• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamescom Impressions from the show floor.

This seems to be thing though across many gamers. All four of us liked the DS4 better even though we think the 360 controller is pretty much perfect apart from the dpad. It's like I'm living in bizarro land where the DS4 is good and the one controller is so-so.
This is very encouraging to me. I'm planning on getting the PS4 and the controller has been my biggest hangup. I love the 360 controller, and like you, I consider it close to perfect apart from the dpad (which I almost never need to use). On the other hand, I hate the DS3 to a degree that many would consider irrational. I mean I absolutely despise that controller, and when I hear people say they like it, I want to grab them by the collar and shake them while explaining to them why it is objectively awful. Ahem...so yeah, I hate the DS3.

Due to that, I almost can't get my brain to accept that the DS4 will be good. I fully expect it to be improved significantly, but I'm still incredibly skeptical due to my DS3 hatred. After reading your comments and the others from this thread, I'm starting to lose some of that skepticism. I'll probably need to use the dang thing before I can fully accept that it is as good as people are saying, but I'm starting to believe. Thanks for the impressions. Bizarro land indeed.

Jarmel

Banned
Destiny still isn't playable? Are you sure? What the fuck. They were going on about how there were like three floors of playable kiosks or some other nonsense.

The game is supposed to come out mid 2014 at the latest.

Ran rp

no, there were no remote play demos im afraid. btw this pets game on vita is crap. controls really sucks and IQ is like it is on 3ds. tearaway, on the other hand , is really charming and full of style.

Ok, I'm really out. Gonna dream about those amazing wet asphalt textures in Infamous. With realtime reflections. Mmmm.

How does the pets game play? Like Nintendogs?

Dawg

imaget7uoa.jpg

1500 pieces of Geralt manliness.

Best goodie evah

Dawg

I'd just like to add that Wolfenstein: The New Order is a pretty solid game.

I really enjoyed dual wielding guns while shooting down nazis. And there's a couple of very cool scenes in the demo too. Definitely worth checking out. Don't want to spoil the cool moments, so go play it if you got the time.

JJD

I really enjoyed dual wielding guns while shooting down nazis. And there's a couple of very cool scenes in the demo too. Definitely worth checking out. Don't want to spoil the cool moments, so go play it if you got the time.

Give us your Witcher impressions!!!

And answer our wolf fur questions! ;-)

Dawg

Give us your Witcher impressions!!!

And answer our wolf fur questions! ;-)

It's 3am atm so I'm too tired to type out the entire thing, but I believe the answer to the wolf fur question was: they very much like to do it, but it depends on the console hardware. They're still in very early alpha so they're not yet 100% sure the hardware will run it, but they'd do their very best.

JJD

It's 3am atm so I'm too tired to type out the entire thing, but I believe the answer to the wolf fur question was: they very much like to do it, but it depends on the console hardware. They're still in very early alpha so they're not yet 100% sure the hardware will run it, but they'd do their very best.

That's good enough for me! Thanks Dawg!

2. Infamous looks better than any media I have seen on that title. Just phenomenal. Before the gameplay demo a trailer was playing, and it was looking rather average due to compression, probably, but than game started and wow. Textures are crisp, particles are flying, framerate seemed quite stable, a lot of dynamic object destruction and creation. Definitely most impressive PS4 title so far, looks to be sure must buy.
If this is true (and judging by Kinan's impressions which are all over the place and not one-sided and biased, I'm guessing it is) then that whole narrative about Infamous bullshots and the game not looking as good as the media or that it's running on a PC is out the window. Many people said not to trust the compressed Youtube vids but many ignored that and still took screencaps off em to try to prove the game doesn't look that good. So much for that.

DJIzana

I love all these impressions I'm reading... thanks guys! :D

I'm super hyped for AC4 the most, from what we've seen, personally. Any Watch Dogs impressions?

MercuryLS

Banned
This seems to be thing though across many gamers. All four of us liked the DS4 better even though we think the 360 controller is pretty much perfect apart from the dpad. It's like I'm living in bizarro land where the DS4 is good and the one controller is so-so.

I wanted to also ask, how does the DS4 compare to the 360 pad (minus the crappy d-pad). What about the Xbox One controller didn't you like?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Was Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer on the show floor? Or was it the same E3 demo? If single player E3 demo, was it a more recent build?

How can there be like zero news on this game :(

Kinan

PSY・S;77623549 said:
How does the pets game play? Like Nintendogs?

There were two modes available - adventure and at home. I tried adventure, probably at home is more nintedogs like. In the adventure you are outside on some kind of a quest, to walk you need to draw a path on screen for your pet, to duck you need to draw a short horizontal line starting from you pets head, to save your pet from falling from a breaking bridge you need to touch his tail repeatedly. Gave up after 10 minutes.

