• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GamerGate thread 2: it's about feminism in games journalism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if Oliver Campbell is reliable, because :

tMh9z86.png

https://twitter.com/oliverbcampbell/status/529849310024712193

why is this not surprising coming from you

Could we maybe have a moratorium on taking Gamergaters' dumb conspiracy theories seriously? Especially when the targets are women who have received death threats.

CLEEK

I'm sorry, but why would Anita (or which ever woman these people hate) send a death threat to herself and then get the FBI involved.

...That just doesn't make sense. P:

It doesn't means it's one of the high profile victims. Someone could have reported abuse to Twitter/Facebook/Whovever, who then contacted the authorities, who then found the claims to be untrue.

False claims do happen. There was the thing a few months ago, when TwoX (feminist leaning sub) was made a default sub on Reddit. The moment it became default, a large number of long term subscribers claimed they started getting harassing/abusive/sexist messages from men who now discovered the sub, and demanded the sub be removed from the default list.

The Reddit admins investigated, and found two actual cases. The rest were either false claims that people had received abusive messages when they hadn't, and some women had set up alt accounts and send abusive threats to themselves.

Gender wars are serious business.

zeldablue

It doesn't means it's one of the high profile victims. Someone could have reported abuse to Twitter/Facebook/Whovever, who then contacted the authorities, who then found the claims to be untrue.

False claims do happen. There was the thing a few months ago, when TwoX (feminist leaning sub) was made a default sub on Reddit. The moment it became default, a large number of long term subscribers claimed they started getting harassing/abusive/sexist messages from men who now discovered the sub, and demanded the sub be removed from the default list.

The Reddit admins investigated, and found two actual cases. The rest were either false claims that people had received abusive messages when they hadn't, and some women had set up alt accounts and send abusive threats to themselves.

Gender wars are serious business.

I don't doubt it one bit.

But it is still insanely stupid.

MYeager

Considering he uses the phrase "Party Van" and his only platform is Twitter but he claims to know about active investigations in the FBI, DHS, and FTC... I'm going to assume he's making it up until there's evidence to show otherwise.

I don't know what the odds are of the FTC, DHS and FTC working together in a joint case against women who claimed death threats on Twitter, and that they notified someone with no connection otherwise who immediately talked about the case online, on the same day that a different source sent KingofPol alleged Facebook posts by the head of Gawker media claiming he's been financing the anti-movement. But I'm going to go guess they're long ones.

Christine

You don't think it's possible for someone's positions to be too far left with respect to social progressivism?

That's basically what SJW means: it's an insult that says "this person takes social progressivism too far." Gun nuts take the 2nd amendment too far, libertopians take individual responsibility and free market capitalism too far, communists take government assistance and wealth redistribution too far, and SJWs take social progressivism too far. All of these are great things in moderation, but if you take it to its extreme, things just become silly.

"Too far" is, of course, subjective, but to say that it's illegitimate to think someone takes it too far just seems ignorant. There's a point at which trigger warnings become excessive. There's a point at which fat acceptance becomes excessive. There's a point at which dislike for sexualized imagery becomes excessive. There's a point at which requiring affirmative consent becomes excessive. There's a point at which accommodating the disabled becomes excessive.

On the basis of argument and provided examples, I accept the general claim that there is a point at which a given action or attitude becomes excessive in consequence with respect to a certain goal.

Which positions relating to progressive advocacy are involved in this particular calculus? How far left do they have to be to earn a pejorative TLA?

What, exactly, is at stake in all this?

That's really the question. Ask it of me if you're interested; you should really be asking it of yourself if you're reading this tho.

Corpekata

Banned
Juice Bro Lawyer is saying he's now spent over 10 grand on his "investigations" and that someone will be going to prison. Also that he's turned someone into a mole to infiltrate the cabal.

So yeah, conspiracy theories afoot tonight.

Could we maybe have a moratorium on taking Gamergaters' dumb conspiracy theories seriously? Especially when the targets are women who have received death threats.
No need. No one takes them seriously anyway. Well, no sane person takes them seriously. It's somewhere between watching a trainwreck slowly happening, wanting to bash your head into your desk, and having legitimate pity for anyone who participates.

Having a place to groan and laugh about this stuff while letting off a little steam is a good thing, and the moderators take care of things well.
Juice Bro Lawyer is saying he's now spent over 10 grand on his "investigations" and that someone will be going to prison. Also that he's turned someone into a mole to infiltrate the cabal.

I freaking love that guy. He's just barely inside the bounds of insanity such that he's not quite a threat to anyone and still hilarious to watch.

L Thammy

Again, the majority of private eyes are hired to investigate cheating spouses. Considering that he's hired one to track Zoe Quinn, I think we can guess what the conspiracies will be.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
"Too far" is, of course, subjective, but to say that it's illegitimate to think someone takes it too far just seems ignorant. There's a point at which trigger warnings become excessive. There's a point at which fat acceptance becomes excessive. There's a point at which dislike for sexualized imagery becomes excessive. There's a point at which requiring affirmative consent becomes excessive. There's a point at which accommodating the disabled becomes excessive.
I literally think that there is no point where these things become excessive, and the thought that people think any of these can become excessive (too much consent? too accommodating for people with disabilities?) is pretty sickening.

No, what's crazy is you're so caught up in this bullshit you actually thought that Facebook update you posted was real. That's the level you went to so you could find something to argue against.

You must have the wrong person. I didn't post anything from Facebook.

I just didn't want to go with what I assumed you meant. anted to make sure I wasn't putting words in your mouth. Seeing as you did mean it in it's common pejorative sense we can move on.

SJW isn't a group. You set them opposite them to 4chan. 4chan is pretty easily defined as people who post there. Even #Gamergate, the amorphous blob that it is, is more definable. At least some people use the hashtag to identify themselves. There is not really a group that self defines as SJW. SJW is a pejorative term that was created by the same circles as those that identify as Gamergaters. It is a word they use to define their perceived enemy. You can go to 8chan or KiA and see how it is used.

How does it make sense to say:

You are setting a group against it's own self defined boogeyman. It doesn't make sense. You are creating a group to disparage.

Lets look at your definition:

Do you really think that there is a large group of people who think that they can effect social change by whining? This definition is so general, so broad and so contemptible that it can be levied against almost any group one disagrees with. It's a nothing term. An empty vessel that people just fill with bile and lob across the internet at people.

Social change is pretty common. Historically the answer to your question is to constantly create awareness of the issue, humanize the issue, and create constant social pressure. Such things can take decades but they can and do happen.

Social change isn't created by changing the way people think. Social change only comes after a generational transition as an older generation ages out of relevance and a younger generation takes over. The only social pressure that really matters is on young kids and young adults, and then, only to an extent. Its nonsensical to think you can change everyone, including a group of people who get their kicks stirring up trouble and trying get a reaction from people to pass the time, by preaching to the vast majority of people who already have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior.

SJW is a term of convenience used to describe a specific type of person you encounter online. It's not nearly as vague as you claim, especially given the fact that I qualified the term by referencing ultra-liberal feminist activists specifically. Don't like the term? Fine. I'll continue to use it as long as it serves it's purpose though. I've already said that the term is irrelevant to my point about the polarizing nature of the GamerGate discussion. I don't care what you call Zoe Quinn or anyone else victimized by GamerGate, for all practical purposes they merely represent a side that people align themselves with.

Water

I'm sorry, but why would Anita (or which ever woman these people hate) send a death threat to herself and then get the FBI involved.

...That just doesn't make sense. P:

Yeah, it's not like people would ever fake high-profile hate crimes, criminal threats and harassment upon themselves for fame, validation or to advance their social justice agenda.
For Anita specifically to fake threats at this point wouldn't make sense, though. She's already got all the fame she needs to get paid years into the future.

Social change isn't created by changing the way people think. Social change only comes after a generational transition as an older generation ages out of relevance and a younger generation takes over. The only social pressure that really matters is on young kids and young adults, and then, only to an extent. Its nonsensical to think you can change everyone, including a group of people who get their kicks stirring up trouble and trying get a reaction from people to pass the time, by preaching to the vast majority of people who already have zero tolerance for that kind of behavior.

This thesis is completely incorrect. I can simply point to everything that led up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and say that.

I'm actually rather perplexed to hear someone say this given American history.

zeldablue

Yeah, it's not like people would ever fake high-profile hate crimes, criminal threats and harassment upon themselves for fame, validation or to advance their social justice agenda.
For Anita specifically to fake threats at this point wouldn't make sense, though. She's already got all the fame she needs to get paid years into the future.
Haha, wow. I'd hate to be a victim of a hate-crime. People get so worked up about it, I feel like more people would try to kill me after the crime whether it was fake or not.

But I guess if that makes people "happy"...? I don't see why you would fake death threats when there's plenty of people already sending real death threats though. There's more than enough proof of vengeful hatred already. :S

Sceptic

Banned
Wasn't part of the original zoe post indicating she made up threats to get publicity for her game? I kind of wish someone reputable actually investigated this at the start instead of decrying it and saying gamers are dead.

It was all for the cash yo

Wasn't part of the original zoe post indicating she made up threats to get publicity for her game? I kind of wish someone reputable actually investigated this at the start instead of decrying it and saying gamers are dead.

Have you stopped to think why nobody reputable is bothering

Christ. Do we have to start all over from the beginning?
TLDR; No, and no sane person believes that. Don't risk your membership on this.
I also have no idea what dots you're connecting to reach the end statement.

You must have the wrong person. I didn't post anything from Facebook.

SJW is a term of convenience used to describe a specific type of person you encounter online. It's not nearly as vague as you claim, especially given the fact that I qualified the term by referencing ultra-liberal feminist activists specifically. Don't like the term? Fine. I'll continue to use it as long as it serves it's purpose though. I've already said that the term is irrelevant to my point about the polarizing nature of the GamerGate discussion. I don't care what you call Zoe Quinn or anyone else victimized by GamerGate, for all practical purposes they merely represent a side that people align themselves with.

You can say whatever you like I, and other in this thread it seems, am just calling you out on it. I agree that it is a term of convenience which is my entire problem with it. It's a nice neat little box to categorize people with. It is as intellectually lazy as it is harmful.

I will also point out that you are forming a pattern in this thread where you claim things are irrelevant once someone questions them.

This thesis is completely incorrect. I can simply point to everything that led up to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and say that.

I'm actually rather perplexed to hear someone say this given American history.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

zeldablue

Have you stopped to think why nobody reputable is bothering

Pfft. Lol. You know. I'd be okay with a few GG-ers and "anti"-GG-ers getting a nice time out for anything that ends up being real. But all I really see is a lot of defamation that hardly makes any logical sense. I don't think that many people would wish for this kind of harassment in their lives (and families' lives.)

Water

I literally think that there is no point where these things become excessive, and the thought that people think any of these can become excessive (too much consent? too accommodating for people with disabilities?) is pretty sickening.
Of course you can take them too far.
Do you think all sex is rape unless everybody involved has signed a consent document in advance and had it notarized?
Or suppose you have a cathedral that has a tower with a magnificent view, which is accessible only by a narrow winding staircase, and the whole place is protected as a historical site so no structural alterations are possible. Should people in wheelchairs be hoisted to the top with a construction crane permanently parked outside, or perhaps flown up with a helicopter no matter what the cost? Nothing is too excessive, right? Or should everyone be prohibited from going up to see the view just because 1% can't do it?

Trame

Bolded is a bit of an exaggeration, based on poor wording in the initial comment (initial comment here, see clarification here). The admins found that of people about whom a direct report was sent to r/reddit.com modmail, 2-4 had received multiple harassing PMs. Many of the other reports had in fact involved people receiving a single harassing PM, which was (incorrectly) reported to the admins as multiple PMs. The figure doesn't include people who reported PMs by actually clicking the "report" button next to the PM (which goes into a different queue), or people who didn't even try to report (in which case the system isn't even aware of it).

You're right in that they did find a number of people fabricating harassment, but I don't think it's as prevalent as your post implied. It's also worth mentioning that most of the reports send to the r/reddit.com modmail were sent by third parties, i.e., the person claimed they received harassment on the subreddit, but did not actually report it to the admins, and instead a concerned 3rd party sent something to the admins saying "this person is being harassed, do something!" It's unsurprising fabricated reports would show up under this system because people who are fabricating harassment had no reason to report it to the admins (the only possible outcome is the admin sees they're lying or bans their alt account).

Similarly, while it's likely that some people have fabricated harassment during GamerGate, the odds that those same people got federal authorities involved is extremely low (no benefit other than you can say you did, extreme massive downside when they find out you filed a false report and wasted their time and money). Still could have happened, I guess, since sometimes people do incredibly stupid things. But I'm not convinced the source is trustworthy.

The problem is that no one reputable is going to believe a rambling exes open letter of internet revenge.

Ethics and all that.

Of course you can take them too far.
Do you think all sex is rape unless everybody involved has signed a consent document in advance and had it notarized?
Or suppose you have a cathedral that has a tower with a magnificent view, which is accessible only by a narrow winding staircase, and the whole place is protected as a historical site so no structural alterations are possible. Should people in wheelchairs be hoisted to the top with a construction crane permanently parked outside, or perhaps flown up with a helicopter no matter what the cost? Nothing is too excessive, right? Or should everyone be prohibited from going up to see the view just because 1% can't do it?

This is satire, right?

SwissLion

So for anyone interested in that breakdown of TotalBiscuit's google post I've got it all up and ready to go on Medium.

Or at least the working draft? I dunno how this site works.

I was gonna send it to twitter people and maybe chuck it on GamerGhazi but I'd appreciate any comments or feedback before I do so.

I tried to get sourced stuff for direct claims but couldn't get much referring to more general happenings so if anyone has any kind of source on hand for whatever reason that fits a hole in there that'd be cool too.

This really honestly is the single most complete and reasonable Pro-GG account of the situation I've ever seen and considering I had well over twice the original post's length in corrections by the end that really should tell you something.

I've said it before but GamerGate's bullshit is really hard to debunk all at once, because nobody ever gives it to you all at once. As soon as you think you have a good answer for everything people remind you that they thought (still think?) that Phil Fish is going to be arrested for racketeering.

So in that way TB's post isn't a complete picture. But it does seem to contain most if not all of the sanest claims to legitimacy, while avoiding the obvious nuttery, whose proponents will never be convinced anyway.

So yeah. Comments, feedback, corrections. Anything. I'll probably finalise it and send it out tonight while I'm bored at work.

JackDT

10,000 dollars investigating Zoe Quinn? Truly a man working towards ethical gaming journalism.

Water

This is satire, right?

No, I think this is technically argumentum ad absurdum; I'm just pointing out how crazy Lambtron's stated position actually is. If I didn't ask questions, but instead stated these as my own position and "agreed" with him, that would be satire.

Even if the conspiracy theories are true, there's no version of this where GamerGate comes out looking like the good guys. At the very best, they take some poor souls down with them. At best.

L Thammy

/gg/'s latest sticky has them checking SJW sites for hidden ads to attack. Because some Gawker ads are commented out in HTML.

...If you're hiding an ad, doesn't that mean you're not dealing with the advertiser?

"Dear sir or madam, please stop running the ads you aren't actually running." Doesn't make sense to me.

Corpekata

Banned
Wait Oliver Campbell was the guy that complained about the Stanley Parable's tasteless jokes and very directly had a hand in having them changed, and GG has embraced him?

nynt9

This is of course a science fiction short film but not based on real life but it's a very thought provoking and award winning piece based on Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron" that explores the idea you find sickening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-hEfqpxIg

(that's a reupload, the official upload is here with a trailer and you can watch it for $2.99 which is totally worth it imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvqsv1pPSbg )

Here's more about the original work by Vonnegut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron

/gg/'s latest sticky has them checking SJW sites for hidden ads to attack. Because some Gawker ads are commented out in HTML.

...If you're hiding an ad, doesn't that mean you're not dealing with the advertiser?

"Dear sir or madam, please stop running the ads you aren't actually running." Doesn't make sense to me.

iirc from the tweets I saw you're not supposed to hide Google Adsense ads and doing so can get you banned from the program so I assume they're trying to find if Gawker's violating that policy. While it sounds like a really stupid effort and I don't really see the point, Gawker shouldn't be violating the policies of their ad providers, assuming the accusations are true, of course.

Orayn

nynt9, I really don't think Harrison Bergeron is meant to be a cautionary tale about what will happen if we're too accommodating toward people with disabilities. It's a satire of equality of outcome, which is a much more general concept.

Wait Oliver Campbell was the guy that complained about the Stanley Parable's tasteless jokes and very directly had a hand in having them changed, and GG has embraced him?

GG is so forgiving, just like with Milo's comments on gamers.

MYeager

This is of course a science fiction short film but not based on real life but it's a very thought provoking and award winning piece based on Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron" that explores the idea you find sickening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4-hEfqpxIg

(that's a reupload, the official upload is here with a trailer and you can watch it for $2.99 which is totally worth it imo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvqsv1pPSbg )

Here's more about the original work by Vonnegut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron

What's weird about that as an example is that it was satire written by Vonnegut during the cold war(Orayn put it better than I did). He was actually very far left and respected a lot of socialist ideas. A better example might be Ayn Rand's Anthem. It's still an incredibly simplistic fictional take on the subject though.

L Thammy

Hmm...This is like a gender-swap of the Quinnspiracy.

Defamed by a jilted ex-girlfriend. Gamergate is both spreading his defamation and also kind of supporting him? I can't tell, but he seems to be a feminist figure.

The take-away for me seems to be that ex's are completely insane and need to stay away from social media after break-ups. :S

Wait, Jian Ghomeshi? He's accused of abusing women. A claim in a newspaper article I read yesterday was that he was on a date with a woman (don't remember the name) and just randomly started choking her.

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

The Toronto Star published the allegations of three women who said that they experienced violence from Ghomeshi without consent, as well as a former CBC colleague who alleged that Ghomeshi had sexually harassed her in the workplace.[32] A fifth woman gave an interview to CBC Radio's As It Happens on October 29, also alleging that Ghomeshi physically abused her without her consent on their first date.[33] By October 30, nine women had approached media outlets with abuse allegations against Ghomeshi.[34] Actress Lucy DeCoutere was the first woman to agree to the publication of her name in conjunction with the allegations,[35] followed by author and lawyer Reva Seth.[36]

Don't remember the names, but that matches the story I read.

nynt9

nynt9, I really don't think Harrison Bergeron is meant to be a cautionary tale about what will happen if we're too accommodating toward people with disabilities. It's a satire of equality of outcome, which is a much more general concept.

GG is so forgiving, just like with Milo's comments on gamers.

What's weird about that as an example is that it was satire written by Vonnegut during the cold war(Orayn put it better than I did). He was actually very far left and respected a lot of socialist ideas. A better example might be Ayn Rand's Anthem. It's still an incredibly simplistic fictional take on the subject though.

Yeah I'm not presenting it as a rebuttal, just as food for thought in general. I just wanted to plug the piece because I like it :)

Just to make it clearer, I know that it's not a valid counter argument or anything. It's just a cool work of art that's very mildly relevant.

Firestorm

Defamed by a jilted ex-girlfriend. Gamergate is both spreading his defamation and also kind of supporting him? I can't tell, but he seems to be a feminist figure.

The take-away for me seems to be that ex's are completely insane and need to stay away from social media after break-ups. :S
He was a very popular radio personality in Canada on our public broadcaster, CBC (think like BBC in Canada). You saw his story there. He was fired. Shortly after he got that post up, the Toronto Star put out an article with three women who had come forward to them about being assaulted by him. I believe six more have come forward since then. His PR company has dropped him due to lying to them.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...t_of_violence_sexual_abuse_or_harassment.html

There was an article a while back by someone who had gone out with an unnamed radio personality that she didn't name but people assumed was Ghomeshi. It was a very poor date and she wrote about it. She was sent threats and whatnot much like the women targeted by GamerGate.

Anyone know if Oliver Campbell is reliable, because :

Think seriously about how plausible the idea that multiple government agencies are collectiely engaging in a serious investigation of indie game devs with no money and pop culture websites that were maybe mean one time is.

mo60

I have seen people using that situation to talk about how zoey deserved to get stuff leaked about her by her ex which is pathetic when Jian won't face even half of what Zoey faced since he came out about a part of his story and because of his gender to an extent.What he did if it was true was way worse than what zoey ever did, but I wished it also stayed in private.

zeldablue

Wait, Jian Ghomeshi? He's accused of abusing women. A claim in a newspaper article I read yesterday was that he was on a date with a woman (don't remember the name) and just randomly started choking her.

EDIT: From Wikipedia:

Don't remember the names, but that matches the story I read.

I am literally the worst when it comes to digging stuff up. The allegations looked to be false but his reputation ruined. I just don't see why people pull the internet into this kind of drama. It's awful. Handle this in private with people who know what's going on.

He was a very popular radio personality in Canada on our public broadcaster, CBC (think like BBC in Canada). You saw his story there. He was fired. Shortly after he got that post up, the Toronto Star put out an article with three women who had come forward to them about being assaulted by him. I believe six more have come forward since then. His PR company has dropped him due to lying to them.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...arassment.html

There was an article a while back by someone who had gone out with an unnamed radio personality that she didn't name but people assumed was Ghomeshi. It was a very poor date and she wrote about it. She was sent threats and whatnot much like the women targeted by GamerGate.

Wha...what is wrong with this world. I need to go back to just talking about videogames. o___e

MYeager

Yeah I'm not presenting it as a rebuttal, just as food for thought in general. I just wanted to plug the piece because I like it :)

Just to make it clearer, I know that it's not a valid counter argument or anything. It's just a cool work of art that's very mildly relevant.

I'm a fan of Vonnegut's and never mind when his work is shared :) I've just seen the story interpreted in ways I think the author would've never intended.

Think seriously about how plausible the idea that multiple government agencies are collectiely engaging in a serious investigation of indie game devs with no money and pop culture websites that were maybe mean one time is.
Well, in the defense of the conspiracy-writers, it's not like US government law enforcement agencies spend their time prosecuting useful stuff like political corruption and corporate tax evasion. Who knows what they do in their weekly meetings! They might just pull random alleged conspiracies out of a hat for all we know.

Geek

Ninny Prancer

You joke, but some people might have downloaded a free game under false pretenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom