• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

I mean, even at 4K with MSAA FM7 shows aliasing in a few elements, what means the game is not full rendered at that resolution.

Source?

4K still comes with jaggies if you don't use some kind of AA. They're almost eliminated but never completely gone at 4K with no AA depending on the size of your screen.

Considering the game exposes its rendering resolution percentage as an option, I highly doubt that the game renders below native resolution if it's set to at least 100%.

MaLDo

Source?

4K still comes with jaggies if you don't use some kind of AA. They're almost eliminated but never completely gone at 4K with no AA depending on the size of your screen.

Considering the game exposes its rendering resolution percentage as an option, I highly doubt that the game renders below native resolution if it's set to at least 100%.

I said with MSAA. What I think is the game renders different elements at different resolutions.

I said with MSAA. What I think is the game renders different elements at different resolutions.

Sorry, I misread the MSAA part, but still, even MSAA will still have jaggies. Horizon on Xbox has 4xMSAA and is crystal clear but still has some jaggies.

Only at 4K with 8xMSAA (on a 24" 1080p monitor using DSR) do I fail to see any aliasing myself. There's nothing I've seen that suggests anything (besides alpha particles under dynamic/low settings) renders at a different res.

Off topic: Does anyone know if any of the following has been announced:

1. Will there be a preload?
2. If yes, when will it be?
3. Is the game a midnight launch/unlock for the Sept 29th early access?

Long time FM fan here, been playing since the very first one on Xbox. No offense to anybody, but having to wade through all these posts about graphics cards/drivers, fps performance for whatever pc setup and bitching about the Windows store is really annoying.
Is there a chance we can have a thread where we can talk about the game itself and how it plays/feels compared to previous entries?
You can use the search option to find what you're looking for, which is what exactly?

Luckydog

Reading through the thread, it feels like most of the people discussing FFB issues are using wheels on the PC. Are people having the same issues on the XBO with regards to FFB?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You must be mis-reading the posts. I have read repeatedly in Xbox threads that having an Xbox is useless now because PC gaming is error free, plug and play like a console, is really the master race expierience......
/s

it is not more plug and play, but you still can play earlier, because loading times are muuuuuch faster than on Xbox One :p

MobiusHuan

Neo Member
I just tried the demo and literally no issues (1060 6gb, i7-6700, 16gb RAM, installed on HDD). There was some hitching during the video playback in menus though.

I join the club that thinks the Porsche does not handle very well. It just understeers so much... The R35 is just a dream to drive, on the other hand.

But my overall first impression is very poor. I loved the cinematic and elegant style that both Forza 5 and 6 had, and I LOVED the action movie-like music during the races. In exchange, we got some trashy instrumental and totally forgetable rock in the background... Reminds me of the TERRIBLE soundtrack that Forza 1 had back in the day (Sorry, Junkie XL. You are awesome but it just dindn't fil).

Graphics-wise, the race at Nürburgring is a sight to behold, but the others not so much. I find disappointing how little has this game improved on car damage too.

The last Forza I thoroughly played and loved was Forza 3, and since I don't have an Xbox One I was eagerly awaiting for this new entry on PC. Sadly enough, it way below my expectations and I will probably wait for a good sale or just get one of Horizon 3 expansion packs.

dr_rus

Fullscreen UWP applications can bypass the compositor, allowing you to disable V-Sync, while windows cannot.
With the Creators Update, Microsoft also added support for this mode to many older games as well. I hope they can make this universal at some point, as it gives you the benefits of both fullscreen and borderless mode.

You're confusing two different things here:

A. The ability for a UWP app to "tear" which is the same as running without vsync. I'm not 100% sure here but I don't see why this ability would be limited to fullscreen mode only.

B. Emulated exclusive fullscreen for some D3D11 applications which is what your link is about and which is basically forces these games to run in a borderless window when they request exclusive fullscreen.

Luckydog

it is not more plug and play, but you still can play earlier, because loading times are muuuuuch faster than on Xbox One :p

As I read through threads like this, I see that many PC players have the same issue I do. If there ARE options to change and mess with, they WILL change and mess with them. In some cases more than actually playing a game. I know I can get so caught up in trying to get it "just a little better" that I never stop messing with drivers, settings, files, etc.

Admittedly it is totally my fault. It is why I usually only play sim or strat games on PC as performance is generally not as difficult as with a FPS or racing game.

Games like Kerbal Space Program get the best of both worlds. I can endlessly fiddle with launches and orbits to get the perfect launch/orbit while actually playing the game.

With racers like Forza, I'm willing to take SOME less picture quality to ease the process of playing and limit my ability to futz. I'll overpay for a console like the XOX so I can maximize picture quality, while not adding complexity for just start and go like PC can.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
As I read through threads like this, I see that many PC players have the same issue I do. If there ARE options to change and mess with, they WILL change and mess with them. In some cases more than actually playing a game. I know I can get so caught up in trying to get it "just a little better" that I never stop messing with drivers, settings, files, etc.

Admittedly it is totally my fault. It is why I usually only play sim or strat games on PC as performance is generally not as difficult as with a FPS or racing game.

Games like Kerbal Space Program get the best of both worlds. I can endlessly fiddle with launches and orbits to get the perfect launch/orbit while actually playing the game.

With racers like Forza, I'm willing to take SOME less picture quality to ease the process of playing and limit my ability to futz. I'll overpay for a console like the XOX so I can maximize picture quality, while not adding complexity for just start and go like PC can.

Less picture quality, longer loadings and the most important, more input lag, because you can't disable shitty Vsync on XB. Vsync can go to hell...

Paragon

You're confusing two different things here:
A. The ability for a UWP app to "tear" which is the same as running without vsync. I'm not 100% sure here but I don't see why this ability would be limited to fullscreen mode only.
Right, but that is a new presentation mode which was added to Windows 10, that allows "borderless fullscreen" applications to bypass the compositor and tear.
If you disable V-Sync in a game using the standard borderless window presentation mode, it will unlock the framerate but it will not tear since the frames are being passed through the desktop compositor.
So it acts like borderless mode for things like fast switching between apps, but like fullscreen mode for being able to bypass the compositor and tear.

B. Emulated exclusive fullscreen for some D3D11 applications which is what your link is about and which is basically forces these games to run in a borderless window when they request exclusive fullscreen.
What's happening is that these games are being promoted to using the new presentation mode that all DX12 UWP apps use by default.
Both fullscreen and windowed mode are affected. Fullscreen switches much faster, if there is no display mode switching (resolution/refresh rate), and borderless can bypass the compositor.

dugdug

Banned
Is anyone here playing this on Xbox One S? Seems like every page is full of PC players.

The load times are brutal on XB1S! I assume they'll be improved with XB1X, but, I'm not getting one of those any time soon.

spanna

Was going to buy an xb1x solely for forza7. Played the demo on PC and am now not going to get an xb1x at all or f7 on launch. I can happily wait till it goes on sale.

Really disappointed. I was fully expecting to be wowed by it but wasn't at all. Oh well.

frontieruk

What settings are you using?

Because with traction and stability control on it handles great.

The Porsche in it would like to say Noooooo to that statement, the understeering with traction control on is ridiculous.

Someone mentioned spins? I'm guessing this is on Dubai? Happens at the top of the hill and just after the sand blowing across the track before the tunnel?

It's because of undulations in the track and making players making adjustments preparing for the upcoming turn as you hit them the car gets air then snatches horribly as it regains traction.

Is anyone here playing this on Xbox One S? Seems like every page is full of PC players.

The load times are brutal on XB1S! I assume they'll be improved with XB1X, but, I'm not getting one of those any time soon.

I debated putting the demo on one of my SSD's, and I'm glad I did now. I heard the load times are rough on an HDD too on PC. Must be loading a ton of data with those super detailed tracks...they look outstanding though.

Gek54

Big nope to the Ferrari 458 edition over the Leather. That Ferrari 458 rim is jank, the Leather rim is quality.

what's the best wheel to buy (pc) ? i've never used a wheel for a racing game but would like one for this.

I would say spend the extra money on a fanatec wheel or the thrustmaster ts pc wheel. The cheaper wheels are ok, but spend the extra couple hundred for a better experience.

http://wccftech.com/turn-10-forza-motorsport-7-one-core/amp/

Turn 10 Confirms That Forza Motorsport 7 Intentionally Runs Mostly on One Core.

Some users may notice that the game utilizes nearly 100% of one of their processor cores. This is expected behavior; we intentionally run in this manner so we can react as fast as possible in order to minimize input latency. Users on power-constrained devices, such as laptops and tablets, might want to use a Performance Target of “30 FPS (V-SYNC),” which will reduce processor usage and minimize power consumption.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Are they for real?

This is new news, news thread worthy. 100% bullshit.
Yes this is really disgusting...
Makes me wonder if this is some scheme to make the xbox one x version come out the winner.
Maybe im tripping but this is the first thing that popped in to my head..

Also makes all those pr talk about build from the ground up for pc etc really extra disgusting...

frontieruk

Hi guys,

In prep for Forza 7 I've just been through the request list for membership to Forza GAF, we've got 23 requests that I can't tie to a GAF member.

As such I'm going to reject all of them, I apologise to any legit requests but as the admins asked to be notified and there are six of us or you havent added yourself to the spreadsheet mentioned here...

Alright boys and girls of ForzaGAF, I have the spreadsheet ready! I removed all the old info, so you are going to have to re-add yourself.

Quote this post to see the link and then add in your info!

If you want adding please drop one of us a line via pm on GAF

Gestault
Zorbsie
Noobcraft
RawNuts
SkinnerSw33t
Frontieruk

Cross posting for potential new members

Reading through the thread, it feels like most of the people discussing FFB issues are using wheels on the PC. Are people having the same issues on the XBO with regards to FFB?

The default force feedback values do not make for a very convincing drive, a few seconds of tweaking can give far better results than any FM has in the past. There's a chance they could get better via a patch too but for now things work ok.

OrangeOak

Finally played the demo. I am really happy with how it plays, sounds and looks. Performance on PC is also great for me. 4k 60fps and no stuttering in gameplay. I was afraid it will stutter like FH3 in its early days and I can't stand stutter but this demo is smooth for me.
I thought that I will skip that one as I barely played Forza 6 but I may buy it now.

shandy706

As a day one buyer of Forza from 1-6...

..there is definitely something wrong with the Porsche. The physics and the steering are completely off. You shouldn't lose traction going through an easy curve at 50-60 miles per hour with your foot off the gas and brake. I have a hard time explaining how bad the car feels compared to previous Forzas.

The steering also seems to be barely there for like the first third of the joysticks range. I'm in the middle of moving and don't have my seat setup, but I would think that would really mess with wheels.

The Nissan, on the other hand, drives and handles incredibly well. In fact the Nissan feels like what Forza should feel like.

What's up with that Porsche Turn10?! I raced with the assist off and it felt nothing like anything I've ever driven in Forza 6, and I've poured hundreds of hours into unassisted racing in it.

Everything else is beautiful as far as the game goes.

dr_rus

Right, but that is a new presentation mode which was added to Windows 10, that allows "borderless fullscreen" applications to bypass the compositor and tear.
If you disable V-Sync in a game using the standard borderless window presentation mode, it will unlock the framerate but it will not tear since the frames are being passed through the desktop compositor.
So it acts like borderless mode for things like fast switching between apps, but like fullscreen mode for being able to bypass the compositor and tear.

Sure but why do you keep saying "borderless"? There's no difference for a DX11 app running in a window between borderless and bordered. I assume that it's the same for UWP apps or those few DX11 titles which are running in "emulated exclusive fullscreen" (I'm not so sure that it's the same mode which is used by UWP apps). At the very least, it's not a problem to have some app tear in a window on Win10 and I'm pretty sure that these apps do not use any new presentation mode.

The steering also seems to be barely there for like the first third of the joysticks range. I'm in the middle of moving and don't have my seat setup, but I would think that would really mess with wheels.

There's quite a big deadzone set. Makes a big difference going in and changing it.

Is it not possible to enable HDR on windows while in 4k? The option is stuck on off for me. I can only toggle it to on at a lower resolution like 1080p.

Also, I can't seem to run the demo anymore. Once I hit A on the title screen, the music stops for a few seconds then the game just closes. It was working fine yesterday.

What drivers are you on? Most current?

PC 8K feedback.

Settings: 8K, ultra, 2xMSAA and high quality anisotropic filtering from Nvidia drivers.

Hardware: 1080Ti Strix, 4790K, 16GB RAM.

Benchmark: 53 FPS average.

On the Nürburgring with the rain the performance is good except from the puddles. Big frames drop there.

Update with in-game results from Afterburner (Tip: if the Forza 7 demo crashes at the start with the latest beta of Afterburner and Rivatuner press alt+enter on the Turn10 logo to go full screen and it will start without an issue).

Again the settings: 8K, everything on ultra and only the wet reflections on high, 2xMSAA and also high quality anisotropic filtering from Nvidia drivers.

Porsche - Dubai: Very close to locked 60 FPS. Some minor drops of 2-3 FPS.

Truck - Mugello: Nearly perfect locked 60 FPS. I noticed 1-2 drops of 1-2 FPS.

Nissan GTR - Nürburgring (Rain): Very close to locked 60 FPS. Only on the puddles drops to 53-55 FPS.

GPU usage ~70% on dry tests and ~80% on the rain, spikes to 100%. VRAM usage ~7GB. CPU usage ~30%.

I think that if someone wants 8K/60 can achieve that with a single 1080Ti and ultra/high settings.

Momentary

Banned
Update with in-game results from Afterburner (Tip: if the Forza 7 demo crashes at the start with the latest beta of Afterburner and Rivatuner press alt+enter on the Turn10 logo to go full screen and it will start without an issue).

Again the settings: 8K, everything on ultra and only the wet reflections on high, 2xMSAA and also high quality anisotropic filtering from Nvidia drivers.

Porsche - Dubai: Very close to locked 60 FPS. Some minor drops of 2-3 FPS.

Truck - Mugello: Nearly perfect locked 60 FPS. I noticed 1-2 drops of 1-2 FPS.

Nissan GTR - Nürburgring (Rain): Very close to locked 60 FPS. Only on the puddles drops to 53-55 FPS.

GPU usage ~70% on dry tests and ~80% on the rain, spikes to 100%. VRAM usage ~7GB. CPU usage ~30%.

I think that if someone wants 8K/60 can achieve that with a single 1080Ti and ultra/high settings.

Is the game really running at 8K? That is taxing even for simple looking games. Are you selecting the "run at native desktop resolution" option instead? 8K should be a slide show. I can barely run DARIUSBURST at 8K without slowdown on my system. I'll have to check this out when I get home tomorrow. Best way to tell if the game is runningnat 8K is just take a screenshot.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
runs perfect 1440p maxxed all on a i7 gtx 1060 6gb
sometimes menu stutters racing is prefect

but man what a boring game

MaLDo

Sure but why do you keep saying "borderless"? There's no difference for a DX11 app running in a window between borderless and bordered. I assume that it's the same for UWP apps or those few DX11 titles which are running in "emulated exclusive fullscreen" (I'm not so sure that it's the same mode which is used by UWP apps). At the very least, it's not a problem to have some app tear in a window on Win10 and I'm pretty sure that these apps do not use any new presentation mode.

I read somewhere that nvidia driver monitorizes the border style to apply different optimizations to the application.

Is the game really running at 8K? That is taxing even for simple looking games. Are you selecting the "run at native desktop resolution" option instead? 8K should be a slide show. I can barely run DARIUSBURST at 8K without slowdown on my system. I'll have to check this out when I get home tomorrow. Best way to tell if the game is runningnat 8K is just take a screenshot.

Yes, why not?

Sadly the demo doesn't support DSR but there is a resolution scale option.

I can choose 3840x2160 (my native TV resolution) and 200% for the resolution scale option.

Screenshots are 4K as the game downsampling from 8K to 4K.

A single 1080Ti can achieve 8K/30 in Forza Horizon 3 and this is a more demanding open world racing game.

BraXzy

Installed this last night, it crashed after hitting enter at the initial menu screen.

Just tried again, same deal. Is there a simple fix?

Arc07

Installed this last night, it crashed after hitting enter at the initial menu screen.

Just tried again, same deal. Is there a simple fix?
If I spam alt+enter immediately after pressing enter it works for me. I don't even know anymore.

Paragon

Sure but why do you keep saying "borderless"? There's no difference for a DX11 app running in a window between borderless and bordered. I assume that it's the same for UWP apps or those few DX11 titles which are running in "emulated exclusive fullscreen" (I'm not so sure that it's the same mode which is used by UWP apps).
Fullscreen borderless windows can bypass the compositor. Windows which are not fullscreen, or which have another window overlaying them, cannot.
Every game that uses the new fullscreen optimizations is upgraded to using this new presentation mode by default.
You may be right about it not being exactly the same as the DX12 mode, but it's not just "fullscreen emulation". Even the NVIDIA drivers treat it like a true fullscreen application if you have G-Sync set to fullscreen only, and not fullscreen+windowed. This behavior changes depending on whether the fullscreen optimzations are active or not.

At the very least, it's not a problem to have some app tear in a window on Win10 and I'm pretty sure that these apps do not use any new presentation mode.
Unless you've forcibly disabled the DWM process, that's not supposed to happen. Windows 8 and above do not allow you to disable it through normal means.
In Windows 7, I believe an Application could temporarily disable the DWM.

Momentary

Banned
Yes, why not?

Sadly the demo doesn't support DSR but there is a resolution scale option.

I can choose 3840x2160 (my native TV resolution) and 200% for the resolution scale option.

Screenshots are 4K as the game downsampling from 8K to 4K.

A single 1080Ti can achieve 8K/30 in Forza Horizon 3 and this is a more demanding open world racing game.

The demo does support DSR. You have to set your desktop to the resolution you want the game to render at.... which in this case is 7680x4320. You can use CustomDSRTool to force DSR to create 8K resolution. If you're using a 1440p monitor the factor is 9.00.

In the game go to the resolution option and choose to render at desktop resolution. It's past the lowest resolution option that you can choose in the game. I would do this myself, but won't be back home until in the morning.

As a day one buyer of Forza from 1-6...

..there is definitely something wrong with the Porsche. The physics and the steering are completely off. You shouldn't lose traction going through an easy curve at 50-60 miles per hour with your foot off the gas and brake. I have a hard time explaining how bad the car feels compared to previous Forzas.

The Nissan, on the other hand, drives and handles incredibly well. In fact the Nissan feels like what Forza should feel like.

What's up with that Porsche Turn10?! I raced with the assist off and it felt nothing like anything I've ever driven in Forza 6, and I've poured hundreds of hours into unassisted racing in it.

Everything else is beautiful as far as the game goes.

I think its the track not the car.

There is a ton of undulation on almost every turn. If you dont have assist on the car being so powerful makes it almost impossible unless you take the perfect line on every turn. I bet if you drove it on another track it would be more manageable with assist off.

Top Bottom