• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FXAA creator comments on Orbis, Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongebob

Banned
Will we get watchdogs level graphics at launch? 1313? I have heard ppl say we will so if that is the case I am more than happy. Those visuals are more than enough for the first two three years.

Yes to watch_dogs, no to SW1313 since that was running on 3 GTX 680s.

Perception is not reality. This comment shouldn't even be taken seriously. You didn't need a HDTV to tell which system had better fps, better lighting, and better texturing.

But perception is what was behind that particular discussion I was engaged in.

Also, just as most multiplats didn't run at 720p on Xbox, they have better lighting either.. I owned one and I recall most games looking just like their PS2 counterpart with a bit of antialiasing added in. Some even had effects that weren't as good as their PS2 counterparts, because the PS2 was almost always the lead platform. Don't you remember the "sparks" meme around here from Burnout 3 and Revenge?

no to SW1313 since that was running on 3 GTX 680s.

I've read that fact is not a good indication of what's possible on console, or even PC for that matter. That what they showed was probably early and un-optimized, and could almost be taken as a form of PR bragging, i.e. our game is so l33t it takes 3 GTX 680s to run. I remember another insider comment saying the next gen console launch games will look comparable to high end PC versions of games like SW1313.

Reiko

Banned
But perception is what was behind that particular discussion I was engaged in.

Also, just as most multiplats didn't run at 720p on Xbox, they have better lighting either.. I owned one and I recall most games looking just like their PS2 counterpart with a bit of antialiasing added in. Some even had effects that weren't as good as their PS2 counterparts, because the PS2 was almost always the lead platform. Don't you remember the "sparks" meme around here from Burnout 3 and Revenge?

The PS2 version looking better than the Xbox versions would still be in 2%.

And even then almost every one of them was running in progressive scan.

This was easy to notice to even the most casual of gamers. I remember the gameplay>graphics meme post Xbox launch. And Xbox versions = shiny graphics.

I remember reading it from a supposed dev on B3D, I'll try to find the post. You mind posting your source also? As far as why I chose flops, it's the standard metric from arithmetic computing power, aka raw strength in computer HW.

Also lol at biased. Until these recent leaks, I have said a few times that I was leaning towards Durango based on how it was supposed to be the strongest by some margin.

Based on?

Ok it seems the 800 claim was actually 600 Glfops and its still up in the air if its valid. Apparently nobody knows WiiUs actual specs, outside of developers. So I'm probably off the mark.

There is orbis in the orbis. Playstation is amazing, orbis. durango sucks orbis. Orbis Orbis. Amazing Orbis. Orbis Wii U Orbis Orbis.

He lol'ed in his heart.
Well, aren't you just the cutest little thing.

ZaCH3000

Yes to watch_dogs, no to SW1313 since that was running on 3 GTX 680s.

Agni's Philosophy was running unoptimized on a single GTX 680 and what it achieved onscreen takes a dump on SW1313. SW1313 requiring 3 GTX 680 is PR hubala. It doesn't even make sense to program a game that is set to release early 2014 at the latest to run on 3 GTX 680s. Do they expect to sell 2000 copies to only PC enthusiasts who can afford such a rig?

Reiko

Banned
You are misremembering both these games. SW 1313 is on another level, watch_dogs just looks like a high-end PC game.

Which one? Only comparable one is Crysis 3.

Which is actually the first next gen game.

Agni's Philosophy was running unoptimized on a single GTX 680 and what it achieved onscreen takes a dump on SW1313. SW1313 requiring 3 GTX 680 is PR hubala.

Baked lighting all over the place though. None of it was dynamic.

a tech demo platform, completely not optimized for SW1313 E3 Demo, is not representative of what will be really needed in the final version of the game

yea I doubt they are making a game exclusive for 3 GTX 680's...that's like $1500 right there on the GPU's alone.

even running on 3 GTX 680's the game doesn't look that impressive except for the special effects which are done by their special fx studios

Durante

You are misremembering both these games. SW 1313 is on another level, watch_dogs just looks like a high-end PC game.
I still don't know what exactly about SW1313 is supposed to be on another level. I thought Watch_Dogs was more impressive considering that it's open world, and Agni's truly is on another level in terms of graphics.

1313 has really nice lighting

starwars1313_452831b.jpg

sw1313_gamescom_screenshot-2.jpg

spisho

Neo Member
I think he was talking Agni?

Agni's Philosophy, Star Wars 1313, and Watch Dogs all have dynamic lighting. It's not certain that any of them do realtime radiosity.

I'd question anyone claiming Star Wars 1313 has an advantage here since it's pretty much in the same ballpark as the UE3 Samaritan demo, and that didn't have any realtime radiosity either.

Jack_AG

Banned
Why am I not impressed with 1313? It looks like a mildly ramped up Uncharted 3? I've watched every video I could and I find it "meh", at best.

Eideka

Banned
I agree SW1313 is not that impressive graphically, what strikes me are the animations and the incredible character models.

Agnis is the benchmark for me. I don't care what it's doing technically, I see what I see and it has the best visuals I've ever seen for a would be game.

Jack_AG

Banned
see his leg as he passes by the fire? no change in colour or lighting, no shadow casted on the wall.

starwars looks pretty meh for me too. Looks something capable on todays hardware.

Looking at frame-by-frame footage it does. He runs past it and what do you know - the further you are away from a light source - the less it illuminates the character. Shocking!

His whole backside maintains an orange glow. In other scenes with fire during explosions we see light cast by the explosion hit a lot of screen real-estate.

Still tho - that's nothing that isn't being done today. I don't see how this is impressive. Other than being buttery smooth - that's about it. I'm not seeing any wizardry being done with 1313.

ZaCH3000

Why am I not impressed with 1313? It looks like a mildly ramped up Uncharted 3? I've watched every video I could and I find it "meh", at best.

The special effects and lighting are far beyond anything I have ever seen. Everything else about the short gameplay sequence shown to us is underwhelming, especially image quality. The textures leave a lot to be desired.

I'm reserving judgement because the gameplay is in a narrow, dark corridor. In fact, it looks completely possible to render on current-gen hardware up until the protagonist leaps onto the flaming satellite right as the spaceship he leaps from explodes. I was floored for the first time I saw that footage.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Agnis is the benchmark for me. I don't care what it's doing technically, I see what I see and it has the best visuals I've ever seen for a would be game.

Agni had the lowest requirements of anything we've seen too. The demo we've seen was running at 1080p/60fps with 8x MSAA and FXAA on one 680. After console optimization and with a 30fps target and lower AA we could easily see that next gen, maybe even looking a bit better.

Jack_AG

Banned
In fact, it looks completely possible to render on current-gen hardware up until the protagonist leaps onto the flaming satellite right as the spaceship he leaps from explodes. I was floored for the first time I saw that footage.

You've never played an Uncharted game, eh? I can't count the "set pieces" in those games because there are a lot.

Again, I'm not seeing how this is special.

Looking at frame-by-frame footage it does. He runs past it and what do you know - the further you are away from a light source - the less it illuminates the character. Shocking!

His whole backside maintains an orange glow. In other scenes with fire during explosions we see light cast by the explosion hit a lot of screen real-estate.

Still tho - that's nothing that isn't being done today. I don't see how this is impressive. Other than being buttery smooth - that's about it. I'm not seeing any wizardry being done with 1313.

his back is being hit with an orange spot light, the explosions are just hdr effects. The fire itself isn't using particle lighting and isn't casting any light into the scene, they're just using a spot or point lights to mimic it. The small fire he runs by doesn't light his leg up, nor is it casting a shadow.

take a look at the character on the lower ship. It's harsh white lighting all over.

Dont understand how this isn't impressive.

untitled-30ja1z.gif

because it's a scripted sequence in a corridor.

spisho

Neo Member
see his leg as he passes by the fire? no change in colour or lighting, no shadow casted on the wall.

starwars looks pretty meh for me too. Looks something capable on todays hardware.

Tough crowd.

I actually find the Star Wars 1313 stuff impressive. You certainly won't see this level of quality on current gen consoles.

Tough crowd.

I actually find the Star Wars 1313 stuff impressive. You certainly won't see this level of quality on current gen consoles.

I'm not saying it doesn't look good, just that it doesn't look particularly special, or that it's really "nextgen".

Agnis is also using some baked elements.

oh noes. I hate this whole "baked" thing. If the technique works and looks as good, then fuck dynamic shit. There are no "tricks" in graphics, no cheats. Mirrors edge is still one of the best looking games released, I'd take it over crysis 3 even, and it's got baked lighting.

pixlexic

Banned
I think if you guiys are expecting everything to cast light and shadows and the there will be no baked lighting and shadows then you are going to be very disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom