• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 demo is now live for Xbox One and W10

Alebelly

I saw some footage and immediately noticed that awful shaking cam. You d'expect something like that in NFS or something but in a game that pretends to be a sim?

There will be an option in the full game to turn this off or not? Because yeah, dealbreaker.

option to turn it off is under HUD, that camera bobbing was killing me

Klocker

Feels like driving on ice at Dubai.

yea that was weird, the Nissan demo felt a little better. reminds me what I don't like about the driving model (controller)

also, again HDR on X1S is really well done, maybe the best of that I have seen so far on it

GMAK2442

Run like crap on my PC but anyway I say it make some sense. Nice feelings.

But I rather stay in Project Car which is more my style.

Anyone getting really big framerate drops? I've done the benchmark a couple times now and my FPS is around 80 average but I get drops into the single digits!

I wouldn't put too much stock into the in-game benchmark, it doesn't appear to be indicative of actual gameplay performance, in my experience.

ISee

For people saying it runs sweet at X resolution - you are aware it runs dynamic settings by default and adjusts to maintain a target framerate?

Of course, but you can deactivate all dynamic settings.
I'm not surprised by people reporting good results tbh. The highest I've seen was ~75% GPU load on my GTX 1080 at 4k/60/4xMSAA/max non dynamic settings. This demo isn't very taxing, while it manages to look good. I've encountered a strange fps drop during one race though, so there is still some work to be done.

fm7yms7c.png

Anyone getting really big framerate drops? I've done the benchmark a couple times now and my FPS is around 80 average but I get drops into the single digits!

I'm getting down to ~20fps during the first second of the benchmark (loading issue). So if you don't see anything weird during the race it's probably that.

Downloading on PC now. How's the ultrawide support? FH3 had some weird glitching at the edges of the screen for some reason.

Yeah, I started it up on my PC monitor (1920x1200 res, 7700K CPU with GTX 1080) and was surprised to see 3840x2160p as default resolution.

Is it my old Xbox 360 controller or is it normal that the Porsche is kind of "heavy" to drive.

Skyr

How do I uncap the framerate, 60 isn't smooth enough. Running everything at dynamic 1080p on a 1080GTX.

You can't in the demo. You will be able to in the full game.

I'm in the same boat. Aiming for 100fps minimum gSync

fast_taker

The demo looks awesome on win10. For those interested in purchasing the game you can get it from russian store with 30$ for the standard edition. You will need to find and purchase russian gift cards though.. (hint: nilt.ru is a great site to get them)

Mascot

Man, I just do not like these physics and ffb. I used to love Forza too. Was it always like this? There's no weight to the vehicles, no feeling of connection with the track surface.

My own personal port report: Graphics are very, VERY nice and it runs super well on my PC. It supports ultrawide once racing, and I seem to hover between 95-100fps with a gtx 1080 OC'd. HOWEVER, there was one moment in the race where it dropped to 3fps or so for about 3 seconds, before getting back to normal. I also noticed that every 4 to 5 seconds, the framerate counter on my monitor would very rapidly show about 75 or 80, then immediately get back up to 95-100fps. I couldn't feel it with gsync as such but if my performance was lower, I'm certain I'd notice the slight hitching.

It also doesn't help that it just doesn't 'feel' as fun as FH3, so I've decided it isn't for me. Uninstalled the demo, though SUPER grateful that they supplied one at all, it's a great move. Hope forza fans find a lot of enjoyment in the full release!

Mohasus

Welp, some big drops every now and then. I'm skipping this one.

Specs for reference:
i7 7700, GTX970, 16GB 2400MHz, Samsung 840 EVO.

Alebelly

Yeah, I started it up on my PC monitor (1920x1200 res, 7700K CPU with GTX 1080) and was surprised to see 3840x2160p as default resolution.

Is it my old Xbox 360 controller or is it normal that the Porsche is kind of "heavy" to drive.

Porsche drove like a tank, Nissan was fun to drive

Windows 10 store never fails to not impress.

