• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 6 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Odin

Can anyone explain me the last Arya scene in season 5?

Is The Waif the "real Jaqen"? And then there is a "fake Jaqen" drinking the poison... and his last mask is the Arya's face. So the Faceless Men can use also the faces of the livings, not only the faces of the deads?

I'm really confused.

The "real Jaqen" is perhaps dead & is only used as a face by various faceless/no ones. The ones at Braavos probably only used it so that Arya could get some sense of familiarity with her mentor(s).

edit: beaten like Robin Arryn in a swordfight

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really have my doubts about Stannis and the Hound being dead, their "deaths" were never explicitly showed.

Brienne fucking hate Stannis because she blames him for Renly's death. She wanted him dead for that since, what, season 2?
Why would she spare him? Because he was unarmed and weak?

Ridli

Hah, I completely forgot about the sizeable wildling population just hanging around I the north now.

RIP in peace wildling mom from episode 8.

Brienne fucking hate Stannis because she blames him for Renly's death. She wanted him dead for that since, what, season 2?

Well a lot of people questioned it because, for one they didn't show it. Another reason being is that he told her to do her duty, which may have reminded her that her real duty now was to keep Sansa safe, so she may have spared him. Though that's a pretty silly argument since a swing of the sword takes seconds and she could have taken off his head and carried on.

He's dead though, it was confirmed on the HBO character bio's that he was deceased. So there should be no arguing it after that. Doesn't mean he won't reanimate in the cold as Slighly Headless Stannis though, lol.

NO BOOK SPOILERS NO BOOK SPOILERS NO BOOK SPOILERS

Heh. There are no books to spoil.

Don't know if this is come up yet but...

Anyone else worried that the producers are wanting a way out of this series? Last year there was the big discussion of how HBO wanted it to run for 10 seasons and D&D were saying 7 tops. Now we're looking at 8 seasons and they're talking about cutting back the episodes in season 7 and 8. Starting to wonder if they just don't have the confidence to take this on themselves without Martin's books to guide them. Or...they're just tired of it. Either scenario would be tragic.

Szeth

Anyone else worried that the producers are wanting a way out of this series? Last year there was the big discussion of how HBO wanted it to run for 10 seasons and D&D were saying 7 tops. Now we're looking at 8 seasons and they're talking about cutting back the episodes in season 7 and 8. Starting to wonder if they just don't have the confidence to take this on themselves without Martin's books to guide them. Or...they're just tired of it. Either scenario would be tragic.

They've known the end game for 2 or 3 years now and want to finish the story without needlessly stretching it out because of the network. They cited Breaking Bad as an inspiration for how it ended. I'd be far more worried if they announced a season 9 or 10.

Just imagine a whole season's time and budget for 6 or 7 episodes instead of 10 and weep at how glorious that could be.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They've known the end game for 2 or 3 years now and want to finish the story without needlessly stretching it out because of the network. They cited Breaking Bad as an inspiration for how it ended. I'd be far more worried if they announced a season 9 or 10.

Just imagine a whole season's time and budget for 6 or 7 episodes instead of 10 and weep at how glorious that could be.
Its hard to believe that we can get to the end game in 23 episodes though. All the main antagonists are still separated by oceans/walls/death and have taken 50 episodes to get where they are now.

Nameless

Yeah...

"You're my daughter. I went looking for healers all over Westeros to save you. You're the princess Baratheon." *hugs her*
*Best dad/king of the year, fans cheers all over the world! Way to go Stannis the Mannis*

"lol jk sorry but i gotta burn you alive"

They didn't "do" anything to Stannis. People always like to ignore the fact that what he did was a last ditch effort to preserve a prophecy on which the whole of humanity rests, or so he believes. In his eyes if he fails the world ends and Shireen dies anyway. It doesn't magically invalidate the love he had for his daughter, and Dillane did a great job conveying utter torment in the time he had to work with.

Scarfo

Banned

Not only that but they want to shorten the final two seasons. Season 7 will have 7 episodes, and season 8 will have just 6.

adj_noun

From South to North, West to East:

Jaime's sailing back to King's Landing with Bron and his daughter's body, who was poisoned by Ellaria Sand.

In KL, Cersei is back in the Red Keep with Qyburn and Zombie Mountain, plotting her revenge against the High Sparrow who made her walk naked through the streets. Margary and Loras are still locked up by the Faith Militant and King Tommen is moping around in his bedroom

Baelish remains Lord of the Vale. His son by marriage to Lysa, Robin Arryn, is being trained up as a man by one of the knights of the vale.

The Greyjoys, remember them? They're back this season.

Stannis has been killed by Brienne, having burned his daughter alive and his army defeated in open combat by Roose Bolton's forces outside Winterfell. Roose rules the North and has married his legitimised bastard Ramsay to Sansa Stark in the hope of winning over the Northerners. Sansa has escaped with the help of Reek/Theon and is on the run.

Rickon and Osha are still at Last Hearth (which is even further north than Winterfell) with Stark bannermen, the Umbers.

At the wall, Jon Snow is dead, betrayed by his men. Aemon Targaryen is dead by old age. First Ranger Alliser Thorne now commands. Hundreds of Wildlings, rescued by Jon from the White Walker attack at Hardhome, are camped outside Castle Black, nominally led by Tormund Giantsbane. Mellisandre is there too. Samwell Tarly has left the castle, along with Gilly and Little Sam, for Old Town and the Citadel to become a maester.

North of the Wall, the Night's King leads the White Walkers in their unstoppable march South. Every conquest swells their army. Bran's training his warging magic with the One-Eyed Raven and the Children of the Forest, under a weird tree.

Over the narrow sea, Arya Stark has stolen a face from the house of black and white and killed Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard (he killed her fencing tutor back in S1). The Many-Faced God is displeased and has taken her sight as payment.

Daenerys escaped an uprising of the Sons of the Harpy in Mereen, by riding her dragon Drogon North. She has been captured by a Khalasar of Dothraki. Jorah (secretly infected with greyscale) and Daario go looking for her.

In Mereen, Varys, Tyrion, Grey Worm and Missandei rule in Daenerys' absence.

I think that's everything.

And Gendry is still rowing.

Help her with Sansa maybe.

The show doesn't shy away from deaths and gore so not showing it is a clear indication something's up.

Ovid

Exactly.

I just don't get the reasoning behind why people think she spared him.

She swore a vow to Lady Catelyn about avenging Renly too. Brianne is all about vows and honor. What Stannis did was dishonorable. There is no way she would forgive him.

KorrZ

Exactly.

I just don't get the reasoning behind why people think she spared him.

She swore a vow to Lady Catelyn about avenging Renly too. Brianne is all about vows and honor. What Stannis did was dishonorable. There is no way she would forgive him.

Is it honorable to strike down an unarmed, wounded man?

I'm not on team Stannis is alive but I do think that the situation might cause someone so hell bent on honor like Brienne to pause.

TeddyBoy

Are we allowed to speculate based on the episode titles?

Since the third episode is called Oathbreaker, I presume that will feature Brienne since her sword is called Oathkeeper.

Skux

So glad I get a break from the show I'm in to watch this. Can't stand even being a few hours behind lest some dipstick spoils it online.

#TeamDavos

Since the third episode is called Oathbreaker, I presume that will feature Brienne since her sword is called Oathkeeper.

I am guessing but

Brienne swore an oath to kill Stannis right? what if Stannis is alive?

Ovid

While this is almost certainly the case, I like to think he's circumnavigated the world at least twice by now.
Lol
Is it honorable to strike down an unarmed, wounded man?

I'm not on team Stannis is alive but I do think that the situation might cause someone so hell bent on honor like Brienne to pause.
Uh, yeah.

She's serving justice. It doesn't matter if he's wounded. He was caught and now he's being executed for his crime against her king.

TeddyBoy

I am guessing but

Brienne swore an oath to kill Stannis right? what if Stannis is alive?

That would be interesting, but would be a little weird since it really seems his story is finished after last season so there isn't a narrative reason to bring him back.

On Demand

Banned
So now book readers have to watch out for show watchers? What a ironic turn of events.

Thread title should have just been "Game of Thrones *NO BOOK* Season 6"

As I understand it, the show has passed the books correct? There's nothing left for them to spoil. Weird feeling. I hope the writers can live up to the shows standards going on their own.

As I understand it, the show has passed the books correct? There's nothing left for them to spoil. Weird feeling. I hope the writers can live up to the shows standards going on their own.

There are multiple arcs from multiple books in this upcoming season, hence why we've warned folks not to read youtube comments and other things.

dLMN8R

And that's why these threads have always been "no book discussion at all". Because some people care about the mere idea of knowing whether which medium might be further along in each storyline, or how the storylines could diverge between them.

In certain cases the TV show could be "ahead" of the books from a timeline perspective, but there could be specific details from the books not in previous TV show seasons that come up now, which would still make them brand new to the TV show.

iNvid02

zZHzFUp.gif

Ovid

So now book readers have to watch out for show watchers? What a ironic turn of events.

Not true.

The now banned PhoenixDark (perm'd?) told me that there are still things in the book that haven't happened yet.

I consulted with him after Seasons 4 and 5 so that I could read Books 1-3 and not be spoiled by anything that hasn't happened on the show.

Let's try to not mention the books anymore. Just show stuff in this thread.

Venture

I wasn't down on season 5 like a lot of people here seemed to be, I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I have to admit I'm not feeling the same excitement going into this season. I'm sure I'll get right back into it once it starts. I like to rewatch the entire series before every season and just started on that today so I'll probably have to catch up with season 6.

The show doesn't shy away from deaths and gore so not showing it is a clear indication something's up.
That was one of my main complaints about last season. Was it ever explained why it was shot that way? If that was the end of the Brienne and Stannis plot it was really unsatisfying. Maybe that was the point they were trying to make.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This is the first season that I am not super hyped that it's coming back. Season 5 really did a number on me :(

I'm still in it for Khaleesi+Tyrion+Arya+Jon.

poppabk

Help her with Sansa maybe.

I wonder if they had to be careful not to unequivocally kill some of the characters if they hadn't been killed categorically in the books.

Nameless

That makes the most sense, but I'm going to hope it means Jon
murdering the entire
Night's Watch.

poppabk

The show is its own thing.
Yeah but if say the book had Tyrion say that tywin was thrown down a well (but offscreen so to speak) and then the show has him killed onscreen, only for tywin to come back in the books to play a pivotal role then it could cause major issues.

poppabk

Knock off the book talk, please.
Sorry, I am not really talking about the books as I haven't read them, more potential production issues related to filming an unfinished story that is being written by someone who isn't writing the show. It's kind of a weird situation when you think about it, must be incredibly hard.

BTM

So just finished watching Hardhome on my season 5 re-watch. It is still absolutely amazing and just might be my favorite GoT episode yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom