• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sounds like I'd better check this out on both XB1 and PC soonish, in case I need to cancel my preorder. There are plenty of racing options this year so if this is anywhere near the shitshow that FH3 was on PC I think I'll have to bail.

Reading about all these problems some people are having on PC just re-affirms to me why I game on console. I fired up the day-1 XB1 last night, downloaded & started playing in 15 minutes. Played through the whole demo with no issues, smooth as butter. The game looked & played great on the OG XB1.

Well, it's not like consoles are immune from problems just like PC.

It's a great demo. The Porsche as always has a heavy handling, but the track showcased is gorgeous and really fun to drive regardless. The truck race is a welcome addition, a bit on the easy side on the same settings as before but I can always mix that up a bit (do they still have the modifiers system from F6? I liked mixing up the race rules with that). The last one with the sped up dynamic weather was glorious, it will be amazing on a more real time setting on endurance races. Can't wait to play the full game on the X.

xrnzaaas

It's a great demo. The Porsche as always has a heavy handling, but the track showcased is gorgeous and really fun to drive regardless. The truck race is a welcome addition, a bit on the easy side on the same settings as before but I can always mix that up a bit (do they still have the modifiers system from F6? I liked mixing up the race rules with that). The last one with the sped up dynamic weather was glorious, it will be amazing on a more real time setting on endurance races. Can't wait to play the full game on the X.

Yes mods are even more important now since you don't get any bonus credits for changing the assists anymore.

m29a

Neo Member
Well, it's not like consoles are immune from problems just like PC.

Not even mentioning that the PC performance problems can be exaggerated sometimes. Some expect to crank it at ultra and don't even try to tweak with various settings which doesn't take much time at all. There are some settings that just aren't worth the performance hits. Even if someone has a top of the line card, that doesn't somehow make ultra that much of a huge difference versus high, especially when playing.

leng jai

The menu stuttering is hilarious bad on PC, amateur hour stuff. In game performance is pretty good though on my 1070. The tracks look pretty bland even maxed out, but I'm quite impressed by the weather effects.

Skyr

Is it still possible to preorder the game from a windows store that is outside of your own region?
There are crazy differences in price depending on the region for the ultimate edition.

I almost forgot: The Dubai track is probably the most boring showcase track Turn 10 have ever done.

They should have remade Camino Vejo instead.

CGSingularity

Neo Member
The game runs flawlessly with all settings at max and 8x msaa on my i7 4770k and gtx 1080. I have a feeling that alot of the stuttering people are experiencing is due to not having enough vram. MSI Afterburner had my vram usage peaking at 78% of 8gb.

I have no problem with the way the cars handle either (with a controller). I do have to admit my racing Sim pallet may not be as refined as others on here but I've played quite a few over the years.

Regardless of all the initial negativity I'm hyped to play through this on my PC and One X in the near future. Turn 10 has done a tremendous job with the forza series.

It actually allows you to select 21:9 resolutions?

Because for me it only shows 16:9 aspect ratios.

Set it to native screen resolution (fullscreen). In game it will be 21:9, but menu have black bars.

For those with performance problems, disable Core 0 in cpu affinity.

I'm running the game @ 2560*1080 @ 75hz, all maxed out, resolution to 100%, everything maxed (4xMsaa) out and it's great.

i7 6700k, GTX 1080

supersaw

It doesn't run as horribly as Horizon 3 at launch but its far from being as well optimised as Dan was touting it to be at e3. Seems to have similar cpu issues as Horizon.

GHG

Reading about all these problems some people are having on PC just re-affirms to me why I game on console. I fired up the day-1 XB1 last night, downloaded & started playing in 15 minutes. Played through the whole demo with no issues, smooth as butter. The game looked & played great on the OG XB1.

Yes, because the windows store is indicative of PC gaming in general.

MaLDo

The game runs flawlessly with all settings at max and 8x msaa on my i7 4770k and gtx 1080. I have a feeling that alot of the stuttering people are experiencing is due to not having enough vram. MSI Afterburner had my vram usage peaking at 78% of 8gb.

I have no problem with the way the cars handle either (with a controller). I do have to admit my racing Sim pallet may not be as refined as others on here but I've played quite a few over the years.

Regardless of all the initial negativity I'm hyped to play through this on my PC and One X in the near future. Turn 10 has done a tremendous job with the forza series.

I have 8 gb of vram and 32 of system ram but the demo stutters. FH3 and Apex run perfect.

Technically your CPU should be overkill. I'm getting the same drops to 40 fps if I aim for 60fps with hitching all over the place.

Playing Forza 7 is like driving around the city part in FH3. Looking like folks who have the latest intel with ram at 3200mhz will mitigate most of the issues like in FH3.

So it is the same issue as in FH3 :/ It's a shame, FH4 runs almost perfectly fine now after the patches and Forza 6 Apex ran well over 90fps most of the time too. Whatever Turn10 did they shouldn't "gimp" older CPUs like that.

Well, aside from menu stutter which I can live with in a demo, I'm pretty impressed. The actual racing is smooth on my PC and it looks gorgeous. The lighting and reflections during the stormy race are beautiful. I'm really looking forward to playing the full game.

Glad others are struggling with the Porsche too. I came in dead last in my first race, which I was a bit surprised about given I play a fair bit of Forza 6 and am usually pretty decent. I thought I'd inexplicably forgotten how to play all of a sudden.

Yes, because the windows store is indicative of PC gaming in general.

Because Windows Store is the cause of all these "bad performance" posts people are making? That's PC in a nutshell, so much variation in hardware on a game who's core engine is optimised for something that can look quite a bit different from what most people are running.

(Even the crazy people who are expecting their machines to run ultra no problem).

It's odd that so many people having performance problems on PC. Meanwhile for me it's exact opposite. Performance is amazing.

Playing at 1080p with 200% scaling, which means downsampling from 4K.

I have all settings max, 4xMSAA, dynamic stuff off.

Getting 60FPS on 980Ti.

Question to people having problem, did you turn on prefer max performance in Nvidia control panel for Forza 7?

abEocCI.png

DarkestHour

Banned
It's odd that so many people having performance problems on PC. Meanwhile for me it's exact opposite. Performance is amazing.

Playing at 1080p with 200% scaling, which means downsampling from 4K.

I have all settings max, 4xMSAA, dynamic stuff off.

Getting 60FPS on 980Ti.

Question to people having problem, did you turn on prefer max performance in Nvidia control panel for Forza 7?

That did nothing for me. All my problems were cured by forcing in game frame rate target to 60 FPS instead of Dynamic. Same with others.

I do imagine this game would benefit from drivers from Nvidia or AMD though.

willbsn13

I would get the comments about "lack of feel" if I only raced the Porsche.

But the Truck race and the Nismo GTR race feel very similar to FM6 in terms of physics IMO. Definitely feel connected to the road, responsive, like a FM game should on a controller. I'll try the truck/GTR back on FM6 and see if it really is that different but at the moment I'm not seeing/feeling a huge difference

furfoots

Didnt enjoy the demo. My bad experience with win store for fh3, forcing creator update and a lack of vr support means my money is going to pcars 2.

jediyoshi

That did nothing for me. All my problems were cured by forcing in game frame rate target to 60 FPS instead of Dynamic. Same with others.

Was having it on Dynamic doing something other than capping your framerate to half your display's refresh rate? I'm still not sure what the option is supposed to do.

Didnt enjoy the demo. My bad experience with win store for fh3, forcing creator update and a lack of vr support means my money is going to pcars 2.

So to clarify, the actual content and quality of the demo was completely irrelevant and your personal shouldn't have been a surprise after the fact. Weird way to quantify your time with the demo itself.

danowat

Banned
I would get the comments about "lack of feel" if I only raced the Porsche.

But the Truck race and the Nismo GTR race feel very similar to FM6 in terms of physics IMO. Definitely feel connected to the road, responsive, like a FM game should on a controller. I'll try the truck/GTR back on FM6 and see if it really is that different but at the moment I'm not seeing/feeling a huge difference

I think the lines between FM and FH are becoming a bit blurred in terms of physics, so for many this is probably a good thing, but I think FM taken too big a step in the direction of FH, and feels less satisfying to me.

The truck was probably the best, the GTR felt very wrong, especially when the track got wet(ter), and the less said about the Porsche the better.

I get that many might like it, but it's not for me, at least not at full price.

Graphically I think it's very good, I am surprised at the people saying it's bad, I can remember playing FM5 for the first time on the XBO, and thinking it didn't look that great, but 7 looks good from the off, and I liked the way the views felt dynamic, without feeling too "action movie" (like Shift did)

supersaw

It feels like little or no optimisation occurred on older cpus I bet if i run it on my 6700k with 4000mhz ddr4 it will run a lot better. The thing is; it's still badly optimised and people need to acknowledge it. It's especially disappointing given how Turn10 made a point of saying how greatly optimised it was.

I have a 1080 and 980x in my racing rig, which is an older cpu but it still shreds everything i throw at it racing wise, even fh3 gets a stable 60 after the patches.

FH3 was unplayable for a lot of people with tons of crashes at launch. I was expecting better. I don't want to shell out $140 (yes that's how much ultimate is here) then have to wait a few months till its running acceptably on older hardware.

CGSingularity

Neo Member
Shame it runs bad on PC. Ill just grab on my xbox-one X. MS seems to have issues with PC ports.

Honestly the only MS Port I've had a problem with was Quantum Break. Surprisingly I've been able to run all of their games with max settings which I can't say about other PC ports from various companies. I'm aware this all depends on your setup but so far I've had very few issues if any.

drotahorror

Weird looking at this thread after I played the demo yesterday. Never dropped a beat, except for 1 or 2 odd stutters, maxed out (4x msaa), 60fps vsync, 1080p. Played all 3 tracks. I had really good luck with FH3 as well though. I just have the perfect system I guess. I'm pretty damn sensitive to micro stutter too.

I'll try the truck/GTR back on FM6 and see if it really is that different but at the moment I'm not seeing/feeling a huge difference
But even if you really liked FM6's handling, is that good or bad?

I think if you're buying these iterative games (goes for FIFA and such as well), don't you want the new one to do more things in the physics department. Otherwise it's just a roster and location update (and graphics a little bit too of course). Ok, they have ToD/weather scenarios, that's physics too, but back in the day GT and Forza always had something new to report on what they are simulating now that makes it much better than before.

I'm sure they're doing new stuff, GTS as well, but they're not really saying and pointing at what it is.

danowat

Banned
I'm sure they're doing new stuff, GTS as well, but they're not really saying and pointing at what it is.

I'm sure they (T10) used to make a bit of noise about their physics and tyre model, think this is the first one where I not heard anything from them in these regards.

MaLDo

Interesting, what kind of processor are you running? I haven't looked at how mine was performing as far as core usage but had no issues with a 4770k.

2700K at 5 ghz. I don't have problems with framerate. My problem is the game stutters in menus and the framepacing in the race is not good even with 60 vsynced fps. On top of that, there are like two places in the Dubai track where the game stutters because of loading parts of the track. Always same places like Rio did in Apex before the last patch.

It doesn't matter if I can have 60 fps at 4K with MSAA if the game has stutters. Same happened with Forza Horizon 3. People said it was incredible at 60 fps the first day. After that, only complains about the lack of consistency.

Watching some drifting video of the 911 and it looks nimble as hell. The Assists are killing the steering for this car I think.

Good god what were they thinking with the wheel support.

My G27 starts doing a death rattle as soon as I lose grip, I have no idea how much counter steer I should give to stabilise the car.

I think they confused "Force feedback" with "rattling and shaking".

Absolute garbage, and this is coming from someone who owns every single forza except for motorsports 5. This is literally unplayable on a G27.

Glad I went with PCars 2.

Thank you, so i´m not crazy. Right out of the box it´s unplayable with a G25. The fact that you have to go online looking for help and settings to find something that kind of works is absurd.

Still like Apex the handling on wheels is complete junk. Coming from sim games it´s easy to go from AC to Pcars to RaceRoom or any other game and in 10 minutes you are already racing pretty well without any tweaks because hey, they all make sense in a degree.

Forza just doesn´t make any sense regardind physics. It´s the same bad feeling i had with Driveclub, which is utter trash

I did and managed to remove the death rattle, but it's still plagued by the same issue apex had, once you lose grip there is no recovering.

And it´s random, like they are not even trying to be a simcade anymore. The game just start rubbing you the wrong way from the start. Music on and a bunch of things you have to disable in the options menu, then the game throws me a SuperGT car racing in a field full of GT3 cars.

Is this a joke?

If you only have one SuperGT car, then it should be a time trial, if they dumbed down the performance of the car, then it´s a much bigger issue.

I don't know what they've done to the physics, it doesn't feel like Forza Motorsport anymore, it feels quite odd.

I guess the earlier games were good. Apex and now this demo left me perplex as to how this series is so popular.

It would be a great car collecting game for me, but the physics absolutely make it unplayable if you are used to any other sim or used to driving a real car.

It's always odd that cars that are specifically designed to perform their best at the highest speeds in the the most demanding circumstance, in real life, play like they are ticking time bombs waiting to explode, in video games.

And the Porsche is in my very short list of cars actually driven in real life, so it´s even more absurd to me.

I have no idea what they were thinking.

If there´s a magic setup that makes this game playable on a wheel someone should post it.

