• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra's Top 10 Game Developers of 2016

Eolz

I did this thread last year as well, so before people jump to conclusions:
It's in alphabetical order, not just about who made good games, and a publication mostly for people in this industry. It's more interesting to get some discussion around their arguments than just "Why not XX?!" or "YY doesn't deserve it I hate this game!".
The official argument for inclusion in this list is "exceeded our expectations and pushed creative, commercial, and cultural boundaries.".

Mod abuse:
We make a point of noting that recognition on this list isn't necessarily just about who made a good game in 2016, although that does help. These are the developers and studios that left their mark on this year in a meaningful way, shaping the year in the art and business of making games.

Here we go with some selected parts:

Blizzard Entertainment:
The rollout of Overwatch has so far been one of the company’s most successful commercial endeavors, launching the game industry giant into a new genre and successfully locking down most of the audience for the “hero shooter” genre.
(...)
But lastly, Blizzard deserves extra praise for creating more diverse characters in its games and responding to the desires of its playerbase. While you could point to Overwatch’s diverse cast as proof enough of this effort, the fact that the company emphasized these values at The Game Awards this year stands as a shining example for representation the game industry, and how it can serve a global audience at the highest tiers of commercial success.

Concerned Ape (Eric Barone):
Instead, he ended up single-handedly developing something that breathed new life into a genre that had mostly been dominated by Harvest Moon since the '90s. Barone’s game, Stardew Valley, quickly found success after its launch earlier this year and managed to sell over a million copies in just two short months.

What makes Barone’s accomplishment with Stardew Valley especially notable is the fact that he developed the game entirely on his own. Every inch of the game - the code, art, story, music - was carefully crafted by Barone across Stardew Valley’s four-year development.

D-Pad Studio:
One of the trends we observed in 2016 was how a few studios finally shipped games after a decade in development. Among these developers is D-Pad Studio, which deserves special praise for finally bringing the charming platformer Owlboy to the world.
(...)
Over the past decade, D-Pad exhibited something beyond the abstract idea of "passion" for a project; the studio showed a mastery of art and craft -- along with a heavy dose of commitment -- that is an inspiration to anyone working in a creative field.

GenDesign:
(...)the team at GenDesign who get our nod for creating a worthy successor to two of the most celebrated games in the history of the medium.

The Last Guardian is a continuation of the main theme of Ueda's previous games: exploring the bond between the player and a companion that they alternately rely upon and protect. This year, GenDesign inspired not only players, but also game developers, reminding once again that something as technical as game development can bring forth a work of art that reflects our innate, emotional tendencies as human beings.

Hello Games:
On one hand, Hello Games in 2016 was a terrifying case study of what could happen when a portion of a fanbase turns into a mob; the situation has really spooked some game developers, particularly small ones like Hello. On the other hand, Hello's year is inspiring, because if this small studio with big ambitions could at least begin to turn such a difficult situation around, then maybe other developers can persevere too.

id Software:
Players, critics, and fellow developers praised the game (id’s first new release in half a decade) as a surprising return to form, one that breathed new life into the first-person shooter genre. It reminded us why the original Doom was so arresting, so influential, that for a time FPS games were known simply as “Doom clones.”

It’s no mean feat to create a genre-defining game. It’s arguably even harder to look back on such a work 20+ years later, accurately assess what makes it great, and use those elements as a foundation to build something new. This year id accomplished just that, and for that we recognize the studio as one our top developers of the year.

IO Interactive:
But sometimes change is required in order for even a popular series to remain viable. This year, IO announced that the next main installment in the Hitman franchise would be released episodically – one driving factor being the increased margins of purely digital releases when compared to disc-based traditional releases.
(...)
The transition wasn’t without its challenges. But the studio eventually learned how to effectively communicate a complicated business model to its audience, learned a greater understanding of accountability, and in the end created a new, market-proven variation of the episodic business model. That’s an accomplishment that may well reach beyond the walls of IO Interactive, and influence other studios that need to remain competitive – and maintain their existing fanbases – in an unforgiving market.

Niantic Labs:
A popular game alone isn’t necessarily enough to land a developer on this list, but Niantic certainly deserves to be recognized for creating something that rapidly become a cultural phenomenon.
(...)
Pokemon Go could’ve easily been a one-and-done game that fizzled out shortly after launch, but the decisions made by Niantic in development, during launch, and following release ensured that it instead became a cultural icon that is as much a social experience as it is a video game.

Owlchemy Labs:
Don’t be fooled by its cartoony graphics and general absurdity: Job Simulator is absolutely the most intuitive room-scale VR game with the best affordance design on the market right now. That's all due to Owlchemy's world-class approach to design and development in a new generation of VR.

