get bored doing the same thing over and over again. It's all optional too by the sound of it.

GHG

Gold Member
I dunno, I quite like the idea myself. It adds an extra challenge to the racing so you don't get bored doing the same thing over and over again. It's all optional too by the sound of it.

Ok fine they are optional but why not just give us qualifying as an option as well?

No doubt they will find a way to monetize these mods as well.

MouldyK

So, I just walked by Dan and asked him, it's much more like it was in FM4, during the first 15 minutes you get short races of about 3 minutes, but it gets longer and longer and can reach up to one hour.

...I am pleased by this news.

danowat

Banned

Me too, anyway to alter the experience and make it harder is a bonus to me.

Fox Mulder

I want to choose the distance in any race. I expected there to be some endurance races in side events or whatever, I'm just tired of 2-3 races as standard.

Pcars uses a simple slider to choose at the start. Turn 10 just makes thr design choice to do it this way for a wider auduence.

Me too, anyway to alter the experience and make it harder is a bonus to me.
But if you can't change the race length...? Getting from 24th place to first in 3 laps is just stupid if the car performances are on an even playing field. You would basically have to trade drivatar difficulty for grid position. Probably makes sense for the few endurance races, but a +300% race length and no-replays would be a good mod-option for which an additional start-from-last-grid-position would make more sense.

That qualifying might be not easy to implement with how the drivatar system works, I can understand and the choose-start-position option is a replacement I can get behind, but no race length option?? Maybe the career has very specific tasks and it just wouldn't make sense. Anyway... race length is still an option in free play and I can use mods there too, right?

danowat

Banned
You would basically have to trade drivatar difficulty for grid position.

Depends if the drivatar difficulty is in line with FM5 or not, I found the difficulty on the hardest settings in FM5 pretty lacking, if I can artificially make it harder, or offer myself a different kind of challenge, I think thats a good thing.

There are a lot of design decisions I don't like in FM, but most of them are born out of the way everything is tied to XP and credits to drive the game forward.

kazinova

Amen! I love that track so much. It's gorgeous and has a fantastic layout. I used to spend all weekend at the camping area when they would run ALMS there.

The only game I know of with Mid Ohio is RacePro. Hell, I bought the game just because it had that track!

I think Mid-Ohio is in iRacing...yep, it is.

Lima

The Stig (Hammond and May are there too, he did not talk about Clarkson)

Jeremy is not in the game. He didn't want to confirm it very firmly but it looks like he was cut after the whole BBC fiasco.

Now what is interesting is if they are going to use the new top gear crew next Forza. I guess that depends on how popular that is going to be. Dan is super excited about the new show the trio is doing for Amazon though.

Stevey

Jeremy is not in the game. He didn't want to confirm it very firmly but it looks like he was cut after the whole BBC fiasco.

Now what is interesting is if they are going to use the new top gear crew next Forza. I guess that depends on how popular that is going to be. Dan is super excited about the new show the trio is doing for Amazon though.

They should just ditch Top Gear now and include the new show

Bobnob

Are lobby positions and distance to player infront or behind in ? I'm sure T10 said they were but i'm not seeing it on any GC footage. E3 build ????

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Was Microsoft offering a $10 credit for digital preorders in the past or was that just from the Microsoft store?

I haven't seen anything about any credit for digitally pre-ordering so that might be the store.

I know Best Buy has a $10 reward cert for pre-ordering there.

They should just ditch Top Gear now and include the new show

At this point? Game is coming out in a month and is probably going gold in a week or so. All that stuff is already recorded and finished.

_machine

Lines for the simulator have been way too long for my busy schedule (might have had the chance on the press/dev day, but had the whole day scheduled full). I did get to play the controller version, and it was both great and slightly disappointing in some way, but I'll elaborate once I'm back from the conferences and have caught up with the all the follow-ups. I'm still pretty hyped to get the game and the console in the near future, though.

Also met Alan from VVV, which was awesome and he was a great fellow :)

Shaneus

Lines for the simulator have been way too long for my busy schedule (might have had the chance on the press/dev day, but had the whole day scheduled full). I did get to play the controller version, and it was both great and slightly disappointing in some way, but I'll elaborate once I'm back from the conferences and have caught up with the all the follow-ups. I'm still pretty hyped to get the game and the console in the near future, though.

Also met Alan from VVV, which was awesome and he was a great fellow :)
Eagerly awaiting your impressions!

I'm considering getting a Xbox to play this, but I'm a bit tired of the Gran Turismo way.

What I want to know is about the racing. Is this a motorsport focused game or is it like GT, where you don't get proper rules, weekend schedules and the grids are always a mess with rally cars going at supercars, prototypes and whatnot?

In short, what I should and shouldn't expect from Forza 6?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm considering getting a Xbox to play this, but I'm a bit tired of the Gran Turismo way.

What I want to know is about the racing. Is this a motorsport focused game or is it like GT, where you don't get proper rules, weekend schedules and the grids are always a mess with rally cars going at supercars, prototypes and whatnot?

It is motorsport focused like GT, but you'll mostly face off against cars in the same class or design.

For example in Forza 5 they have a Hyper Car category, so you'll race the P1, Huyura etc against similar cars.

Mascot

I'd be delighted if Forza Motorsport adopted actual motorsport authenticity but it's not what the series has ever been about, and there's little evidence to suggest that that philosophy will ever change. Practise sessions have been introduced in FM6 but the small (and logical) step of using that framework to include qualifying sessions has been consciously ignored, reinforcing the long-held thought that Dan has no interest in simulating motorsport or offering a race weekend experience. It's unfortunately another example (like Forza's half-assed attempts at drag racing, endurance and pit strategy) of paying lip-service to tick feature boxes, and fumbling the execution. It's a real shame - the physics are firmly in place and it wouldn't take much for FM to step up and provide an authentic sim racing experience. Catering to the casuals with the Top Gear stuff and 'fun' like car soccer and bowling might well boost sales, but dumbing down the game has definitely harmed any sim pretentions the series ever had. Like a lot of people, I was rather hoping that Forza Horizon was being developed as an outlet for all the 'arcadey' stuff, freeing FM up to concentrate on a genuine and authentic race-day experience and live up to its Motorsport moniker, but that proved to be a false dawn.

danowat

Banned
I'd be delighted if Forza Motorsport adopted actual motorsport authenticity but it's not what the series has ever been about, and there's little evidence to suggest that that philosophy will ever change. Practise sessions have been introduced in FM6 but the small (and logical) step of using that framework to include qualifying sessions has been consciously ignored, reinforcing the long-held thought that Dan has no interest in simulating motorsport or offering a race weekend experience. It's unfortunately another example (like Forza's half-assed attempts at drag racing, endurance and pit strategy) of paying lip-service to tick feature boxes, and fumbling the execution. It's a real shame - the physics are firmly in place and it wouldn't take much for FM to step up and provide an authentic sim racing experience. Catering to the casuals with the Top Gear stuff and 'fun' like car soccer and bowling might well boost sales, but dumbing down the game has definitely harmed any sim pretentions the series ever had. Like a lot of people, I was rather hoping that Forza Horizon was being developed as an outlet for all the 'arcadey' stuff, freeing FM up to concentrate on a genuine and authentic race-day experience and live up to its Motorsport moniker, but that proved to be a false dawn.

Trying to appeal to too many demographics generally means a watered down experience, but that's business for you........

willbsn13

Yeah the qualifying bit is really confusing....like you have practice mode right there, all you need to do is take those times and sort them into grid position - and I believe the response to no qualifying was "we are really focused on the on-track racing experience for Forza 6"...but a huge part of the racing experience is qualifying!

It's weird cause I love some of the decisions Turn 10 has made with this game, I.e Making sure they have a solid locked 60 fps before anything else, the 3d puddles with the rain and the 24 cars - it looks amazing. The focus of adding in new race cars and tracks is great and the Online Leagues also sound very intriguing, sort of similar to iracing with the skill and temperament ratings.

But then on the flip side, we don't get qualifying, we get longer career races but no slider, pits are probably still the same etc. I feel like what it comes down too is what they have time to put resources into. Forza 5 came out late November, so they've had less than two years to get this up to speed.

I wish Forza became a three yearly thing. Would give the motorsport/horizon guys that extra 12 months to develop something even more special. I remember Ralph Fulton answering a question about having a race creator like GTA's (or similar) for Forza Horizon 2 and he straight up said they would've done it but the 18 month dev cycle didn't give them enough time. I'm stoked we get FM6 in a month and it is T10's 10 year anniversary, but to think we could have something else this year (PGR5, Forza Rallisport or just a gap year) and then we could have got a FM6 next year with 550+ cars, 30+ tracks and a more focused experience on racing - a rework to the tuning system perhaps, updates to pits, drag racing, maybe even dynamic weather? Who knows what they could do with that extra 12 months. Don't get me wrong, FM6 looks amazing and I'm going to play the shit out of it, but its just a thought for the future and the longevity of the franchise.

Mascot

I'm stoked we get FM6 in a month and it is T10's 10 year anniversary, but to think we could have something else this year (PGR5, Forza Rallisport or just a gap year) and then we could have got a FM6 next year with 550+ cars, 30+ tracks and a more focused experience on racing - a rework to the tuning system perhaps, updates to pits, drag racing, maybe even dynamic weather? Who knows what they could do with that extra 12 months. Don't get me wrong, FM6 looks amazing and I'm going to play the shit out of it, but its just a thought for the future and the longevity of the franchise.

I don't think the lack of motorsport authenticity or the repeated failure of FM to provide a race weekend experience is anything to do with time constraints. It's the design philosophy of the series. Dan doesn't want to provide a gritty racing canvas like Project CARS does. Forza was born as a car enthusiast's game as Microsoft's direct response to Gran Turismo, and it sometimes feels like the racing is provided through gritted teeth. If racing was actually important to Forza then you'd think Turn 10 would actually put some effort into it with proper structure, race length, pit strategy, flags and penalties. As it stands FM is structured like an arcade game with simulation physics, and we have to assume that's what the design document dictates.

Stevey

I haven't seen anything about any credit for digitally pre-ordering so that might be the store.

I know Best Buy has a $10 reward cert for pre-ordering there.

At this point? Game is coming out in a month and is probably going gold in a week or so. All that stuff is already recorded and finished.

No I mean for the next game.
Jeremy,James and Richard are Top Gear

willbsn13

I don't think the lack of motorsport authenticity or the repeated failure of FM to provide a race weekend experience is anything to do with time constraints. It's the design philosophy of the series. Dan doesn't want to provide a gritty racing canvas like Project CARS does. Forza was born as a car enthusiast's game as Microsoft's direct response to Gran Turismo, and it sometimes feels like the racing is provided through gritted teeth. If racing was actually important to Forza then you'd think Turn 10 would actually put some effort into it with proper structure, race length, pit strategy, flags and penalties. As it stands FM is structured like an arcade game with simulation physics, and we have to assume that's what the design document dictates.

Yeah good point about Forza being born as a response to GT. I wouldn't go as far to say the racing isn't important to Forza at all, and its certainly going to to be a mile better than the racing that took place in Forza 5, but you are right about the lack of penalties, pits etc and the general overall focus to sim racing. I think T10 still continually reiterating the numbers game in interviews shows that they are still more about hitting that car collecting niche more than the hardcore racing niche like PCars has done.

Anyway more screens courtesy of Badned, looks fantastic!

spa-night-wm-forza6f5s5b.jpg

silverstone-wet-wm-fou9s6v.jpg

spawet_wm_forza6dvstm.jpg

Top Bottom