When I click on install, the store app instantly crashes.

Updated Windows 10 and everything.

Come on Microsoft, get your act together. Reminds me of the crazy Gears 4 download problems last year.

I took out my USB external hard drive and now it can download the demo without crashing the app store. Oh Microsoft. Getting some nice download speeds tho, 70mb/second plus.

Download seems fine. Not the fastest around but ok.

GN4c.png

Just 35.5 Mb/s here

Nearly done though.

Updating to the latest creator update was a pain in the arse, downloading the installer then to downloading the update then installing the update and endless restarts.

Skyr

Disabling core 0 in the task manager does eliminate the few hitches I had.
Same deal as in horizon 3 as it seems.

Right is from the pre race intro I assume ?
I don't think even the xb1x version uses lod0 models in-game, weird they didn't include the option on PC though, I think Apex and FH3 had it.
Probably a demo thing though

As far as I know, any point where the game runs at 60 on console is using in-game models. The points where it runs at 30 is where it uses the autovista models. The bit I capped for the screenshot on the right is from the 60FPS bit where the camera pans around the car before the countdown. I don't think it swaps models at that point otherwise it'd be really noticeable.

Another thing is that you can see the AI cars are also one step lower detail on PC. Watch on any XB1X gameplay vid (on Dubai) where the player is near the yellow Aston Vantage, then compare that to how the same Vantage looks on PC. On PC it looks like its panel gaps are drawn on, as if the AI cars are using LOD2 where they should be using LOD1 (and the player using LOD1 where they should be using LOD0).

Qassim

Yeah - there isn't any unlocked fps mode (yet) as stated in the release notes. I'm capped at 72fps on my 144Hz monitor when setting to 'dynamic'.

farisr

Loved how it looked and ran on my PC. Love the lighting for once in a FM game, and liked the weather effects too. Not feeling the driving unfortunately (yes I tried tinkering out with the various settings and what not), which sucks because this would've been such an easy pick up in place of a certain other game coming out next month that is turning out to be super disappointing content wise. Will still be picking this up over that, but not anytime soon.

Poppyseed

This is why I want the demo, I have the UE on order, I have the feeling that this is going to be how Forza Horizon 2 was on the X360, which is why I ended up getting a Xbox One for the game (I did get the console at a huge discount though) but I won't be getting a Xbox S or Xbox X for this, I would have been happy with Forza Horizon 3 graphics, there wasn't anything wrong with Forza 6 imo.

I can tell you that FH3 looks 20x better than FH7 on XBOX One.

xrnzaaas

Demo was nice. The game plays and looks very good on the OG Xbox. Shame we don't have replays in the demo, but I'm definitely closer to buying the game than I was prior to playing the demo.

One thing I noticed is that everything is louder than in Forza 6. I'm playing using headphones and the cockpit cam and the Nissan was very loud. I like that but I don't like the crashing sound. Dubai and Mugello look great but the tire barriers are very noticeable in Mugello. They should really work on a proper penalty system. Also I hope that the full game will have more AI settings. Four settings is laughably low number. High skilled is too low for me on the tracks that I know and pro is too high.

SliChillax

Loved how it looked and ran on my PC. Love the lighting for once in a FM game, and liked the weather effects too. Not feeling the driving unfortunately (yes I tried tinkering out with the various settings and what not), which sucks because this would've been such an easy pick up in place of a certain other game coming out next month that is turning out to be super disappointing content wise. Will still be picking this up over that, but not anytime soon.

I agree. I really hate sounding like a hater, but playing on a controller the GT2 RS felt like ass. There is no steering feedback at all, I feel like the car never turns as much as I want it to. I played with all assists off and on, tried everything and I didn't like how it felt. It feels like I'm driving on ice most of the time and no this isn't a case of me being bad at racing games, I've been playing sims forever, the game just felt awful. I tried tinkering with the advanced controller settings but I don't have too much patience for that. I didn't bother doing the other 2 races, immediately uninstalled the demo. I remember Forza being better than this, last Motosport game I played was 4.

ss_lemonade

How heavy is the game when it comes to CPU usage? I have an oc'ed 3570k paired with a 1080 ti, hopefully that's still good enough for 4k

Hwoar

Since there is also wheel and FFB talk here. I am pretty new to racing with a wheel, but I was able to setup some other games OK. In this demo when I put my wheel on 900 degrees I can see the wheels moving in outside view over the full degrees, but in cockpit view I can only see 180 degrees of movement? What am I doing wrong here? (possible noob question?)

Sky87

Still maxing Core 1, the rest not so much. So yeah, if you had problems with Horizon 3 before the Hot Wheels expansion patch, you'll most likely have problems here.

Not nearly as bad for me. I'm running with far higher settings (4k vs 1080p) and it's still running smoothly. Before FH3 got fixed, it dropped down to low 40's in Surfers at 1080p.

LoveCake

I can tell you that FH3 looks 20x better than FH7 on XBOX One.

Yes FH3 looks better than FM7, but FM7 does look a little better than FM6.

FH3 is much brighter due to the landscape, I think that that have gone to Dubai because the landscape is more limited, but it depends on the city races, the actual race circuits in FM games has always been a little lacking, I don't think the tracks in the demo show this game off in its best light (hopefully).

I have played all three races in the demo and the Porsche one is the worst, I had normal brakes, ABS and TCS on and there were no brakes, the Nissan one was more like the old FM I love and I really liked the truck racing.

Overall the graphics are fine for me, I am only on 1080p and it's not as bad as FH2 was on the X360 compared to how it was on the Xbox One.

Adry9

Just tried the demo. A few things.

1. Love how you can set the resolution, frame rate plus some graphic options the way you want and leave others in dynamic mode. For example: I want 1080p/60fps with MSAA x8 and Ultra textures, the rest I'll take what I can get. More PC games should do this.

2. MSAA x8 on a 1080p screen does wonders, a must if your PC can handle it.

3. Can someone at Turn 10 explain to me how a RWD Nissan GT-R is easier to handle under HEAVY RAIN than a 911 on a hot track?

Alexious

You have to enable HDR in the windows settings.
I also had to disable the Nvidia display settings first.
HDR on the Dubai track is nice.

I have many LOD popins from other cars, hope this gets fixed in the final version.
The main menu is a bit laggy and the GPU usage goes to 99-100%, also in the Pit before the start.
Everything is fine during the race. 75 - 90% GPU Usage.
4K everything ultra/high 60 FPS V-Sync.
i7 6700K OC
GTX 1070 OC

Need to test my TX Wheel tommorrow.

Oh and for the Cointroller drivers:
Set the Deadzones in the setting right, I think they are set too high.
I have gas, break, steering 0-100.

I am ready for the 29th =D

Enabling HDR in Windows Settings still gives me wrong colors with the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview....

Xyber

I might as well just have a dual core CPU, because the game seems to ignore my other 10 threads.. :p

A bit frustrating to see the game sit at 50-60% in GPU usage during the races and only get ~80FPS. I would love to get so many more frames on my 165Hz monitor, but unless they ever fix the CPU optimization in this engine that just won't happen. =/

Like, apart from whatever CPU issues it is that is holding my GPU back the game looks and runs great. To get 80+FPS with everything maxed out at 4K (Yes, I have disabled all the dynamic options and set render resolution to 100%) is still great consider how good the game looks, but it could be so much smoother. :(

LoveCake

There is a lot of PC players here, which has surprised me, I hope that Turn10 have got there act together and you don't have the same issues as you did with Horizon 3.

Here I am on my Sunset Overdrive edition Xbox One, which is the lowest spec that FM7 will run on.

I do urge anyone one with issues to join the Official Forza Community and post the issues you have there as they are pretty good and really need the feedback to get any issues sorted out especially on the PC, one piece of advice though do not go crazy on the forum as bans can be instant.

Top Bottom