• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 6 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

I suppose I better brace myself. Is it too much to hope that this show massively ups its game, back to pre-Season 4 levels? It's the least the audience deserves now that GoT is venturing into unexplored territory.

P.S. There's no point in trying to avoid spoilers long enough for GRRM to wring the next tome from his somnolent fingers. So my official position regarding this show is Fuck It. As in, I might as well watch because that's better than hearing about it by accident.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
To continue with the usual "your favorite character is now dead" or "see how horrible we can treat some of the most innocent ones", I can fully see the finale episode of the final season being where the White Walkers conquer the world and turn everyone into walking corpses.

Plot twist : Littlefinger will keep on smirking, even as a zombie. "Just as planned". Hell, he might stay alive because he somehow made a deal with the WWs.

Alpende

To continue with the usual "your favorite character is now dead" or "see how horrible we can treat some of the most innocent ones", I can fully see the finale episode of the final season being where the White Walkers conquer the world and turn everyone into walking corpses.

Plot twist : Littlefinger will keep on smirking, even as a zombie. "Just as planned". Hell, he might stay alive because he somehow made a deal with the WWs.

Can White Walkers swim or build boats? If not, everyone is gonna flee to the continent that Dany is on.

Ovid

I'm partial to Roose Bolton. I knew he was up to no good since the first day. Ramsay is always a joy to watch (well, not always), but Roose's scheming is just too damn enjoyable to witness.

That's not true.

Roose was always dedicated to Robb's cause. It was only until he saw that he was falling in love with Talisa did he start to abandon him. Just like the other Northman said, he lost the war when he married her.

Curufinwe

Hey guys I have this new exciting theory about Jon Snow you might like to hear...

No face proves he's dead.

NO-FACE-SQUALL-LEONHART-squall-leonhart-37702474-536-287.jpg

Lothar

Banned
from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.[/list]

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • Pullox
  • WhereAreMahDragonz
  • Lothar

Also feel free to PM me about anything GoT. Differences, want more history for a family, want to know more about what a character was thinking, general opinion or reactions about something, misgivings you have, etc..

Curufinwe

I wonder how many book readers are going to ignore this warning this season.

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

We've already got people doing it on the first page.

Ovid

what if Jon does come back but is a bad guy aligned with the ww for most of the time, something something cleansing fire and regular jon returns to wreck shit with tyrion and dany

I think it's time they let go and stopped remembering, it always ends so poorly for them

let this be the season the north forgives and forgets

Jon coming back as a bad guy aligned with the WW doesn't make sense lol. If the Night's King raised him from the dead himself, then thats a different story.

He did seem interested in him at Hardhome.

Khaz

Jon coming back as a bad guy aligned with the WW doesn't make sense lol. If the Night's King raised him from the dead himself, then thats a different story.

He did seem interested in him at Hardhome.

More like he was interested in his sword

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can anyone give a two paragraph summary of where we left off last season. I honestly don't remember and don't want to inadvertently spoil any book stuff with questions.

Also feel free to PM me about anything GoT. Differences, want more history for a family, want to know more about what a character was thinking, general opinion or reactions about something, misgivings you have, etc..
I'll also volunteer for non spoiler PM discussion for anyone who has questions about book related issues, differences, insight, etc.

And remember, don't read YouTube comments and similar stuff lol.

Ovid

Can anyone give a two paragraph summary of where we left off last season. I honestly don't remember and don't want to inadvertently spoil any book stuff with questions.
-Jon died
-Melisandre is back at The Wall feeling defeated and losing faith in The Lord of Light
-Sansa and Theon fled Winterfell.
-Tyrion is in Meeren with Varys, Misanda and Grey Worm
-Dany is surround by Dothroki
-Drogon is injured
-Jorah and Darrio are searching for Dany
-Jorah got "infected" by the Stone Men
-Cersi did her walk of atonement and was released by the High Sparrow
-The Mountain was "cured" by Qyburn and is now Zombie Mountain
-Loras and Margaery are still locked up
-Stannis aka the one true king was killed by Brianne
-Melisandre sacrificed Shireen (Stannis' daughter
-Selyse (Stannis' wife) committed suicide
-Arya is blind(?)

I will not get banned a third time in a GoT thread. I've never read the books, well, I read the first, but I got banned twice for talking about the books where I thought this was in the show. So I must've been spoiled down the road by reviews without noticing it.

Wish me luck.

Crispy75

From South to North, West to East:

Jaime's sailing back to King's Landing with Bron and his daughter's body, who was poisoned by Ellaria Sand.

In KL, Cersei is back in the Red Keep with Qyburn and Zombie Mountain, plotting her revenge against the High Sparrow who made her walk naked through the streets. Margary and Loras are still locked up by the Faith Militant and King Tommen is moping around in his bedroom

Baelish remains Lord of the Vale. His son by marriage to Lysa, Robin Arryn, is being trained up as a man by one of the knights of the vale.

The Greyjoys, remember them? They're back this season.

Stannis has been killed by Brienne, having burned his daughter alive and his army defeated in open combat by Roose Bolton's forces outside Winterfell. Roose rules the North and has married his legitimised bastard Ramsay to Sansa Stark in the hope of winning over the Northerners. Sansa has escaped with the help of Reek/Theon and is on the run.

Rickon and Osha are still at Last Hearth (which is even further north than Winterfell) with Stark bannermen, the Umbers.

At the wall, Jon Snow is dead, betrayed by his men. Aemon Targaryen is dead by old age. First Ranger Alliser Thorne now commands. Hundreds of Wildlings, rescued by Jon from the White Walker attack at Hardhome, are camped outside Castle Black, nominally led by Tormund Giantsbane. Mellisandre is there too. Samwell Tarly has left the castle, along with Gilly and Little Sam, for Old Town and the Citadel to become a maester.

North of the Wall, the Night's King leads the White Walkers in their unstoppable march South. Every conquest swells their army. Bran's training his warging magic with the One-Eyed Raven and the Children of the Forest, under a weird tree.

Over the narrow sea, Arya Stark has stolen a face from the house of black and white and killed Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard (he killed her fencing tutor back in S1). The Many-Faced God is displeased and has taken her sight as payment.

Daenerys escaped an uprising of the Sons of the Harpy in Mereen, by riding her dragon Drogon North. She has been captured by a Khalasar of Dothraki. Jorah (secretly infected with greyscale) and Daario go looking for her.

In Mereen, Varys, Tyrion, Grey Worm and Missandei rule in Daenerys' absence.

I think that's everything.

Yeah, Jon got stabbed like 50 times onscreen and everyone's talking about reviving him yet Stannis wasn't even shown about to be dead and they're already writing off mah boy

So much to look forward to this season. The latest thought that has occurred: Jaime's reaction to Cersei's imprisonment subsequent shaming by the Faith Militant.

I'm hoping the reaction brings back out some of Jaime's rage and personality before being captured by Locke. After all he encircled Eddard, fought him, and killed his 'pack of wolves' for Catelyn taking Tyrion prisoner. Or perhaps after everything he's been through, he will take a more calculated approach?

As for Stannis, he's a goner. Regardless of what Brienne does, the writers have him a corner. No army left, no family, no heirs, no Red Lady, stranded in the depths of the North, which is still controlled by the Boltons, and wounded.

Jon on the other hand benefits from plenty of foreshadowing, and pieces on the board being moved into place during season 5.

But people actually like Jon Snow...

I'm paraphrasing, but this little part in Season 5:

Nightwatchman: "We have less than (blah blah can't remember the rest)..."
Stannis: (to himself) "Fewer than..."
Davos: "Your grace?"
Stannis: "Nothing..."

instantly made me a fan of Stannis "The One True King of Grammar" Baratheon.

Ovid

I'm paraphrasing, but this little part in Season 5:

Nightwatchman: "We have less than (blah blah can't remember the rest)..."
Stannis: (to himself) "Fewer than..."
Davos: "Your grace?"
Stannis: "Nothing..."

instantly made me a fan of Stannis "The One True King of Grammar" Baratheon.
He would have been a good king if:

1. He wasn't such a serious person all the time
2. Didn't have Melisandre with him

I like to think of the Baratheon Bros. as what a king should be.

Renly - extremely likable personality
Robert - good war mind
Stannis - stern but fair and just (w/o Mel)

If you combined these attributes you would have a good king.

Yeah, Jon got stabbed like 50 times onscreen and everyone's talking about reviving him yet Stannis wasn't even shown about to be dead and they're already writing off mah boy
Stannis Mannis got his dumb head lobbed off. And rightly so.

As for the new season, I'm hoping they replaced their fight choreographers. Good god, the fight scenes in the last season were laughably bad. I cant believe a show this high budget overlooked that.

As for the new season, I'm hoping they replaced their fight choreographers. Good god, the fight scenes in the last season were laughably bad. I cant believe a show this high budget overlooked that.

Yeah seriously what the fuck, Season 1 had pretty bad choreography but they were slowly getting better and 5 completely dropped the ball. And it's not like the budget went to the VFX because the Dany scene was abysmal as well.

Stannis when asked about Season 5:
tumblr_inline_o5j219tMhA1rku3fs_540.gif

Atomic Odin

The Hound, too. :D

Oh shit, yes yes you are right!! The Hound cannot die yet, not while the mountain lives.

Nothing will top Oberyn fight choreography. *sogood.gif*

ElementaryMintyAruanas.gif

effzee

From South to North, West to East:

Jaime's sailing back to King's Landing with Bron and his daughter's body, who was poisoned by Ellaria Sand.

In KL, Cersei is back in the Red Keep with Qyburn and Zombie Mountain, plotting her revenge against the High Sparrow who made her walk naked through the streets. Margary and Loras are still locked up by the Faith Militant and King Tommen is moping around in his bedroom

Baelish remains Lord of the Vale. His son by marriage to Lysa, Robin Arryn, is being trained up as a man by one of the knights of the vale.

The Greyjoys, remember them? They're back this season.

Stannis has been killed by Brienne, having burned his daughter alive and his army defeated in open combat by Roose Bolton's forces outside Winterfell. Roose rules the North and has married his legitimised bastard Ramsay to Sansa Stark in the hope of winning over the Northerners. Sansa has escaped with the help of Reek/Theon and is on the run.

Rickon and Osha are still at Last Hearth (which is even further north than Winterfell) with Stark bannermen, the Umbers.

At the wall, Jon Snow is dead, betrayed by his men. Aemon Targaryen is dead by old age. First Ranger Alliser Thorne now commands. Hundreds of Wildlings, rescued by Jon from the White Walker attack at Hardhome, are camped outside Castle Black, nominally led by Tormund Giantsbane. Mellisandre is there too. Samwell Tarly has left the castle, along with Gilly and Little Sam, for Old Town and the Citadel to become a maester.

North of the Wall, the Night's King leads the White Walkers in their unstoppable march South. Every conquest swells their army.

Over the narrow sea, Arya Stark has stolen a face from the house of black and white and killed Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard (he killed her fencing tutor back in S1). The Many-Faced God is displeased and has taken her sight as payment.

Daenerys escaped an uprising of the Sons of the Harpy in Mereen, by riding her dragon Drogon North. She has been captured by a Khalasar of Dothraki. Jorah (secretly infected with greyscale) and Daario go looking for her.

In Mereen, Varys, Tyrion, Grey Worm and Missandei rule in Daenerys' absence.

I think that's everything.

2 points I highlighted in bold I had completely forgotten about.

Night's King origins were speculated upon last season. Did HBO ever provide an official answer or are we to find out this season?

Also would love to see the Wildlings reaction to Jon Snow's murder.

He would have been a good king if:

2. Didn't have Melisandre with him

I think he took things too far because of Meli, but he wouldn't have even been a contender if it wasn't for her. It seemed to me that he had no faith or confidence in himself without her having to constantly reassure him. He'd just be holed up in Dragonstone bitter that he's not the rightful king instead of taking action.

Ovid

Oh shit, yes yes you are right!! The Hound cannot die yet, not while the mountain lives.

Nothing will top Oberyn fight choreography. *sogood.gif*

ElementaryMintyAruanas.gif
He fell off of a cliff didn't he. His legs are broken for sure.

He's in the middle of nowhere without a maester in sight. I don't care how strong the Cleganes are, I think he bled out. If not, he had massive internal injuries.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Still love this show. Just days away now.

Need to refresh on some previous season stuff. Exciting!

Stannis: Lord of light let my people pass

LoL: Ehh you got a half assed mercenary army not used to fighting in the snow maybe you should....

Stannis: I'M READY LET MY ARMY PASS

LoL: Look, your supplies are destroyed and half your army is gone. Stay and fight the WWs.

Stannis: I burned my kid please let my people go.

LoL: Please proceed governor

Curufinwe

Yeah seriously what the fuck, Season 1 had pretty bad choreography but they were slowly getting better and 5 completely dropped the ball. And it's not like the budget went to the VFX because the Dany scene was abysmal as well.

You sound like you missed episode 8 somehow.

Jacob4815

Can anyone explain me the last Arya scene in season 5?

Is The Waif the "real Jaqen"? And then there is a "fake Jaqen" drinking the poison... and his last mask is the Arya's face. So the Faceless Men can use also the faces of the livings, not only the faces of the deads?

I'm really confused.

Roussow

If that really is how Stannis died, if it wasn't just some editing misdirection cutting away in that scene -- that's a really strange way to edit it, I mean it was basically the equivalent of sword equivalent of gunshot/cut-to-black, which is just odd when not used at the end of an episode. I just feel like Stannis deserved a better send-off, ah well, at least the rest of that scene was pretty fantastic.

In regards to the Hound, he can totally come back, wouldn't be shocked at all to see that honestly. But at the very least his "final" scene made sense, there's good reason we didn't see him die given Arya's perspective on the situation.

Is The Waif the "real Jaqen"? And then there is a "fake Jaqen" drinking the poison... and his last mask is the Arya's face. So the Faceless Men can use also the faces of the livings, not only the faces of the deads?

I'm really confused.

Magic? Magic.

I'm really confused.

I think Jaqen is just another face, and the owner of the face has been long dead. I'm guessing it was just another person giving themselves to the Faceless Men that agreed to take the face of Jaqen before sacrificing themselves.

As far as Arya seeing herself, maybe it was just a hallucination or illusion, or it signified that Arya Stark herself is dead, not the body/vessell, but the name and identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom