• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 - Review thread

"After reviewing Forza 6 and experiencing a deep, nagging feeling that the game simply wasn’t very enjoyable, Forza Motorsport 7 is a very welcome surprise. If ever there was suspicion that Turn 10 Studios would focus on making the best-looking showcase for Xbox One X at the expense of making a truly great racing game (and fixing the problems of its predecessor), then we feel bad for entertaining that idea. " - GamesRadar

Having watched/played other recent racers, I don't think any of them compare to FM7 at 4k as an overall package.

Get that OP updated, starting to come in now :p
This gives me hope. Fm6 was boring af...
Fm7 Demo felt like a graphics showcase nothing more, really hope thia game hooks me in like fm2 did. Last forza game i really enjoyed.( Have them all from fm1 to horizon 3, and fm7 is preorderd). If this gave feels like horizon 3 and fm6 did(boring) then it done for me. Ita now or never for forza for me. Glad i only paid 50 euros for ultimate edition...

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Do you feel smart for comments like this?

I feel sad.

Drive by posting will drive by.

Question: Is it meant to be a sim?

Real cars on real laser scanned tracks. What this tells you about how the physics should be?

Over the course of the past decade, what have they done to give the impression that T10 wants to make this a sim? Its not. At best they lean toward appearing to be a sim while still focusing on fun. That would be like me coming in here and saying "Is it a MOBA yet? No? Call me when its a MOBA."

Are you saying Sim = not fun?

leeh

Urgh I hate that Xbox reddit, brimming with obnoxious fanboys who vote down anything that isn't ass kissing.
Right, so that's my the most upvoted comments under the top comment are calling T10 lazy.

The X1 subreddit is pretty good IMO. They call shit out when it needs to be.

The dichotomy of a game being a sim or not is an incorrect way of looking at things and causes much confusion. Forza Motorsport is, and always has been, a good sim game. However, it is important to realize they aren't attempting to simulate everything. For example, race series rules/flag system, detailed pit strategies, and others have never been in the game and probably won't. Some will claim this makes it not sim, or arcade, or simcade by default. However, the actual vehicle modeling and physics are very good. That is the simulation element forza focuses on. The actual racing. I would argue the Xbox one iterations are much better than GT6 in this regard.

I agree with this statement.

Hawk269

The demo on Xbox One S was fantastic. Go and load up Forza 6, the Nurb GP track in the rain and play it for a few laps, then load up Forza 7 Demo of the same track. Night and day difference, especially the IQ. Turn 10 being able to extract that much improvement on the original Xbox One is praise worthy.

Now we just need them to make pit stops not look like a train wreck. BTW....This comment about Pit Stops I make happens every 2 years in the Review thread for as long as there has been review threads for main-line Forza games. Pit stops have progressively been worse with every version of the game, with the best, if you can call it that in the very first Forza Motorsport. This one in F7 gives a little more info when leaving the pit box like what happened, but it is clearly still really bad compared to what other racing games are doing. I would love to hit the pit lane and tell the pit crew that I only want fuel or right side tires...something as simple as that. The other bitch I have is, how is that a car that is almost 100% damaged can go into the pit box and spend the same amount of time as a car that only needs fuel???

Gestault

So what about the missing ultrawide 21:9 support from the demo???

It's definitely there, though it's in gameplay, not menus (just make sure resolution is set to native). When I tested, even my older 16:10 monitor had its native aspect ratio matched without needing to make any changes. They handled the implementation well.

katsais

To be fair, polygon are partially funded by Microsoft and even they held off scoring it yet. Demo was great so I wouldn't be surprised by high 9s across the board.

The xboxox needs a killer app, a lot of pressure is on turn 10 to deliver.

Oh snap. I didn’t know that Polygon was partially funded by Microsoft? Isn’t The Verge a sister site of Polygon? This kinda puts their creditbility at risk IMO. Good to know.

Anyhow, I might be getting this game with my XOX. Definitely waiting on impressions first...but it looks awesome.

WHM-6R

Neo Member
Oh snap. I didn’t know that Polygon was partially funded by Microsoft? Isn’t The Verge a sister site of Polygon? This kinda puts their creditbility at risk IMO. Good to know.

Anyhow, I might be getting this game with my XOX. Definitely waiting on impressions first...but it looks awesome.

They aren't, that's a myth.

Polygon isn't partially fundes by Microsoft, that accusation should be a bannable offense by now. Polygon has gave plenty PLENTY of ms games bad reviews

blakep267

You didn't bother to read further down the page did you

For some fanboys every site that gives more than 7 to a Microsoft first party is funded by Microsoft. Hard to take that shit seriously.

Wagram

Pretty strange that we're in an era where the only console exclusive games on Xbox that are 90+ metacritic are Forza games. Team behind them is pretty good.

I feel sad.

Real cars on real laser scanned tracks. What this tells you about how the physics should be?

Forza is what it is. If you're looking for a deep, car simulator, there are other options out there. This is like asking why Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle is not as complex as a classic D&D game.

Luckydog

I feel sad.

From a certain point of view. I, like many people may find the challenge of a controlling a very realistic race car around a track "fun". Most would not. I think Forza Motorsport seems to try and walk a line between making it very realistic without being painful to the mainstream. Folks who invest the money in a good wheel setup want that higher end challenge as fun, it just seems T10 has not wanted to provide that for a long time. To Be fair though, they bill this as a racer for everyone, not just the hardcore regardless of if it has "motorsport" in the name.

Pretty strange that we're in an era where the only console exclusive games on Xbox that are 90+ metacritic are Forza games. Team behind them is pretty good.

There is some sad truth here. I fuckin love Forza but I wish MS would get more legit exclusives.

thelastword

Banned
Thank you for reinforcing the exact point I was making.
Tbf, this recent sentiment that Forza is not a sim is yes, recent.....I think that came up in the demo thread only because more PC folk are now playing Forza...I have always been saying that it's leaning more towards arcade games than sim, and there was always something wonky about forza physics, even on the Original XB....Cars never really felt that they were weighty then, and not much has changed now....I think now that the recent entries gives so many assists as default, rewind, obtrusive racing lines... and it seems that the environments and cars don't look as real and authentic as other racers really adds to it...Notwithstanding, a lack of ATD, like the missing pit crew etc...I just think Forza is targeting a different demographic here, than pure sim-racing.

KageMaru

Tbf, this recent sentiment that Forza is not a sim is yes, recent.....I think that came up in the demo thread only because more PC folk are now playing Forza...I have always been saying that it's leaning more towards arcade games than sim, and there was always something wonky about forza physics, even on the Original XB....Cars never really felt that they were weighty then, and not much has changed now....I think now that the recent entries gives so many assists as default, rewind, obtrusive racing lines... and it seems that the environments and cars don't look as real and authentic as other racers really adds to it...Notwithstanding, a lack of ATD, like the missing pit crew etc...I just think Forza is targeting a different demographic here, than pure sim-racing.

You don't play Xbox games so I'm not sure your opinion carries much weight here.

What is that demographic exactly?

Dre3001

I gotta read the reviews after work but did anyone mention specifically how this will run on an Xbox One S.

Now sure if I can upgrade to an X right away but would love to play this on my S.

Lego Boss

I gotta read the reviews after work but did anyone mention specifically how this will run on an Xbox One S.

Now sure if I can upgrade to an X right away but would love to play this on my S.

Yeah, 11/10. Best sim racer ever.

Cheque's in the post.

Forza has never been marketed as a true sim. Never. It's sim-like and great at what it does so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Also, Forza has targeted the same audience it's always targeted. Either you understand that and are just being argumentative or you don't in which case it makes your remarks look even more ridiculous.

shandy706

there was always something wonky about forza physics, even on the Original XB....Cars never really felt that they were weighty then, and not much has changed now....I think now that the recent entries gives so many assists as default, rewind, obtrusive racing lines... and it seems that the environments and cars don't look as real and authentic as other racers really adds to it...

So you've never played any Forza...ever?

Even Forza 5 and 6 had more detailed environments and texture work than any of the competition. They had racetracks surrounded by parked cars, hundreds of RVs, smoke billowing off of Bar-B-Q stands, moving theme parks, balloons floating around, birds, helicopters in the sky, etc..etc...

That was years ago.

I'm not even going to waste my time on your physics comments.

GHG

You never played FM1 or 2 did you? Because there's no way that you'd say that if you had done.

1080p 60fps but the IQ didn't look as good in the demo as it is in 6 (going off memory).

Try out the demo basically.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
From a certain point of view. I, like many people may find the challenge of a controlling a very realistic race car around a track "fun". Most would not. I think Forza Motorsport seems to try and walk a line between making it very realistic without being painful to the mainstream. Folks who invest the money in a good wheel setup want that higher end challenge as fun, it just seems T10 has not wanted to provide that for a long time. To Be fair though, they bill this as a racer for everyone, not just the hardcore regardless of if it has "motorsport" in the name.

so they should not put motorsport in the name if it is not a motorsport?

WHM-6R

Neo Member

Its never been a true sim. Its always been one of the better sims on console, particularly when using a controller. (Rumble Triggers FTW). It's always had a good sense of weight. All of the assists are quite able to be tuned and/or removed. The idea that Forza lacks attention to detail is purely ludicrous.

spookytapes

Neo Member
this will be the first Forza game I don't buy on day 1... ever. I've probably logged more hours in this franchise than any other in my nearly 30 years of gaming. I am a certified Forza Freak™, but...

While the Horizon games have been a blast, the last couple entries in the main series have really felt like a slog to me. Almost like they got rid of the soul of what made these games fun and replaced it with lots and lots of microtransactions. I miss the progression of 3 and 4 where you'd win a series and get a car to use in the next series instead of just giving you a nominal credit bonus. I miss more "regular" cars. I don't know. I'll probably get this at some point but I think I'm going to wait and see more impressions from regular people.

danowat

Banned

I think you're right, and yet the comparisons between Forza and sims still keep happening.

Gestault

I'm on a standard XB1, and the demo played perfectly. They've pulled off impressive scenes with F7. You'll see the expected amount of aliasing, but the DF analysis confirmed the locked 60 fps at full-res on everything they tested. You'll have the benefit of HDR on your S, if your TV supports it.

GHG

I think you're right, and yet the comparisons between Forza and sims still keep happening.

To be fair, the vast majority of people who only play on console wouldn't know what a racing sim is even if it slapped them across the face.

There's only so much you can do when you've got to take a controller first approach.

So when something comes along where you actually have to sus out braking points, take racing lines and can't just go sideways around every corner in order to win then people will put it in the sim category. Marketing also goes a long way to reinforce this.

Gestault

You never played FM1 or 2 did you? Because there's no way that you'd say that if you had done.

At one point he was talking about the different Forza games (plural) on the original Xbox, specifying differences between them (plural). He's not familiar with the series.

I'd be embarassed to see anyone agreeing with what he's saying.

derFeef

so they should not put motorsport in the name if it is not a motorsport?

What is it then, Lacrosse?

Motorsport or motorsports is a global term used to encompass the group of competitive sporting events which primarily involve the use of motorised vehicles, whether for racing or non-racing competition

At one point he was talking about the different Forza games (plural) on the original Xbox, specifying differences between them (plural). He's not familiar with the series.

He's bascially writing down all the complaints for the series he can find on the internet without any real world knowledge of it, or ever touching it. And already some people agreeing with the nonsense is hilarious.

WHM-6R

Neo Member

Because the driving is about as good as good a blend between quasi-realistic and enjoyable for mainstream gamers as you're gonna find on console.

Azzawon

To be fair, the vast majority of people who only play on console wouldn't know what a racing sim is even if it slapped them across the face.

There's only so much you can do when you've got to take a controller first approach.

ding ding ding

This is why Race Pro never sold well on last gen and Assetto Corsa hasn't this time around. Project CARS only sold well on console because of an effective marketing campaign and those "sweet sweet grafix".

Developers of games like Forza and Gran Turismo have found a fine balance for your everyday gamer who just wants to sit down and drive a car while appealing to the 'authenticity' of racing for your slightly more hardcore fan. Nothing more to it IMO.

WHM-6R

Neo Member

Was also evidenced by his seeming to not know you can turn assist off.

Top Bottom