• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamasutra's Top 10 Game Developers of 2016

Tigress

Your mentality makes a discussion impossible because you think Hello Games is a victim. I would say the people who spent their money on the game only to be taken for a ride by Sean Murray and company are the victims.

And you're right that the criticism wasn't ignored but every time Hello Games comes in a GAF thread theres a group that consistently supports them or acts like they were somehow wrongly persecuted. If you want to play their games because them lying doesn't bother you that's fine but acknowledge that. Don't try to turn it around and act like they're somehow in the right because many internet dwellers took it too far. The sad reality is there is always going to be the people on the internet who attack someone or threaten someone and take things too far. Those people should are rightfully called out for being generally terrible people but they don't turn Hello Games into a victim.

People who are so upset about hello games lieing that they think we should all be down dying for that alone, why aren't you this venemous at rockstar games for example. Heists never were what they advertised (not even just in reviews, actual advertisements). You were supposed to be able to pull them in the open world (not in a seperate instance) and then run off with all the money forcing your associates to come after you for it if you wanted. Where is my single player dlc that they specifically said they were going to do? I'm sure we can find other lies they said about gta v but those are the biggest ones on top of my head.

I'm sorry but the outrage over the lies that HG has done has gotten way overblown (I mean, it was a mob). To the point that before the patch you couldn't even say you enjoyed the game without being accused of lieing. Hell, some one here on this page said no one could enjoy the game. I can say me and my friend are both enjoying it a lot right now. One of e nice things about the patch is I can actually discuss playing the game on here (on the thread) without people having to insist it should be a discussion of how they lied or even scammed us (as if they did it on purpose. Scam artists don't spend 4 years on a scam nor do they come back and work more on it after it was successfully pulled off).

Yes, they lied on stuff. The overall game though is what they said it was (a survival, exploration game) that isn't as shiny about it as originally said. And I would say this happens to most games. Fallout 4 isn't as shiny as they originally claimed (yes I know this forum hates Bethesda too but even Bethesda didn't get as much venom as HG did, or at least the bitter people moved on a lot sooner. And HG has more excuse of being a small developer that doesn't have as many resources or people to meet their grand claims).

jett

D-Member
In what way did they 'scam' their userbase??

a scam would imply they developed a product designed to take your money and run...

yeah, perhaps look up the word scam before posting it in such an inflammatory way next time...

Deceiving then? Is that a more politically correct word for you?

Enough has been said about what Hello Games did and said leading up to the launch.

I'm amazed Hello Games still has defenders.
What is amazing about it? It's not a war.

Look, I'm annoyed as anyone with Hello and NMS that the whole debacle basically ruined any chance for $60 indie games for the foreseeable future.

Despite that, I also feel the "How can anyone like NMS", "it was all a scam", and so on comes across as increasingly petty with each passing month.

Tigress

I'm amazed that the bitter people haven't refunded their money, decided not to buy from HG, and moved on and are still trying to convince everyone else they should also hate HG as much as them. I'm amazed it took til the patch months later to be able to talk playing the game without some one coming in and bitching about how they lied (and for months we had a thread a week revolving around the whole thing). I'm glad at least this discussion has moved outside the No Man's Sky Thread (which now is a thread about talking the game and talking *constructive* criticism of where the game should go now and what should be fixed from people who are interested in playing it and that is why they want improvements. Not just to see HG fail/suffer for their "crimes").

Fine, you're upset. Hopefully you got one of the refunds (and if so, you definitely should move on already). If not, that sucks but take a lesson and don't buy from them again. But some of us actually do enjoy the game and it mostly did play as what we thought. Hell, with the patch the game is as fun as I thought it would be before it came out (I don't care ultimately it isn't exactly as described, I care that it is what I thought it was and that I have as much fun as I thought I would have. Most games aren't exactly what the developer thought it would be or promised before it comes out). I'm happy that HG is still working on it cause after all that hate I wouldn't have blamed them as just chalking it up as a total failure and moving on themselves. I know I would have felt discouraged from keeping working on it if I were them.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
What is amazing about it? It's not a war.

Look, I'm annoyed as anyone with Hello and NMS that the whole debacle basically ruined any chance for $60 indie games for the foreseeable future.

Yooka-Laylee is launching at $40, so let's see how that'll pan out.

Whether or not you like Witcher 3 combat you can't discredit what CDPR did for fans with the Witcher 3 expansion pass. They made two large pieces of content that amount to around 75 hours for the price of $25. I don't understand how they didn't make this list.

they didn't make the 2015 list either

Yooka-Laylee is launching at $40, so let's see how that'll pan out.
Oh, we've had $40 indie games and they've been a success. The Witness for example

I was hoping NMS would be more of a cultural shift, kind of how indie games have already passed that $10-$20 "indie price" barrier that had been around since XBLA. Like, wow, if this indie game can be this ambitious and succeed at $60, that could pave the way for other similarly ambitious indie games and help end that "Lol, a $60 indie game, that's ridiculous" attitude. The Witness had those same complaints at $40, so it seemed probable

Except NMS went the other way and now no dev will likely consider that risk for years because they'll be endlessly compared to No Man's Sky. Great

Oynox

I do not see the noting of Hello games as a problem due to the way they explain their choices:

These are the developers and studios that left their mark on this year in a meaningful way, shaping the year in the art and business of making games.

Below (in alphabetical order) are the 10 individual developers and studios, selected by Gamasutra's writers, that exceeded our expectations and pushed creative, commercial, and cultural boundaries.

You can easily apply this to Hello Games, as well as Niantic (especially Niantic in regard to the social phenomenon they created).

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
they didn't make the 2015 list either

Here's the 2015 list:

Bethesda Game Studios
Blizzard Entertainment
Colossal Order
Davey Wreden, Everything Unlimited, Ltd.
Kojima Productions
Moppin
Monolith Soft
Nintendo EPD
Psyonix
Tale of Tales

2014:

Bungie
Coffee Stain Studios
Facepunch Studios
Inkle
Mojang
Laralyn McWilliams
Dong Nguyen
Sora Ltd. / Masahiro Sakurai
Vlambeer
Adriel Wallick (aka Ms. Minotaur)

They're not criminals or murderers, christ. They still released the game, didn't steal people's money and run. They didn't fulfill all the promises they set out, but then on the other hand, many big games with bigger teams also get some things left out. I don't even play No Man's Sky that much (have just 2 hours logged in) but there definitely seems to be a mob mentality against this developer that's got beyond tiring now.

Shaneus

Unlike pretty much every other indie developer out there? I mean, I'm not sure why this is being brought up as a talking point. So why aren't other indie/smaller studios with actually good releases that manages to not just do the same old be in the list over HG? Surely Stardew Valley/Concerned Ape can't be the only one.
One of the trends we observed in 2016 was how a few studios finally shipped games after a decade in development. Among these developers is D-Pad Studio, which deserves special praise for finally bringing the charming platformer Owlboy to the world.
(...)
Over the past decade, D-Pad exhibited something beyond the abstract idea of "passion" for a project; the studio showed a mastery of art and craft -- along with a heavy dose of commitment -- that is an inspiration to anyone working in a creative field.

wildfire

Banned
No matter what you think Hello Games did, they really don't deserve to be compared to Bernie Madoff, or any of the other vile shit that was and still is thrown at them to this day, all for failing to deliver on some very limited aspects of their game that people thought were coming. What you're doing right now is victim-blaming.

Wow and I thought the Bernie Madoff complaint would be the peak shrill rhetoric. Hello Games are the victims? Get out of here with that distortion of reality.

Hello Games purposefully mislead people. The victims are those who fell for it. Hello Games are the perpetrators and are justly punished by public opinion.

When you lie about anything you aren't the fucking victim. You're someone trying to gain an advantage or avoiding responsibility.

Fine, you're upset. Hopefully you got one of the refunds (and if so, you definitely should move on already). If not, that sucks but take a lesson and don't buy from them again. But some of us actually do enjoy the game and it mostly did play as what we thought. Hell, with the patch the game is as fun as I thought it would be before it came out (I don't care ultimately it isn't exactly as described, I care that it is what I thought it was and that I have as much fun as I thought I would have. Most games aren't exactly what the developer thought it would be or promised before it comes out). I'm happy that HG is still working on it cause after all that hate I wouldn't have blamed them as just chalking it up as a total failure and moving on themselves. I know I would have felt discouraged from keeping working on it if I were them.

By some you mean like 4% of their buyers considering steam stats. You guys aren't simply a minority. You're a statistical aberration.

It's a fact that most people are unhappy with this game for various reasons and that will be the prevailing opinion. You guys can enjoy your game but don't pretend this game can escape the negativity with near unanimous disapproval.

Top Bottom