• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z Coming in December ( PS4 )

At least they didn't release the PS4 game with a promise of a Vita game that may or may not come at a later point like some others but clarified before release.

Still sucks

giphy.gif

Nymerio

That may be so, but comparing a small indie developer with a first party studio is kind of unfair. Also they're using unity which may not be best optimized engine for the vita.

Boss★Moogle;171900611 said:
If you're actually saying that Galax-Z is more demanding than Killzone or Uncharted then I really have no words....

It's a completely different type of game doing different kinds of gameplay. This kind of comparison is stupid as hell. They really started pushing the AI and getting really ambitious with it in Galakz I wonder if at some point it became too much for the Vita's cpu.

If you're actually saying that Galax-Z is more demanding than Killzone or Uncharted then I really have no words....

Killzone and Uncharted used their own game engines. Galak is using Unity which has a lot more overhead. It's more of a limitation of using a 3rd party engine.

And as Ninja Scooter pointed out, there could be more happening behind those 2D graphics game logic wise.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Killzone and Uncharted used their own game engines. Galak is using Unity which has a lot more overhead. It's more of a limitation of using a 3rd party engine.

And as Ninja Scooter pointed out, there could be more happening behind those 2D graphics game logic wise.

The devs have mentioned on their twitter that every object is a 3D piece floating around in space, with full newtonian physics for every object. They also only have a staff of 3 coders, whereas KZ had way more than that. One of the developers on Octodad chimed in to mention that they found a way to hack around limitations in order to get their game working on Vita, but don't think it would be possible for Unity to do.

That's not to say it would be completely impossible, but it's entirely possible it would require a new engine or reworking their entire workflow for the game to get it to function acceptably on Vita.

Peltz

They're getting flamed on Twitter and rightly so, I think. They really shouldn't have committed.

The twitter comments aren't soooo bad. Not great, but not as bad as we've seen in the past.

At least they're being upfront about it. And the game looked amazing 2 years ago. I can't wait to try it for myself now that it's been further developed.

pelican

Please indulge us with your coding/game design experience and knowledge.

Could have swore we saw video of this before the ps4 even released. What happened?

Just a guess, from the Eurogamer link above, it's taken so long because the game shifted focus as some point.

Since its unveiling at E3 in 2013, Galak-Z has changed in a very interesting manner, switching from a 2D dog-fighting open-world space game to a 2D dog-fghting roguelike space game. A juke to the left, and it alters pretty much everything.

It works, too. It really, really works. The shift in focus has allowed developer 17-Bit to retain the stuff that was already singing - the exploration, the upgrades, the seat-of-the-pants combat as you flip and twist and lock-on and blast - but it's also heightened everything.

Top Bottom