• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Impressions from the show floor.

Polymath

Neo Member
So yeah went to gamescom for the first time this year.
Made some pictures from and around gamescom that i would like to share.

PS: I'm not a photographer and the camera i was using didn't make it easier either :p

49bqL.png

49bn0.png

49btS.png

49ch7.png

49ddI.png

49deo.png

49deX.png

49dfv.png

49di2.png

49diD.png

49dj5.png

49djL.png

49dkm.png

49dBg.png

49dBZ.png

49dFA.png

49dGc.png

49e2p.png

49e8t.png

Yeah sorry for the big ass post. hope you guys like them.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkdTzf1zs4Y

Liamario

Banned
I'd love to go to Gamescom, but those crowds are ridiculous. They should limit non press people to one day. That really is crazy.
I can understand how people have so much complaints about queuing. I'm surprised that the waiting times are only a couple of hours.

No thanks.

Polymath

Neo Member
I'd love to go to Gamescom, but those crowds are ridiculous. They should limit non press people to one day. That really is crazy.
I can understand how people have so much complaints about queuing. I'm surprised that the waiting times are only a couple of hours.

No thanks.

Despite it being very crowded it's still an awesome experience to be there.
The Queue times where actually about 4-6 hours for the big games though.

Dawg

Well, it sure as hell wasn't that crowded on wednesday.

I remember non-press people running around in the business area before 1PM though. That was kinda irritating, since most of my appointments were there and regular people made it crowdy despite them not being able to do anything there.

Took gamescom staff long enough to "seal it off" with them requiring to show your press ID before being able to enter.

Atrophis

Oh shit. I'm heading down tomorrow, it's gonna be even worse :/

Though I haven't been in yet I have walked around the place just to scope things out. There are billboards for PS4 and Beyond everywhere. Even adverts for Destiny. Haven't seen a single Xbox advert. Feeks like MS hasn't bothered to show up.

Polymath

Neo Member
Oh shit. I'm heading down tomorrow, it's gonna be even worse :/

Though I haven't been in yet I have walked around the place just to scope things out. There are billboards for PS4 and Beyond everywhere. Even adverts for Destiny. Haven't seen a single Xbox advert. Feeks like MS hasn't bothered to show up.

World of warplanes and War thunder do a good job as well when it comes to advertising.

Crispy75

Oculus Rift - last thing i checked out...
...I thought it was STUNNING. I loved it big time :) - i am a huge 3D fan mind you. This right here is the future of gaming. You could really feel a sense of speed which felt purely amazing.The only problem we all had and agreed on was that it was cleary not in 1080p with the consequence that it wasn't very sharp and the whole picture looked a bit unclean and 'fuzzy'. I thought they had the new 1080p models there? I don't get it.

You have to bear in mind that although the 1080p resolution is there, it just fills much more of your field of view than a normal TV. Kneel on the floor in front of your living room TV and move your head a foot or two away from the screen. This is basically what you're seeing through the Rift. You can see the pixels. It will take 4K screens to make VR look truly "sharp".

Kinan

Funniest thing I saw at Gamescom was Bundeswehr recruiting booth.
"So, you like to shoot stuff, son? How about a real deal? Sign here and here."
Would be even more amusing have they been near the Arma booth. :)

Reminded me of Harrison's "Bill the galactic hero", if you now what I mean.

Went to gamescom three years in a row, but not anymore. Waiting lines are ridiculous and the huge crowds are frightening. Just gonna sit on a lazy couch and watch the good stuff, although that does not compare to being there in person.

Salih

You have to bear in mind that although the 1080p resolution is there, it just fills much more of your field of view than a normal TV. Kneel on the floor in front of your living room TV and move your head a foot or two away from the screen. This is basically what you're seeing through the Rift. You can see the pixels. It will take 4K screens to make VR look truly "sharp".

well that makes sense. thanks for your input.
but wouldn't that mean that it could harm your eyes more easily than just looking at a regular TV from a normal distance?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Funniest thing I saw at Gamescom was Bundeswehr recruiting booth.
"So, you like to shoot stuff, son? How about a real deal? Sign here and here."
Would be even more amusing have they been near the Arma booth. :)

Reminded me of Harrison's "Bill the galactic hero", if you now what I mean.
Bundeswehr has been there since the beginnings in Leipzig. Look at the crowd, mostly young men and since we don't have compulsory military service anymore...

Polymath

Neo Member
Awesome images, Polymath!

Thank you that makes me feel better.
The constant people walking in front of my camera and or pushing didn't make it easier for me.

i guess if i had more then 1 day of practice with that Canon eos 60d it would be better.

Persona86

Banned
but wouldn't that mean that it could harm your eyes more easily than just looking at a regular TV from a normal distance?

Nah it's better than watching TV (well at least a monitor up close). The lenses are set to infinity, so our eyes are relaxed.

Crispy75

Nah, you're ok, because the lenses in the rift refocus the screen at infinity. Instead of being like kneeling a foot away from your TV, you're looking at a screen hundreds of feet tall, with pixels the size of pizza boxes.

Top Bottom