The studio is also keenly aware of the challenges facing the VR market, perhaps most notably the difficulty of showing people who aren’t in VR what it’s like to be in a VR game. Owlchemy recently showed off an advanced (i.e. mind-blowing) mixed reality method dubbed “depth-based realtime in-app mixed reality compositing.” Still in development, the fancily-named technique could have a huge impact on the effectiveness of VR marketing.

Witching Hour Studios:
For one, its debut Masquerada: Songs and Shadows proved to be a thoughtful and engaging role-playing game that deftly mixed social issues with typical RPG design.

For another, they’re the only developer on this list that had to go toe-to-toe with its own government to ensure it could bring a gay character to life in their game.

Full article here.

I know this won't end well due to at least one choice.

Maxinas

Hello games? Oh boy.

Niantic? I'd rather give it to gamefreak with the help of the TPC for keeping Pokemon relevant for 20 years.

Pokemon Go could’ve easily been a one-and-done game that fizzled out shortly after launch, but the decisions made by Niantic in development, during launch, and following release ensured that it instead became a cultural icon that is as much a social experience as it is a video game.

What? The game did fizzle out because Niantic had no idea how to handle it post launch.
The most meaningful change they've made in six months is that the tracking is ten times worse than it was originally.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think it's a good diverse selection that reflects well on what was a pretty good year for gaming overall and some real steps in gamings changing landscape as well as developers presence in gaming changing. Between interesting social experiments, hard-working, passionate, and successful indies, big studios delivering on their own ambition and quality, and an overall bigger push for diversity in games.

I think every studio mentioned deserves it, I spot one or two I bet some of GAF may pick apart, but I think it's speaks volumes how varied many of these picks are.

Icolin

Banned
Most of the choices are very well deserved, especially Blizzard, IO and GenDesign, but Hello Games or, to a lesser extent, Niantic being on the list over FromSoftware, Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Playdead is kinda atrocious.

Mael

IDK, I don't have a problem with Hello because I wasn't part of the hype so what I got was what I was sold on.
the whole base building is fantastic although survivor is BS.

ROFL @ Hello Games. They basically ran a scam and got away with it.

Niantic? They basically slapped Pokemon skins over their previous game. Pokemon GO is an incredibly shallow flash in the pan.

From Software not making the list... smh.

Biske

Yeah about Niantic... they certainly accomplished a big feat, but has almost nothing to do with the game itself, which is a pretty shitty game I think, and relies almost solely on the behemoth that is the Pokemon brand for free, on a mobile device.

So Hello Games basically gets a participation award? "Nice try, champ" recognition?
Am I reading that right?
I haven't played NMS and have no interest in doing so, so I have no agenda here. I'm just curious.

Boke1879

THe thing with Hello Games is they do have a chance to try and turn it around. So we'll see.

No they shouldn't be let go of what they did.

For cultural impact Hello Games deserves to be there whether you like the game or not. For a small developer to generate that much hype and exposure was kind of unheard of before and I am sure lessons have been learned by them and countless other indie developers.

Its a great list all round, raising awareness and shining the spotlight on those that sometimes slip the net and don't get the credit they deserve.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't know why people are mentioning From Software and Naughty Dog. They shipped games this year, good/great games, but being the third or fourth entry in a popular series that doesn't make any huge innovation really to what's come before (they may be better games, but still more the same) doesn't particularly stand out, especially in a year a lot of interesting and innovative things happened in gaming.

This is a list for developers that stood out and tried something different or special to stand out, not a list for which developer had the subjectively best or most popular games this year.

megalowho

What? The game did fizzle out because Niantic had no idea how to handle it post launch.
The most meaningful change they've made in six months is that the tracking is ten times worse than it was originally.
That was my first thought as well. Reads more like wishful thinking than what actually happened.

Owlchemy Labs is an inspired choice though. They laid a lot of groundwork for finding the fun in VR gestures that devs will continue to draw from for years to come.

Eolz

I kind of agree with the Nantic arguments here, but Gamasutra's point of view is also good. They would have never done so well without the Pokemon IP power, and they really dropped the ball, but they also managed to make a new phenomenon, which is pretty damn impressive in this age.

Most of the choices are very well deserved, especially Blizzard, IO and GenDesign, but Hello Games or, to a lesser extent, Niantic being on the list over FromSoftware, Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Playdead is kinda atrocious.

I disagree for From, ND and Insomniac (especially the latter): while their games were good/great, they also didn't bring anything really new/impactful to the table, which is kinda the point of this top. Good point on Playdead though.

They're also doing a Top 10 games soon, which should be different.

So Hello Games basically gets a participation award? "Nice try, champ" recognition?
Am I reading that right?
I haven't played NMS and have no interest in doing so, so I have no agenda here. I'm just curious.

I tried to put the less possibly controversial quote, but basically it's also for indies showing ambition, and managing to turn it around with their first big update.

Icolin

Banned
I don't know why people are mentioning From Software and Naughty Dog. They shipped games this year, good/great games, but being the third or fourth entry in a popular series that doesn't make any huge innovation really to what's come before (they may be better games, but still more the same) doesn't particularly stand out, especially in a year a lot of interesting and innovative things happened in gaming.

This is a list for developers that stood out and tried something different, not a list for which developer had the subjectively best or popular games this year.

My argument is that any of the four developers I mentioned (ND, FS, Insomniac, Playdead) are all more worthy of being on this list than Hello Games, even if we're talking about innovative or unique games (much of that uniqueness and innovation wasn't delivered in the end product IMO).

watdaeff4

This is a list for developers that stood out and tried something different or special to stand out, not a list for which developer had the subjectively best or most popular games this year.

Fair points - but why id then?

True Fire

Niantic is an embarrassing choice (not even going to touch Hello). They squandered a billion dollar empire. Its revenues, although impression, are only a fraction of what they could have been.

Niantic created a movement, even if the game is shallow AF, it still created a huge phenomenan, that's enough to allow them to be on this years list.

Hello games though lmao, let's praise scammers.

Cess007

Some interesting choices there, I agree with some and not with others, but I can understand and respect their choices.

Icolin

Banned
If we're discounting uniqueness (so not FromSoft, ND, Insomniac), even then there are still a handful of developers that I'd put on here over developers like Niantic or Hello Games, like Heart Machine (HLD), Playdead (Inside), Dodge Roll (Enter the Gungeon), Giant Squid (Abzu), and ESPECIALLY Thekla/Jonathan Blow, for The Witness.

Anno

Huh, I didn't know that about Masquerada. It's already on my wishlist but I guess now I'll have to pick it up for sure.

BigEmil

Hello games? Oh boy.

Niantic? I'd rather give it to gamefreak with the help of the TPC for keeping Pokemon relevant for 20 years.
Gamefreak don't really need to do anything. Anything with the name Pokemon name on it will sell well regardless

Eolz

If we're discounting uniqueness (so not FromSoft, ND, Insomniac), even then there are still a handful of developers that I'd put on here over developers like Niantic or Hello Games, like Heart Machine (HLD), Playdead (Inside), Dodge Roll (Enter the Gungeon), Giant Squid (Abzu), and ESPECIALLY Thekla/Jonathan Blow, for The Witness.

See now, that's some great shouts! Still have to play Abzu, but the others were some amongst the best experiences of the year.

Hell yeah genDesign!

That's true though I still think they could be on there. ND, Insomniac, and From did push their engines further than they ever have (especially ND and Insomniac), with ND continuing to be on the cutting edge. Plus Insomniac has even made one of the best Pro-enabled games (probably with Tomb Raider and it's great job on offering so many options) available less than a month after the system has come out. They did a top-notch job on their patch.

Some cool choices though so I'm not complaining. Also, great to see a VR dev get on the list.

Cool to see stuff like Hyper Light Drifter, Abzu, and The Witness get mentioned in here.

Icolin

Banned
See now, that's some great shouts! Still have to play Abzu, but the others were some amongst the best experiences of the year.

Abzu would be the perfect thing to play during the holidays, especially if you don't have work or you live in a colder area; it's super soothing and calming, and more on the Flow or Flower side than Journey, which is a little more unnerving and attention demanding. Highly recommended.

Shoutouts to IO Interactive taking a sketchy episodic model and actually making a great stream of content for a strong unique game in Hitman.

woodland

Alternatively, 343 added insane amounts of content, made a PC-version of their forge software, added a custom games browser, etc.

Rocket League's dev sustained their game astoundingly well as well, adding new game modes, new customization options, etc.

Don't agree that making a game should get you on, it should be people that go above and beyond in maintaining their game as well.

HelLOL Games

Niantic... I'm sorry; I love Pokemon and all but, Pokemon Go is one of the worst games I've ever played in my life, and I'm not even against mobile games. But I guess it's popular, so not surprised to see it there.

id Soft: well deserved

Eolz

Abzu would be the perfect thing to play during the holidays, especially if you don't have work or you live in a colder area; it's super soothing and calming, and more on the Flow or Flower side than Journey, which is a little more unnerving and attention demanding. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommandation! I know what I'm grabbing during the Christmas Steam sales now :)

Did it fizzle out? Still a huge thing at my kids school, tons of kids playing on the way home every day and if not, chatting about it.

Tigress

Niantic created a movement, even if the game is shallow AF, it still created a huge phenomenan, that's enough to allow them to be on this years list.

Hello games though lmao, let's praise scammers.

Yes cause scammers spend 4 years on a scam. Hello games messed up but I think people are way overreacting when they claim hello games tried to scam people. Also, scammers take the money and run. Not spend more money on an already successful scam to come back and try to improve things.

Top Bottom