• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

Played on PC @1080p with graphics setting maxed out.

is it me or the graphics is meh....?

I don't think that the game deserves just a "meh".

I believe its strong point is the image quality and the weak point is the lighting.

Because of the lighting it feels flat. At least in the available conditions on the demo.

KageMaru

I don't think that the game deserves just a "meh".

I believe its strong point is the image quality and the weak point is the lighting.

Because of the lighting it feels flat. At least in the available conditions on the demo.

I thought the lighting looked great in HDR, especially during the storm.

Just for kicks, I downloaded the demo to see how well my laptop runs the game. (i7-4700HQ, 16 GB RAM and GTX 760M 2GB)

It's hopeless to get a constant 60 FPS even when set to minimum settings at 1280x720, but the laptop will happily run at medium settings (no AA, 4x AF, all settings set to medium except lens flare which is left off) targeting a constant 1080p30. It appears that it's very easily to reach a 30 FPS minimum target on the game on weak hardware.

Have to say, the game still controls relatively well on a laptop keyboard while being capped at 30 FPS. There is a bit of lag between presses and the car reacting to the input, but it's not half bad.

I thought the lighting looked great in HDR, especially during the storm.

It is good but it feels (to me at least) flat in comparison to Project CARS 2 for example.

I tried many rainy conditions in Project CARS 2 as I tried to replicate the Forza 7 demo conditions for a comparison in the Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off thread and the lighting is way more impressive (in my opinion).

But also Project CARS 2 is more demanding.

KageMaru

It is good but it feels (to me at least) flat in comparison to Project CARS 2 for example.

I tried many rainy conditions in Project CARS 2 as I tried to replicate the Forza 7 demo conditions for a comparison in the Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off thread and the lighting is way more impressive (in my opinion).

Yeah the lighting in PC2 is definitely more impressive, no doubts there.

In your comparison second gif graphics look much better than the first gif.

In your comparison second gif graphics look much better than the first gif.

Yeah sure, that is your opinion. To be honest I prefer the graphics of Project CARS 2.

Also keep in mind that I tried to replicate the conditions of the Forza 7 demo and not showcase the best graphics for each game.

Ravelle

Okay Microsoft store, Now you're just lying.

5HmHCOQ.png

thelastword

Banned
Crazy how the vanilla Xbox One can do 1080p60 rock solid
I don't see what's so crazy about that. XB1 always did Forza Motorsport at 1080p rock solid 60fps....It's one of the few 1080p 60fps titles on XB1 for a reason, and I don't see how you could have expected different on XB1.

Momentary

Banned
Yeah sure, that is your opinion. To be honest I prefer the graphics of Project CARS 2.

Also keep in mind that I tried to replicate the conditions of the Forza 7 demo and not showcase the best graphics for each game.

PCARS 2 also has better car models as well. They are more detailed than the ones in Forza 7. The wheels in the Forza Demo look horrendous. They look like they are floating in the wheel well since they don't show the wheel attached to the wheel hub. It looks so cartoony.

Forza 7 seems to look to have a better presentation and that Dubai environment's rocks look fantastic. Both games have the ups and downs when it comes to the graphics.

So the demo is not representative of the final product's graphical options? I guess I'll give it a purchase and if it still locks to 72FPS I'll refund it for false advertising.

frontieruk

I prefer the lighting on the car and the tyre spray in the first GIF, the 2nd GIF just gives a better overall composition with its particle effects, reflective surfaces and artistic license with the lighting on the stands imo

So the demo is not representative of the final product's graphical options? I guess I'll give it a purchase and if it still locks to 72FPS I'll refund it for false advertising.

Yea, to be honest I'm not sure. They say that it will be unlocked, but who really knows?

I'll be getting the game so if you're patient enough to wait a few hours, I can confirm if it does or doesn't.

Just finished my first session(about 30 min). Playing on PC with a wheel at 1080p: 980ti, i7 6700. Solid 60fps while racing throughout the demo, only exception was the intro, which stuttered a bit.

Gameplay feels very polished and I felt that there was a higher sense of speed compared to Forza 6. Not a graphics guy, but they do look pretty good. I'm pretty sure I can run this at 1440p with no problem, but I really don't care for it.

Not sure if I'd buy at full price, since I'm still playing Forza 6 occasionally.

KdotIX

Bit the bullet and went for the pre-order. Went for the Ultimate edition and feel dirty for doing so - but hopefully the early access will help me get over that. I had a blast with FM6 recently trying to get all the events done for that (still have Porsche and Nascar expansion to finish. Hoping to join in on some league sessions with the community here for FM7!

frontieruk

Bit the bullet and went for the pre-order. Went for the Ultimate edition and feel dirty for doing so - but hopefully the early access will help me get over that. I had a blast with FM6 recently trying to get all the events done for that (still have Porsche and Nascar expansion to finish. Hoping to join in on some league sessions with the community here for FM7!

We have a tournament usually about a month after launch so everyone is familiar with at least the bulk of the ribbons and it gives Zorbs and I some time to sort out times etc.

I'm really hoping the tournament feature of the dashboard is integrated as that is currently going to waste

Fredrik

Finally tried it on three screens and it's oh so lovely! 60fps pretty much all the time at 6000x1080 resolution, haven't seen stutters while gaming yet but the menu stutters a bit.
The camera option where you don't see the in-game steering wheel is awesome, I usually play with the hood cam in racers just to not have to see two steering wheels infront of me (game+real) but now I can finally use the cockpit view. Great! :)
A small clip, sorry about the crappy quality and driving
https://youtu.be/Z2px9orMgnQ

Gestault

I'm pretty sure I almost just killed my computer using the demo. I had the resolution set to 4K, and forced the render resolution to 200%, and was also capturing video. I could smell "hot" from my tower, and the rendering geometry flickered in and out.

DSN2K

what black magic are they using to get this running well at 4K on a 1060 !? perhaps im just not noticing the dynamic scaling but WOW.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I disagree with the few that feel the graphics are "meh". Crisp, clean, and very pleasing to the eye! And this is before Samsung's new 1440p/144Hz monitor arrives for me this week. I'm talkin' good, ol' fashioned, 1080p.

tuna_love

Banned
I'm pretty sure I almost just killed my computer using the demo. I had the resolution set to 4K, and forced the render resolution to 200%, and was also capturing video. I could smell "hot" from my tower, and the rendering geometry flickered in and out.
the hottest my cpu has ever got is in this game

Hawk269

Is there something wrong with the HDR brightness setting? The text doesn't disappear no matter what setting I have it on.

I have the same issue on my LG E7. If I change it from Game Mode to Standard Picture mode it works fine. Oddly, when I downloaded the demo on my PC, while in the same game mode, using the same HDMI input it worked fine, so it has to be something with the demo that makes that setting odd. In-game is looks fine, but the slider is definitely broken.

I loaded up FH3 on Xbox One S and the slider is perfect in that game using the same input and picture setting.

Hawk269

I heard some people said that they wish there was a third lap on the Nurb track so they could drive the course in that nice sunrise setting...Well if you stop anywhere on the track, I usually do it on the last turn before the end of Lap 1 and just wait a bit, the game will continue it's TOD cycle and then once it has you can race the track with that lighting with a small amount of water still on the track. It looks fantastic, especially in HDR.

Forza 7 ran pretty great for me (on a GTX 1080), but after I installed the Windows Creators Update, Forza Horizon 3 starting running like an '82 Pinto. After delivering a near constant 4k/60 fps, I started getting dips into the 40s. So goddamn frustrating.

Is there something wrong with the HDR brightness setting? The text doesn't disappear no matter what setting I have it on.
If it's anything like the regular brightness image then it should be ignored. Developers always put these 'make this invisible' images into their calibration screens and I'm pretty sure they're only applicable when using Limited levels assuming black and blacker-than-black can be made equal.

It may depend on your TV setting, and if you're using settings like dynamic contrast. If you have things like dynamic contrast and auto dimming, turn those off before you do the calibration, then turn them back on after if you prefer them.

On LG TVs like mine there's a new HDR game mode that really protest the highlights and on some games it means you can't blow out the highlights. Makes for a slightly darker image - but looks really detailed if playing in a darker room.

Reviews probably drop tomorrow right? With the release on friday. Believe that was the case with Gears and Horizon also.

Usually there's a timer on Opencritic. It's not there however. Hope the reviews drop soon. Very interested in which tracks are supported with dynamic weather and time of day.

Fbh

So might someone know why I'm having performance issues in the Demo?

I have a GTX 1050ti
16gb Ram
I7 770

According to the oficial System requirements I should be running this at 60fps, 1080p with decent graphics but even setting everything to medium it feels like its 30-40 fps at best (no way to know for sure because none of my FPS counting tools work on W10 store stuff)

With the game being 95gb I'm having a hard time justifying putting it on one of my SSDs. Did anyone experience issues in the demo with it installed to a mechanical HDD?

ghibli99

With the game being 95gb I'm having a hard time justifying putting it on one of my SSDs. Did anyone experience issues in the demo with it installed to a mechanical HDD?
I installed it on my WD 4TB Black at home, and it was fine. Load times seemed kind of long, but nothing ridiculous, and I didn't have any asset streaming issues during gameplay, which was my main concern after experiencing problems at work.

I installed it on my WD 4TB Black at home, and it was fine. Load times seemed kind of long, but nothing ridiculous, and I didn't have any asset streaming issues during gameplay, which was my main concern after experiencing problems at work.

Cool, I have a 1tb caviar black. Thanks.

nelo_inc

Enjoyed the demo, but not enough to make buy the game day-one.
I guess there's to much competion in the genre this season, will wait for the reviews.

Top Bottom