Noobcraft

The Porsche seems pretty grippy and doesn't like to break loose. I think it's just a bad tune on the car tbh.

The GTR was a great drive though.

willbsn13

But even if you really liked FM6's handling, is that good or bad?

I think if you're buying these iterative games (goes for FIFA and such as well), don't you want the new one to do more things in the physics department. Otherwise it's just a roster and location update (and graphics a little bit too of course). Ok, they have ToD/weather scenarios, that's physics too, but back in the day GT and Forza always had something new to report on what they are simulating now that makes it much better than before.

I was more responding to some of the hardcore FM fans saying it doesn't feel like Forza, feels disconnected etc. I don't think (well atleast anecdotally) many hardcore FM fans were saying that about 6. And this feels more like a slight evolution of 6's physics rather than a big change. So that's why I was confused about the "it doesn't feel like Forza" comments.

But onto your actual point, I agree. T10 haven't really talked about new simulation effects in regards to things like tire models etc. I know things like driveline flex are in, but usually the big 1P racing game has some marketing about some new physics related feature. I guess not for FM7.

I think the lines between FM and FH are becoming a bit blurred in terms of physics, so for many this is probably a good thing, but I think FM taken too big a step in the direction of FH, and feels less satisfying to me.

The truck was probably the best, the GTR felt very wrong, especially when the track got wet(ter), and the less said about the Porsche the better.

I get that many might like it, but it's not for me, at least not at full price.

Graphically I think it's very good, I am surprised at the people saying it's bad, I can remember playing FM5 for the first time on the XBO, and thinking it didn't look that great, but 7 looks good from the off, and I liked the way the views felt dynamic, without feeling too "action movie" (like Shift did)

Fair enough. I also think it's not just physics that is getting blurred between FM and FH. Just look at the main menus.

dr_rus

I went with 2160p first off with MSAAX8, have tried all kinds of settings.
fP4c.jpg

Game fluctuates rapidly. Here all the cars have gone and it's still going from 33ms up to 100ms. This is with the CPU affinity set as well. Without it my CPU looks like yours maxed out on one core. Either way though the stutter is the same.

What I have noticed is when the game launches in window mode is seems smooth and good frametime and such (I know desktop will shift to 60hz), soon as I go full screen all hell breaks loose. The menus and the game are spiking like crazy.

It's not a good sign with your CPU that one core is still maxed out after all the shit with FH3 over 30fps. Even people with the latest CPUs at the time and DDR4 clocked to 3000mhz had sutters over 30fps. That one core pegged to max is the same we had in FH3.
In your screenshot neither the CPU nor GPU are in any way maxed out. Something weird going on there, probably some incompatibility with Bloomfield specifically, like issues with HT (you can check this by disabling it in BIOS btw) or something.

There's no difference between running in a window or fullscreen with UWP games. Fullscreen is just a monitor sized window with no borders there.

Welp this answers my question. Rather poor threading.
Yeah, seems like this haven't changed from FH3 and it looks like the latest patched version of FH3 as well.

Maybe this thread needs to be split into two... PC woes don't affect all players.
There's not really much else to discuss. The demo is three tracks with three cars (two actually, and one truck) and lots of advertisement like "buy now" "click here to buy" etc.

I personally thought that the graphics are pretty weak - beautiful artistically, no doubt, but nothing special from technical pov - but this is pretty much expected from an Xbox One game which has to run at 60 fps on OG XBO.

Sound seems great, handling is ok I'd say. Not much else to tell really. Oh, built-in benchmark is pure crap - too short and seems to measure framerates during loading or something judging from the lows it reports.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
The Porsche seems pretty grippy and doesn't like to break loose. I think it's just a bad tune on the car tbh.

The GTR was a great drive though.

The Porsche is hard to master in this build, when I tried it at E3 and GC it was much easier to drive, like if it was lighter. Here it seems too heavy.

fresquito

This is my first time with Forza and I must say I found the demo really underwhelming.

I don't get the physics here. They feel su muted, so lifeless. They don't feel organic at all, IMO. I find rain physics specially jarring. They make zero sense to me.

Graphics are good, like sound is, but I find they are too hollywood-like. They are there not to look or sound realistic, but to look and sound cool and I'm not finding them all that cool, to be honest. Nürburgring, for instance, it's all set up. I left the car standing still at the end of the race, and no change. No night, no less clouds, no nothing. It looks cool, yes, but I find it utterly unconvincing, like I'm playing a setting. Not necesarily what I look for when I'm doing a race. At least performance is great.

I guess this is good for people wanting fast controlled thrills, not for me.

Top Bottom