Lima

I wanted to also ask, how does the DS4 compare to the 360 pad (minus the crappy d-pad). What about the Xbox One controller didn't you like?

Well it's still the Dualshock, make no mistake. So if you don't like the position of the sticks at all you are not gonna fall in love with the thing. They fixed almost all things wrong with the DS3. The sticks are further apart, concave and a lot stiffer with more resistance to them. The handles are longer so it doesn't feel so small and the rubber texture is really nice, feels grippy.
Your fingers naturally rest on the triggers which feel very good.

Now the X1 controller...
The sticks are too loose and react to the smallest amount of movement. That by itself is not really a bad thing if they had done it right because I think they went a little overboard with it. Basically pick up your PS3 controller and that is how the sticks feel on the One now. Ugh.
The rumble in the trigger? Neat concept, completely useless in reality. First thing I will turn of when I get the thing. The triggers itself are very nice though. I was a bit worried since they made them bigger but they feel very natural.
LB and RB. They are shit. Harder to reach and since they made them clicky you have to press them down with the force of a hammer.
The Dpad seems definitely improved so I guess there is that. But IMO that should have been the only change. You would have the perfect controller if you put the X1 dpad in the 360 controller.

Kinan

Was Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer on the show floor? Or was it the same E3 demo? If single player E3 demo, was it a more recent build?

Its not playable by attendees, only single player off-hands demos made by staff. Its same forest level of e3, no idea if its an updated build or not.

Duxxy3

Well it's still the Dualshock, make no mistake. So if you don't like the position of the sticks at all you are not gonna fall in love with the thing. They fixed almost all things wrong with the DS3. The sticks are further apart, concave and a lot stiffer with more resistance to them. The handles are longer so it doesn't feel so small and the rubber texture is really nice, feels grippy.

Now the X1 controller...
The sticks are too loose and react to the smallest amount of movement. That by itself is not really a bad thing if they had done it right because I think they went a little overboard with it. Basically pick up your PS3 controller and that is how the sticks feel on the One now. Ugh.
The rumble in the trigger? Neat concept, completely useless in reality. First thing I will turn of when I get the thing. The triggers itself are very nice though. I was a bit worried since they made them bigger but they feel very natural.
LB and RB. They are shit. Harder to reach and since they made them clicky you have to press them down with the force of a hammer.
The Dpad seems definitely improved so I guess there is that. But IMO that should have been the only change. You would have the perfect controller if you put the X1 dpad in the 360 controller.

Well that kills any hype I had for an xbox PC controller.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Now the X1 controller...
Thanks for the impressions! Why are you going to turn off the rumble triggers? Do they interfere a bit with the controls?

KKRT00

If this is true (and judging by Kinan's impressions which are all over the place and not one-sided and biased, I'm guessing it is) then that whole narrative about Infamous bullshots and the game not looking as good as the media or that it's running on a PC is out the window. Many people said not to trust the compressed Youtube vids but many ignored that and still took screencaps off em to try to prove the game doesn't look that good. So much for that.

Shocking news! Games look better on good TV and from direct source.

We have direct feed shots and high quality videos, its no different than other games.

Lima

Thanks for the impressions! Why are you going to turn off the rumble triggers? Do they interfere a bit with the controls?

It was irritating. When I pulled LT to brake in Forza I immediately let go of it. Maybe that is something you can get used to. Then again I'm not a fan of the regular rumble.

nib95

Banned

Now the X1 controller...

Strange to read this given they spent $100 million R&D'ing this thing. Surely they should have picked up on the loose sticks of the DS3 being one of the biggest complaints about it? I actually like loose sticks for racers etc, so no page out of my book. But I feel like many are going to be unhappy about that. Along with the LB/RB buttons which have been complained about a few times now.

The PS4/XO is more of a switch'e'roo of the PS3/360 than initially anticipated lol. On specs, development complexity, unified ram, controller, hardware size, price, all sorts lol.

Videos:

PS4 Driveclub Demo Station booting up

Video starts the moment TV notices changes on the input due to restart.

Knack snippets

Blur is due to AF fail on camera.:/

Titan on the show floor

AC4 is uploading, will post later.

Cool dude. Thanks for updates. Shame you didn't get more gameplay :(

Any Killzone SF MP, GT6 or Forza 5 impressions?

Alx

we got a small introduction with some moves, like grapling (didn't work for me, but the Ubi woman did it so this was propably me), punches, kicks. You just do it and the kinekt recognizes which arm or leg is being used. If you lean back, you can dodge and with leaning forward your charakter moves forward. Somehow it is possible to dodge sideway, don't know how. Made it one time by mistake, the Ubi woman told me before I played it would be a 2D only fighter , but that seems wrong.

You can block attacks by holding your arms in front of you like all the fighting games charakters do it in the games, or real boxers. Also if you put your arms up, you can fill a special bar to do some awesome attacks. The game also recognizes when you are going into your knees.Doing multiple punches and kicks in a row results in a combo.

In theory it should work, but it seems like you have to do the gestures exactly like the game intended. Often my charakter didn't move forward when I leaned forward, grappling didn't work. Also there is a really noticable lag when doing your attacks. I won my first match against the Ubisoft woman, but lost the second and third. Somehow doing randomly fast punches gave her the edge, but I wanted to do some controlled attacks and did not really have a chance.

It wasn't really boring, but I don't see it working as a decent fighter in its current state (this can change, potential is there). Was fun for one round, but didn't really feel the need for another try after playing it. Also the game crashed once while a friend of mine was playing.

A cool feature was the ability to take sticks as weapons from the ground or use a pole for a pole round kick. But myself did not do this move, but it was used against me.

In comparism, the 7 year ols Wii Sports boxing felt like more control over your charakter. but of course you can't do kicks there. The blocking is actually quite similar.

Thank you very much for those impressions, they're very interesting. It looks like a very flawed game indeed, but I still find it intriguing. I'll keep my expectations low, but if the game is less than 40€ (one can dream) I may buy it at launch.

I'm interested in that game because former Starbreeze is working on it. If you have played Riddick and The Darkness, did you see any improvements on the shooting front? Could you sprint? Aim down sights? Does it feel old style with modern flourish or modern style with old school nods like dual wielding?

Superfrog

Did anyone have the chance to compare any of the major PS4/XB1 3rd-party offerings? Like NFS Rivals, CoD, BF, the Ubisoft titles, etc - how do they look compared on both platforms? Any differences (major or minor)?

GlamFM

Banned
Did anyone have the chance to compare any of the major PS4/XB1 3rd-party offerings? Like NFS Rivals, CoD, BF, the Ubisoft titles, etc - how do they look compared on both platforms? Any differences (major or minor)?

As far as I can tell no game was displayed both platforms.

Ubisoft titles ran of PCs, all I remember from NFS is that I was holding a PS4 controller - don´t know if it was plugged into a PC or a PS4.

Need impressions from
BSM7AS9IYAAU1Gy.jpg:large

At best from people who tried the normal non FullHD Devkit and can compare it too the FullHD one

Shiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. If I'd knew Oculus were there I'd have went to cologne this year. Just had no excitement at all to punch myself through the hordes of console-enthusiasts.

It was there!?! The only thing I saw was some sort if weird Witcher photo booth.

Yeah, in the business area.

Yes, playable for press in an hotel. New build. It looks really, really good. I only watched, as all the playable spots were taken during the session I attended. Games are very customizable and it looks crisp as hell.

I second Wolfenstein being good fun. Dual-wielding heavy weapons feels good.

And tech demos from The Order were shown behind closed doors:

http://www.el33tonline.com/post/2013/08/21/the-order-1886s-advanced-physics-system-revealed-at-gamescom-2013/

newsguy

Still no NBA2K14 footage on next gen (apart from that dodgy LeBron head we seen at E3? Starting to think it doesnt exist ... lol

Not sure Germany is the place for it. Same with Madden. Once the current gen version launches I'm sure the info and videos will start to roll in.

p3tran

Banned
Correct, I hated the DS3. ;)

me too, so I am very glad to hear about the new playstation gamepad!

one more q:

you said you played the crew.
tell us about it. did you like it? how does it stack handling-wise?
and also, did you get a sense of scale of how big the "world map" really is?

GlamFM

Banned
me too, so I am very glad to hear about the new playstation gamepad!

one more q:

you said you played the crew.
tell us about it. did you like it? how does it stack handling-wise?
and also, did you get a sense of scale of how big the "world map" really is?

It looked like stupid fun.

First section of the demo was a time trial through woods, in the second part we had to chase down a car in downtown miami.

Demo was very restricted so I didn´t get a sense for the scale at all.

Was surprised how detailed the woods were. Miami looked very bland though.

p3tran

Banned
It looked like stupid fun.

First section of the demo was a time trial through woods, in the second part we had to chase down a car in downtown miami.

Demo was very restricted so I didn´t get a sense for the scale at all.

Was surprised how detailed the woods were. Miami looked very bland though.

good! handling?
very arcade or semi? (i dont put also "bad?" as a choice, since you wrote it was stupid fun :D )

Kinan

Also played through demo of Lightning Returns on Xbox. Looked pretty average, imo, and combat has not really clicked with me. It was like use up APs on one bar, switch costume, used up AP, switch again, use up, switch back to the first one which then already filled - repeat. Do not forget to press block when you see this nicely displayed preparation of the attack from the enemy, and thats it. Demo version was also stocked with super potions which you can use in fight through pressing start button. Demo boss was sensitive to magic, so you got to spam that until he breaks, and then spam him again until he is done. Framerate was fine. Didn't have time to check if PS3 version looks better.

Top Bottom