• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Platinum's games have major replayability.

And traditional MGS games have just as much if not more replayability than your average Platinum game. Especially 2 with the dog tag collecting. I don't believe Ground Zeroes will offer as much replayability as the rest even with tapes, side ops, and the XOF patches, but it will surely offer something beyond 2 hours.

CHC

Hmmm this is... Disappointing. It's more about quality than quantity of course but it's such a small taste. I think I can save my appetite for the full game and then have a feast, so to speak.

Kind of relieved as this is A) more Dark Souls II time and B) $400 saved, as I was planning on getting a PS4 to break in with Ground Zeroes.

The GameInformer article stated the main mission only took them under 2 hours, and they had 4 hours of hands-on time overall that they used to play some extra missions.

$30 for what is shorter than a lot of DLC packs? MGS is one of my top series of all time... but this? I can't even...

What the fuck is wrong with you, Kojima???

Videogames are cool. This one seems cool, but it's not the longest game ever, or that time=money and not quality=money. Something people cannot grasp. This game also features guns and sneaking. Some people on the internet think this is a demo or beta or something and not worth their hard earned cash that they asked mom for.

Ok you're now caught up.

10/10.

Did not want to go through 30 pages for my sentiment report analysis.

jsnepo

Surprising that GZ is this short given that development has been for many years now. I expected at least 5 to 6 hours of the main mission.

viveks86

Videogames are cool. This one seems cool, but it's not the longest game ever, or that time=money and not quality=money. Something people cannot grasp. This game also features guns and sneaking. Some people on the internet think this is a demo or beta or something and not worth their hard earned cash that they asked mom for.

Ok you're now caught up.

Thanks! :D

:/

man why do us nerds insist on reinforcing negative stereotypes about our subculture even in joke-form

tumblr_ljk6cwBnXb1qielgeo1_500.gif

DrBo42

10/10.

Did not want to go through 30 pages for my sentiment report analysis.

You should know better than to quote a post that included a gripe with value attributed to money from mom. With that said I hope GZ is worth the money I work for. We shall see.

Kind of short for the main mission, but I just wonder how long it takes to play every mission. And hopefully it'll be as replayable as every other MGS too.

HardRojo

If people support this then we might be getting lots of glorified and pricy demos throughout the gen, I can see Activision releasing next year's CoD MP Alpha Code for $40.

Ein Bear

Whilst somewhat disappointing, I do feel that the sort of person that buys an MGS5 prologue, for £20-30 on release day, is exactly the sort of person who'll re-play it a bunch of times, and S Rank all the side missions and such. I certainly expect that I'll get much more than two hours out of it, I love Metal Gear.

FuturusX

If people support this then we might be getting lots of glorified and pricy demos throughout the gen, I can see Activision releasing next year's CoD MP Alpha Code for $40.

Only Kojima can pull this off. Don't worry.

Forza style mictotransactions in the other hand...

Shengar

Yeah, a Metal Gear Solid novel and a Metal Gear Solid movie.

Nah, just kidding. Did he sign some crazy contracts? Why can't he just quit? He has to have earned a few millions by now, so who is forcing him to stay?

Sure Konami will be dead right after he quits, but who cares. He should join some independant studio and work on what he actually wants. Let Konami ruin the rest of the Metal Gear franchise, just like they did with Silent Hill.

He grown too atached with MGS I think. While he want to make another creative work, he also don't to see MGS screwed up by anyone's elses hand. The choice is between creative freedom and MGS, for now he choose the latter. I hope someday he fed up, choose the former and let Konami burn in ruin.

You should know better than to quote a post that included a gripe with value attributed to money from mom. With that said I hope GZ is worth the money I work for. We shall see.

I guess I should. Or not. I'm tired and still writing reports.

Apologies.

eojoko

Well, I don't think it's fair to discredit this on its length alone. The Tanker chapter from MGS2 was very short, but with multiple levels of difficulty, collectables (dog tags), and unlockables, I enjoyed playing through it dozens of times.

Given how "Ground Zeroes" is being presented, I don't think the "prologue" chapter from MGS2 is a bad comparison. And, I'd have paid $30 for the Tanker chapter from MGS2 if it had come out well before MGS2 itself.

EL CUCO

Ok you're now caught up.
97435-54546-Cheers-Toast-gif-OLQT.gif

It's between $20-$40.

Current-gen/Digital: $20
Current-gen/Physical: $30
Next-gen/Digital: $30
Next-gen/Physical: $40
Those prices are ridiculous.

Imagine if this thing becomes publishers standard practices.

Japanese prices, btw:

All versions: ~$24 US

This is just blatant price gouging on Konami's part, to an absurd degree.

Westerners are being ripped off, most be the Sutherland vo cost :p

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Do you consider dogtag collecting to be good gameplay? Because I sure don't.

I sure as hell do, otherwise I would not have collected both the 2001 and 2002 sets. Many of the nuances in MGS2's gameplay mechanics didnt even become apparent until collecting the tags + doing the extra missions.

2 hours sounds bad, but I'd like to know the play time to complete all the missions once on normal difficulty. I don't play games multiple times, so info about a single play through and details about the type of missions on offer would be swell. If it's all padded out fetch quests or collectathons to boost the time spent with the game, then screw that noise.

If it's all padded out fetch quests or collectathons to boost the time spent with the game, then screw that noise.

If Peace Walker is anything to go by, that's exactly what they'll be. The ones we've seen so far are 'Go and rescue a guy', 'Go and pick up a cassette tape' and 'Extract 10 guys within a time limit'. The GI article says they all take place in the same level as the main mission.

Sigh. Expected.

Gz, from the get-go, was obviously nothing more than a prologue of BB saving Chico, while XOF presumably fly off to wreck the shit out of Outer Heaven Mk.0.

A single or dual mission prologue (assuming the attack on Mother Base is playable) would amount to two hours, on average, similar to previous MGS prologue.

Price is a terrible though. Urgh.

ramuh

He grown too atached with MGS I think. While he want to make another creative work, he also don't to see MGS screwed up by anyone's elses hand. The choice is between creative freedom and MGS, for now he choose the latter. I hope someday he fed up, choose the former and let Konami burn in ruin.

Another aspect is does he have a contract with Konami? With people of his talent, they usually lock you in with their studio and if you quit or don't produce X amount of games for them, you can be penalized or sued if you leave for somewhere else. Or it could be that he really doesn't want MGS to leave his creative grasp.

Top Bottom