• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE is gold, first discs manufactured

Rolf NB

Do you guys actually want the game to bomb? Even if you think this is a misstep from the company that you like, it's a single misstep. If the next game they announce also looks aesthetically uninspired you can call this a trend.

This game might be a bit grayer than the initial Overstrike reveal, but the weapons and the coop part is still the same as what one would anticipate from that E3 trailer.
If you look at the reaction to other games, like Defiance, where the same criticisms would have to be raised if they were ever genuine to begin with, you'll realize this is not really about the game at all.

The primary driver of all this "backlash" could very well be that Insomniac is a formerly Playstation-exclusive developer, and they're now facing the headwind from Xbox fans who treat them as damaged goods.

Resistance 2 had very fun coop and this looks an evolution of that.
Exactly. Fuse will be super awesome, because it builds on something that was already awesome.

so... I'd do this if EA would pay for printing both sides of the cover, but alas it's already printing (I finally just got a single copy in hand)

Aw, too bad.
With a GAF designed cover, GAF would've gotten that art designed by 12 year olds it's so craving.

BOOM!

(I'm gonna print that cover out, it's too good.)

Amneisac

If you look at the reaction to other games, like Defiance, where the same criticisms would have to be raised if they were ever genuine to begin with, you'll realize this is not really about the game at all.

The primary driver of all this "backlash" could very well be that Insomniac is a formerly Playstation-exclusive developer, and they're now facing the headwind from Xbox fans who treat them as damaged goods.

Exactly. Fuse will be super awesome, because it builds on something that was already awesome.

I always thought it was more BETRAYED Sony fans, so maybe it's both and they're getting the double whammy.

RedStep

I really don't think that's the case; I primarily play multiplatforms on the Xbox, but I have enjoyed Insomniac's previous work on the PS2 and PS3. I'm glad to see them branch out, but I feel nothing for FUSE. Something about it is just so... blah. I'm more curious about Fast and Furious Showdown, which will probably be horrible, but I want to play it and see if it's horrible. FUSE... I dunno. It's hard to explain. It just doesn't have a "hook" for me, regardless of who's making it. I haven't seen any "damaged goods" posts from others either.

Carl

Lol the backlash is nothing to do with it being multiplatform. The backlash is due to going from Outernauts to this shitheap

sense

would have tried it if it came out for pc. 4 player coop with my pc buddies would have been cool. are there any plans for pc version?

Deadbeat

Banned
Resistance 2 had very fun coop and this looks an evolution of that.
Syndicate is pretty much the evolution of R2 Coop. Better in every way. I dont have any belief that Insomniac will produce something better than Syndicate.

Coincidentally they are both sent to die by EA Partners.

Syndicate is pretty much the evolution of R2 Coop. Better in every way. I dont have any belief that Insomniac will produce something better than Syndicate.

Coincidentally they are both sent to die by EA Partners.
Oh man I hope this is better than Syndicate, that's a pretty low bar.

I was interested back when it was Overstrike. Since then the game has lost all personality. It could have the greatest mechanics ever, but it will still look so meh.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Was referring to next gen. Fuse is only on current isn't it?

Yeah sorry you're absolutely right, i was pretty knackered when I wrote that and not paying as much attention as I should have!

Syndicate's flawed no doubt but it's guns/weapons are top notch. I think it's a really underrated shooter tbh. Fantastic weapon feedback and you feel like you are fucking someone with gods dick when killing fools in that game. It some ways it reminded me of FEAR with to how much I enjoyed using those guns. The sounds certainly rattled my walls anyway :p

Jobbs

Banned
I'd be almost incapable of seeing this cover/title on a rack at best buy or something. It's like gaming camoflauge. It's like they wanted to hide it in plain sight.

It has a strong "straight to video" vibe.

Ostensibly an AAA development studio has access to top level talent in terms of designers and artists. So... What the fuck? The concept, composition, and execution of the cover art is fucking terrible on all three counts.

Low bar? Syndicate co-op?

Campaign, sure, but co-op? Really?

I doubt it. Nothing shown comes near Syndicate Coop.
Well, FUSE scales in difficulty based upon human player count, doesn't it? And you always have 4 characters to leap between, so compared to Syndicate, FUSE is at the very least solo friendly. That's a big plus.

Fantastic weapon feedback and you feel like you are fucking someone with gods dick when killing fools in that game. It some ways it reminded me of FEAR with to how much I enjoyed using those guns. The sounds certainly rattled my walls anyway :p

Stop writing words.

Low bar? Syndicate co-op?

Campaign, sure, but co-op? Really?

Well, FUSE scales in difficulty based upon human player count, doesn't it? And you always have 4 characters to leap between, so compared to Syndicate, FUSE is at the very least solo friendly. That's a big plus.
I agree the co-op was good but there were what, 5 levels or so? That played exactly the same every time. I enjoyed it for a while but it was a serious dearth of content. I'll be shocked if Fuse isn't superior. And yeah the less said about the Syndicate campaign the better...

Looks better and better.

Me and my 3 buddies can't wait to co-op this.
There's a ton of jaggies in that video. That was painful to watch. Please tell me there's some AA in the final builds somewhere.

I agree the co-op was good but there were what, 5 levels or so? That played exactly the same every time. I enjoyed it for a while but it was a serious dearth of content. I'll be shocked if Fuse isn't superior. And yeah the less said about the Syndicate campaign the better...
Yeah, if Syndicate was purely that co-op mode (like FUSE) one could hope things would have turned out better for them.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Stop writing words.

Apologies :) I genuinely wasn't trying to offend anyone with the stupid shit that comes out of my head. All I simply meant is that I can be quite fussy about how much I enjoy combat in a FPS and the weapons/feedback/sound in Syndicate I found to really satisfying. I hope FUSE is the same, I loved hearing Ted go on about weapons and how the player should be satisfied when using them with the feedback they get etc It sounds like he gets it, in theory at least! (though after the pretty great Resistance 3 I'm pretty confident about it)

Jobbs

Banned
I looked up Insomniac's twitter and they're getting beaten up pretty badly in their tweet conversations. Now I feel a bit bad. But cmon, guys.. Fuse?

Jobbs

Banned
It's a dumb name but most video game names are dumb, I don't see what the big deal is.

I don't think it's a big deal that someone's making a generic bro shooter (again, I don't know that it's a bad game, but outwardly it appears to be a very cynical, generic shooter) -- That's nothing new. People are hurt because it's coming from a beloved company that's been so creative in the past.

Jobbs

Banned
Not saying you're wrong, but outside of the art-style first impressions what makes this a "generic bro shooter"?

If you kept reading, I basically said "by all outward appearances". They could have secretly made a great game, but they hid it under the guise of possibly the most generic looking game ever made.

Izick

I like the 360's green cases.

I'd probably go with the PS3 version though, as I'd expect Insomniac to know the ins and outs of it to the point where the game will run better on it.

thumb

Banned
Like many here, I'm not feeling what I've seen so far, but I'm excited to try out the demo. I hope my impressions are wrong.

Qwell

Really wish they were releasing this on the PC. I have enjoyed all the Insomniac games, and I love me some co-op shooters however none of my friends play on consoles anymore. I had the same problem with the new Army of Two, yes I know its dumb action game #2374, but those kinds of games can still be fun when played with friends.

All my friends have PS3, but I'm the only one that still plays it and they only ever buy games on the PC now. I'm honestly kind of the same way as well, I probably won't get GTA 5 until a PC release or at least next gen console (yah I'm a graphics ho, but dangit I just got myself a 7950 boost and want to use it).

If you kept reading, I basically said "by all outward appearances". They could have secretly made a great game, but they hid it under the guise of possibly the most generic looking game ever made.
Sorry - I must have missed the parenthesis. Its just that whenever I read those kinds of terms "generic", "bro" I don't immediately grock what people are getting at. Going by forum posts here COD is bro and Gears is bro, and Halo is bro and Killzone is bro, but they're wildly different games to play, so those terms don't really communicate much.

This isn't me getting on your case in particular, just me being exasperated at how often those terms are used.

Man

FUSE alternative box art:

4sTkog7.png
Amazing

Top Bottom